Hail, Britannia

Queen Sophia of Great Britain

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So to tide you all over whilst I wrap up a few write ups, I thought I'd share an infobox for the first non-OTL British monarch of this timeline.

Credit to Wikipedia for a lot of this.

rd293tC.png

9wIG0Uq.png
Sophia (14 October 1630 – 8 October 1714), commonly known as Sophia of Hanover, was Queen of Great Britain and Ireland from 1 August 1714 until her death. She was also the Electress of Hanover from 1692 to 1698. A granddaughter of James VI and I, she succeeded her first cousin once removed, Queen Anne, to the thrones of Great Britain and Ireland. Her reign, one of the shortest in British history, marked the end of the Stuart period and the beginning of the Hanoverian era.

Born to Frederick V of the Palatinate, a member of the House of Wittelsbach, and Princess Elizabeth Stuart of Scotland, in 1630, Sophia grew up in the Dutch Republic, where her family had sought refuge after the sequestration of their Electorate during the Thirty Years' War. Sophia's brother Charles Louis was restored to the Palatinate as part of the Peace of Westphalia. Sophia married Ernst August of Brunswick-Lüneburg in 1658. Despite his jealous temper and frequent absences, Sophia loved him, and bore him seven children who survived to adulthood. Initially a landless cadet, Ernst August succeeded in having the House of Hanover raised to electoral dignity in 1692. Therefore, Sophia became Electress of Hanover, the title by which she is best remembered. A patron of the arts, Sophia commissioned the palace and gardens of Herrenhausen and sponsored philosophers, such as Gottfried Leibniz and John Toland.

In 1701, the Parliament of England passed the Act of Settlement, which named Sophia as heir presumptive to the English thrones, in the event of neither King William III and Queen Anne having legitimate issue. Sophia would leave Hanover the following year, and would reside in London where she became a prominent and popular figure of the royal court. She ascended to the throne upon the death of Queen Anne on 1 August 1714, as the first and only monarch of the House of Palatinate-Simmern. Despite having enjoyed good health for much of her life, at the time of her succession Sophia had begun to suffer the effects of her advanced age, and she died two months later on 8 October. She was succeeded by her son, George I, and her body was buried at the Herrenhausen Gardens in Hanoverstadt, the creation of which she had guided. Sophia was one of the last British monarchs to be buried outside of the Home Isles, her son George I was also buried in Hanover, and her great-grandson Frederick I was buried in Fredericksburg, Maryland.

Last edited:
Hawai'i; 2015 general election; HMNB Pearl Harbour; Native Hawaiians; King Kūhiō II and Queen Owana; Monarchs and Prime Ministers of Hawai'i

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So after taking a stroll down memory lane (aka my previous wikiboxes) I had an urge to redo the Aloha Kingdom. Originally this was a collaboration between myself and @Turquoise Blue (the original can be found here), but I found some new inspiration from @Kanan and @lord caedus, with their amazing Our Fair Country and X-in-Canada series respectively.

Hope you all enjoy :D

90oPyaR.png

The Kingdom of Hawai'i, also known as Hawaii, the Hawaiian Islands, or historically as the Sandwich Islands, is a sovereign state located on the northernmost island group in Polynesia, in the central Pacific Ocean. Hawai'i encompasses nearly the entire volcanic Hawaiian archipelago, which comprises hundreds of islands spread over 1,500 miles (2,400 km). At the southeastern end of the archipelago, the eight main islands are—in order from northwest to southeast: Ni'ihau, Kaua'i, O'ahu, Moloka'i, Lāna'i, Kaho'olawe, Maui, and the Island of Hawai'i. The last is the largest island in the group; it is often called the "Big Island" or "Hawai'i Island" to avoid confusion with the nation or archipelago. The country is part of the Polynesian sub-region of Oceania.

Archaeological evidence suggest that the earliest permanent inhabitants arrived on the Hawaiian Islands around 300 BCE, originating from other parts of Polynesia. Several subsequent waves of Polynesian migration brought new cultural systems, leading to the establishment of Ancient Hawaii as a caste-based society, ruled by hereditary chiefdoms. Eventually these chiefdoms grew to encompass whole islands, due to the slow and steady growth in population. Although the first documented contact with the islands by Europeans was in 1778 when British explorer James Cook arrived, it is possible that Spanish explorers had visited Hawai'i as early as the 16th century. The Hawaiian Islands attracted many European visitors, including explorers and traders who found the islands to be a convenient harbour, and these visitors introduced Eurasian diseases that decimated the Native Hawaiian population. By the middle of the 19th century more than half of the native population had been killed by disease, famine and war, and in the 21st century the Kānaka Maoli make up a plurality in their native homelands.

