OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

Very important: brewery density in Bavaria

bewerydens.jpg

(and rest assured, it's not too different in the rest of Germany)

I made this Roman expansion map using the QBAM. I like the format and I've been working to correct errors and improve the color scheme, but I'm not totally satisfied yet. Macedonia especially needs more nuance.

Edit: There are actually several rather careless areas that will require more reading on my part to correct. Besides Macedonia, Spain and Cisalpine Gaul are kind of a mess. I need to confirm what it shows in Africa. Consider this a WIP.

rome expansion flat.png

Last edited:
I made this Roman expansion map using the QBAM. I like the format and I've been working to correct errors and improve the color scheme, but I'm not totally satisfied yet. Macedonia especially needs more nuance.

Edit: There are actually several rather careless areas that will require more reading on my part to correct. Besides Macedonia, Spain and Cisalpine Gaul are kind of a mess. I need to confirm what it shows in Africa. Consider this a WIP.

View attachment 395814
Great!

View attachment 396060
Good map. Most noticable: Arabian coast 25 BC??

Good map. Most noticable: Arabian coast 25 BC??

That's the campaign of Aelius Gallus. It was a total failure, so I wasn't going to include it, but he did capture some towns on the way and so it falls under a broad definition of "temporary conquest." When I made the key bigger and found that it extended the map exactly that far to the south, I decided that I may as well include that expedition.

I'm continuing to tweak the map. It's difficult sometimes to say when exactly an area was Romanized. In almost every territory that Rome conquered, it spent time as a client state before being completely annexed. Clientage meant very different levels of independence depending on the time and place, so it's a judgment call when to call a place "Roman". In general the map shows annexation, but that seems misleading in some cases.

Here's a somewhat fine-tuned map. I'm still not completely happy using annexation as the main criterion, but I don't know of any better way to show it that's anything but "when False Dmitri feels like considering it Roman." The one exception is Crimea, which was not annexed until the 6th century. The date indicates the arrival of a permanent Roman garrison. This may be a better criterion to use, but it's difficult to find that information in all cases.

rome expansion flat.png

Last edited:
That's the campaign of Aelius Gallus. It was a total failure, so I wasn't going to include it, but he did capture some towns on the way and so it falls under a broad definition of "temporary conquest." When I made the key bigger and found that it extended the map exactly that far to the south, I decided that I may as well include that expedition.

I'm continuing to tweak the map. It's difficult sometimes to say when exactly an area was Romanized. In almost every territory that Rome conquered, it spent time as a client state before being completely annexed. Clientage meant very different levels of independence depending on the time and place, so it's a judgment call when to call a place "Roman". In general the map shows annexation, but that seems misleading in some cases.

Here's a somewhat fine-tuned map. I'm still not completely happy using annexation as the main criterion, but I don't know of any better way to show it that's anything but "when False Dmitri feels like considering it Roman." The one exception is Crimea, which was not annexed until the 6th century. The date indicates the arrival of a permanent Roman garrison. This may be a better criterion to use, but it's difficult to find that information in all cases.

View attachment 397547

Some materials for you.
800px-Conquista_Hispania.svg.png

oh shit it's that time of year again

August 2018
upload_2018-8-10_11-29-5.png

Previous Versions
January 2018
April 2018

Changes from April 2018

AMERICA
- Dutch Caribbean now more accurate
- Autonomous City of Buenos Aires and Mar Chiquita added

EUROPE
- Added Rockall
- French territories now correct colour

AFRICA
- Updated Libyan civil war
- Added Sudanese states
- Somaliland now shown as independent
- South Sudanese civil war removed due to lack of accurate and updated information
- Somalian claim on Ogaden removed

ASIA-PACIFIC
- Taiwanese claims now shown
- Changed colour of Myanmar
- Added outline around Bougainville
- Updated wars in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and Afghanistan
- Syrian claim on Hatay now shown

ANTARCTICA
- Norwegian and Argentinian claims now have correct colours

Last edited:
oh shit it's that time of year again

August 2018
View attachment 401034

Previous Versions
January 2018
April 2018

Changes from April 2018

AMERICA
- Dutch Caribbean now more accurate

EUROPE
- Added Rockall
- French territories now correct colour

AFRICA
- Updated Libyan civil war
- Added Sudanese states
- Somaliland now shown as independent

ASIA-PACIFIC
- Taiwanese claims now shown
- Changed colour of Myanmar
- Added outline around Bougainville
- Updated war in Iraq and Syria
- Syrian claim on Hatay now shown

ANTARCTICA
- Norwegian and Argentinian claims now have correct colours

Excellent work, but Argentina lacks the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires and Mar Chiquita Lake:

upload_2018-8-10_1-24-9.png

Also, does Somalia officially claims the Ogaden?

anyway here's what the netherlands is called in various different languages

upload_2018-8-29_17-34-56.png

(not all variants are accounted for. i just used the one in the title of the wikipedia page)

Yeah in Spanish in common parlance we usually use "Holanda" rather than "Países Bajos". Much like "Inglaterra" instead of "Reino Unido".

Yep, and here in South Germany I have so far not really heard anyone saying Niderland (and what's with swallowing the e?), and indeed, Holland is here also much more common in informal speech.

Yeah in Spanish in common parlance we usually use "Holanda" rather than "Países Bajos". Much like "Inglaterra" instead of "Reino Unido".

Yep, and here in South Germany I have so far not really heard anyone saying Niderland (and what's with swallowing the e?), and indeed, Holland is here also much more common in informal speech.

like the text at the bottom says i just used the titles of the respective languages' wikipedia pages (Países Bajos, Niderland) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