What if Constantine never converted?

I guess in a sense you could compare it to something like Freemasonry -- there used to be (and maybe still are, for all I know) lots of Freemasons in the British elite, but not many ordinary people were ever members, and the chances of any country becoming majority-Freemason are slim.
It's hard to establish a secret society if most of society are in on the secret.

Infinity

Banned
What is likely to happen to the Roman Empire if Constantine never converts to Christianity??? I know he was a Sol Invictus follower, making him a monotheist. I do wonder how Christianity evolves, albeit I know Islam cannot exist in TTL(albeit Manicheans might have a better shot and maybe Zoroastrian offshoots).
Parthia would be weaker. Mesopotamia would remain part of the Roman empire. The Talmud would never get written. More great classics would get written. The parts of Germania that Ammianus Marcellus states had agriculture would join the Roman empire. The Goths would be a footnote in history. Instead of over relying on barbarian mercenaries, Roman legions would be the main force that repels the Huns. Rome has a philosopher that surpasses Marcus Aurelius, reaching an equivalent status to Plato and Aristotle. Rome sends diplomats to China when the Tang dynasty is founded. From the Tang, Rome adopts paper money. Rome also learns to use gunpowder from the Tang. Consequently, alchemy flourishes. Rome travels the seas to find exotic resources and people. The Azores are discovered. Like otl, salt is traded for gold in west Africa, but instead of camels, ships are used. Finally, Rome becomes a colonial empire. Gunpowder, and other resources of alchemical significance drive colonial expansion. Some population expansion into far flung colonies occurs as well.

Last edited:

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
Parthia would be weaker. Mesopotamia would remain part of the Roman empire. The Talmud would never get written. More great classics would get written. The parts of Germania that Ammianus Marcellus states had agriculture would join the Roman empire. The Goths would be a footnote in history. Instead of over relying on barbarian mercenaries, Roman legions would be the main force that repels the Huns. Rome has a philosopher that surpasses Marcus Aurelius, reaching an equivalent status to Plato and Aristotle. Rome sends diplomats to China when the Tang dynasty is founded. From the Tang, Rome adopts paper money. Rome also learns to use gunpowder from the tang. Consequently, alchemy flourishes. Rome travels the seas to find exotic resources and people. The Azores are discovered. Like otl, salt is traded for gold in west Africa, but instead of camels, ships are used. Finally, Rome becomes a colonial empire. Gunpowder, and other resources of alchemical significance drive colonial expansion. Some population expansion into far flung colonies occurs as well.
Cure for cancer found.

Infinity

Banned
Parthia had ceased to exist almost a century before the Milvian Bridge. If you mean Sassanid Persia, there's no obvious reason for it to be any weaker than OTL.
What would they be called "Sassania?" Parthia has a nicer ring to it. Either that, or the more general term "Persia." Would it be so bad if the term "Parthia" was used as a synonym for "Persia?"

What would they be called "Sassania?" Parthia has a nicer ring to it. Either that, or the more general term "Persia." Would it be so bad if the term "Parthia" was used as a synonym for "Persia?"

Now that you mention it, I believe the Romans sometimes did.

According to Freya Stark[1] A Roman Emperor (sorry, I forget which one) gave himself the title "Parthicus" after a victory over the Persians. Stark likened this to Lord Cardigan at Balaclava calling his Russian enemies "The French".

[1]F Stark Rome on the Euphrates

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
Now that you mention it, I believe the Romans sometimes did.
According to Freya Stark[1] A Roman Emperor (sorry, I forget which one) gave himself the title "Parthicus" after a victory over the Persians.
Could be cultural/buearocratic inertia.
Also - the Romans remembered that Parthians had owned them once or twice and this was a way of getting back at them,. Romans were petty ...

Stark likened this to Lord Cardigan at Balaclava calling his Russian enemies "The French".
[1]F Stark Rome on the Euphrates
Rather unkindly. It's more like Lord Cardigan calling the Russians Kievans.