Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

File:Map_of_the_State_of_Superior_(proposed).svg
Map_of_the_State_of_Superior_%28proposed%29.svg
just read through this whole thread and honestly it is a really fun read. The above image is the proposed state of superior not sure if it would count since it isn't a proposal to secede fr on America just from Michigan.
Edit:not sure why the image isn't uploading basically it is just the upper peninsula of Michigan and a few Wisconsin counties.

Last edited:
File:Map_of_the_State_of_Superior_(proposed).svg
Map_of_the_State_of_Superior_%28proposed%29.svg
just read through this whole thread and honestly it is a really fun read. The above image is the proposed state of superior not sure if it would count since it isn't a proposal to secede fr on America just from Michigan.
Edit:not sure why the image isn't uploading basically it is just the upper peninsula of Michigan and a few Wisconsin counties.

1183px-Map_of_the_State_of_Superior_%28proposed%29.svg.png

This one?

So now that I have the image of superior up I just want to say as someone who lives in that general area the Wisconsin counties included make no sense. The general idea is that the areas included have been neglected because they are rural but a lot of areas that would make sense aren't included for instance two counties not included are very much rural and on lake superior. I get that they might have wanted to leave Wisconsin coastline but there's no reason to all us states are in a customs union by virtue of being part of the same country. Also on the eastern side of the Wisconsin border some of the counties included are equally rural to several not included. I know it isn't a big deal but it really annoys me. Also I would love to see how Michigan's government would react. Does anyone know what the protocols would be for part of a state to secede?

Just remember when you link images to link the PNG; I checked your links and they were both to the SVG file on Wikipedia; the image link function doesn't like vector files.
having spent the last couple minutes reading the Wikipedia page on vector graphics I think figured out what my problem was. I really appreciate you explaining what was wrong.

So now that I have the image of superior up I just want to say as someone who lives in that general area the Wisconsin counties included make no sense. The general idea is that the areas included have been neglected because they are rural but a lot of areas that would make sense aren't included for instance two counties not included are very much rural and on lake superior. I get that they might have wanted to leave Wisconsin coastline but there's no reason to all us states are in a customs union by virtue of being part of the same country. Also on the eastern side of the Wisconsin border some of the counties included are equally rural to several not included. I know it isn't a big deal but it really annoys me. Also I would love to see how Michigan's government would react. Does anyone know what the protocols would be for part of a state to secede?

You simply have to have the consent of the legislatures of the states involved, combined with the consent of Congress. (I say simply, but it's a bit harder than simple).

And while the states have freedom of movement, they also do have their own separate laws; I'm not familiar with the counties in particular, but they are remote from Madison, perhaps feeling poorly represented by the state government, and feel that joining a state with a closer government center would allow them to create laws that better represent the residents.

It's not that they want to leave Wisconsin a coastline; that's nothing to do with it. The coastline is probably better connected with the capital or has a culture more similar to the rest of Wisconsin.

Basically, it's the same as many of the State of Jefferson proposals for South Oregon/North California - the regions have more in common with each other than with the rest of their states.

As for Michigan's government, they spend more on the Upper Peninsula than they get in revenue, and if Michigan loses every single county shown, they'd lose a single representative in the house (as that is all a single congressional district).

having spent the last couple minutes reading the Wikipedia page on vector graphics I think figured out what my problem was. I really appreciate you explaining what was wrong.

No problem; just always check if you have an SVG; on the page you get the SVG, there are links that let you access premade raster files of various dimensions.

The counties they did or didn't include are arbitrary. If superior happened I would be in a Wisconsin county bordering superior but not included and it has pretty much the exact same culture as the county north of it which would be included in superior. Also the county I'm in is very disillusioned with Madison. My best guess is that they just went with counties bordering the UP out of simplicity.

German Austria.png

Map of the self-proclaimed Republic of German Austria during the aftermath of WW1.

Edit: Those borders are really hard to draw in a map. Also they are so weird that they are beautiful.

Last edited:
The counties they did or didn't include are arbitrary. If superior happened I would be in a Wisconsin county bordering superior but not included and it has pretty much the exact same culture as the county north of it which would be included in superior. Also the county I'm in is very disillusioned with Madison. My best guess is that they just went with counties bordering the UP out of simplicity.

Ah, well, you'd know better than I then. It's very possible that with statehood proposals not being very successful, they simply didn't go out of their way to court more counties from Wisconsin did. Best explanation that i have.

Ah, well, you'd know better than I then. It's very possible that with statehood proposals not being very successful, they simply didn't go out of their way to court more counties from Wisconsin did. Best explanation that i have.
yeah the proposal honestly has next to no chance of succeeding in the foreseeable future. I think the most interesting result of the creation of superior is that the upper peninsula is a major bastion of conservatism. It would give the republicans 2 more senators but make michigain (and possibly Wisconsin) more likely to go democrat in the electoral college.

Photo%20Weekly%20No8.jpg

Found here - a 1942 WW2 era proposal for a 'Shonan Express' railway from Tokyo to Singapore. The idea was for a 'Bullet train' (Dangan Ressha) at the highest speed imaginable to connect Tokyo with the envisioned Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, in order to facilitate trade, investment, and control. Some land was purchased and tunnels constructed before the beginning of the war and the diversion of resources to military means.
"Imagine, we are on our way’ we say with bag in hand, boarding a train that goes to Shimonoseki, Keijo [Seoul], Mukden [Shenyang], Beijing, Canton [Guangzhou], Hanoi, Saigon [Ho Chi Minh City], Bangkok, and finally, without ever having gotten off, we arrive in Shonan [Singapore]. Wouldn’t that be wonderful...and yet, this wonderful dream could very possibly come true in our lifetimes."