Before the inception of the unified kingdom, each of the islands were ruled by independent chiefs. In 1795, Kamehameha the Great began a fifteen year-long series of battles to unify the islands under a single monarch, which was completed by 1810. The unification process ended the ancient Hawaiian society, and transformed the islands into an independent constitutional monarchy modelled in the traditions of European states, such as Great Britain. Under successive members of the House of Kamehameha, the kingdom was unified under a single legal code, with the establishment of a recognised government, and in 1840 received its first constitution. The British occupied the islands in 1843, after allegations that British subjects were being denied their legal rights, and after a five-month long period as a colony, the Kingdom was restored as a British protectorate, much to the displeasure of the French and Russians. Very little changed in the government of the islands, with the country continuing to function as a constitutional monarchy and Britain pledging to protect the Kingdom from attack.

Throughout the late 19th century, Hawai’i saw a boom in migration from North America and Asia, with British missionaries and East Asian labourers arriving to the island. The latter mainly originated from China and Japan, and make up the majority of the modern Asian Hawaiian population. Political struggles dominated the country during this period, as a succession of semi-constitutional monarchs clashed with a growing class of educated citizens, who favoured a constitutional monarchy or British annexation. Matters came to a head during the reign of Queen Lili’uokalani, when in 1893, British Americans attempted to overthrow the Hawaiian government and establish a republic. British forces helped to quell the revolt, but wider social changes led to the passage of the 1895 Constitution that removed most political power from the monarch. Lili’uokalani’s continued efforts to return to a form of absolute monarchy would ultimately lead to Kalanihiapo Wilcox, the first Hawaiian Prime Minister, forcing her abdication and replacement with Kaʻiulani, whose sudden death three years later led to the succession of her fiancée, Kalākaua II of the House of Kawanākoa, to the throne.

Throughout the early 20th century, the islands experienced a surge in immigration from Asia and North America, fundamentally altering the demographic makeup of the country’s population. Asian Hawaiians and European Hawaiians, through their businesses, held a significant amount of political power in the country until the end of protectorate. During the Second World War, Hawai’i gained strategic military importance as a stopover between North America and Asia, and the island proved crucial in securing supply lines for Allied forces in the East Asian War. Hawai’i acted as a major military base and staging ground for British Commonwealth forces attacking the Chinese in the Pacific, and many Hawaiian citizens volunteered to serve in the British Army, a tradition continued to the present day.

The immediate post-war period saw the country begin the gradual transition to formal independence from the British Empire, which was achieved in 1959 with the ending of the protectorate. Hawai’i remained a member of the nascent Commonwealth of Nations, continuing to recognise the British monarch as Head of the Commonwealth, and was admitted to the Common Travel Area and the Common Defence Pact. Hawai’i was a founding member of the Commonwealth Economic Community in 1960, making the country one of the most integrated with the Commonwealth system. Throughout the 20th and early 21st centuries, the country has rapidly modernised and developed a growing tourism industry through the promotion of native Hawaiian culture, as well as diversified its existing agricultural sectors. Hawai’i's diverse natural scenery, warm tropical climate, abundance of public beaches, oceanic surroundings, and active volcanoes make it a popular destination for tourists, surfers, biologists, and volcanologists. Because of its central location in the Pacific and 19th century labour migration, the country’s culture is strongly influenced by North American and Asian cultures, in addition to its indigenous Hawaiian culture.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2015 Hawaiian general election was held on 16 July 2015 to elect, under the mixed member majoritarian system, the 146 members of the Hawaiian House of Assembly, the lower house of the Hawaiian Legislature. Of the 146 members of the House of Assembly, 76 are elected under the first past the post system from single-member constituencies, and the other 70 are elected from a nationwide proportional party list.

