New Deal Coalition Retained III: A New World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that one of the basically called everyone who liked the TL Nazis and nothing was done about it...
Stop it

Don't restart the discourse on this thread. The group in charge of the new timeline is working hard to address the criticism. Don't bring back stuff from the old thread

Stop it

Don't restart the discourse on this thread. The group in charge of the new timeline is working hard to address the criticism. Don't bring back stuff from the old thread
I'm not trying to restart anything I'm pointing out something that actually happened.

What happened in the last thread happened. Instead of complaining, let's use this as an opportunity to see what happens when new minds hit an existing "property".

A Tale of Two Families I
A Tale of Two Families - Part One: The Road to War

September 17th 1988 – Jackson, Mississippi

“Hello Sir, could I interest you in re-electing President Rumsfeld this November?”. The door slammed in Leo's face. Campaigning in the heavily-Democratic Jackson suburbs for a Republic was never going to be easy, especially as most people here thought that they were still living in the 1950s, and Leo was black.
He didn’t have much success throughout the rest of the neighbourhood either. Most slammed their doors in his face, some politely declined and one old man shoved a gun in his face and yelled “Get of my lawn, you uppity n****r!”.
Disappointed, Leo walked back to the campaign bus. The vehicle was painted bright red, with ‘Rumsfeld ’88!’ bumper stickers plastered all over it. “Any luck Leo?” asked Phil Bryant, Rumsfeld's campaign manager for Jackson.
“None. Some people still think it’s 1938 here”, Leo grumbled.
“Don’t worry Leo, all the polls indicate that Rummy'll carry the state”.

November 8th 1988 – Jackson, Mississippi
Leo Allen was grinning, while holding a cold glass of coke. The television screen projected that Donald Rumsfeld will be re-elected as President of the United States. He went over to his friend, Joey Thompson, who was looking glum, unsurprisingly. Joey's family were all hard-core Democrats, being white and unionised, and his father had even attended the 1972 Democratic Convention.
“Cheer up Joey, I’m sure that you can win in ’92.” Leo, still grinning, told his friend.
“Why do you vote for the GOP Leo? It’s not like they’ve done anything civil rights related since Nixon”, Joey moped.
Leo took a long sip of his coke and then replied. “Does not electing George Wallace count?” he joked. “Well, the Russkies have gotten a lot bolder recently, and the Republicans have always provided strong leaders like Lincoln, Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan and Rumsfeld who have stood up for what is right. We need who is willing to fight for our freedom, not Dick Celeste or atheist hippies”.
“When the bombs rain down on Jackson, you'll see why I didn't vote for doves like Ronald Reagan and Donald Rumsfeld", Joey sounded melancholy.

November 13th 1988 – The Thompson's Home, Jackson, Mississippi
Leo wasn’t normally scared, but for the first time in his life he was petrified by fear. He was sitting on a worn-down sofa in Joey's front room, between his friend and his 16-year old sister, Lucy. Standing behind them were Joey's parents, Al and Maureen.
Al Thompson had founded Thompson & Allen Construction with Leo's dad in 1974, 9 years before he died. Al had built it into a very successful company, which Leo and Joey had been working for since they graduated from high school, 2 years ago.
Tom Brokaw was mentioning some countries that the Warsaw Pact had invaded, but Leo didn’t care. He was more worried about what was going to come next. He briefly considered running away to a neutral country like Mexico, but then decided against that. His dad had served in Vietnam for 2 years and repeatedly told him “Leo, never run away from a fight”. Then he remembered why he had campaigned and voted for Rumsfeld. Leo decided that he needed to back up his words to Joey on election night. He decided that he would need to help Donald Rumsfeld fight for freedom. Leo decided that he was going to enlist.
“I think I’m going to sign up”, Leo said quietly.
“Joe, did you here that?”, Lucy asked her brother.
“What? No. Did you say something Leo?. Joey was obviously tired due to watching the news all night long.
“Yeah. I'm gonna enlist in the military.”, the other people in the room were taken aback.
“You sure bout that Leo?”, Joey said, “T&A need all the help that they can get. What branch are you gonna join?”
“If I don’t enlist then I’ll get drafted anyway, the same for you Joey. We are both young and healthy men, we’d get drafted right away. I’ll join the Army because I don’t wanna be encased in an iron graveyard and I’m not Marine material. Are you with me Joe?”
Joey rubbed his eyes and yawned before saying, “Alright then. Can I go to sleep now?”.

