From Exile to Triumph: a Western Roman Timeline

The WRE should have superiority over the barbarians by virtue of greater organization of the state(greater control over the countryside,better logistics and military organization).Unlike the later medieval period,the barbarians are generally unable to maintain control over a large tract of territory if they lose a major battle,this just shows how weak their control over the countryside is.

If Rome manages told hold Italy, they're good. Just focus on remaining stable and grab any low hanging fruit that appears due to barbarian infighting. Key is to be stronger than them once Vikings, Arabs and Magyars come to the neighborhood.
That s why I dedicated so many updates to the stabilisation of Italy instead of just going to the part where the Romans smash everything. Such slow recovery will allow them to properly implement the needed reforms to each province of the empire while exploring the local realities.
Well, a bit more than above - not in terms of military strength, sure, but for prestige and legitimacy and religious matters (albeit the Franks didn't convert yet and the Visigoths are the champions of Western Arianism at the moment) the Empire would look far better in the eyes the Frank, the Vandal, the Burgundians and the Visigothic realms. Is a mere statement of fact - those four realms took Imperial lands and have Roman subjects and are surrounded by Roman culture. The Roman-Barbarian kingdoms would always have an inferiority complex towards the WRE, and a WRE which stabililized its Northern and Eastern fronts.

But this may drive those realms, in becoming better, more civilized, more assertive to Roman traditions and laws. They may still strenght themselves as the Empire could after all.

I don't deny my thought over comparisons of power came out over the entire Byzantine history, which burned out her supremacy over Italy to then see periods of swings till 1204. And at the point, the ERE's wealth was decisively surpassed by the Italian one. Only, Italy was a patchwork at the time, while early Paleologic ERE was still a "Megali Hellas". Here, we have an united Western Imperial Italy, being essentially the WRE, and a ERE still intact but more open to strifes and internal weakness. Here is maybe the heart of the consideration. The WRE is strong (more exact balanced) internally but unable to project a true external power, the WRE is weaker internally and powerful on her external projection. And in the long term internal stability would always prevail in the preservation of a country...

Pannonia would be for centuries the underbelly of the empire - any people coming East would try to enter from there to reach Italy. Is the only viable access after all. I noticed in the last chapters how Rome and Theodoric attempted to strenght their power against each other, but I can concede that for now a compromise was reached Pannonia is likely able to become "Gothia" or "Ostrogothia" or the Ostrogoths to become "Pannonians" in the long term. I just wonder if we will see a Dux or a Rex of Pannonia in the end... Much depending of the degree of autonomy Pannonia will get from Rome in the end. Or maybe none at all...

Mediolanum is set to stay the main city of the North, and an important bishopric because a basilica of Saint Ambrose will rise anyway. If else the underground sociocultural competition between Mediolanum and Rome would emerge in other forms.

Ticinum would remain a lesser city, maybe may get in a certain point a bishop but is unlikely would get the glory of Pavia.

Venice... Well is probable a town of "Rialtum" will emerge anyway (the island was certainly habitated by almost 50 years) but there are too many competitors (Aquileia, Forum Iulii, Heraclea) which would survive albeit still on the teethering Italic border. For a "Venice" to rise two ways IMO could be viable 1) as OTL, Aquileia and the surroundings are plundered so badly many would escape in the Lagoon. 2) The Empire would see in the Lagoon a great harbour and naval fort and a trade hub with Germania and Central Europe but A) Salona may face some economic difficulties B) Ravenna became interred C) an Emperor must desire this development.

About the language, I was thinking more over a evolutionary process like it happened with Greek; some grammar changes with the time, but modern and ancient forms were more or less the same. Besides, OTL speak Latin is considered different from the moment today we forgot if the Romans pronounced or not a dipthong. (Most notable example they said Caesar or Cesar?). Right now we are still in a phase where Latin and Barbarian languages are definitely separed; the fact how a Neo Latin language will rise or not will depend from the direction of this TL. So is all up on the air right now.

And I can't wait for those new updates!
Of course, I was more referring about lands and resources available to a single ruler rather than prestige. Not even an empire reduced to Italy only, will be able to delete the force of attraction that was Rome and its history.

About the ere, as I said in a previous post this timeline will quickly become a story about both empires. Therefore it s not really probable to see an eastern Roman screw here ( but I am willing to change idea, if enough readers prefer this option), like it was OTL.

Everything will depend on the leadership of both empires and on the internal changes that will occur during the timeline.

I agree with the threat posed by eastern populations that could invade Italy through Pannonia but I don t want to spoiler much here about the goths and friends. We will see how long this deal can last...

