Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people can love each other regardless of skin color, can they?
Please don't put words in my mouth like that,
I was just questioning what would cause enough of a shift to cause "white Europeans" to be "rare"

I have no issues with equal/free/whateverthetermisnowofdays love, but I don't feel like I need to defend myself here on that fact.

I was mainly questioning because that's a major shift in demographics alone,

kreiviskai

Banned
Please don't put words in my mouth like that,
I was just questioning what would cause enough of a shift to cause "white Europeans" to be "rare"

I have no issues with equal/free/whateverthetermisnowofdays love, but I don't feel like I need to defend myself here on that fact.

I was mainly questioning because that's a major shift in demographics alone,

Ok. That is simple demographics, population of high-developed countries is less inclined to reproduction than emergent countries. So when USA and Europe the population is aging, in Middle East, Africa and Asia families often have a three or more children

Ok. That is simple demographics, population of high-developed countries is less inclined to reproduction than emergent countries. So when USA and Europe the population is aging, in Middle East, Africa and Asia families often have a three or more children
Thank you
That's all I was wondering about the timeline
Just wanted an explanation

Thanks! Yeah, that was one decision i made with the conquests of the ottomans in that time. there were also quarrel on Morea and to depict Albania just with "Local Rulers" has bothered me - but i didn't found any good reference maps...and the same for Bosnia. I might change it, as there are still small mistakes.

It's all good. My source is the Penguin Atlas of Medieval History, and unfortunately it's pretty schematic and small-scale: no good for accurately drawing boundaries.

kreiviskai

Banned
Commission in progress: map done, with proviso commissioner may want changes and that I probably have an error or two, knowing me. Writeup soon.

greeks_and_celts_by_quantumbranching-dcf9u3h.png

Not Moshka, Moksha, and not Cherkessy but Cherkessia also not Mordvinia - Mordovia

Hello! Something other than Thousand week reich for a change.
So this is based on Major Crimson's timeline on AH.com, you should read it, it's really good(https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...the-european-federal-election-of-2019.423671/), i tried to fill some blanks, and i'm satisfied by the results, You can read more about the world here(https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-election-of-2019.423671/page-8#post-15598242) and there is a world map here(https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/attachments/upload_2017-9-15_10-56-25-png.344084/).

I want to thank u/erinthecute for the inspiration for the style, she makes some excellent map, you should see them if you haven't!

Here's a larger version. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/231529548884344852/465173591819026443/DaughterOfElysiumFinal.jpg
I absolutely love it, though I've got one minor piece of criticism. The northern parts of the Netherlands are the most left-wing and thus should have a darker purple than the rest of the Netherlands and should definitely not be liberal yellow.

I absolutely love it, though I've got one minor piece of criticism. The northern parts of the Netherlands are the most left-wing and thus should have a darker purple than the rest of the Netherlands and should definitely not be liberal yellow.

Thanks, i will fix it.

True currently, but we are talking about two and a half centuries: demographic trends are hard to predict more than a few decades ahead. By the end of the 21st century Europe may have stable or growing numbers while the Middle East is in sharp decline (Iran already has below-replacement rates).

But I do like the notion of us all learning to love eachother. :biggrin:

Lovely map. Two questions though.
1) Reimond? (Limburg) The river is nowadays also in german called Roer. I can see this becoming Rur, but not Rei

1) I saw that the limburgish spelling for it was Remunj. I thought the -ei sounded german but didn‘t consider that the river already had a german name. Rurmund makes a lot more sense.

Beautiful map you got there!! I do wonder why only OTL dutch Limburg was integrated and not the entire thing like Luxemburg was, and why isn't the Voerstreek part of your Rhenish Limburg!? Also as Flashman pointed out Roermond basically means 'Confluence of the Roer River' so the accurate German name would be Rurgemünd rather than Rurmund. Also the German name for Malmedy is Malmünd.

Last edited:
Predicting the future is hard. Why do I keep trying?View attachment 395922
Especially Russia... I can never figure out Russia.
Why would Ethiopia be friends with Sudan. Actually, why would Ethiopia be friends with Eritrea, a vicious rogue state whos only friend is North Korea and that Ethiopia actively claims as integral territory?

