What happens to Canada in Ghost in the Shell

Someone posted a map in the Map thread, and though I have only sparingly watched the series, there was one where a Canadian diplomat came and it mentioned something about a civil war.

Now the map showed OTL Canada being part of some nation that also encompasses lots of OTL US and OTL Russia.

Wiki mentions some kind American Soviet Alliance.

What the hell happened. I am very intrigued.

WWIII, and then the Second Vietnam War. Part of the US became the American Empire, and part became the American Soviet Alliance. The Japanese saved the world because they came up with nanotech that cleaned up all the fallout.

I do remember from one episode that Canada is engaged in Conscription (One of the Suspects is a Draft Dodger), but that's it.

Zor

I think a good portion of the American Empire is made up of the South.

Yes, the American Empire is broadly consistent with the old CSA in area.

About the Russo-American Alliance (or "US-Soviet Alliance" in the Appleseed databooks), I never quite figured out it's land area. It's either only Alaska, or possibly all of the old US save for the American Empire. Then again, there's also the mentioning of a remnant calling itself still "USA", so my bet was this is located in the mainland area not occupied by the AE. But, in honest I have no idea.

Anyways, about Canada, there's basically two choices with it:
1) it still exists as a country (with uncertain affiliations)
2) it has been turned into a Badside area

My theory is that the writers, as most foreign writers are wont to do, forgot about Canada. We're pretty damned forgettable in any case. I mean... we didn't exactly nuke Japan, and the only true action we saw was the defense of Hong Kong.

Imagine this:

"So, the Americans turn evil and imperial, right?"
"Yep."
"What about that great big blob north of the USA?"
"What blob?"
*Points at Canada*
"I think that's some sort of military base, or parking lot, or some useless thing... You know how Americans are about secret bases..."

Not that it really matters but here is that map of Ghost in the Shell I made.

Last edited:
This is my current interpretation of the GITS world, using the blurred world map from that episode of the series, plus the map from the Appleseed databook. I was too lazy however to include all those silly craters everywhere:

Gitsverse.png

That's the dumbest FH map since the Gundam 00 map.

Anime: can't project future geopolitics realistically.

I'm afraid I agree, at both issues. It was only my obsession with obscure details that drove me into twisted fascination (and utter inability of understanding) of the GITS/Appleseed world map... ;):p