Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wizarding world map

HarryPotterWorlda.png

I want to map out the Wizarding World from Harry Potter for a roleplaying campaign, but also just for fun. This is a first draft of that.

Some points of interest:
Norrh America. I'm not sure about what states there are and how they look. With the next version I'll deviate more from the muggle state borders.
So far they are, Canada, New Britain, Empire, Virginia, Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Ohio, Nebraska, Utah, New Mexico, Oregon and California.
Also, Glorious New Spain.

South America. Not much going on here. I think the Southern cone should be one country and and maybe the Amazon is not really controled by anyone.

Europe. Most of Wizarding Europe split from mainstream society at the end of the 17th century. The nations were pretty stable for a while bit the 20th cebtury really messed them up and it's not just the fault of muggles. It features among others a nordic union, Poland-Lithuania, greater Hungary and Yugoslavia.

Asia. The United Arab Republic. I think it makes sense but it's not very whimsical, I'll see what i can do.
An extended Persia and all Indian Union.
China: It's not a communist insurgence if you give the land to them. And it keeps thise pesky communist muggle born contained.

Last edited:
alt argentina.png

Good old-fashioned Argiewank, set in the present day of the one timeline I'm doing with @kissatytto. Notably, the "Conquest of the Desert" ITTL was a lot more... subdued (that is, not all-out genocidal), and so indigenous languages and cultures survive in significantly greater strength than IOTL. The Malvinas were bought from the UK in the 1950s in exchange for a tidy sum and the dropping of claims on the South Georgia and South Sandwich islands, and remain mostly Anglophone.

Edit: Now with language info, Entre Ríos restored to its proper name, and no Malvinas.

Last edited:
Depending on the POD, could be quite a few Lusophones in the north?

Maybe, maybe not. The Rio Grande/Uruguay region was sparsely populated when the borders were more or less settled on. It's likely you'd have cultural/linguistical assimilation in the north, even in the area around Porto Alegre.

Depending on the POD, could be quite a few Lusophones in the north?
Yeah, the idea is that Argentina supported a republican/abolitionist faction in a Brazillian civil war (against the ruling slaveholding monarchists) and took Rio Grande do Sul as its pound of flesh. Of course, there has been a good deal of settlement by Hispanophones, but Lusophones are still definitely a significant presence and both Puerto Alegre and San Lorenzo retain Portuguese as a language of government alongside Spanish.

View attachment 391629

Good old-fashioned Argiewank, set in the present day of the one timeline I'm doing with @kissatytto. Notably, the "Conquest of the Desert" ITTL was a lot more... subdued (that is, not all-out genocidal), and so indigenous languages and cultures survive in significantly greater strength than IOTL. The Malvinas were bought from the UK in the 1950s in exchange for a tidy sum and the dropping of claims on the South Georgia and South Sandwich islands, and remain mostly Anglophone.
When is the POD? It must be really far back, otherwise renaming Entre Ríos as Uruguay wouldn't make sense. And I am from the province. Also if you are going to rename Entre Ríos, then other provinces would probably have to be renamed too, since the likelihood of the same names appearing like they did in OTL would go down. Otherwise, my Argentinian Patriotism likes it!

Skallagrim

Banned
Thanks! Personally, I disagree with the idea that history moves ever forward with “progress,” but I don’t think stagnation on this level is plausible. Rather, trends will halt, reverse, and new ones will take their place.

I quite agree that no stagnation will be permanent. Of course, your scenario is set in "only" 2100. (Or 2110? The map indicates the former, but the write-up uses the latter. No matter; the difference is insignificant when it comes to long-term trends.) I'd say that it's quite realistic to expect that the halting/stagnating phase would still be ongoing at that point, intermingling with reversals stemming from reactionary backlash. Soon enough, new trends will develop. It's not to be expected that 2200 will be unchanged, let alone 2300!

I’d love to see your take on a future that obeys “your rules” on historiography.

It's a matter of time, really. I'll probably do two versions (a 'good' future and a 'bad' future), showing that the same principles can be realised in wildly different ways. Of course, the bad future is really bad (make-Hitler-and-Stalin-look-like-mere-playground-bullies bad), and just writing about it can be very tiring. I'd want the far more positive scenario to be done first, just to contrast.

I actually think it’s rather depressing, if only because nuclear wars and Mad Maxery is at the very least more interesting and cinematic. :p

Robot uprising all the way. :p

They’re “conservative” in the most literal sense: they want to conserve what they have, whether that be material resources or existing cultural practices. Part of the exercise is a (counter?)revolution of political norms: 22nd century politics does not line up neatly with 21st century politics because the concerns and their entire philosophical viewpoint is different.

Yes, this really speaks to me. The bolded line especially: it goes into something that people speculating about the future (and people writing about the past) get wrong all too often -- they assume that people living in another time will care about the same thing we do, that they will share our priorities. I'm very sure that this has not been the case historically, and will indeed not be the case where the future is concerned.

When is the POD? It must be really far back, otherwise renaming Entre Ríos as Uruguay wouldn't make sense. And I am from the province. Also if you are going to rename Entre Ríos, then other provinces would probably have to be renamed too, since the likelihood of the same names appearing like they did in OTL would go down. Otherwise, my Argentinian Patriotism likes it!
The POD is in 1802, which I admit is probably not far enough back to justify reorganizing all the provinces, but like..... Argentine provinces IOTL look like ass, yannow? As for Entre Ríos, I figured renaming the province after the Uruguay river (which it borders) would just be a fun kind of historical irony sort of thing, but I could certainly change it back. I feel pretty comfortable, though, with many of the other provinces keeping their names, as the majority of them are after their capital cities, which I haven't changed. Provinces that weren't around at Argentine independence I did change: note Río Negro (in OTL Uruguay, rather than Patagonia), all of the Gran Chaco provinces, and all of the Patagonian provinces save Chubut and Neuquén (which were named after rivers, themselves with etymologies in indigenous languages, so I figured keeping the names was fine). Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Okay, went back and changed some stuff.