You touched an interesting point with Venice. I can only say at the moment that it’s fate has not been decided yet, so I would gladly accept any suggestion, however if possible I would like to avoid the total decline of Aquileia and Ravenna ( I don’t know exactly if the last one is feasible considering the problem you mentioned that will hit the city).

Finally about the new updates, I can say that I already know the contents of the next updates (and some of them will really give some sprint to the story), the problem is the time necessary to write them. Considering that I m planning to continue this TL for at least 3 century ( and maybe in the future I could start a new story), I think that soon I will need to stop with the single year update (barring exceptional periods).
The WRE should have superiority over the barbarians by virtue of greater organization of the state(greater control over the countryside,better logistics and military organization).Unlike the later medieval period,the barbarians are generally unable to maintain control over a large tract of territory if they lose a major battle,this just shows how weak their control over the countryside is.
I was more referring about territory and resources available. But you’re right, this kingdoms are still young creations with weak control over the territory and soon you will see an example of it.

About the ere, as I said in a previous post this timeline will quickly become a story about both empires. Therefore it s not really probable to see an eastern Roman screw here ( but I am willing to change idea, if enough readers prefer this option), like it was OTL.
I very much prefer a timeline with both empires alive.

About Ravenna: the role of the city is already reduced TTL, because doesn't have anymore Imperial capital rank. It wouldn't be the capital of the Ostrogoths, and neither the core of the Esarchate. It would be however still the headquarters of the Adriatic Classis and the harbour of most of the Padan plain which looks to Eastern routes. Hence could still prosper as commercial city. As long to keep clean and working the Fossa Augusta and the various canals and smaller rivers...

About Ravenna: the role of the city is already reduced TTL, because doesn't have anymore Imperial capital rank. It wouldn't be the capital of the Ostrogoths, and neither the core of the Esarchate. It would be however still the headquarters of the Adriatic Classis and the harbour of most of the Padan plain which looks to Eastern routes. Hence could still prosper as commercial city. As long to keep clean and working the Fossa Augusta and the various canals and smaller rivers...
Well it could occasionally recover the status of capital, after all not every single emperor will follow the policy of his predecessor and what is done now could be undone by one of his successors. Anyway about trade there is a risk that an alternate venice (if it will ever rise, considering the different dinamics that are now affecting Venetia) could indirectly provoke a decline of trade passing through Ravenna. As you said an emperor could support ( or oppose ) such event so I will take some time to think about it, meanwhile I will also listen every opinion about this topic.
Finally I was thinking about one thing today: Apollinaris iunior and Eparchius are cousins and both descendants of the emperor Avitus. This could provide the material necessary for the rise of a faction ( let’s call it the “Gallic” faction) opposed to the imperial/eastern faction ( composed by the descendants and relatives of Procopius Anthemius). A third faction could be an italic/senatorial one. Each of these faction would support different policies, doctrines and interest (like the blue and the green in Constantinople). I still need to work on it so let me know if you like the idea and want to see it implemented or feel that it is somewhat artificial.

Last edited:
Well it could occasionally recover the status of capital, after all not every single emperor will follow the policy of his predecessor and what is done now could be undone by one of his successors. Anyway about trade there is a risk that an alternate venice (if it will ever rise, considering the different dinamics that are now affecting Venetia) could indirectly provoke a decline of trade passing through Ravenna. As you said an emperor could support ( or oppose ) such event so I will take some time to think about it, meanwhile I will also listen every opinion about this topic.
Finally I was thinking about one thing today: Apollinaris iunior and Eparchius are both descendant of the emperor Avitus. This could provide the material necessary for the rise of a faction ( let’s call it the “Gallic” faction) opposed to the imperial/eastern faction ( composed by the descendants and relatives of Procopius Anthemius). A third faction could be an italic/senatorial one. Each of these faction would support different policies, doctrines and interest (like the blue and the green in Constantinople). I still need to work on it so let me know if you like the idea and want to see it implemented or feel that it is somewhat artificial.
So Nepos is living in Rome right now?

What is with Nepos employing all these descendants of former emperors?Isn't he afraid of them?

So Nepos is living in Rome right now?

What is with Nepos employing all these descendants of former emperors?Isn't he afraid of them?
Now is back in Rome after some years spent between Salona and Sirmium.
About the descendants of former emperors I can just say that I like to use historical characters ( or fictional characters related to real one). However some of them ( the descendants of Procopius Anthemius) are now part of his family while eparchius is the son of the men who helped him against Odoacer so they should not represent a threat at the moment but in the future I will try to develop more interesting fictional character.

