What Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent Look Like?

Would an Islamic Indian Subcontinent be better for the region

• Yes

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 92 72.4%

• Total voters

Srihari14

Banned
With the recent rise of Right Wing BJP and the religious politics in India, it has made me curious on how an Islamic Indian Subcontinent(India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Maldives) be?

Lets just for the sake of simplicity, assume Arab Caliphate conquer Indian Subcontinent, how would it affect Indians as a whole

Given that Islam has been influenced by native culture differently in different parts of the world, how might Indian Islam develop, Would it incorporate Hinduism, would it people in India consider Buddha an Islamic Prophet?

And Assuming History of the Subcontinent goes the Same such as the Turkic and British conquest and an Independent United India, how would an Islamic India look Like?

Keep in Mind I am not asking on how India can be Islamic, I am asking implications of Islamic Indian Subcontinent on the politics of middle east and native Indian Culture, could we see Caste system, Sanskrit written in Arabic Script or Muslim Indian having Indian Names such as Yadav, Kumar etc?

EDIT - The Pod is anytime after the Birth Of Islam (610 AD)

Last edited:
assume Arab Caliphate conquer Indian Subcontinent

That wouldn't assuredly result in a totally Muslim subcontinent, considering how Sindh was conquered by the Caliphate and had a massive Hindu minority until Partition and even today is the most Hindu part of Pakistan. Furthermore, the Caliphate would be Hindu-majority including India and India would likely be tough to hold onto (being at the far periphery). But sure, I'll ignore that.

could we see Caste system

Yes. Even OTL Indian Islam has a caste system.

would it people in India consider Buddha an Islamic Prophet?

No. Definitely not.

Would it incorporate Hinduism

No. Perhaps some parts of Hinduism could "secularize" and become cultural things, much like how Nowruz is an all-Iranian holiday despite its Zoroastrian roots.

Sanskrit written in Arabic Script

Assuming India still has a substantial Hindu minority, maybe. Without a substantial Hindu minority, Sanskrit has no real value other than historical.

That said, I can easily imagine that the Mahabharata or Ramayana (translated into more "modern" Indian languages) can become national epics like the Shahnameh or classical literature like the Iliad.

Muslim Indian having Indian Names such as Yadav, Kumar

Yes, just like how Muslim Persians still have Persian names.

Srihari14

Banned
That wouldn't assuredly result in a totally Muslim subcontinent, considering how Sindh was conquered by the Caliphate and had a massive Hindu minority until Partition and even today is the most Hindu part of Pakistan. Furthermore, the Caliphate would be Hindu-majority including India and India would likely be tough to hold onto (being at the far periphery). But sure, I'll ignore that.

Yes. Even OTL Indian Islam has a caste system.

No. Definitely not.

No. Perhaps some parts of Hinduism could "secularize" and become cultural things, much like how Nowruz is an all-Iranian holiday despite its Zoroastrian roots.

Assuming India still has a substantial Hindu minority, maybe. Without a substantial Hindu minority, Sanskrit has no real value other than historical.

That said, I can easily imagine that the Mahabharata or Ramayana (translated into more "modern" Indian languages) can become national epics like the Shahnameh or classical literature like the Iliad.

Yes, just like how Muslim Persians still have Persian names.

What I meant when I said Buddha as an Islamic Prophet, It was not from a Religious Point of View, But a Point of View of Conversion, as India during Islamic Conquest had a Substanial Buddhist Minority, which will help attract more followers

What I meant when I said Buddha as an Islamic Prophet, It was not from a Religious Point of View, But a Point of View of Conversion, as India during Islamic Conquest had a Substanial Buddhist Minority, which will help attract more followers

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying. The Buddha can never be a Muslim prophet since the Quran specifically spells out who the Muslim prophets are, so adding the Buddha to the list goes against the Quran.

I mean, Kashmir was a centre of Indian Buddhism and today, if a Kashmiri Muslim were to refer to the Buddha as a prophet, they would be killed by a terrorist.

Srihari14

Banned
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying. The Buddha can never be a Muslim prophet since the Quran specifically spells out who the Muslim prophets are, so adding the Buddha to the list goes against the Quran.

I mean, Kashmir was a centre of Indian Buddhism and today, if a Kashmiri Muslim were to refer to the Buddha as a prophet, they would be killed by a terrorist.
Oh, Sorry if that came of as Rude, but Some of my Muslim friends said that the Quran did not name all the Prophets of Islam, thus it can be possible that Buddha can be one of them, either way, What do you Think would be the effects of an Islamic Indian subcontinent be?

kinda unrelated but i wonder how an indian subcontinent where most muslims belong to chishti and other similar sufi sects would look like.

Srihari14

Banned
kinda unrelated but i wonder how an indian subcontinent where most muslims belong to chishti and other similar sufi sects would look like.
well if Majority of India was muslim are from Sufi Sects, it could have alot of effects in Persia, Arabia and Perhaps even tibet

The Buddha can never be a Muslim prophet since the Quran specifically spells out who the Muslim prophets are, so adding the Buddha to the list goes against the Quran.

Maybe an Ahmedi like sect emerges saying he was?

they would be killed by a terrorist.
to be fair this particular spate of intolerance can be traced to petrodollars.
a moneyed, politically powerful group using their power and influence to enforce a particular interpretation of a faith as the only true one? geez louise, thank god that would never happen to Hinduism...

Srihari14

Banned
to be fair this particular spate of intolerance can be traced to petrodollars.
a moneyed, politically powerful group using their power and influence to enforce a particular interpretation of a faith as the only true one? geez louise, thank god that would never happen to Hinduism...
Do you Think Islamic India be better For The Region

Keep in Mind that if you have an Islamic South Asia, Pakistan and Bangladesh are butterflied away, you also might get a stable afghanistan
with a islamic south asia the whole dynamic of the muslim world changes, no reason to believe the raj would still exist, or that britain would raise to prominence, or anything else like that.
we need more indian tls here.
dara shikoh is a cliche but such a good one, jeez.
(or a kunala maurya one, that would be so dope)

Srihari14

Banned
with a islamic south asia the whole dynamic of the muslim world changes, no reason to believe the raj would still exist, or that britain would raise to prominence, or anything else like that.
I dont see how Raj would not exist, Just Because of Islamic south Asia, you would not solve the regional issues that each nation has, Britain will still conquer India, though without two nation theory, you might end up with a Geopolitcally Stronger India, Israel would not be happy in this scenario
(Keeping in Mind with that things go as per history)

, Britain will still conquer India,
why? that was far from reality until plassey "that bloody close run thing" as one of the british commanding officers said in their diary.
an india mostly united under a muslim banner, and with a smaller amount of downtrodden groups that can be explored then thrown under the bus a la bhima koregaon...
(Keeping in Mind with that things go as per history)
changes in india change the whole trade situation in the indian ocean, and that can change the political situation in Europe.