Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-Posting from MOTF

Hind(u) Migration to the Amerindian nations, 1833-1876

Hindustani Labor in the Iroquois Nation

Indentured servitude in Iroquois country began in the early 1830s with the introduction of commercial agriculture to the region. The formal acquisition of Onyatalianaga and Degowanaland was secured by the Proclamation of Teotsewah, when the Iroquois Nation formally pledged allegiance to the British Crown. The social order would take a different nature than the rest of the Iroquois Nation where land was held communally. The tribes still owned the land, but allotted the use to rentiers and smaller tribes to make revenue. The Iroquois Confederacy would add a Council of the West, where foreigners and non-Iroquois Indians would have minor input on major decisions going on in the Grand Council (see figure 6.4). Enterprising Iroquois and a select amount of English and non-English Europeans (who swore oaths to the nations of the Iroquois) began renting out land for commercial agriculture in Onyatalianaga.

Initially the labor was provided by prisoners contracted from Saint Claire penal colony, though Lord Waldegrave would revoke the contracts to further his own agricultural investments in Saint Claire. The Grand Council contracted several black companies in 1834, and negotiated the settlement of 3,000 laborers to the Okonto area. The Anglican and Quaker missionaries, who held significant political weight in the Council of the West were vehemently against the continued import of black freedmen and former slaves, and obstinately refused to allow more settlement. In their place, temporary laborers from Hindustan were suggested.

Hindustani labour first appeared in the Americas in 1799 as an experiment in replacing African slaves with indentured servants from India in Georgia, sponsored by the First Methodist Church of Philadelphia as an alternative practice to chattel slavery. The Slave trade would be abolished by 1808 from domestic unpopularity among the English populace and several particularly bad slave revolts in the colonies. In 1820, an abolitionist government in England inspired an insurrection among the slaveholding elite of North America, and militias mobilized from Demerara to Lake Chaplain. The Slaver War would rage for seven years across the continent, with soldiers from every British holding seeing combat in the Americas.

The Iroquois Nation would see significant fighting in the Homelands, with rebel general Anthony Rider destroying Fort Ontario, and reaching as far west as Ganandoguan. The British East India Company would be called upon to lend assistance to putting down slave revolts in the Caribbean, and would participate in the second Siege of Manhattan alongside the Iroquois and the Royal American Forces. Sepoy were utilized during the landings, and Hindustani troops would storm the Town Hall. It is here when the Joseph St. John III, the architect of the indentured labor system in the Iroquois Nation, first met Hindus and developed an affinity for the people.

St. John would become a chief after the Slaver War, and built a coalition out of westernized Iroquois (The Maple faction), Delaware, liberal missionaries, and business interests to push for Hindu labor in Onyatalianaga. By 1834, the primary opposition to the labor, the traditionalist faction of the Mohawk (The Pine faction), reached an agreement to allow foreign labor while extending hunting-foraging land in Degowanaland.

The contracts were handled by the Grand Council, and distributed to individuals and villages. Many Hindus were put to work on major infrastructure projects, such as paving the roads and laying out electrical infrastructure.The primary place where indentured servants were found were out in fields of hemp, sugar-beets, and potatoes. From the 1833 to 1858, the indentured servant population never exceeded 67,000.

Massive changes in the Iroquois Nation would soon increase demand for labor in the 1860s. The rise of the Red Maple movement and the 1862 Constitution would see the restriction of white settlement in the Iroquois Nation, while simultaneously opening up economic ventures previously restricted by the Grand Council, such as mining and banking. The modernizing projects of the Jacob Kite administration were primarily built by the indentured servants of Hindustan. When Kite left office in 1869, there were nearly half a million Hindus in the Iroquois Nations. The pro-business Amos Tall Pines allowed Emmett McClaskin and McClaskin Sugar Company to dominate the politics of Tyoake, who along with land-baron Wyatt Hood and timber magnate Louis Bell would pressure the Iroquois Nation to purchase nearly 600,000 servants for their agricultural businesses.

By 1875, McClaskin’s Planter party, have run into an opposition consisting of the remains of the traditionalists, the nationalist Iron Eagles House, and the Hindustani Worker’s Association of Onyatalianaga. A united opposition would certainly be able to usurp the Planters, but none of the three can get along with one another. HWAO and Eagles violently clashed in Deerford in early July of 1876, leading to a general strike in the city. This incident would provide the roots for the American Hindustan movement across the Western Hemisphere.

east_meets_west_by_spazzreflex-dcbg4gh.png

I like it! (Would there be any large number of English/Non-Spanish speakers within California?)
Yes! There would be a large population of immigrants leftover from the Californian Gold Rush. Californian (really a dialect of Spanish) is a mix of English, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish.

So I see an Robin Hood plus Merry Men, Heroic Poison Ivy, and at least if not Big Foot, another mythical being. I can understand given how many there are, but it does fit the setting. ( Silicon Forest and Seattle!) Could also do 'New Age' base hero for every Iron Man, and so on.
Robin Hood and his Merry Men would be inspired by folklore, but still be something new. Something like a heroic Poison Ivy, but maybe not that powerful. Other mythical beasts for sure, especially the Thunderbird. Maybe, still kinda iffy on the tech heroes.

Yes! There would be a large population of immigrants leftover from the Californian Gold Rush. Californian (really a dialect of Spanish) is a mix of English, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish.

Robin Hood and his Merry Men would be inspired by folklore, but still be something new. Something like a heroic Poison Ivy, but maybe not that powerful. Other mythical beasts for sure, especially the Thunderbird. Maybe, still kinda iffy on the tech heroes.
For tech, I'd diverge from the flashy, seemingly omnipotent gadgets of DC and Marvel and go for a more creative. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a hero who's main schtick is recycling, or a persona who emphasizes solar technology and it's weaponization when being a caped crusader. It's creative, has natural limitations which could make for creative narratives, and doesn't smell too much if the Wayne/Stark superpower of "can do anything with enough technobabble."

You do know what this sounds like right?
Historyman's previous comment was outright advocating for religious violence, if taken too seriously. But this? I guess it's just plain old nationalism.

It's not brilliant, but I really wouldn't say bannable or kickable or whatnot.

Rule Britannia, Britannia Rules Through Steam
Or Why Everyone Now Hates Britain
Steam Britannia or Why Everyone Hates Britain.png
A new map from me, not up to artistic standard of my last one I'm afraid. It is based in the universe of Mark Hodder's excellent (if more than a little strange) Burton and Swinburne series which has Edward Oxford, a scientist from the far future coming back to try and stop his namesake and ancestor from trying to assassinate Queen Victoria. Instead of stopping him, he actually causes the assassination to succeed, irrevocably changing history in the process. On top of that his appearance in front of the 'Mad Marquess' results in Britain becoming a hotbed of all sorts of strange new technology (and also the rise of the myth of Spring-Heeled Jack). In the third book Richard Burton, the famous explorer, has a vision on an expedition to the Mountains of the Moon of a never-ending war between Britain, Prussia/Germany and Russia in the future that has been caused by the run-away technology race and after this point Britain (now led by King Albert and an increasingly-deranged Lord Palmerston) devotes itself to preventing to rise of either nation. This is my interpretation of what happened next with the date being 1900.
For those interested, a link to the first book of the series: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7293120-the-strange-affair-of-spring-heeled-jack

Last edited:
Rule Britannia, Britannia Rules Through Steam
Or Why Everyone Now Hates Britain
View attachment 387204
A new map from me, not up to artistic standard of my last one I'm afraid. It is based in the universe of Mark Hodder's excellent (if more than a little strange) Burton and Swinburne series which has Edward Oxford, a scientist from the far future coming back to try and stop his namesake and ancestor from trying to assassinate Queen Victoria. Instead of stopping him, he actually causes the assassination to succeed, irrevocably changing history in the process. On top of that his appearance in front of the 'Mad Marquess' results in Britain becoming a hotbed of all sorts of strange new technology (and also the rise of the myth of Spring-Heeled Jack). In the third book Richard Burton, the famous explorer, has a vision on an expedition to the Mountains of the Moon of a never-ending war between Britain, Prussia/Germany and Russia in the future that has been caused by the run-away technology race and after this point Britain (now led by King Albert and an increasingly-deranged Lord Palmerston) devotes itself to preventing to rise of either nation. This is my interpretation of what happened next with the date 1900.
For those interested, a link to the first book of the series: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7293120-the-strange-affair-of-spring-heeled-jack

I enjoy this very much so.