Incumbent Prime Minister Kimo Aiona, went into the election as leader of the centre-right conservative Nationals, which had held power since 1999. Aiona was looking to secure his third full term in office, and despite the party having been reduced to a minority government at the 2011 election, early polls suggested the Nationals were on course for their fifth consecutive plurality. The opposition centrist Reform Party, under new leader Moana Kia’aina, had made substantial gains at the 2014 local elections but seemed unable to unseat the Nationals, considered “Hawaii’s natural governing party”.

Despite the election appearing to be a foregone conclusion, a scandal emerged in late June when it emerged that several high-profile cabinet members had accepted bribes from Texan and Californian agricultural companies. Although the Prime Minister was not implicated in the scandal, and promptly dismissed the ministers involved, the damage was done. The damage to the Nationals reputation for clean government handed the election to the opposition, who secured a plurality in the House, forming a coalition government with Labour, a centre-left party popular with working-class immigrants.

With the Nationals returned to the opposition benches, Kimo Aiona announced his resignation from the party leadership the day after the election. The final result saw the ecological left-wing Greens secure an additional list seat, whilst Hanale Kanahele, leader of the traditionalist Hawaiian national party, Aloha Aina, succeeded in unseating the incumbent National MP in Waimanalo.

NiPGNRG.png

HMNB Pearl Harbour is a British military base located on O'ahu Island adjacent to the Hawaiian capital Honolulu. Pearl Harbour is a major base for the British North Pacific Fleet, which is headquartered at Esquimalt, Oregon, and is located on British sovereign territory leased from the Kingdom of Hawai'i. Pearl Harbour provides berthing and shore side support to surface ships and submarines, as well as maintenance, training and dry dock services. Housing, personnel, and family support are also provided and are an integral part of the shore side activities, which encompasses both permanent and transient personnel. Because Pearl Harbour is the only intermediate maintenance facility for submarines in the Middle Pacific, it serves as host to a large number of visiting submariners.

Pearl Harbour was established in 1898, part of the terms of 1895 Constitution and British protectorate over Hawai'i, and became one of Britain's most strategically important naval bases in the North Pacific. During the Second World War, Pearl Harbour played a crucial role as a resupply base and staging ground for British and Allied forces operating in the Pacific and East Asian theatres. After the end of the British protectorate over Hawai'i in 1959, the country remained part of the Commonwealth and the Anglo-Hawaiian Treaty, signed the same year, allowed Britain to retain a military base at Pearl Harbour, complete with ships and personnel, although the Hawaiian government reserves the right to request their removal.

gP3y3Wt.png

NiPGNRG.png

King Kūhiō II is the fifteenth, and current, monarch of the Hawaiian Islands, having reigned since 1995 when he ascended to the throne after the death of his father, King Ekewāka. He is the sixth member of the House of Kawanākoa to reign as monarch of Hawai’i, after his grandfather, Kalākaua II, ascended to throne in 1899.

Born in September 1961, five months after his father had ascended to the Hawaiian throne, Kūhiō was second in line to the throne after his elder brother. Raised in Honolulu at the ‘Iolani Palace, largely out of the public eye, Kūhiō began to appear at public engagements in the 1970s. Educated at Punahou School and the University of Pelona in California, Kūhiō made numerous overseas visits across the Commonwealth and Asia during his time as a student, making him one of the most well-travelled Hawaiian monarchs. Upon reaching the age of eighteen in 1979, Kūhiō took his seat in the Hawaiian House of Nobles, the ceremonial upper house of the Hawaiian Legislature.

In 1985, Kūhiō married his distant relative Princess Owana La’anui, heir to a rival claimant to the Hawaiian throne. Their marriage, a political arrangement to unify the Kawanākoa and La’anui branches of the family, was strained at first, but family insiders say the pair are “happy in each other’s company”. Kūhiō and his wife have three children, Crown Prince Kalākaua (born 1987), Princess Kapi’olani (born 1990) and Prince La’akea (born 1991). Upon the death of his father in 1995, Kūhiō ascended to the Hawaiian throne as the fifteenth monarch of the Hawaiian Islands, bypassing his elder brother who his father had excluded from the succession prior to the 1985 Succession to the Crown Act which formalised absolute primogeniture for the succession to the Hawaiian throne.

NiPGNRG.png

Queen Owana is the Queen of the Hawaiian Islands as the wife of King Kūhiō II, who ascended to the throne on 29 July 1995 on the death of his father Ekewāka. Born in Kailua-Kona on the “Big Island”, Owana was the heir to a rival branch of the Hawaiian royal family, the House of La’anui, who claimed the succession of the House of Kawanākoa to the throne was illegal and illegitimate. Throughout the 20th century, Owana’s ancestor had been exiled from Hawai’i until 1950, when her parents had been allowed to return on condition they drop their claims to the throne. An opportunity to unify the two rival claimants presented itself with Princess Owana and Crown Prince Kūhiō in the 1980s, as the two met and became acquainted through their work with the Hawaiian House of Nobles and various charitable organisations. Although an arranged marriage, the pair have since become a beacon of stability for Hawaiians. Owana has three children, with her husband, and regularly undertakes formal duties and overseas visits with, and without, the king to represent the Hawaiian people.

VjnUdqM.png

NiPGNRG.png

Monarchs of the Kingdom of Hawai'i (1795–)
1795–1819: Kamehameha I
1819–1824: Kamehameha II
1824–1854: Kamehameha III
1855–1863: Kamehameha IV
1863–1872: Kamehameha V
1873–1874: Lunalilo
1874–1891: Kalākaua I
1891–1895: Lili’uokalani (abdicated)
1895–1899: Kaʻiulani
1899–1908: Kalākaua II
1908–1922: Kūhiō I (brother of preceding; former prime minister)
1922–1953: Kalākaua III (nephew of preceding and son of Kalākaua II)
1953–1961: Kapi’olani (sister of preceding)
1961–1995: Ekewāka
1995–2018: Kūhiō II
Heir apparent: Crown Prince Kalākaua

Prime Ministers of the Kingdom of Hawai'i (1895–)
11. 1895–1903 Kalanihiapo Wilcox† (Kuokoa)
12. 1903–1908 Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole (Kuokoa) (resigned to ascend to the throne)
13. 1908–1920 Pūnohu White (National majority)
14. 1920–1927 Iokepa Fern† (National majority) [1]
15. 1927–1932 Kaleoaloha Houston (National majority) [2]
16. 1932–1946 Ionakana Wilson (National majority) [3]
17. 1946–1950 Lauleneke Judd (National majority) [4]
18. 1950–1959 Kamuela Mo'i (National majority) [5]
19. 1959–1968 Hailama Fong (National majority) (1st) [6]
10. 1968–1971 Daniel Inouye (Reform minority) (1st)
19. 1971–1975 Hailama Fong (National majority) (2nd)
10. 1975–1982 Daniel Inouye (Reform majority) (2nd)
11. 1982–1986 Keoki Ariyoshi (National majority)
10. 1986–1990 Daniel Inouye (Reform majority) (3rd)
12. 1990–1999 Kahikina Akaka (Reform majority) [7]
13. 1999–2006 Pakelekia Saiki (National majority) [8]
14. 2006–2015 Kimo Aiona (National majority, then National minority)
15. 2015–2022 Moana Kia'aina (ReformLabour majority coalition)

[1] - OTL Joseph Fern
[2] - OTL Victor Houston
[3] - OTL John Wilson
[4] - OTL Lawrence Judd
[5] - OTL Samuel King
[6] - OTL Hiram Fong
[7] - OTL Daniel Akaka
[8] - OTL Pat Saiki​

Last edited:
@LeinadB93 I completely missed your entry on NB Pearl Harbour, excellent to see it in full use ITTL as well!

It does raise the question of just how many Royal Navy fleets there are, and what bases support them (I think we've seen about one or two thus far)? Hmm, if that hasn't been fleshed out yet I may have a list for your review in the near future ;)

@LeinadB93 I completely missed your entry on NB Pearl Harbour, excellent to see it in full use ITTL as well!

It does raise the question of just how many Royal Navy fleets there are, and what bases support them (I think we've seen about one or two thus far)? Hmm, if that hasn't been fleshed out yet I may have a list for your review in the near future ;)

Funny I was wondering about this as well when I read it. I think @LeinadB93 has said it's similar in size to OTL US, although I'd imagine that given the spread out nature of the constituent countries unlike OTL continental US that the RN would be bigger.

