Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Well, yes, same as with Aragon in Sardinia, but the Catalan community there is tiny. As for the Greeks, I think the largest community of Greeks would be located in Apulia, which is not granted to Greece, but instead Calabria and Sicily are. Hence the confusion.

The Logic I fail to see here.. well, maybe that they didn't want to restore an Italian state to challenge the Papacy, but even then there were better choices.

Oh yeah, your points are definitely right - but if this map is crazy-stupid enough with its borders, it's no wonder to me they would try for such flimsy historical justifications.

2QaZ0Hk.png

In 1844 the Treaty of Whampoa was signed between Qing China and France, which formally gave the French all the privileges the English had gained the year before. However, the French envoy to China, Théodore de Lagrené, had some interesting proposals alongside the commercial part of the treaty which went unaccepted iOTL. These were;
  • Exchange of envoys between China and France, where the French legation shall be situated in Peking. Unfortunately, the Chinese dislike the idea of opening Peking to foreigners (the Legation Quarter in Peking was only established after the 2nd Opium War, in 1861) so this point seems unlikely to be accepted without some significant changes to the situation. The French might be able to get another city that's slightly less politically important, though - perhaps a city gained in the following point?
  • Cessation of the 'Bocca Tigris' to France, so that "France could assist in defence against the English" which the French "shall bear all the cost of defence". I represented this in the map by giving them basically all the coastal land around the Pearl River Delta, but its much more likely that they'd only get a single city like the English and the Portuguese did OTL.
  • China may send some pupils to France, where they shall be trained in French naval academies.

Source: This post

this makes me wonder: were there any projected aims for what the rest of Europe would look like if Napoleon won in the long run?
He already snagged and reorganized most of the best bits. I imagine Scandinavia would mostly stay the same (Nappy annexed right up to the Danish border, with the side effect that they couldn't even move south) while Finland might go back to the he Swedes, a King for the Baltic, a Grand Duke for Lithuania... I imagine there would be a lot or reorganizing in the Balkans, if he ever got around to wore with the Ottomans again, though after he lost Syria (he left his army behind and didn't tell anyone when he got back to France and got ready for a coup) he might think that area was all a bit embarrassing.

personally, for my ASB ATL, i had it written that the alternate *UN headquarters cycled between a few different cities in its early days before eventually settling in Zurich. there was no grounding in any of that, though--i'd chosen it because of Switzerland's historical neutrality.

it almost looks like Epcot :p anything else on this one? i'd love to learn more about it.

Given that Switzerland did not join UN as a full member until 10 September 2002, neutrality probably is not a good thing on this issue.

If you mean annexation or puppet state, I would say given that the USSR wasn't formed until 1922 then if the Russian Bolsheviks had won the 1920 war then for at least two years there would be a separate communist Polish state probably with borders along the Curzon Line or thereabouts.

I would have thought that they'd treat it as part of the World Revolution and it would be directly integrated and if they could, they'd keep going.