Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 108228

A commission: the writeup may see some changes, but the map is about done.

I have an ISOT idea. The USA, Japan, and Europe is ISOT into that world. The 3 would seem like 'radicals among radicals'. OR 'radicals among radicals among radicals'.

Great American Flood.

This is the first in a series of maps based around a natural disaster in the United States that would make 9/11 like a pinprick. In the Western United States, during the summer of 1983, the Glen Canyon Dam was on the verge of failure. The POD for this disaster would be opening the spillway in late June instead of early June, which would allow for the failure of the Dam. According to a 1928 study if Glen Canyon were to fail Hoover Dam would fail and destroy every community downstream (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam#Planning_and_agreements). This increased flow would cause the River to change course and flow into the Salton Sink thus flooding the Imperial Valley creating the 8thlargest lake in the United States.

This map shows the Colorado River from Glen Canyon to the US/Mexico Border. The red splotches without borders are the areas of major dam failure as well as areas where the river has diverted. The spots with boundaries are cities that are critically affected. The cities of Laughlin, Lake Havasu, Yuma and the cities of the Imperial Valley would disappear and the death toll would be in the hundreds of thousands as there would have to time to evacuate. Cities such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson would be practically abandoned overnight. States such as Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada would loose significant power from just the loss of the Glen Canyon Dam. From the loss of the Glen and Hoover Dams the Western United States have been plunged into a ‘dark age’. The agriculture industry of California would be on the verge of collapse and population of Los Angeles would halve but, this is just California. Southern Nevada, Arizona, Southern Utah and Western Colorado would be drastically changed in regards to population as well as political standing.

With the POD in 1983 this would place the disaster in midst of the Reagan Presidency, which would cause the President we know of in OTL as ‘international’ (I only say this because of his view on communism as well as: Lebanon, Grenada and the Contra Conflict) to focus on internal pressures. As a result this disaster would probably flip the United States to isolationism and lead to a very peculiar 1984 election.

All of the political repercussions of this disaster will be featured in updates. Please let me know your opinions.

the great american flood endangered cities and areas.png

This map should be fairly self-explanatory. The only thing that might need clarifying is that the POD is that the Albigensian crusade is never called, leading to a surviving Cathar movement, which later spawns a wider Neo-Gnostic movement that is popular throughout Germany and Saxony, and in parts of France, Provence, Aquitaine, and Sicily. Oh, and Arabia is a massive state stretching from Mauretania to the Persian Gulf, comprising most of the Arabic-speaking world, except for the Christian regions that became independent shortly after Arabia's independence from Japan.

Would you mind giving a full list of the analogues?

That's a nice original idea.

Thanks! I've thought about this for a long time.

This is a really interesting concept! I had no idea this was such a real risk at any point in time.

It really is a fun concept! It came so close to happening. They had all the spillways open and had done everything they could for the dam and only had to hold out hope the flow would reduce and thank goodness it did.

Would you mind giving a full list of the analogues?

From what I can see (and @Miranda Brawner can feel free to correct):
  • England - Turkey
  • Ireland - Greece
  • Wales - Cyprus
  • France - Syria
  • Aquitaine - Lebanon
  • Euskadi - Israel
  • Guyenne - Palestine
  • Aragon - Jordan
  • Spain - Egypt
  • Italy - Saudi Arabia
  • Provence - Iraq
  • Swabian Autonomous Region - Iraqi Kurdistan
  • Democratic Federation of Northern France - Syrian Kurds
  • ODIN - ISIS
  • Frisia - Armenia
  • Hamburg - Georgia
  • Saxony - Azerbaijan
  • Germany - Iran
  • San Marino - Kuwait
  • Foggia - Qatar
  • United Roman Principalities - UAE
  • Taranto - Oman
  • Sicily - Yemen
  • Poland - probably Turkmenistan (therefore the Baltic states would be the rest of the 'stans)
  • Scandinavia - Russia
  • Japan - United Kingdom
  • Arabia - US, possibly

Skallagrim

Banned
After some time and effort spent getting the re-projected details (more or less?) right, here's a Q-Bam scale basemap of the kind of east-west switcheroo created by @What am I doing recently (right here). The idea was awesome, and although @What am I doing already made another version accounting for the re-projection later on, that was WorldA-scale, and I prefer Q-Bam (also, I had already started work on this).

I'm thinking of filling this up with my own ASB scenario, but frankly, I'm not at all sure how the re-positioning of continents would affect the climate in various areas. Is there anyone around who knows more than I do about how ocean currents and things like that work? I could really use some input on this.

eastwest_blank.png

Status
Not open for further replies.