From Exile to Triumph: a Western Roman Timeline

Blank_Roman_Empire.png

Sorry for the low quality.
Some notes: Yellow represent the two Theodoric, pink represent the Alemanni while grey represent several small states/tribes.In the future i will try to post more accurate maps.

And Noricum too I believe.

Not so sure. The Rugii were still on the north bank of the Danube and attacked shortly after the fall of Romolus Augustus. But Odoacer repealed them and retook the region OTL. So is possible when Nepos invaded Italy the Rugii invaded the region, and Nepos for now considered the province lost. But it seems the Ostrogoths occupied the region, hence or vassalizing the Rugii or arriving first.

I hope you enjoy this timeline.

I like the third term, it seems appropriate for the situation, considering the particularity of these distributions. However, as the years pass and the possible "militarization" of these landowners increase, I would like to adopt a more militar term: maybe "Numerus" or something derived from terms like Miles/Milites, Stipendium or similars. Fortunately I've enough time to think about it, before arriving to this point of the story.

It makes sense.

I hope you enjoy this timeline.

I like the third term, it seems appropriate for the situation, considering the particularity of these distributions. However, as the years pass and the possible "militarization" of these landowners increase, I would like to adopt a more militar term: maybe "Numerus" or something derived from terms like Miles/Milites, Stipendium or similars. Fortunately I've enough time to think about it, before arriving to this point of the story.
I have. I do hope that the next thing to be retaken is the African provinces.

Also, a late restoration like this is great. So much literature that has been lost would be saved due to the Empire's survival.

Also, a late restoration like this is great. So much literature that has been lost would be saved due to the Empire's survival.
Not sure about that,given the Eastern Empire was alive and well at this stage.

Last edited:

Not sure about that,given the Eastern Empire was alive and well at this stage.

For books written in Greek, sure, but what about Latin texts? I can concede that we may have a better preservation of epigraphes and texts on stone, but those are hard times for cultural development, even more for preservation, in the West.

It would be interesting how monacism will develop TTL, starting from the Benedictines. If they would feel the need to preserve the treasures of classical literature in presence of an Imperial power which may had taken some actions in regards, at least for formation issues.

Always if there would be a Benedictine order, given the fact Benedict was member of the powerful Gens Anicia and his father was governor of Norcia - role which TTL would be still derivative from Imperial power.

And even if he would go spiritual TTL as well, his role and purposes could and would be declined in the perspective of the Imperial continuation. And this may contribute to develop an alternate track between Roman Church and Western Imperial power.

After all he was born in the year of Nepos's return TTL...

But we'll see.

I concur, Africa should be a top priority, and then somehow linking up with Soissons.

Great TL.
Unfortunately Nepos doesn't have the resources for a new war against the vandals, so I think the current situation between the emperor and Huneric is the best deal Nepos can reach. This doesn't mean that his reign will lack military campaigns against minor tribes/kingdom.
For books written in Greek, sure, but what about Latin texts? I can concede that we may have a better preservation of epigraphes and texts on stone, but those are hard times for cultural development, even more for preservation, in the West.

It would be interesting how monacism will develop TTL, starting from the Benedictines. If they would feel the need to preserve the treasures of classical literature in presence of an Imperial power which may had taken some actions in regards, at least for formation issues.

Always if there would be a Benedictine order, given the fact Benedict was member of the powerful Gens Anicia and his father was governor of Norcia - role which TTL would be still derivative from Imperial power.

And even if he would go spiritual TTL as well, his role and purposes could and would be declined in the perspective of the Imperial continuation. And this may contribute to develop an alternate track between Roman Church and Western Imperial power.

After all he was born in the year of Nepos's return TTL...

But we'll see.
Surely the survival of the WRE will have beneficial effects on latin texts, however I wouldn't underestimate the role of monasticism, as OTL they played an important role even in the East with greek/eastern roman texts. It s not impossible to see the emperor and the monks trying to specialize on different texts: profane and sacred literature. Lots of possibilities and don't forget a particular important philosophical school of this time.
Probably in the next update I'm going to explore Nepos attempts to regulate and control monasticism.

Unfortunately Nepos doesn't have the resources for a new war against the vandals, so I think the current situation between the emperor and Huneric is the best deal Nepos can reach. This doesn't mean that his reign will lack military campaigns against minor tribes/kingdom.
Yeah, definitely no big wars for a while, but on the long term Africa and Burgundy should be his goals. In the meantime he could subjugate the minor tribes in Noricum and Pannonia to secure Illyria from attack. The Danube is a nice barrier in any case. If he manages to consolidate and even Soissons to remain stable, then time might be on the Roman side. Neither the Vandals, nor the Visigoths are what you would call extremely stable.

Chapter IX: Religious policy
Chapter IX

The new year saw an equally intense activity by Nepos and his advisors. After the return of many curiales to their original cities (thanks to Nepos’ policies of remission and pardon), the emperor provided to appoint the substitues for the ones who refused to return. Chosen among the elites of the cities (sometimes with the use of coercion), these new curiales were allowed to take possession of assets previously owned by their predecessor. The new census ordered by the emperor allowed them to accomplish their duties (tax collection) more easily, thanks to a more equal and lighter taxation (but more efficient and capable of obtaining almost the totality of what was due), while the gradual land recovery or redistribution and the consequent economic benefits allowed local communities to pay the full amount of what was required from them. The general recovery of the economic situation would take years, however with the first positive results, Nepos was able to gradualy replenish the “Italian army” while at the same time providing the cities of the empire (especially the capital) with the much needed upkeeps and reparations. Much emphasis was put on vital infrastructures like aqueducts, roads, docks, and everything needed to keep the marshes drained. Even the capital saw small improvements and recovery from recent devastations while the Imperial Palace on the Palatine, for decades plundered by barbarians and sometimes even by the roman population, once again returned to be a worthy residence for the emperor and his family.

