Greek choice for king

Maybe a surviving Napoleon II. could be made Greek king. Wonder if he is accepted by the Greeks populance. The name alone holds some prestige.
No offense, but I'm looking for candidates that were actually alive during the time in question. Thanks for your answer though.

They did offered it to Pedro I of Brazil while he was still the regent, it he declined as he was already commited to protect Brazil's independence.

The fact that you mentioned William of Denmark means I assume we're talking about Greek royal candidates in the 1860s (after Otto's deposition)? I think some people are talking about alternate candidates for 1832.

Apparently there was a lot of support for Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh (and a referendum was held to that effect), but Victoria wasn't on board and the Great Powers had previously agreed that they wouldn't put a member of one of their own royal families on the throne. So presumably William was the best neutral, un-objectionable candidate they could come up with?

Henry, Duke of Aumale was apparently a favourite behind Prince Alfred and Ernst, Prince of Leiningen was proposes too.

I could see Ernst being pushed further if William refused the offer. He was married, had children within a few years and a good military background in the royal navy.

Henry, Duke of Aumale was apparently a favourite behind Prince Alfred and Ernst, Prince of Leiningen was proposes too.

The Duke of Leuchtenberg was also suggested, and I kinda want to see the Beauharnais finally get a throne. I think they've gone Russian by this point, and I'm not sure if that's a help or a hindrance to their chances.

Someone from the Karađordevic family is also an option...

What appeal would the Greeks see in a Serbian?

The Duke of Leuchtenberg was also suggested, and I kinda want to see the Beauharnais finally get a throne. I think they've gone Russian by this point, and I'm not sure if that's a help or a hindrance to their chances.

At the point of selection, Nicholas was only 21, had no children and didn't marry for another five years. IOTL he married morganatically and had no children and the title passed to his nephew - I guess the point of divergence being prior to his marriage allows for a new bride, though.

They went with Wilhelm/George because the Great Powers agreed Greece wouldn't go to one of their cadets (which was why Alfred and Aumale would be out).

Ernst of Coburg (Albert's brother) was offered the crown too, but a) that meant he'd have to move to Greece and b) give up Coburg (which would've gone to Albert/Edward VII/Alfred and caused all sorts of awkward shifts in power in Germany).

Wilhelm was decided on as the least offensive but best connected (his sister was the future queen of England and if they couldn't get a British prince, a British connexion was the next best thing, since they wanted the Ionian Islands (in British control) to be part of Greece) option. Plus, he was unwed, so he could be tied to some nice wife who wouldn't meddle

At the point of selection, Nicholas was only 21, had no children and didn't marry for another five years.

Neither was Wilhelm/George or Amadeo, while Max and Ernest were both married with no kids. While Leiningen was married but his first kid was only born in 1863, his first son in 1866. So if weed out Amadeo, Max and Aumale on grounds of their Catholicism, we get left with three candidates who have no immediate heir

Oh, and Wilhelm/George was only 18yo, same as Othon I think. So 21 would be almost considered "old"

Neither was Wilhelm/George or Amadeo, while Max and Ernest were both married with no kids. While Leiningen was married but his first kid was only born in 1863, his first son in 1866. So if weed out Amadeo, Max and Aumale on grounds of their Catholicism, we get left with three candidates who have no immediate heir

Oh, and Wilhelm/George was only 18yo, same as Othon I think. So 21 would be almost considered "old"

What are the 'plus points' of the three non-Catholic candidates?

What appeal would the Greeks see in a Serbian?

- Eastern Orthodox
- Anti-Ottoman
- Bringing Greeks and Serbs closer to each other
- Better ties with Russia

What are the 'plus points' of the three non-Catholic candidates?

All have British connections. Wilhelm/George's maternal uncle was married to a Russian grand duchess and then his sister marries the future tsar.
Ernst has ties all over Europe through various cousins (ironically, EXCEPT in Russia).
Leiningen's wife has brothers married to a Beauharnais (half-Russian) and the future king of Prussia's daughtet. Her sister is a Russian grand duchess and his aunt is Queen Victoria.

If we rule out William on the grounds that he was the candidate IOTL then that leaves us with two.

So did either of those have more positives than the other?

No ties with Britain. Not from a real royal family, we don't take in the Ypsilantis and will take a Serb upstart? Slav. Have we mentioned no ties with Britain?

To sum up OTL:

Greece: Dear Britain we want Alfred for king. Oh and just overwhelmingly voted for him.
Britain: Well thanks but we'll send a British prince to a backwater? Thanks but no thanks!
Greece: Then find us a king. After all you encouraged us to overthrow the former one.
Britain: Uhm... Britain goes around Greek crown in hand trying to find someone to take it. Only the Danes do. Reluctantly.

Leaving aside the tone of the dialogue, this pretty much corresponds to what went on. Greeks made their choice, Britain refused and then had to find a suitable king for Greece. Most candidates refused between us kicking Otto out after subjecting him to several revolts and the country being small and poor.