Wait, how did Albert become King? It would have gone to her uncle Ernest Augustus I. (AKA: He and his son was arch-reactionary who opposed Catholic Emancipation and was a "die-hard" who voted against the Reform Bill in the Lords. He'd just spent the last three years destroying the Hanoverian constitution. He would have been an incredibly unpopular king to say the least.)

What is up with the US-Mexican border? And ALT Civil War? (Given the fact Virginia still united.)

What is the tech level of the world by 1900?

Who's running the show in France? Bourbon, or Orleans?

How does the Danubian Congo look like? (Most anyone would be better then the Belgians.)

No Spanish-American War? (Butterflies aside, America always had an eye on Cuba all the way back to 1776.)

Who is leading the UK, Russia, the Habsburgs, and the USA?

If the Balkans are peaceful, then when and where will the Great War kick off?

With apologies for the second post of this in 24 hours, here is my...
Madagascar Plan
map again. I made a breakthrough and was able to locate a colonial-era administration map which made things much more easy and accurate. Unless anyone can spot any errors, I think this is finished now. Hooray! Feedback, questions etc. welcome.
PiCbcWT.jpg

Well, after a long absence I’ve finally managed to finish something! This actually started quite a while back, over a year ago, as just a fun little project to make a small little New England with only a rough idea in my head that I put aside for other things. Then with Kanan's and LeinadB93's (as well as all his contributors on Hail, Britannia) excellent work on graphical timelines brought attention to things like New England and Commonwealth projects, I figured I’d pick it up again, and that’s what this became. Big thanks to both of them for such amazing work and inspiring me to pick this back up again. Also a massive thanks, though he doesn't seem to visit this site anymore to Martin23230. His MotM 3 contest entry was a massive inspiration and for years I wanted to do something, anything close to it, and in a lot of ways this is a big tribute to it, as while he lost that contest I feel his was the best there. Also a big thanks to moth on SLP for his creation of the Yankee and Lib Con party logos, he was a big help.

Also, I admit a lot of working on this was learning new techniques over a story, so apologies for mistakes, and hope you all enjoy.

Peace Only Under Liberty

The story I have for this is that Burgoyne succeeds in his Saratoga Campaign in 1777, severing the rebellious New England colonies from the rest of the colonies and helping the British isolate the rebels. The Tax Rebellions, as they’re known, come to an end not too much later and though they are more widespread than history books like to say, a lot of blame is heaped upon New England to help keep the peace. The other colonies begin to get more autonomy and move towards self-government while New England is put under more direct British control for a time, leading to further tensions between the citizens and those who rule over them. It also leads to New England developing a rather strict theocratical Puritan control of local governance that will last well into the 20th century, even after New England is eventually allowed to form from the remaining colonies not split off by the British (Maine being taken from Massachusetts as punishment) into the Commonwealth of New England in 1878 as part of the Union of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and Her Commonwealths (it’s known as the British Union/BritU/BU for a reason). New England from there would develop, as it had already been doing so, as an area concentrated on commerce, business, and industry, which would help its population boom and coffers fill during the late 19th century and 20th century and help make Boston one of the primary ports of the Union. The national character which developed was one that was rather independent of the rest of the Union and nationalist, having felt wronged and slighted for their mistreatment and harder colonial government following the Tax Rebellions up to the creation of the Commonwealth, and to that was added a uniquely Puritan character to give the region its own uniqueness among the many varying states that make up the Union, which New England has at times resented its being a part of.

