Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kanan - That green bit in Cape Breton, is that TTL's Gaelic population in NS?

Nope. That's the (Town of) Eskasoni. It's an indigenous settlement. Under New England law, indigenous settlements may be incorporated as a municipality, but are generally exempt from most of New England's laws (exceptions are sovereignty, foreign policy, ect). Indigenous groups have the option of opting out of federal taxes if they are incorporated as a municipality (and are always exempt from provincial taxes), but if they do so they do not qualify for any federal assistance.

Gian

Banned
Nope. That's the (Town of) Eskasoni. It's an indigenous settlement. Under New England law, indigenous settlements may be incorporated as a municipality, but are generally exempt from most of New England's laws (exceptions are sovereignty, foreign policy, ect). Indigenous groups have the option of opting out of federal taxes if they are incorporated as a municipality (and are always exempt from provincial taxes), but if they do so they do not qualify for any federal assistance.

Are there even Scottish Gaels in NS in this world?

Gian

Banned
They mostly live in Halifax County, Nova Scotia. There's about ~25k native speakers in all of New England, but they do also speak English or French.

How many Gaelic-speakers (or even people of Scottish ancestry) are there (by province)

aiwcPFU.png

My three older maps, now in VT-BAM format! (special thanks to @VT45!!) There have been some modifications to all of them, and the county map is the newly proposed one (major changes in italic). Connecticut, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island, Plymouth, and Prince Edward Island currently do not have any pending or agreed upon changes.

Also included in the linguistic and town maps are borough (Brooklyn) and neighbourhood (Boston, Hartford, and Springfield) borders. Each city is not monolithic and boroughs/neighbourhoods have broad amounts of power.
What is that Green in Adirondack? Dutch or native american populations maybe?

How many Gaelic-speakers (or even people of Scottish ancestry) are there (by province)
Unless Gaelic is an official language I suspect that's hard to calculate exactly. I assume it's negligible outside Nova Scotia and that most would be concentrated in Halifax. I would estimate the total non native speakers to be a low multiple of the native speakers (~25k, 50k, 75k, etc)

I don't have them per province, and the New England Census lumps all people from Great Britain into the "British New Englander" designation. People of Scottish descent are mostly concentrated in Nova Scotia.

@Kanan the beauty of this TL can’t be described.

How do you make your News-website graphics?

<3

Photoshop and dreamweaver

What is that Green in Adirondack? Dutch or native american populations maybe?

Indigenous languages. Adirondack is the only province to recognise native languages as official minority languages, so they enjoy the same status as English. It's basically the one place in north America where indigenous culture survives and thrives. The famed Iroquois Confederacy still lives on as a governmental organisation and Adirondack has had a net increase via immigration of nearby indigenous tribes from Ontario, Quebec, and New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.