Let The Eagle Scream!

Does America enter WWI?

• Yes

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s more likely he had to sacrifice a lot of spaghetti.
I am sure the Germans made them an offer they could not refuse. **Start Godfather music**

I would think the US/Germans/Italians would be wise to emphasize the 'brotherhood of nations' and cultural diversity angle. 'We just want to make money, what language you speak or god you worship is up to you.'

Who succeeded him ITTL, anyways? Jiang Jieshi? Wang Jingwei (I think it would be cool if he leads China's war of resistance against Japan instead of becoming the arch-hanjian he was IOTL)? Liao Zhongkai? Soong Qingling? Someone else?
Wang Jingwei as president is an amusing thought, although he'll need much more support from the military than he did IOTL to make an effective President. Then again, if Sun Yat-sen outright named him successor, he'll have sufficient clout to get things done.

Marc A

P.S. The following idea is crack: WI Sun Yat-sen was Frank Underwood to Soong Qingling's Claire? :eek:

Wang Jingwei as president is an amusing thought, although he'll need much more support from the military than he did IOTL to make an effective President. Then again, if Sun Yat-sen outright named him successor, he'll have sufficient clout to get things done.

Marc A

P.S. The following idea is crack: WI Sun Yat-sen was Frank Underwood to Soong Qingling's Claire? :eek:

Damn it. Now I can't get that mental image out of my head. XD

Presidential Briefing: The Greater Serbian Empire
Presidential Briefing: The Greater Serbian Empire

geater_serbia_by_alexanderabelard-daq6kar.png

Introduction: As Otto von Bismarck once said "One day the Great European War will come out of some damned foolish thing in the Balkans." Seeing the actions of the Great War and of present day Serbia, it is easy to see why he felt this way. The Balkaners are indeed damn fools, and the Serbs are the most foolish among them.

Politics: Today's "Greater Serbian Empire" is under the totalitarian rule of one man: Dimitrije Ljotic. A vicious Serbian nationalist with grandiose dreams of conquest, his Serbian Unitist Committee controls everything in Serbia. Although Ljotic is unpopular with the general staff, he's revered by the population, meaning a coup is unlikely in the near future.

Ideology: The Serbs are hellbent on first "gathering" all of the Serbs outside their borders into Serbia, and then pressing on to recreate the borders of the medieval Serbian Empire and cleansing the land of non-Serbs. They're also violently Orthodox Christian, and believe the Serbs have been chosen by God to save humanity from sin. To top it off, there is a massive cult of personality around Ljotic as the "God-ordained Savior of Serbia."

Economy: The Serbian economy is rather small, but sufficient for a country of its size. However, without outside economic aid, the Serbs are unlikely to achieve their grandiose imperial visions. Which is good for the rest of the Balkans.

Military: The Serbian military isn't terribly well equipped, thanks to Serbia's limited economic capacity. Corruption in the army is also a problem for the Serbian military, as officers skim resources to build mansions for their mistresses. Nonetheless, it would be unwise to underestimate the Serbian military for one reason: the Serbian soldier. Raised into a culture that has a long, violent history of conquest and resisting foreign invasion, the average Serbian was practically born with a gun, and is fiercely loyal to his homeland.

Alliances: The Serbs are rather isolated from their fellow Unitist powers. Relations with Britain, France, and Japan remain cordial. However, Serbia is better known for having frighteningly close ties to Moscow. The two nations have rallied around their shared Orthodox faith and hatred of Jews and Masons. The Serbs also share a violently contentious relationship with the Greeks, since the Serbs view portions of Greece as "rightful Serbian land." Manipulating this rivalry with the Greeks is a useful way to distract the two.

Serbian Ambition: Beyond the old Serbian Empire, the Serbs don't have any major ambition to speak of. That being said, their desire to recreate the Serbian Empire is bad enough. The amount of warfare and ethnic cleaning that would be required will destabilize the region to an unacceptable degree. Working with German client states should be a top priority.

Basic War Plan: The Serbs are landlocked and far away from the United States. In the event of war, just let the Germans and their clients take care of it. We can contribute troops to the effort, but invading the Balkans to deal with one pissant country is ridiculous.

250px-Serbian_Empire_Map.png

A rough approximation of the medieval Serbian Empire, which Ljotic wants to recreate.

Last edited:

Marc A

I figure that Sun Yat-Sen gave Wang the nod before passing away.

And lol, that's a hilarious image!

Depending on M1776's thoughts, I can see Yan Xishan either be an important supporter of Sun Yat-sen (autonomy optional) or a pro-Russian warlord.

Marc A

I think he could be a pro-Russian warlord

Slobodan Milosevic wasn't even born until 1941 IOTL. Honestly, the biggest problem I have with this timeline is this sense of rote recitation. It's worst in the early sections, with so much material that just recaps completely convergent OTL events, but it persists in the dependence on figures like Milosevic or Churchill or Stalin not because they make sense in the roles you've assigned them, but simply because their names are familiar.

For Churchill, that remark he gave about "half-mongrelized Yankees" in post 125 is another example of something that makes no sense given his basic biographical information. Because Winston? He was half-American himself. It's one thing for Winston to turn against America in light of the broader political climate, but if he'd said what you wrote for him, even fellow Britons who agreed with the sentiment would immediately ask, "What about Jennie, then?" Honestly, the timeline would probably benefit from slowing down, and conducting more due diligence with characters and story, because it comes off as reliant on national and personal stereotype otherwise.

Slobodan Milosevic wasn't even born until 1941 IOTL. Honestly, the biggest problem I have with this timeline is this sense of rote recitation. It's worst in the early sections, with so much material that just recaps completely convergent OTL events, but it persists in the dependence on figures like Milosevic or Churchill or Stalin not because they make sense in the roles you've assigned them, but simply because their names are familiar.

For Churchill, that remark he gave about "half-mongrelized Yankees" in post 125 is another example of something that makes no sense given his basic biographical information. Because Winston? He was half-American himself. It's one thing for Winston to turn against America in light of the broader political climate, but if he'd said what you wrote for him, even fellow Britons who agreed with the sentiment would immediately ask, "What about Jennie, then?" Honestly, the timeline would probably benefit from slowing down, and conducting more due diligence with characters and story, because it comes off as reliant on national and personal stereotype otherwise.

While I do agree that there are many historical inaccuracies throughout this TL, I can’t help but still be entertained by this. What it lacks in historical accuracy, it makes up for how bat-shit insane things are. To me, what this AH is like soft science fiction. Yes, it might not be exactly factual, but it makes up by being enthralling and a good story. I can see why you might be irked by how it seems unrealistic it may be to OTL, but it's honestly a fantastic ride if you just enjoy it.

While I do agree that there are many historical inaccuracies throughout this TL, I can’t help but still be entertained by this. What it lacks in historical accuracy, it makes up for how bat-shit insane things are. To me, what this AH is like soft science fiction. Yes, it might not be exactly factual, but it makes up by being enthralling and a good story. I can see why you might be irked by how it seems unrealistic it may be to OTL, but it's honestly a fantastic ride if you just enjoy it.

I don't see why the entertainment value has to come at the expense of basic research. I mean, there's another timeline with a similar premise, Story of a Party, which has Britain go authoritarian under Lawrence of Arabia, and it seems to make perfect sense in context. Using a 1990's Serbian villain in the 1930's isn't prioritizing story over plausibility, it's just lazy writing.

And for evil!Britain...honestly, it occurs to me that a real ironic figure to use would be Lloyd-George, given his OTL shift towards Hitlerphilia.
That or J.F.C Fuller. He was a military officer heavily involved with British fascist movements IOTL.