388e59e6c4e49f37e80a1461b885944b--circus-maximus-roma-antica.jpg

However the most important deeds of this year concerned the “religious policies” of the emperor:

· The first decree concerned the right of men and women, forced to take the religious vows in order to preserve the economic strength of the firstborn son, allowed them to renounce the vows and claim their part of the inheritance. Despite the opposition of the clergy to this decree, Nepos had several reasons to enact this laws: to ensure that only men and women with religious vocation joined the ranks of the church, thus increasing their respectability, to increase the natality of the romans by allowing them to conduct a secular life and to avoid the concentration of incredible wealths in the hands of few men;

· A second decree concerned the liquidation of this wealth in favour of the poors or the churh due to religious impulse. Such behaviour was seen as dangerous by Nepos as sometimes it would provoke huge economic repercussion reducing the taxable base of the empire while strenghtening the church, a non taxable institution. Another unpopular measure for sure, but necessary in Nepos’ opinion. This decree imposed a limit to such liquidations, with only a small percentage being effectively destined to the poors/church while the rest was destined to the Comes Rei Privata, responsible for the redistribution among the relatives of the previous owner.

In 482 AD Nepos continued and extended this policy to other matters despite Pope Simplicius’ plea for the revocation of previous decrees:

· A new decree (sometimes just considered a continuation of the previous one) stated that foundation of new monasteries and donations to ones already existing, now had to be approved to governor of the province, who now had to value if such new foundations were required or if it was better to direct new monks to already existing (but rather small) order. A decree that would at the same time strengthen already existing orders while avoiding new and ephemeral foundations. The decree also imposed a limit to this monasteries concerning the assets they were allowed to receive and manage for their maintenance, any excess to this limit would be confiscated by the provincial praeses/corrector/consulares and redirected to weaker orders or the imperial treasury.

While the emperor was busy with his legislative duties, news reached him about a pirate attack on the coast of Sicily and Campania. Despite the truce reached with Huneric, small attack still continued thanks to indipendent warlords. The pirates were able to plunder small settlements on northern Sicily, but after attacking the city of Puteoli they were intercept and attacked by the roman fleet stationed at Misenum (situated near Puteoli). The ensuing battle saw the victory of the romans, the destruction of the pirate fleet and the recovery of the loot that was returned to the survivors of Puteoli and Sicily. For this precise reason Nepos recovered an old decree authorizing the inhabitants of coastal cities to bear weapons necessary for the defense against other attacks from the sea.

light-galley-of-the-late-middle-ages-byzantine-fresco.jpg

Meanwhile news of the continuing war between emperor Zeno and the two Theodoric reached Rome. Nepos knew that sooner or later the gothic threat would have to be faced by the two emperor. But now Nepos had his mind focused on others issues. Before the end of the year, the emperor moved north with his court, intentioned to reach Verona as soon as possible. While resting in Ravenna, his wife Alypia gave birth to a second son named Flavius Iulius Procopius. A moment of joy for the imperial family, blessed with a second son, and an occasion for another celebration, this time in the city that acclaimed Nepos as emperor for the first time.

italy-emiliaromagna-ravenna-the-mausoleum-of-galla-placidia-sister-of-picture-id601140688

An example of the magnificent western roman art in Ravenna

Last edited:
Administrative map of the Empire
Not an update but I think it should be considered an official part of this timeline: a map with the names of cities, Provinces and Diocesis. It could be useful in the future when I'll start to describe events outside Rome. It describes the situation at the beginning of the V century but it can still be considered valid at least for the territories under the control of Nepos.

The_Roman_Empire_ca_400_AD.jpg

Edit: fixed, reducing to Italy only.

Last edited:
Interesting, I had no idea there were so many Romano-Berber kingdoms.

The Berbers were already Romanized to a degree, ruling over Romanized African populations and at least formally considered the Emperor their suzerain. Nepos allying himself and recognizing these Berber-Roman warlords would not only legitimize their rule over their Roman subjects but put them closer towards Rome. Once the Vandals are expelled, then perhaps Nepos can focus on slowly re-incorporating these outlying states into imperial rule.

The Berbers were already Romanized to a degree, ruling over Romanized African populations and at least formally considered the Emperor their suzerain. Nepos allying himself and recognizing these Berber-Roman warlords would not only legitimize their rule over their Roman subjects but put them closer towards Rome. Once the Vandals are expelled, then perhaps Nepos can focus on slowly re-incorporating these outlying states into imperial rule.
The recovery of Africa won't end with the simple defeat of the vandals,so it will be in the interest of the empire to find a way to bring them under the control of Rome. Maybe it s possible to legitimize their rule over small portions of Africa by granting them a roman title/office. If I remember correctly this strategy was also used by the eastern romans occasionally, so we will see the possible evolution of the situation. However I also want to remind everyone that an African campaign is now really feasible for the romans at the moment.