Finally I was thinking about one thing today: Apollinaris iunior and Eparchius are cousins and both descendants of the emperor Avitus. This could provide the material necessary for the rise of a faction ( let’s call it the “Gallic” faction) opposed to the imperial/eastern faction ( composed by the descendants and relatives of Procopius Anthemius). A third faction could be an italic/senatorial one. Each of these faction would support different policies, doctrines and interest (like the blue and the green in Constantinople). I still need to work on it so let me know if you like the idea and want to see it implemented or feel that it is somewhat artificial.

Trade routes would shift during ages by various factors, one of the reasons of the rise of Venice was being an optimal node between Italy and Germany, when the latter was a settled as civilized and productive area and where the Alps is more easy to cross. For the sixth century however Germania won't be at all an interesting market unless for gold, iron and amber, and still Roman merchants wanting to trade north of the Alps would surely privilege safer Noricum than crossing the Danube. And whatever will come from and going towards Pannonia will prefer moving across Dalmatia and Salona, from where going towards Constantinople, or towards Ravenna and Ancona then Mediolanum or Rome... Anyway is not the time to shine for the Northeast of Italy. Just there are not the right preconditions. And more than Aquileia, the major city of Venetia will likely become Patavium.

Other cities becoming Imperial capitals in the future is surely a possibility, depending by several factions (civil wars, necessity to oversee more near hot fronts, Emperors wanting to pull a Versailles to punish Rome, etc). But seems unlikely that Rome would lose her primate again or definitely - at least for certain periods - but for the Empire as it is now is the optimal choice. Prestige, position, bureaucratic machine, and the Western Patriarchate, are all good reasons to keep the Eternal City forever and ever as capital. Is not a fact of sympathy, but only of necessity and logic.

Seems also logic that political factions will rise in the Empire. Until Nepos ruled or would rule nobody would dare contest his decisions, because his reign was one of extraordinary circumstances - and the Romans would acknowledge this because, who would want a new Odoacer again? Granted, Nepos's son would be instead a reign under ordinary circumstances, or at least starting to be, because Italy plus Sicily, Dalmatia and Noricum and then Pannonia would come from a period of relative and for the time long internal peace. Hence it would be obvious political factions would rise in influencing the next Emperor. Besides with the Senate rejuvenated, and surely wanting to count again like in the past, or like in Constantinople, political activities would resume... Besides I also like to believe the first post-Odoacer senatorial generation needed to grow as well during Nepos's reign, hence is why it wasn't so operative until now...

Trade routes would shift during ages by various factors, one of the reasons of the rise of Venice was being an optimal node between Italy and Germany, when the latter was a settled as civilized and productive area and where the Alps is more easy to cross. For the sixth century however Germania won't be at all an interesting market unless for gold, iron and amber, and still Roman merchants wanting to trade north of the Alps would surely privilege safer Noricum than crossing the Danube. And whatever will come from and going towards Pannonia will prefer moving across Dalmatia and Salona, from where going towards Constantinople, or towards Ravenna and Ancona then Mediolanum or Rome... Anyway is not the time to shine for the Northeast of Italy. Just there are not the right preconditions. And more than Aquileia, the major city of Venetia will likely become Patavium.

Other cities becoming Imperial capitals in the future is surely a possibility, depending by several factions (civil wars, necessity to oversee more near hot fronts, Emperors wanting to pull a Versailles to punish Rome, etc). But seems unlikely that Rome would lose her primate again or definitely - at least for certain periods - but for the Empire as it is now is the optimal choice. Prestige, position, bureaucratic machine, and the Western Patriarchate, are all good reasons to keep the Eternal City forever and ever as capital. Is not a fact of sympathy, but only of necessity and logic.

Seems also logic that political factions will rise in the Empire. Until Nepos ruled or would rule nobody would dare contest his decisions, because his reign was one of extraordinary circumstances - and the Romans would acknowledge this because, who would want a new Odoacer again? Granted, Nepos's son would be instead a reign under ordinary circumstances, or at least starting to be, because Italy plus Sicily, Dalmatia and Noricum and then Pannonia would come from a period of relative and for the time long internal peace. Hence it would be obvious political factions would rise in influencing the next Emperor. Besides with the Senate rejuvenated, and surely wanting to count again like in the past, or like in Constantinople, political activities would resume... Besides I also like to believe the first post-Odoacer senatorial generation needed to grow as well during Nepos's reign, hence is why it wasn't so operative until now...
More than Patavium I think that Verona or even Tarvisium could be considered the main city of Venetia but I will return later to this region.