My thinking for the main fleets was
North Sea / Channel / East Atlantic Fleet based somewhere in England/Scotland (Portsmouth maybe?)
Mediterranean fleet to guard the Med and Suez Canal based from Malta
Atlantic Fleet based on Eastern seaboard of North America - where's a good anchorage?
South Atlantic Fleet based from Tierra del Fuego maybe. Or Sierra Leone?
Arabian Sea Fleet to guard the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman, based at Socotra
Caribbean Fleet for the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, based at Puerto Rico
North Pacific Fleet we know has a major base at Pearl Harbor, maybe also at Esquimalt, Oregon to cover the West coast more easily.
South Pacific Fleet based somewhere in Australia?
Indian Ocean fleet at Diego Garcia maybe?
I could also see fleets at either Hong Kong or Singapore. or both?

I could see the UKE Armed forces made up of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army, RAF and a Coast Guard more like OTL US Coast Guard. Does each constituent country have a home guard like OTL US national guard?

anyway, that's my two cents

Last edited:
Doesn't the US Navy have a huge base in Virginia IOTL? Maybe the Royal Navy can use the same place.

Yep they sure do. However, I would caution making it THE North American base for the Atlantic fleet; having all those eggs in one basket IOTL has led to issues with overlapped/duplicated tasking, space usage, military-civilian community friction, and potential vulnerability of putting so many assets together to attack or observe. I would therefore space assets out to at least three-four bases from Canada to Florida (not including Caribbean and Gulf bases).

Yep they sure do. However, I would caution making it THE North American base for the Atlantic fleet; having all those eggs in one basket IOTL has led to issues with overlapped/duplicated tasking, space usage, military-civilian community friction, and potential vulnerability of putting so many assets together to attack or observe. I would therefore space assets out to at least three-four bases from Canada to Florida (not including Caribbean and Gulf bases).
So maybe a base at Halifax, one at either Groton or New London, and the biggest at Norfolk?

So maybe a base at Halifax, one at either Groton or New London, and the biggest at Norfolk?

I'd say one somewhere in New England (preferably Halifax but one of the many coastal spots along Long Island Sound could work too), one at Norfolk, and one at OTL Jacksonville FL (the St. John's River is wide/deep and slow moving enough to make a good anchorage for large naval vessels, it's been a contender for hosting aircraft carriers IOTL).

So what about Marvel movies? Is there a Battle of London instead of a Battle of New York? A Captain Britannia instead of a Captain America? It occurs to me that one could easily have Tony Stark still live in Malibu if Maria Stark is Californian and he thus has dual citizenship. There's a part of me that really wants to see an English Agent Coulson- I feel like the stereotype of understatement and the stiff upper lip would go perfectly with a seen-it-all-already S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who's not impressed with these prima donna superheroes.

So what about Marvel movies? Is there a Battle of London instead of a Battle of New York? A Captain Britannia instead of a Captain America? It occurs to me that one could easily have Tony Stark still live in Malibu if Maria Stark is Californian and he thus has dual citizenship. There's a part of me that really wants to see an English Agent Coulson- I feel like the stereotype of understatement and the stiff upper lip would go perfectly with a seen-it-all-already S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who's not impressed with these prima donna superheroes.

Want. NOW!

The Marvel-verse UK already has a Captain Britain and other superheroes such as Union Jack. I suspect a lot of super heroes/villains either do not exist or like in DC are different age versions e.g. The Flash is either Barry Allen, Wally West or Jay Garrick depending on the era. So Steve Rogers could be a version of Captain Britain and the Avengers being the New Knights of the Round Table.

I suspect some settings such as Wakanda don't exist due to the environments which created them (anti-colonial etc) never existing or are radically changed due to the culture, laws and standards of the being different between OTL USA and UKE e.g. Dr Dooms Latvia being in Central to South America instead of Europe due that being much more cultural different to the UKE than a Central/Eastern Europe kingdom (remember the personal union the Kingdom of Britain had with the Electorate of Hannover until Victoria).

Last edited:
Questions;
On the world map it shows Bahamas and Turks and Caicos islands as British, where do the fall administratively? Are they part of Florida?
What other countries are commonwealth realms ITTL? Patagonia already been mentioned, any others like Belize (looks to be part of Mexico) or Papua New Guinea?