Last edited:
An impressive thought experiment, although I suspect the ol' nation-state still has a lot of life in it.

Mhm, it's been around about as long as civilisation after all. (Ancient Egypt seemed to have the concept pretty down for thousands of years, the same with ancient Rome or China?)

The nation-state isn't dead, it's just no longer the "default".

Well that's... depressing, I suppose?

Yes.

This is absolutely stunning. You've taken a lot of the premises I actually consider to be accurate (e.g. history isn't an unending upward march; our modern world may just be a brief exception rather than 'the final station'; long-established attitudes will have much more staying power than new-fangled trends) -- but you've put a completely different soin on it than I would have. Truly exceptional!

@Crying may think it's depressing, but I think we should be rather lucky to arrive upon a future that overcomes a lot of the oncoming troubles so capably. We could do far, far worse than this.

(The talk of rather conservative sentiments ruling across the board may be misleading here: after all, the write-up indicates that pretty much everyone is on board with reproductive rights, marriage freedom, drug legalisation, green politics, transgender rights etc. etc. ...so how bad are these conservatives, really? It seems to me that this whole scenario describes a world that has finallt dismissed the notion of "progress for the sake of progress", and has instead settled into a mindset stressing localism and continuity. That strikes me as the healthiest possible response to the crises and problems described in the write-up.)

Those are thoughts I have had from time to time, but I have never taken them as far as I have in this scenario. Which is to say, very far.

Well I think it's depressing. I wouldn't like to live there, even knowing that its denizens aren't miserable. It could be worse but it could be better.

The "conservative" of this world is different from the "conservative" of today, just as the left wing of today is not a Jacobin. After all, this is a society so different to ours that the statement "Millennials are literally Rhodesians" is valid historiography and not an absurd non-sequitur. Only the particular things you list are different from what we consider conservatism. In other unspoken ways they are similar.

This is really well done!

Thanks!

@rvbomally - your map is awesome, the write up is awesome, and you are awesome.

Now, can you please stop using that tiny font? It's hard to read at times.

Hey, don't forget me :winkytongue:
That's what I told him too, but it's not a true rvbomally map if it's readable, so the font must stay! :cool:

The nation-state isn't dead, it's just no longer the "default".

To make myself clearer (and meaner :coldsweat:) I see a number of state breakups I find unlikely at best. As I said, I find this an interesting thought experiment and a fine bit of world-building (props to you too, of course) but I have several issues with its plausibility besides nation-state collapses. I suspect 2100 is either going to be better or (alas) substantially worse. (Or, both at once. As Gibson said, the future when it arrives will be rather unevenly distributed).

Crossposting from Oneshot Scenarios.

View attachment 391505

Honestly I find some of the aspects of this future scenario to be somewhat to my liking, with a return to pre-digital hardware, more reliance on tradition, and less consumerism; then again there's not much nation states and insane amounts of stateless "tribes", so talk about a mixed bag, which is preferable to the cliché ways of either having the future be some insanely "utopic paradise" or some nutty dsytopia dominated by the Alt-What-Somethin' authoritarians.

Deleted member 108228

Human Siren/Abyssal hybrids were mostly mindless zombie with energy armcannons intended as cannon fodders. There are those who still retain their humanity but only 2.8% were considered 'sane'. Also Abysssals-Sirens are like zerg hiveminds that's totally hostile to humans, they only use the native-born cults for their own gain but that's it.

What do the Symbiotes look like? Like the humanized versions or the monstrous ones? How many hybrids are there, cause I would assume there would be many given their attacks, and what would the hybrids look like. Would the sane ones be persecuted, or accepted? Also why 2.8%. Why didn't we use nukes, or bio-weapons? Why would shipgirls be allowed to exist, cause that would definitely cause a MASSIVE backlash for being too similar to the Nazi experiments involving lunatic Mengele, and Unit 731 where humans were called 'logs'. Whoever came up with the idea and made them would probably have themselves executed by firing squad for turning humans into weapons.

What do the Symbiotes look like? Like the humanized versions or the monstrous ones? How many hybrids are there, cause I would assume there would be many given their attacks, and what would the hybrids look like. Would the sane ones be persecuted, or accepted? Also why 2.8%. Why didn't we use nukes, or bio-weapons? Why would shipgirls be allowed to exist, cause that would definitely cause a MASSIVE backlash for being too similar to the Nazi experiments involving lunatic Mengele, and Unit 731 where humans were called 'logs'. Whoever came up with the idea and made them would probably have themselves executed by firing squad for turning humans into weapons.
Don't look ask him for why shipgirls exist; that's the work of the devs behind Azur Lane, of which is a rival to Kancolle, which also has a similar "shipgirl" theme. Frankly I don't care for both franchises (though some of Kancolle's gals are cute and attractive, can't say the same about AL), though it wouldn't hurt to have them represented in the West (then again there was a PSV Kancolle game that wrongly had its support cut off).

Status
Not open for further replies.