Speaking about Nepos, he surely can be considered a successful emperor, so far, but I don t think that means the senators would acknowledge this and respect every single decision. They will remain loyal to him as long as they are able to prosper. It will be interesting to see the fate of the next emperors ( members of the actual dynasty or not),the rise of a stronger senate and the clash between different religious and political opinion ( an update about these topics could come after the one I’m going to write for Gaul).

Making some personal research today, I noticed when Odoacer seized power Visigoths and Burgundians seized the remnants of Roman Narbonensis, hence Massilia and Arelate and the OTL future Provence would be the only part of the WRE that Nepos didn't recovery yet. True is TTL Nepos closed both eyes after his return and the choice paid dividends, but after 20 and more years the issue may return somehow in the air. Adding also a "remember 410"... And Tolosa hold still the sacked treasury of Rome. I am not saying all of those casus belli may lead to a war: besides the Visigoths and the Burgundians are still technically acknowledged to rule in their lands, but not over OTL Provence or at least not yet. Nor the Franks in Northern Gallia due of Syagrius in the Empire.

Gaul is quite the interesting place, with two talented barbarian rulers (Clovis and Gundobald) and a third which historically should be better than the historians of the time wrote (Alaric II). And a old Emperor proved to be fairly successful in the Empire, with the addition of a barbarian Goth ruler in Pannonia which may look to West if a war will erupt in Gallia... Remains only the Kingdom of the Vandals, but they were already showing the first signals of difficulties and with the battle of Neapolis they chewed too much they could do, so they are likely off the big game generating over Gallia...

Making some personal research today, I noticed when Odoacer seized power Visigoths and Burgundians seized the remnants of Roman Narbonensis, hence Massilia and Arelate and the OTL future Provence would be the only part of the WRE that Nepos didn't recovery yet. True is TTL Nepos closed both eyes after his return and the choice paid dividends, but after 20 and more years the issue may return somehow in the air. Adding also a "remember 410"... And Tolosa hold still the sacked treasury of Rome. I am not saying all of those casus belli may lead to a war: besides the Visigoths and the Burgundians are still technically acknowledged to rule in their lands, but not over OTL Provence or at least not yet. Nor the Franks in Northern Gallia due of Syagrius in the Empire.

Gaul is quite the interesting place, with two talented barbarian rulers (Clovis and Gundobald) and a third which historically should be better than the historians of the time wrote (Alaric II). And a old Emperor proved to be fairly successful in the Empire, with the addition of a barbarian Goth ruler in Pannonia which may look to West if a war will erupt in Gallia... Remains only the Kingdom of the Vandals, but they were already showing the first signals of difficulties and with the battle of Neapolis they chewed too much they could do, so they are likely off the big game generating over Gallia...
Well technically Nepos recognised Euricus right to rule over Arelate at the beginning of the timeline. I don t know how much of the sacked treasury of Rome would remain at this point (after a century from the event) however if there will ever be a war between the Romans and the visigoths it will be for slightly different reasons. The question of the Frankish legitimacy will be dealt with in the next update along with the aftermath of the death of Chilpericus II.

Here I will try to make things as interesting as possible, as we could finally see for the first time the WRE actively involved in the events outside Italy. After these 2 updates we will have to return to Rome and maybe to Constantinople...

Survival of the WRE will be adequate to butterfly Islam away.With the WRE still in existence,events like Justinian’s reconquests will be butterflied away and the ERE will be more engaged with the east.

I agree, after over a century of butterflies it is likely Mohammed will never be born or if he is he will be quite different.

I agree, after over a century of butterflies it is likely Mohammed will never be born or if he is he will be quite different.
Really likely but not certain. As I said previously, the rise of Islam it’s really useful for narrative purpose (I have to admit that I don t know their history in details, but their presence would help to keep the story interesting). However I see that a lot of readers share this same opinion so I think that soon I will post a Poll and let you decide the fate of Islam.

Really likely but not certain. As I said previously, the rise of Islam it’s really useful for narrative purpose (I have to admit that I don t know their history in details, but their presence would help to keep the story interesting). However I see that a lot of readers share this same opinion so I think that soon I will post a Poll and let you decide the fate of Islam.
What about we have a Mongol Empire-esque Arab Empire where a Genghis Khan-esque figure united the Arabs instead?

