Very Minor PODs

Everything where you wonder why Disney did not go forward with something during the 1990s and 2000s, or why they did something wrong or downright awful is down to Euro Disney. It was a failure and a giant sinkhole of money. No Euro Disney means so much more prosperity for Disney and so much more freedom to make major efforts that would be successful.

Everything where you wonder why Disney did not go forward with something during the 1990s and 2000s, or why they did something wrong or downright awful is down to Euro Disney. It was a failure and a giant sinkhole of money. No Euro Disney means so much more prosperity for Disney and so much more freedom to make major efforts that would be successful.

Failure aside, am curious to know what locations in Italy and the UK were considered prior to being narrowed down to Spain and France in OTL?

it's important to note that Euro Disney only failed at first--the park is still open today and quite a success, as I understand it (also, their whole Tomorrowland is retrofuturistic based on Jules Verne and they've got a huge Frontierland, which also includes their version of the Haunted Mansion, because apparently the French are equally huge fans of Westerns)

it's important to note that Euro Disney only failed at first--the park is still open today and quite a success, as I understand it (also, their whole Tomorrowland is retrofuturistic based on Jules Verne and they've got a huge Frontierland, which also includes their version of the Haunted Mansion, because apparently the French are equally huge fans of Westerns)

It's failing at first is the reason why Disney's Renaissance dwindled and died, why later on you had the straight-to-video sequels to recoup financial losses, why Disney did not open other theme parks, why new theme park attractions in the 90s to early 2000s were cancelled or underfunded, why many other Disney ventures were shut down or cancelled, and why Michael Eisner was eventually forced out. I recommend the Defunctland series of videos. Basically, anything that did not come, sucked or got cancelled/closed by Disney during Eisner's administration was usually because of Euro Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVo63lbKHjC04KqYhwSZ_Pg/videos

It's failing at first is the reason why Disney's Renaissance dwindled and died, why later on you had the straight-to-video sequels to recoup financial losses, why Disney did not open other theme parks, why new theme park attractions in the 90s to early 2000s were cancelled or underfunded, why many other Disney ventures were shut down or cancelled, and why Michael Eisner was eventually forced out. I recommend the Defunctland series of videos. Basically, anything that did not come, sucked or got cancelled/closed by Disney during Eisner's administration was usually because of Euro Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVo63lbKHjC04KqYhwSZ_Pg/videos
been watchin' Defunctland for quite a while, fellow emperor ;)

Any minor PODs related to Robert Kennedy? I know of one relating to John Glenn, he was running for the Ohioan Senate seat but early in the race slipped and injured his head while fixing a mirror. If this didn’t happen he would have likely have become a senator earlier in 1965.

Caroll Spinney is the long-time voice and puppeteer of the iconic Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch of Sesame Street. In the 1980s, Spinney made it his mission to get aboard a manned space mission, but instead a teacher was chosen.

By now you probably understand I was referring to the Challenger.

Given that Sesame Street had already lost Mr. Hooper two years prior and would be absolutely reelin from the loss of the puppeteer of TWO of its most well-known characters, what is the future of Sesame Street if Caroll Spinney dies aboard the Challenger?

USFL remains a spring league. Develops good relationship with NFL. It evolves into smaller developmental league.

Main rivalry is with CFL

USFL remains a spring league. Develops good relationship with NFL. It evolves into smaller developmental league.

Main rivalry is with CFL

Kind of like NFL Europe but domestic, bigger and probably more wide-open and wild. I see it as less a purposeful developmental league and more a place where guys who don’t catch on go. Or in time, if the NFL stubbornly refuses to lift its three-year wait time, players who don’t like college go there to develop as an alternative, so it kind of combines a minor league, a G-league, and NFL Europe, and a second-tier league. Players there maybe make $100,000 instead of millions. Some major cities keep their teams but it becomes a hallmark of medium-size cities and college towns (I see Columbus, OH having a team along with the likes of Vegas, Fresno, Jacksonville and Baltimore.)

An interesting wrinkle - what about cities that got NFL teams after the dawn of the USFL? Say the Stars stick around in Baltimore - is the city so eager or even willing to rope in the Browns? Does this stall NFL expansion - or act as a catalyst? Does Phoenix snap up ten Cardinals when it has the Outlaws? And are some cities big enough to handle both? I’m looking at places like NYC, Houston, Chicago and LA; for that matter, if the USFL sticks around and the Invaders Park it in San Jose, is there any reason for the Raiders to leave LA?

If I had the time, I’d put in a POD where Donald Trump buys an NFL team and doesn’t get near the USFL, and it remains a spring league that, while it falls on some tough times, survives and grows beyond the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Houdini

In 1926, Harry Houdini hired H. P. Lovecraft and his friend C. M. Eddy, Jr., to write an entire book about debunking religious miracles, which was to be called The Cancer of Superstition. Houdini had earlier asked Lovecraft to write an article about astrology, for which he paid $75. The article does not survive. Lovecraft's detailed synopsis for Cancer does survive, as do three chapters of the treatise written by Eddy. Houdini's death derailed the plans, as his widow did not wish to pursue the project.[89]

Another factor for the 1960 Election discussions.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about-jfk/jfk-in-history/john-f-kennedy-and-religion

Late in October, three American-born bishops in Puerto Rico issued a statement forbidding Catholics from voting for candidates who disagreed with the Church on abortion and birth control. Kennedy initially decided to respond to their declaration, but finally concluded that it was unwise to focus too much attention on this potentially damaging incident. Several studies have concluded that this controversy, coming at the worst possible time, was a significant factor in the sudden halt in Kennedy’s momentum and the surge toward Nixon in the final days of the campaign.

So I had an epiphany. And this is based on our whole kinda of alternate Beatles / Rock lineups thing. But not music:
I think Larry Fine of the Three Stooges would have been suited to being a Marx Brother.

FDRFan1943

Banned
On the topic of coin tosses:

• Ritchie Valens won his seat on the plane with Buddy Holly in a coin toss with Tommy Allsup.
  • Waylon Jennings gave his seat to the Big Bopper, who had come down with the flu.
Minor PODs (the first one more minor, though), but one that has huge music consequences.

Major buttefiles for Dukes of Hazzard if Waylon Jennings didn't give his seat to the Big Bopper.

The security guard who threw Adam Walsh out of that department store with those troublemaking boys instead decides to look for his parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Adam_Walsh

There would have been no America's Most Wanted, and this guy may never have been caught:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_List

Big Star join a label that actually gives them the backing they deserve.

That's a pretty good one. One of the biggest tragedies in music history.

Steve McQueen is at Sharon Tate's house when the Mansons' come calling?

That is an urban legend.

Last edited:
Shannen Doherty was cast as Heather Duke, one of the three "mean girls" named Heather, in the 1989 dark comedy Heathers. But according to that source of all truth Wikipedia, she apparently was originally interested in the role of Veronica, the main character.

If Shannen Doherty played Veronica, that's a changed movie for sure, and changed careers for both her and Winona Ryder (who played Veronica in the actual movie).

WI: William Proxmire is nixed in trying to kill the Saturn, it has low level LEO flights in the 1970s, and then in the 1980s Reagan goes space nuts (because he's Star Wars loving Ronnie), blows arms race levels of money, and we get a second space age in the 1980s?

Last edited: