2018 Presidential Election

MSNBC
(July 5th, 2018)

"Hoynes to publish first alternative history novel"

Former Vice-President and former Governor of Texas John Hoynes announced today that he would be publishing another book, entitled "1600 Pennsylvania." In a shift from his other books, however, he announced that this novel would take a look at an alternative history in which he won the Democratic nomination in 1998 (Bartlet decides not to run) and defeated Vice-President David Eisenhower in the general election. Hoynes mentioned the fate of several characters during his announcement speech:

1. New Hampshire Governor Josiah "Jed" Bartlet: Appointed Secretary of the Treasury under President Hoynes but resigns in 2005 following an MS attack
2. Washington Senator William Wiley: Appointed Secretary of state under Hoynes in order to get his endorsement during the primaries
3. "Hoynes for President" Deputy Campaign Manager Josh Lyman: Appointed Chairman of the DNC
4. Ohio Governor Mike Reed: Elected President of the United States in 2006 after the end of the Hoynes administration
Wonder who his Vice-President was?

MSNBC
(July 5th, 2018)

"Hoynes to publish first alternative history novel"

Former Vice-President and former Governor of Texas John Hoynes announced today that he would be publishing another book, entitled "1600 Pennsylvania." In a shift from his other books, however, he announced that this novel would take a look at an alternative history in which he won the Democratic nomination in 1998 (Bartlet decides not to run) and defeated Vice-President David Eisenhower in the general election. Hoynes mentioned the fate of several characters during his announcement speech:

1. New Hampshire Governor Josiah "Jed" Bartlet: Appointed Secretary of the Treasury under President Hoynes but resigns in 2005 following an MS attack
2. Washington Senator William Wiley: Appointed Secretary of state under Hoynes in order to get his endorsement during the primaries
3. "Hoynes for President" Deputy Campaign Manager Josh Lyman: Appointed Chairman of the DNC
4. Ohio Governor Mike Reed: Elected President of the United States in 2006 after the end of the Hoynes administration

That's the John Hoynes we all know ^^.

As one of the characters who got the short end of the stick way more than he should have on the show (I've always had a soft spot for overshadowed Vice Presidents), you might have a very interesting fanfiction in the works with this pitch.

Agreed with Hoynes, that why I gave him a role in this thread. Thought the idea of Author, TV Producer, etc fitted him well. You always thought he would have been a good President, and he would almost certainly would have been the Democratic nominee in 2006 had he not had that affair with Helen Baldwin. Even President Bartlet despite their differences and issues says in Series Three that he wants Hoynes to stay on the ticket in 2002 because "I could die", meaning Hoynes could take over and do a good job.

Agreed with Hoynes, that why I gave him a role in this thread. Thought the idea of Author, TV Producer, etc fitted him well. You always thought he would have been a good President, and he would almost certainly would have been the Democratic nominee in 2006 had he not had that affair with Helen Baldwin. Even President Bartlet despite their differences and issues says in Series Three that he wants Hoynes to stay on the ticket in 2002 because "I could die", meaning Hoynes could take over and do a good job.

I always liked the idea of Hoynes winning the nomination in 2006 and it would have been fun if Matt Santos had been his running mate (with Josh joining the campaign by association rather than conviction). And it would have been amusing to see Hoynes and Santos get on suprisingly well, a lot like Obama and Biden in real life.

What's the Bartlet family's reaction to this alternate fiction going to be?

Only one problem with Hoynes and Santos on the same ticket, they both come from Texas! I know that there is a constitutional provision which prohibits both president and Vice President coming from the same state. George W. Bush & Dick Cheney overcame the problem in 2000, when Cheney switched his voter registration from Texas to Wyoming, as he had been living in Dallas, Texas at the time GWB selected him. I recall also that it was Lisa Myers of NBC who broke the story that it would be Cheney when it was discovered that he had switched his voting residence.

Only one problem with Hoynes and Santos on the same ticket, they both come from Texas! I know that there is a constitutional provision which prohibits both president and Vice President coming from the same state. George W. Bush & Dick Cheney overcame the problem in 2000, when Cheney switched his voter registration from Texas to Wyoming, as he had been living in Dallas, Texas at the time GWB selected him. I recall also that it was Lisa Myers of NBC who broke the story that it would be Cheney when it was discovered that he had switched his voting residence.

I didn't know that it was forbidden to be on the same ticket if they were from the same state. But I still maintain that such a story would have been fun ^^.

That is actually a common misconception. The constitution does not say that the President and VP cannot be from the same state. The Constitution only stipulates that a state cannot cast their votes in the electoral college for two people from the same state (ex. Texas would have had to vote for somebody other than Cheney for VP if he hadn't changed his registration). This rule often scares people away from nominating somebody from the same state, especially if they anticipate a close election. There is nothing unconstitutional about it, though.

Well for technical reasons, one of the party nominee's could change there registration to where they were born or where they maintain a secondary home for the duration of the campaign & beyond (if elected), so that the state they both called home wouldn't be sacrificed. In "Scandal" President Fitzgerald Grant (from California) and his vice-presidential running mate during the re-election campaign was Governor Andrew Nichols (also of California) probably addressed this issue (I guess Grant changed his voting residence to Vermont (As he was planning to build his presidential library in the state). After he departed presidency.

upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Saturday July 7th 2018

Boone tells Shallick "Stop the bullying of the Washington delegation"

Washington Governor Sean Boone called up Henry Shallick yesterday to protest personally at what he said was "bullying of the Washington delegation" ahead of the Republican National Convention which starts in Tampa on July 23rd.

The states 44 delegates where won by Congressman William Durham one of the six states he carried "We have an agreement that the first ballot will respect the will of the voters and Washington will vote for Congressman Durham, so I am very angry when I hear and see the bullying of the Washington State delegation attempting to get them to switch on the first ballot to Governor Shallick, and I told him on the phone earlier today" he reporters whilst campaigning in Tacoma yesterday. Those 44 delegates would give Shallick the nomination on the first ballot, as he is just 40 delegates of the required 1,281 delegates needed to be nominated. Washington State is along with Massachusetts (43 delegates) two of the six won by Congressman Durham that is over the required 40 delegates he needs.

Governor Boone has not endorsed anyone of the three remaining Presidential candidates, and is locked in his own close race to unseat veteran Liberal Senator William Wiley.

A casual Governor Boone talking to reporters on the campaign trail yesterday in Tacoma.

(photo by Hayden Christensen- casting from 2010)

Last edited:

Fisk to skip Democratic Convention

Saturday, July 7th, 2018

Jackson, Mississippi- The office of Mississippi Governor Alan Fisk has confirmed that the Mississippi Democrat will not be attending the upcoming Democratic National Convention in Cleveland on July 16th. Fisk, who appears to be gearing up for yet another battle with Mississippi House Speaker Ray Tilman over the Governor's push to legalize same-sex marriage in the fall, will be spending the week of the convention with his family. Fisk, who previously un-endorsed Senator Sam Seaborn the week before the Mississippi Primary, has been highly critical of the California Senior Senator's failure to extend the olive branch to centrist wing of the party. Fisk joins a small, but growing number of conservative and moderate democrats who have all seemed to have found "convenient" reasons not to attend the upcoming national convention. Before this, Oklahoma Governor Rob Kenny and Oklahoma Junior Senator Bradley Denning had already confirmed their absence, both citing previous family obligations. Fisk's absence seems to be more of a problem to the Seaborn Campaign, as Fisk remains the highest polling Democratic Governor in the country, holding an approval rating of 71% within the state of Mississippi.

mspence

Banned

Gault Reportedly Reaches Out To Boone, Ramps Up Criticism Of Seaborn

NBS-Speaking in Massachusetts today, where he has received growing support from self-described independents, Peter Gault seemed to offer his hand out to Sean Boone as he continued to heap criticism on Senator Sam Seaborn over his shift to the Left, saying that Seaborn was an "opportunist" and that independent-minded voters "shouldn't be conned by sweet talk on trade."

Gault seemed to hold back on criticism of the remaining two candidates for the Republican nomination, instead apparently preferring to reach out to Boone, who has not yet endorsed anyone in the race. "I am hopeful that Governor Boone and I can work together for the good of the Republican Party and the American people, and I wish him well in his race against Senator Wiley. He has done an outstanding job as Governor, and I believe that the future holds great things in store for him."

BBC.CO.UK/politics
Wednesday July 11th 2018

Shadow Chancellor Kate Wells caught reading "Economics for Dummies" on train

Thee was serious embarrassment for Labour Shadow Chancellor Kate Wells as a photo of her emerged taken on a train of her reading "Economics for Dummies" on a train travelling to Manchester last Saturday for a Labour Party event.

The picture appeared on social media sites over the last couple of days. Wells is seen reading the book, whilst in a first class carriage, along with two aids. The glee from the Conservative Party was reflected in tweets from MP's and supporters alike. No-one from the Shadow Chancellor's office has yet to make a statement only saying the photo was "trivia".

One suspects that the incident is going to be brought up at Prime-Minister Questions at midday today.

The book in question
upload_2018-7-11_10-52-44.jpeg

Last edited:
Spectator Coffee House.com
Thursday July 12th 2018

Samuels and Benn trade barbs over the Economy

In the most entertaining Prime-Minister questions, since last year after a naked man ran past Downing Street see here https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/2010-us-presidential-election.109942/page-460, the Conservatives enjoyed the open goal of the picture of the Shadow Chancellor Kate Wells reading a book called "Economics for Dummies".