Chapter XXIII: Prelude to the war
Chapter XXIII

Italy wasn’t the only part of the Mediterranean world where events that could decide the fate of kings and peoples took place. During the last decades of the V century, Gaul faced numerous changes. Here one of the several Frankish chieftains, Clovis, undertook the road for hegemony and glory. Slowly emerging from the rest of his peers, Clovis subdued a great number of Frankish tribes under the control of his rivals, before trying to get the biggest prize available to him, Roman Gaul. In 486 AD, after defeating the Magister Militum Syagrius, Clovis ruled over the entirety of northern Gaul, and with this renewed strength (coming from the conquered territory and the few surviving “Roman”units that accepted to serve under him) he attempted to subdue the remaining internal opposition (composed by minor Frankish kings) and external minor entities. During the last decades of the century he also established relations and alliance with several different rulers. He himself married the Burgundian princess Clotilde, Chilpericus’ daughter. In 496 AD, under the pressure of his wife but more importantly after defeating the Alemanni and annexing part of their territory, King Clovis converted to Christianity, avoiding the interlude of Arianism. From this event important consequences would take place, as not only Clovis gained the complete support of the Gallo-Romans but also attracted the interest of the imperial court at Rome.

The Burgundian kingdom was another important player in the events that were shaping what once was roman Gaul. The joint rule of the four brothers proved to be unstable. After the death of king Gondioc the number of his descendants quickly shrank, with the assassination of Gundomar and later of the Patricius Chilpericus II by Gundobad. The assassination of Chilpericus worried both Clovis and Nepos, considering that the former was his son-in-law while the later was his ally. As Gundobad tried to reinforce his tie with king Alaric in order to counter the Frankish threat, both Nepos and Clovis sought the friendship of the last brother still alive: Godegisel. Threaten by Gundobad, Godegisel sought the friendship of Clovis to counter the visigothic alliance of his brother. Additionally after the assassination of Chilpericus, he received the title of Patricius ( that once belonged to his brother) from Iulius Nepos one year after the celebration of the ventennalia. With his legitimacy strengthen in the eyes of his Roman subjects, Godegisel and his portion of the kingdom slowly entered in the orbit of the empire.

The assassination of Chilpericus provided also the ground for new talks between Clovis and the Emperor. Both men were still bitter about the issue of Gaul and Syagrius, yet both men felt damaged by the recent course of events that were taking place in the kingdom of Burgundy. The recent conversion of Clovis to Nicene Christianity also favoured the easing of relations between the two men. Shortly after the elevation of Godegisel to the rank of Patricius, official negotiations resumed between Rome and Clovis, bringing to an end the period of enmity that existed previously. The Frankish king finally renounced to claim Syagrius’ head while the Romans (albeit grudgingly) acknowledged Frankish rule in Gaul. Despite not reaching any sort of alliance, the two rulers were now more prone to cooperation.

The assassination also brought some change in the military organisation of Italia Annonaria. Feeling no more safe from potential western threats, Iulius Nepos created a new military office: likewise to the situation of Venetia, he created the office of “Dux Liguria et Alpes”, based at Segusio tasked with the defence of western Italy. Subjected to the Magister Militum Praesentalis I Syagrius, he had under his control a couple of units of recent creation. Additionally two units of Burgundian origin were added to his control, with most of the men former followers of king Chilpericus II. These changes and the consequently construction of new fortifications took place during the years between the celebration of the Ventennalia and the beginning of the VI Century.

The beginning of the new century would bring several changes with it, as the Burgundian kingdom once again faced important changes while pressured by the Romans, the Franks and the Visigoths. Intentioned to avenge is father-in-law and to bring the Burgundian under its hegemony, Clovis exploited the division that existed between the two brother to attack Gundobad with the support of Godegisel. After beating him in battle he forced Gundobad to pay a tribute and provide auxiliaries for incoming wars while renouncing his alliance with Alaric II. Yet Gundobad was able to strengthen his rule with the murder of his last remaining brother, thus reuniting the Burgundian kingdom under his control. From this development both the Romans and the Visigoths lost their remaining influence over the Burgundians as the last king was now subjected to the Franks. Complete Frankish hegemony over Gaul was now entirely possible, as only the Goths of Alaric stand now on their way.

Last edited:
Without the religious aspect?
Definitely possible. I will add this option to the incoming Poll.
You can also do a "Not!Islam" option where a similar religion with a different name, founder, and teachings (for starters, they might draw more of their features from Zoroastrianism, Manichaeism, or schismatic sects of Christianity) develops.

Without the religious aspect?
Definitely possible. I will add this option to the incoming Poll.
Might I suggest looking at the Mullaqaat for candidates?

Imru' Al-Qais has always been a favorite of mine from the period. I would suggest starting there for a unitary figure, given his heritage as a Prince of Kindah. Antarah ibn Shaddad could serve as a general, I'd imagine. Amr ibn Kulthum actually killed Imru' Al-Qais's cousin, so that's another tie in.