Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Map - awesome

Tiny writing - WHY?

Well as I am near sighted I have superior tiny-text comprehension skills, and as such I fully intend to give eye strain to all you ocular normies. /s

But thanks! :biggrin:

Nice, although I could do with a bit more detail on how India and the Ottomans came to collapse so thoroughly. :)

There's a bit of a debate on this forum about whether the Ottomans were doomed to fall apart regardless of whether they won WWI or not, but for the purposes of this map that's more or less the case. Although they were more or less able to expel the Entente forces, particularly in the Levant, they weren't able to effectively disarm the Arab militias and later armies throughout the region and were forced to withdraw in the twenties. They did seek assistance from their German allies but that only went so far between maintaining their new European order and later posturing with communists.
India was much more sudden and so messier as the British Revolution was rather unexpected. It took a lot to upset the British public enough, especially with a long history of democracy, to finally rise up and overthrow the government. So when it did happen the state was rather unprepared and the British authorities in India pretty much vacated immediately to try and quell the unrest in Britain (unsuccessfully, as many parts of the army and navy on the British Isles also mutinied so by the time the away forces returned they were facing a fairly comprehensive military and so turned tail to Australia). That vacuum did not exactly lend itself to a peaceful transition of power nor a united India, as principalities declared independence, looting and civil war took place, and a united front only emerged a few years after the fact and so was only really in a position to unite the central core of India.

Kasirreich_basemap.png

A WIP, needs annotations. Based on B_Munro's old Kasierreich map you can find here. It's based on more current builds of the mod.

There's a bit of a debate on this forum about whether the Ottomans were doomed to fall apart regardless of whether they won WWI or not, but for the purposes of this map that's more or less the case.

The Arab bits breaking away is something which is definitely plausible, but their holding onto even less territory than in the TL where their side _lost_ seems iffy.

That vacuum did not exactly lend itself to a peaceful transition of power nor a united India, as principalities declared independence, looting and civil war took place, and a united front only emerged a few years after the fact and so was only really in a position to unite the central core of India.

When did the revolution happen?

Isaac Beach

Banned
The Arab bits breaking away is something which is definitely plausible, but their holding onto even less territory than in the TL where their side _lost_ seems iffy.

When did the revolution happen?

That's a fair criticism, although they do possess Cyprus (which admittedly they acquired after the war) and a lot of Aegean territories so I think it evens out. I suppose an argument might be made that because they weren't partitioned but rather lost territory to rebellion the collective momentum of the Armenians and Arabs (and later Kurds, though they'd initially be loyal) and various religious minorities would overwhelm them in a way that partition did not, but that would be a shot in the dark.

The mid to late 20s, '28 maybe. It was a time of relative prosperity, globally, as IOTL. However that prosperity wasn't spread equally across British society -not that it exactly was in OTL, but imagine even greater stratification therein- and as the losers of the War had to pay some pretty crippling debts that was largely burdened upon the middle and lower class. Successive Labor governments were unable to remedy economic problems, soldiers' wages and veterans' pensions were in arrears and shortages were so bad that limited rationing was still in place for some goods a decade after the war had ended. Nevertheless this was hidden by a veneer of wider affluence and optimism. So when the revolution did happen -in my mind started by a protest gone south- it rather took people by surprise.
The agrarian angle comes from a big distinction from Soviet style state managed collectivization of land, instead subdividing it among rural communities. Of course when this program fell into the wrong hands, as is usually the case with communism, that lead to city dwellers being shipped to the countryside for reeducation.

nieuw-zeeland.png

Same TL as before! Dutch *Louisiana, complete with polders and being rich and urbanized as hell, with a strong Afro-Indigenous creole culture and some of the best food in the world.

Last edited:
Official ASB TL, TL - 500: Look to the Different Powers map (updated version) with new lakes and seas with making Sahara green. Green version of Antarctica and fixes with borders and US state borders were updated. NOTE UPDATE: Not yet finished and continuing Mars and Venus timelines.

tl___500_look_to_the_different_powers__earth__2018_by_lauramendezas-dby7o7g.png

Last edited:
I just realized that internal borders really make a map look much better. But damn, it's so hectic, especially those of Russia.

Again, as this Kaiserreich TL is the thing that prompted me to learn how to make maps, it always remains my favorite. I try to improve it whenever I have time. Next time, it will be after the War.

BTW, how do you guys add a legend table? I still have no idea. :coldsweat:

Talleyrand's Kaiserreich 1917.png

Kasirreich_basemap.png

A WIP, needs annotations. Based on B_Munro's old Kasierreich map you can find here. It's based on more current builds of the mod.
I gotta say that this is a fantastic map! The colors are very appealing and there's a lot of nice touches, like calling the USA the "United" States.

The mid to late 20s, '28 maybe.

Re India, I guess that's workable. The National Congress Party didn't really consolidate it's position as the national mass party of independence/self government till the mid-30s. Any sudden withdrawals of British power after, say, '35 and I suspect they're going to be able to round up most of the (non-Muslim) sub-continent.

Commission in progress: map done, with proviso commissioner may want changes and that I probably have an error or two, knowing me. Writeup soon.

greeks_and_celts_by_quantumbranching-dcf9u3h.png

025575340a81927d3bd392e432230ce4-dcgida4.jpg

Another One, enjoy!

Edit: Corrected one small mistake - forgot to label the Ottomans - changed it in the original file over on DeviantArt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.