Why would powerful and developed Ghana be a Chinese puppet? Why would Senegal, which right now is sprinting face first into the future and who is undergoing massive economic modernization, agree to be in a federation between itself and several rather inpoverished and agrarian states?

Another quickmapping. This time is the Isla Nublar + "Las Cinco" Muertes Archipelago. This are meant to be inset for the larger worlda earth map but you can make this standalone as well.
LasCincoMuertesPlusNublar_Worlda.png

Why would Ethiopia be friends with Sudan. Actually, why would Ethiopia be friends with Eritrea, a vicious rogue state whos only friend is North Korea and that Ethiopia actively claims as integral territory?
Ethiopian soft power helping to pull both those states out of 'rogue' status and into Ethiopian orbit. Eritrea won't remain a terrifying nightmare state forever.
Why would powerful and developed Ghana be a Chinese puppet?
It's not a puppet, but an ally. I may have gone a little overboard on the colouring, was more trying to show 'economic concensees' than puppet states.
Why would Senegal, which right now is sprinting face first into the future and who is undergoing massive economic modernization, agree to be in a federation between itself and several rather inpoverished and agrarian states?
Because those other states have also generally improved, share a common currency already, and there's a general global trend towards seeing larger markets as beneficial.
How does the Nuclear war depicted in the bottom left relate to the main map?
I really like this. Out of curiosity, what's the story behind Europe and the Middle East?
Iran and Saudi Arabia's proxy war eventually went hot (due surprisingly to Azeri-Armenian issues spiralling out of control due to Turkey's shifting away from NATO and towards Tehran and Moscow). Turkey got pulled in. Kurds made trouble. Saudis and friends ended up moving in to support Kurdish allies. Iran and allies jumped in. When Iran and Turkey stared winning Pakistan moved in. Iran panicked at having a nuclear power with that many potential soldiers on their second front and someone lobbed a nuke. Back and forth bombings drew the eyes of the globe. Indian and Russia moved in to stop things.

Europe just kind of stumbled it's way towards federation by letting some of the more troublesome members stay out. An option that then saw certain subnational groups demand increased autonomy too. Brussels figured it was good for stability and acquiesced.

Something that did as a bit of a thought exercise more than an actual scenario. Namely, its the former Ottoman Empire in the aftermath of a circa 1918 communist revolt. The name I had in mind for this country was the Union of Bedreddinist Republics (UBR), chosen as a "neutral" name to give the impression that the new country isn't Turkish dominated. Sheikh Bedreddin was made a posthumous martyr/revolutionary figure about 20 years early hence the name.

The five Bedreddinist Republics:
  1. Turkish Bedreddinist Republic
  2. Kurdish Bedreddinist Republic
  3. Mesopotamian Bedreddinist Republic
  4. Syrian Bedreddinist Republic
  5. Palestinian Bedreddinist Republic
DjuNDFM.png

Last edited:
Ethiopian soft power helping to pull both those states out of 'rogue' status and into Ethiopian orbit. Eritrea won't remain a terrifying nightmare state forever.
Then why wouldn't Ethiopia just annex Eritrea
It's not a puppet, but an ally. I may have gone a little overboard on the colouring, was more trying to show 'economic concensees' than puppet states.
Fair
Because those other states have also generally improved, share a common currency already, and there's a general global trend towards seeing larger markets as beneficial.
Also fair

You ahve a really good map here, I'm impressed. Like. Everything seems pretty thought out.

7Ric96A.jpg

A WIP map for an Atlantis lorebuilding project I've had on the backburner for a few years that I plan to get to in a few months once I've finished with a few other projects. The landmass is based on the Azores plateau, and I've attempted to give each of the Ten Kingdoms a distinct personality while still having an overarching Atlantean culture. Biome-wise the light green area is a mediterranean, the southern forested area is a vast temperate rainforest, the golden area is a mix of steppe and isolated forests, north of that is taiga and the tundra/icesheet (it is 10,000 BCE after all), the dark gray area are ashlands, and the sandy area is a mixture of scrubland and semi-arid temperate/cold desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.