Following the Eurafrican Wars of the 1930s and 1940s and the Union's large role in the victory of the Ten-Part Alliance, New England underwent a political and cultural transformation of sorts. The ruling National Conservative Party, which had been in power for a large part of the Commonwealth’s existence, came crashing down in a quiet sort of revolution as a new generation with different social mores and ideas, working in a new booming postwar economy with high tech industry and new technological-based finance and business firms, took to the ballot boxes in the decades after and formed new parties, the ones shown on the map. These parties would address contemporary issues of the day and still do in the modern era, even if they have shifted around what is important to them and what wedge issues come up in campaigns. The primary parties are the Yankee Party, a social democracy party with a nationalist streak which desires autonomy from the Union and keeping New England culturally distinct from the rest; the Liberal Conservative Party, a centrist to centre-right party with liberal economic policies, a love of market economy and free trade, a push for open borders and further immigration (which has been on the rise since the 80s to New England) as well as increasing ties to the Union, and socially centrist to centre-left values; and the National Democratic Party, who take the nationalist and self-autonomous policies of the Yankees and apply it to Christian democracy.

The Yankees are the direct successors yet anathema of the National Conservatives, adopting their populism and desire for autonomy and cultural distinction but mixing it with labor and social democratic policies that arose from economic disputes in the 50s and 60s, while the Liberal Conservatives and National Democrats fight over the other sides of the issues. For years the Yankee Party was popular and large enough that they were essentially the government of New England, though in recent years that has become more contested as the Lib Cons—building their base out of the diverse and business-friendly cities and towns in southwest Connecticut on the New York border—have become competitive and taken the government several times. Even though the government secularized long ago and the NatCons are no longer around to choose successors more than voters, some of their legacy remains, from gerrymandering to voter ID issues that have become large issues in recent years, including the most recent 2014 election, which is explained in the map.

Well, I hope that covers it, I feel the rest is explained in the graphic well enough. Feel free to ask questions, and hope you all enjoy. Apologies if the description is a little short, this is a map that was intended as practice more than anything else but, it seems, I can’t do anything simply.

bgDdRHD.png

I was hoping to put this here so that I have something to DM an acquaintance as I'm in the process of designing a map for his fantasy project.

ReaAiZ9.png

I'll answer questions about it when I get more information from him. Basically, that green nation you see is supposed to be over twice the area of Qing China (at its peak mind you) de jure, ignoring the current rebellion. The other nations are to scale.

CannedTech

Banned
Well, after a long absence I’ve finally managed to finish something! This actually started quite a while back, over a year ago, as just a fun little project to make a small little New England with only a rough idea in my head that I put aside for other things. Then with Kanan's and LeinadB93's (as well as all his contributors on Hail, Britannia) excellent work on graphical timelines brought attention to things like New England and Commonwealth projects, I figured I’d pick it up again, and that’s what this became. Big thanks to both of them for such amazing work and inspiring me to pick this back up again. Also a massive thanks, though he doesn't seem to visit this site anymore to Martin23230. His MotM 3 contest entry was a massive inspiration and for years I wanted to do something, anything close to it, and in a lot of ways this is a big tribute to it, as while he lost that contest I feel his was the best there. Also a big thanks to moth on SLP for his creation of the Yankee and Lib Con party logos, he was a big help.

Also, I admit a lot of working on this was learning new techniques over a story, so apologies for mistakes, and hope you all enjoy.

Hot damn, that's baller as fuck and real crisp looking. Dig the background too.

Also hey wait a second... I recognize some of those Miskatonic names... :openedeyewink:

For my project at school for the end of the year I decided to a paper on a scenario for if Alexander Hamilton became president of the US in 1797 and proceeds to be president for three whole terms and I put together a map for the whole thing, too.

Map of the US-FTU.png

Wonderful map, and excellent backstory for it as well (really curious about the "Eurafrican War")! One thing that catches my eye is the British Union. What exactly is it? Is it a European Union-esque organization, a confederation of some kind that is a de facto singular nation, or something else entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.