November 15th 1988 – US Army recruitment office, Jackson, Mississippi
Joey looked very nervous, Leo could sense that he was regretting the choice he had sleepily made 2 days prior. It was hard convincing Joey’s parents and Leo's mom to let them go. Al had served in Vietnam, and according to Joey, never talked about what he had experienced in Operation Reciprocity. He was extremely against Joey and Leo joining up, but eventually Maureen managed to convince him.
The recruiter in the office was a stocky man in his 30s of average height. “So you wanna be an Infantryman?” he asked in a thick southern accent.
“Yes sir”, Leo said.
“Well, your applications look good. Reception Battalion starts at Fort Benning in three days. It’ll only last a day, while Basic will last 4 weeks and then they’ll send y’all to the front. Are you ready to serve the United States?”
“Yes, Sir!” Leo and Joey shouted in unison.

Next Time: Leo and Joey begin basic training at Fort Benning

Last edited:
When the bombs start falling on Jackson you’ll wish that our Presidents weren’t as provocative as Reagan and Rumsfeld”, Joey sounded melancholy
The Dems ittl are very hawkish,if anything he'd criticize Ronnie and Rummy for being soft, other wise great stuff can't wait to see where this goes

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Liking this so far. It's a shame that Congressman let the unpleasant people in his previous threads get to him. Somebody bothers me; I put them on ignore. But enough talk.

I enjoyed his portrayal of ww3 and look forward to this world where the US is utterly dominant.
Stop.

No, seriously.

STOP.

If you want to argue about the past, please make another thread. I can understand your feelings, but if you want to do this TL justice don't bring it up.

If it makes you feel any better, most timelines end after 28 years anyways, or seriously deteriorate. This is a chance to throw new meat at a storyline. We will be following the Congressman's requests for certain portions of the stories, mainly in the US to ensure it fits the mold of where the story was going, but will fill in this mold with new and fresh ideas to keep the timeline interesting and avoid some of the issues it has had in the past.

If you look at was has happened in this thread already, we are getting various different stories about civilians, sports, and spies that would not be happening if The Congressman was the only author. At this time past the point of divergence, a little world-building is needed in all TL's, and honestly is probably just as interesting as the main story at this point of time (past freaking WWIII). In addition, updates are now more rapid as we have a team of writers who are kind enough to devote some of their time to properly wrapping up this story. Its been a blast to be part of this and a joy to see what people write.

I'd like to use this as an opportunity to welcome other potential writers. DM me or any other current writer if you'd like to be part of this product. Constructive criticism is also very welcome, especially for me, as this is the 1st TL I've been part of on this site.

If you want to use this thread to repeat past arguments or berate/insult the existing authors and fans get out of this thread and get a life.

Bringing up the recent nasty past will only bring that past back. If any of you want that past to become present then you know what to do. But I don’t anyone here wants that so let’s stop this before something happens that we’ll all regret, okay?

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, most timelines end after 28 years anyways, or seriously deteriorate. This is a chance to throw new meat at a storyline. We will be following the Congressman's requests for certain portions of the stories, mainly in the US to ensure it fits the mold of where the story was going, but will fill in this mold with new and fresh ideas to keep the timeline interesting and avoid some of the issues it has had in the past.

If you look at was has happened in this thread already, we are getting various different stories about civilians, sports, and spies that would not be happening if The Congressman was the only author. At this time past the point of divergence, a little world-building is needed in all TL's, and honestly is probably just as interesting as the main story at this point of time (past freaking WWIII). In addition, updates are now more rapid as we have a team of writers who are kind enough to devote some of their time to properly wrapping up this story. Its been a blast to be part of this and a joy to see what people write.

I'd like to use this as an opportunity to welcome other potential writers. DM me or any other current writer if you'd like to be part of this product. Constructive criticism is also very welcome, especially for me, as this is the 1st TL I've been part of on this site.

If you want to use this thread to repeat past arguments or berate/insult the existing authors and fans get out of this thread and get a life.

Heck if this goes well, I might want in the future to "give my TL's away" after a while, to see where they go.

3474481.html

At the Minnesota primary he would come into a close second to Ron Wyden, quickly knocking out Carey and Durbin in New Hampshire while coming in a narrow first above Clinton in Virginia. While Clinton would carry the Deep South and Wyden the West and upper Northeast, by Spring Iacocca would clean up the rest of the nation to clinch the Democratic nomination. To shore up his liberal support – given Iacocca’s moderate views and past conservatism made him mistrusted by the base of the party – he selected Pennsylvania congresswoman Lynn Yeakel, both a noted liberal and the first woman selected for a major party ticket. The Iacocca/Yeakel team would take the convention in Madison Square Garden by storm, exuberant Democrats simply tasting their first national victory since 1972.

[view in full size]
Summary
"After 16 years of Republican regime, this year will be our Democratic Revolution!" -Lee Iaccoca-

Credit: The Congressman

Am I the only one who can't see the first picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.