How long could Apartheid South Africa last

What is the absolute furthest South Africa could get before Apartheid was legally abolished or South Africa fell into civil war. I don’t think South Africa could last until 2018 without collapsing but is it possble for them to make it into the 21st century?

If the rest of the world treats South Africa as just another country, no international sanctions etc, a lot longer. If you don't have the USSR/Soviet bloc providing some level of support to the "frontline" states and the ANC, that also extends their lifetime. Eventually the system will break down but without significant external pressure it will take some time. Except for oil, SA is pretty self sufficient, and they have a lot of valuable stuff other folks want to buy.

FWIW, F.W. de Klerk said it could have lasted ten more years, even with the international sanctions.

Last edited:
What is the absolute furthest South Africa could get before Apartheid was legally abolished or South Africa fell into civil war. I don’t think South Africa could last until 2018 without collapsing but is it possble for them to make it into the 21st century?

Absolute farthest, or until they hit the "Point of Greatest Vulnerability to Collapse?". I say this because, in the long term, the official Bantustan policy of segregating the nation's black population into the peripheries, dividing them geographically from the prosperous core and centers of white and mixed race folks as well as isolating them from one another and encouraging ethnic "otherization" would have likely lead to a situation in which Apartheid could be continued indefinitely. Though eventually this would probably involve spinning off the black regions as separate states, the main body and continuation of "South Africa" would have a substantial enough percentage of the population being at least culturally "white" that international pressure to remove the policies as well as internal problems related to it would grow weaker and weaker.

I thought one of the main reasons for the relaxation of Apartheid was the coming economic collapse (issues with sanctions, the drawdown of support by the UK, union pressure, etc). That was what I was told by myriad people while living in Joburg during the 2000s.

I thought one of the main reasons for the relaxation of Apartheid was the coming economic collapse (issues with sanctions, the drawdown of support by the UK, union pressure, etc). That was what I was told by myriad people while living in Joburg during the 2000s.

There was also pressure from big business - your profits are smaller than they could be if you keep 80% of the population from reaching their full human and economic potential.

Absolute farthest, or until they hit the "Point of Greatest Vulnerability to Collapse?". I say this because, in the long term, the official Bantustan policy of segregating the nation's black population into the peripheries, dividing them geographically from the prosperous core and centers of white and mixed race folks as well as isolating them from one another and encouraging ethnic "otherization" would have likely lead to a situation in which Apartheid could be continued indefinitely. Though eventually this would probably involve spinning off the black regions as separate states, the main body and continuation of "South Africa" would have a substantial enough percentage of the population being at least culturally "white" that international pressure to remove the policies as well as internal problems related to it would grow weaker and weaker.

That was literally the long-term plan for apartheid.

I always wondered how long could of Apartheid South Africa would've lasted if it wasn't for Mandela. I honestly have no idea how long it would've lasted for honestly even if it surely was capable of surviving into the 21st century. If it did survive well into the 21st century I probably can only assume that it be a "paradise" for Neo-Nazis and people of the alt-right from the US and Europe.

I sort've see a surviving Apartheid South Africa as a rouge state honestly, but not similar to that of North Korea though.

Not to mention how would a surviving Apartheid South Africa respond to 9/11? Surely they wouldn't get involved in the World on Terror, but they surely would respond by making discriminatory laws against Muslims as well as prohibiting Muslims (including those from Bosnia and Albania) from immigrating or visiting South Africa.

Honestly it is tough to say what a surviving Apartheid South Africa would be like in the 2000's and the 2010's.

I always wondered how long could of Apartheid South Africa would've lasted if it wasn't for Mandela. I honestly have no idea how long it would've lasted for honestly even if it surely was capable of surviving into the 21st century. If it did survive well into the 21st century I probably can only assume that it be a "paradise" for Neo-Nazis and people of the alt-right from the US and Europe.

I sort've see a surviving Apartheid South Africa as a rouge state honestly, but not similar to that of North Korea though.

Not to mention how would a surviving Apartheid South Africa respond to 9/11? Surely they wouldn't get involved in the World on Terror, but they surely would respond by making discriminatory laws against Muslims as well as prohibiting Muslims (including those from Bosnia and Albania) from immigrating or visiting South Africa.

Honestly it is tough to say what a surviving Apartheid South Africa would be like in the 2000's and the 2010's.

Why would they make discriminatory laws against Muslims? For all apartheid SA's faults people were free to practice their religion. Indeed The Satanic Verses was banned in apartheid SA because it offended the Muslim community.

And I'm not sure it would really have been a paradise for the alt-right etc - remember there were many whites opposed to apartheid who thought the system was fucked. They wouldn't let the likes of Milo and Alex Jones have an easy ride if they were to come to SA.

One way to get around the sanctions could be a great power willing to sell arms ,invest and protect from the worse of the sanctions similar to the relationship between China and North Korea or Sudan.

ASUKIRIK

Banned
Yes, most Muslims are either of Asian or mixed-race descent.
Fun fact, Arabs, Iranian, and Pakistani descent often actually pass for "White" in late 19th / early 20th South Africa. (provided they do belong to the subgroup with Aryan / Caucasian looks)

Just ask Gandhi while he was at South Africa.