The Conservative back benchers revelled in the joy of the picture, taking pot shots over all the place, whilst Ms Wells was left pale faced on the Labour Front Bench, placed next to her Leader and the Deputy Leader Bryan Atkinson. Benn herself actually made a good shot of her questions going on the economy which was brave move but she did well "I am pleased I have a Chancellor that can read a book, and isn't afraid to learn" ouch, that actually landed a blow on William Morgan, who muttered something in reply. The Prime-Minister was at his folksy, sarcastic best "I don't need to read a book, to understand economics, like the Shadow Chancellor, we have the strongest and fastest growing economy in Europe, I know the British people will trust this Chancellor and my Government to build on our success, they are not going to risk a return to the bad old days, and have a Chancellor who has to take lessons from a book on how to try and run the economy".

Even so Samuels never really does finish Benn off, nor does Benn really go personnel against him in return, the two clearly respect each other, even though they disagree politically. The Conservatives are looking confident, the polls have barely moved for nearly a year, and with a General Election four months away or sooner, it looks Samuels will get what he was always wanted, to win his own term in office, to win the General Election with a decent, if reduced sized majority, and then retire in a couple of years or so time, at the moment that looks like the safest bet in uk politics.

Last edited:
Even President Bartlet despite their differences and issues says in Series Three that he wants Hoynes to stay on the ticket in 2002 because "I could die", meaning Hoynes could take over and do a good job.

I thought Bartlet was referring to the geographic advantages Hoynes brought and that he could "die" in the election if he dropped Hoynes from the ticket.

I thought Bartlet was referring to the geographic advantages Hoynes brought and that he could "die" in the election if he dropped Hoynes from the ticket.

I've never heard this take before. I'm pretty sure that was unambiguously "I could literally die." I mean with MS and everything that was a very real and serious concern for Bartlet.

Friday July 13th 2018

Democrats unveil Convention Timetable

Day 1- Monday, July 16th- "A More Perfect Union"
Key Speakers:
- Chairman Stephen Collins (D-PA)- Chairman of the DNC
- Elizabeth "Liz" Bartlett (D-NH)- Governor of New Hampshire and Former First Daughter
- Dr. Abigail Bartlett (D-NH)- Former First Lady
- Daniel Maddox (D-IL)- Speaker of the House of Representatives and Convention Chairman
- Laura Parker Seaborn- Wife of Nominee

Day 2- Tuesday, July 17th- "Solutions for America"
Key Speakers:
- Governor Abbey Heilemann (D-CA)- Governor of California
- Senator Rudi Robinson (D-IN)- Senator from Indiana
- President D. Wire Newman (D-AL)- 41st President of the United States (possibly via video message due to President's Newman's health)
- Vice President Eric Baker (D-PA)- Former Vice President
- Vice President Wendell Tripplehorn (D-SD)- Former Vice President
- Helen Santos (D-TX)- Former First Lady, Nominee for US Senate in Texas and Keynote Speaker

Day 3- Wednesday, July 18th- "A Safer Nation & a Safer World"
Key Speakers:
- Businesswoman and Philanthropist Shannon Frost (D-CA)
- Carol Gelsey (D-FL)- Former Speaker of the House of Representatives
- Vice President Robert Russell (D-COL)-Former Vice President
- President Matthew Santos- 44th President of the United States
- Governor Paris Stray (D-ME)- Governor of Maine
- Mrs. Katheryn Hollis (I-NY)- Wife of VP Nominee
- Franklin Hollis (I/D-NY)- VP Nominee
Official balloting will take place. Delegates bound to Senator Seaborn,Senator Thorn and Senator Robinson will be counted.
VP Nominee Franklin Hollis to be nominated by acclamation

Day 4- Thursday, July 19th- "America's Tomorrow"
The final nights events will be held at Progressive Field, aka "The Jake", home of the Cleveland Indians baseball team.
Key Speakers:

- Senator Louise "Lou" Thornton (D-VA)- Junior Senator from Virginia
- Vice President John Hoynes (D-TX)- Former Vice President
- Senator Nicole Kershaw (D-CA)- Junior Senator from California (introduction of Senator Seaborn)
- Senator Sam Seaborn (D-CA)- Senior Senator from California and Democratic Nominee for President of the United States

Confirmed as NOT attending:
- Governor Alan Fisk (D-MS)- Governor of Mississippi
- Governor Rob Kenny (D-OK)- Governor of Oklahoma
- Senator Bradley Denning (D-OK)- Junior Senator from Oklahoma
- Senator Andrew Thorn (D-NY)- Senior Senator from New York
- Senator Tim Burrell (D-NY)- Junior Senator from New York
- Governor Kurt Carner (D-MT)- Governor of Montana

Last edited: