The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have already been asked, but I thought I would ask on the off chance it hadn't been addressed. Is there a World Cup in the AANW TL?

Deleted member 96212

Seeing as his actions were caused by a brain tumour, that could easily be butterflied away. Assuming he survives combat mentally stable and receives psychological treatment for the abuse he received as a child he could have a very sucessful life.

And if neither the brain tumor gets the butterfly treatment and his psychological problems related to childhood trauma isn't resolved, what then? Even if Whitman doesn't go on a shooting spree his various conditions made him a pretty aggressive man, and he could easily make a reputation for himself beating up/torturing POWs and civilian detainees.

You know who I forgot to ask about in my pervious post? Charles Manson, who was definitely born before the POD. @CalBear did Manson try making a cult ITTL or did he get arrested for some other crime before that?

Last edited by a moderator:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
It may have already been asked, but I thought I would ask on the off chance it hadn't been addressed. Is there a World Cup in the AANW TL?
There is, but it isn't quite the same sort of "planet stops and watches" event.

The big global games are

1. Rugby. It has a very strong global following, and the U.S./Canada has healthy pro league (similar to the NHL). There is a World Championship every two years that started in 1965. The 2017 World Championship was won by Nigeria in a massive upset of the heavily favored defending champion Australians.

2. Cricket. At least based on number of players. This is largely due to the Indian influence, which spilled onto the Continent during the immediate post war period as a result of the Indian troop presence. As is the case IOTL Cricket didn't stand a chance against baseball in the Western Hemisphere, although there are knots of serious fans across the Americas. Terrific way to start a shouting match in a bar is to bring up cricket vs. baseball.

3. Association Football (Soccer) Big in South America and Europe, with Africa becoming a serious player on the international level. The British damn near killed the sport in the immediate post war years due to an almost stupid dominance (think the U.S.and international basketball) that had the Three Lions side win five straight World Cup between 1964 and 1980. In 1980 the Brazilians broke the British string in an epic match that lasted almost 7 hours over two days (the World Cup Final is played to completion in a sudden death format, no shoot-out, with a daily time limit of four hours as a player safety measure) after defeating Scotland in the semifinals 2(3)-2(2).

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I hate to keep bothering @CalBear with the little details but this is a question/general thought I've been mulling over for days now.

How severe is the crime rates in the post-war nations? Specifically, what are the rates at which serial killings and mass murder take place at? After the devastation of the largest war in human history, there's bound to be more than a few people who are sufficiently disturbed by its effects. I believe you also mentioned that Poland specifically is awash with guns and people who know how to use them, so I imagine that the rate of mass shootings would easily rival that of OTL America. I'd also like to know where Charles Whitman, Howard Unruh, and Richard Speck ended up, since to my knowledge they were all born before the POD. Did they become casualties in the European campaign?

I ask because I have an interest in true crime and things of that nature. Sorry if I got a bit carried away with the questions.

Whitman died in a one car drunk driving accident the weekend after his discharge from the Marine Corps.

Unruh was WIA during the invasion of Formosa. Permanent in-patient East Orange VA (long term care). Died in 1985.

Speck. Arrested at Dallas Bus Depot for theft (43rd arrest in Dallas for variety of minor and not so minor offenses). Convicted, sentenced to life under Texas habitual offender statute. Life sentence. Died in Texas State Penitentiary at Huntsville March 8th, 2012.

And if neither the brain tumor gets the butterfly treatment and his psychological problems related to childhood trauma isn't resolved, what then? Even if Whitman doesn't go on a shooting spree his various conditions made him a pretty aggressive man, and he could easily make a reputation for himself beating up/torturing POWs and civilian detainees.

You know who I forgot to ask about in my pervious post? Charles Manson, who was definitely born before the POD. @CalBear did Manson try making a cult ITTL or did he get arrested for some other crime before that?
Manson. Was given choice of Marine Corps or federal prison sentence for car theft in January 1955. Chose Marine Corps. Killed in Bar fight, San Diego, CA October 1955.

Seeing as Charles Whitman was a marine, the chances of him serving in the war are near certain. However he would only reach the age of 18 in 1959, making it likelier then not he’d end up surviving.

Seeing as his actions were caused by a brain tumour, that could easily be butterflied away. Assuming he survives combat mentally stable and receives psychological treatment for the abuse he received as a child he could have a very sucessful life.

If not he’d probably continue as a marine for several years, before retiring to pursue a career in architecture.

Speaking about the mental health of veterans what happened to Audie Murphy in this timeline, does he still become a voice for those suffering from PTSD and does he survive longer due to him avoiding the plane crash?

Murphy's first stint in the Army was uneventful. Served as part of U.S. force stationed in UK from mid 1942 to 1946, discharged to reserves with rank of corporal. Recalled to duty after St. Patrick's Day Raid. Series of promotions for battlefield heroism. DSC, posthumous promotion to Captain for action on October 27th 1959 during operation near Antwerp.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
the real question is, what happened to Mr. Rogers ITTL?
Initially disqualified from military service due to red/green color blindness. Eventually inducted in "limited duty" capacity as part of program meant to free able bodied troops for work in line units. Served five years as commissioned officer in Signals Corps (Morale Officer). Never left CONUS. Received calling to vocation while in service. Attended seminary program in Pittsburgh, graduated with M.Div/Masters of Social Work. Dedicated life to serving low income families in Pittsburgh area until his death in 2016.

(Come on, y'all had to know I wasn't going to kill MR. ROGERS!)

Initially disqualified from military service due to red/green color blindness. Eventually inducted in "limited duty" capacity as part of program meant to free able bodied troops for work in line units. Served five years as commissioned officer in Signals Corps (Morale Officer). Never left CONUS. Received calling to vocation while in service. Attended seminary program in Pittsburgh, graduated with M.Div/Masters of Social Work. Dedicated life to serving low income families in Pittsburgh area until his death in 2016.

I had my worries you would

SsgtC

Banned

Well, considering some of the other people you've killed...

In line with this, does that mean PBS gets killed by Congress without Mr Rogers testimony?

Last edited:

You won't kill Rogers, but you'll kill nearly a hundred million Slavs?

As they say, a million is a statistic.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear

I ask this question several times, but never really got answer to.

What's it like to grow up in the postwar German states? For someone who was born in 1960, how does the knowledge that your father or grandfather was involved in death of million affect your growth as a person? How does affect your outlook on life? Does the postwar generation rejection every single value of conservative German society? Do they have a single-minded hatred of the A4 for all the damage inflicted?
I specifically answered this on the previous page (post # 8915)

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
It still happened, but it was vastly less revolutionary than IOTL. Virtually every able bodied American male born between 1927 and 1950 served in an integrated military. A major Ally during the War's Final Phase (i.e. this entire ATL) was India, with many Indian troops having skin tones nearly identical to "black" Americans. The entire world also got an indelible object lesson in exactly what bigotry leads to if left to run unchecked.

There were plenty of places where the "old timers" tried to hold the line, but when you spent two years sharing a fighting hole with an African American and both of you stopped counting how many times you saved each others lives when the number hot the low triple digits, your Grand-dad's comments about "them" just don't really matter. When your best friend from jump school stops by with his family and you & the wife go to the diner for some coffee and the famous cherry pie, and that "damned F4 draft dodger Ed" tries to say he doesn't serve "them" that shit gets nipped right in the bud.

There are still bigots in the U.S., even in ALT 2017, but they tend to be fairly quiet in their hatred.

It still happened, but it was vastly less revolutionary than IOTL. Virtually every able bodied American male born between 1927 and 1950 served in an integrated military. A major Ally during the War's Final Phase (i.e. this entire ATL) was India, with many Indian troops having skin tones nearly identical to "black" Americans. The entire world also got an indelible object lesson in exactly what bigotry leads to if left to run unchecked.

There were plenty of places where the "old timers" tried to hold the line, but when you spent two years sharing a fighting hole with an African American and both of you stopped counting how many times you saved each others lives when the number hot the low triple digits, your Grand-dad's comments about "them" just don't really matter. When your best friend from jump school stops by with his family and you & the wife go to the diner for some coffee and the famous cherry pie, and that "damned F4 draft dodger Ed" tries to say he doesn't serve "them" that shit gets nipped right in the bud.

There are still bigots in the U.S., even in ALT 2017, but they tend to be fairly quiet in their hatred.

I'm a little skeptical that the crimes of the Nazis could have ended segregation. OTL, Nazi POWs were often treated better than black American soldiers.

I'm guessing there were a lot of awkward moments where Indians who came to the US were often denied access to things like diners because of racists, and this turned the stomach of a lot of people.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Just wondering how are things for the normal citizen in the Soviet Union? I think you covered China already, but what of Formosa?
Surprisingly similar to OTL. The State has far less revenue coming in, but it also has, relative to OTL, a minuscule military. No real navy to speak of, obviously no Strategic Rocket Forces, and a much smaller armored component. Most of the Red Army (kept the name, lost the strength) is dedicated to keeping people from, as mentioned, escaping to, well, anywhere that will take them (the Cabal tends to shoot "infiltrators", largely with a wink & nod from the Soviet government). The "death zone" along the Western Alaska border alone requires about 1/3 of the total Red Army Ration Strength. Without the overhead of supporting the largest land army on Earth, massive strategic forces, etc. the USSR is just about the same economic shambles as IOTL.

Really crappy place to live, secret police out the ying-yang, zero trust between people, show trials, the whole package. About all that keeps the Soviets afloat is imported grain, much of it bought by the American, Australian, and Canadian governments to help stabilize domestic grain prices, and sold to the Soviets at below wholesale. Still way better than China.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I'm a little skeptical that the crimes of the Nazis could have ended segregation. OTL, Nazi POWs were often treated better than black American soldiers.

I'm guessing there were a lot of awkward moments where Indians who came to the US were often denied access to things like diners because of racists, and this turned the stomach of a lot of people.
It did, it also led to laws being changed, especially after the war when "our boys came home" and started into political life.

It did, it also led to laws being changed, especially after the war when "our boys came home" and started into political life.

You know what would be interesting idea: the story of an Alabama good old boy who entered the war a foul racist, but came back from the war with his racism gone.

The combined experience of witnessing the results of Nazi atrocities, and serving alongside Indians and black Americans end up changing that person for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.