Create Your Own Alternate History Newspaper/News Thread!

From Kspence92's Death of a Nation, a TL of the events of 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, and beyond

latest

Sunday, May 12, 2002

OPERATION BLUEBIRD IN EFFECT
PM BLAIR: 'EVACUATE LONDON'
  • Massive order to evacuate the capital since the Blitz.
  • All buses, lorries, trains, airplanes, helicopters, and tourist boats currently in use to support OP: Bluebird.
  • Heavy traffic jams in all roads and bridges to South London.
latest

latest

HTH-logo2.gif

Wednesday, June 18, 1975

NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS VOTE TO INTEGRATE WITH GUAM, VOTES YES FOR STATEHOOD AS THE 'STATE OF MARIANAS'

map_of_northern-mariana-islands.jpg
Yesterday, the UN Trust Territory of the Northern Mariana Islands voted to integrate with the U.S. territory of Guam. The NMI is an island chain administered by the United States on the behest of the United Nations following the end of World War II. It was formerly under Imperial German and Japanese hands. With roughly 97% of the island's residents voting to the join the union, it expected that the State of Marianas will become officially a State by 1979.

Micronesia, Marshall Islands, and Palau have yet to hold their referendums whether to remain an associated state of the United States or to join the State of Marianas.

DAILY RICHMOND EXAMINER
RICHMOND, VA. Monday Morning, November 14th, 1881

Constitutional Convention Duly Proclaimed

The several states having legally assembled in their separate conventions, the Commonwealth of Virginia has joined with the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas to duly summon a convention of all the States for the sake of discussing an Amendment to our Constitution, in accordance with Article V of that hallowed document, presumably seeking the fulfilment of President Longstreet's promise to our Allies in England and France that our Peculiar Institution shall be brought gracefully to a close in return for the assistance lent us during our late, glorious Victory over the United States in the War of the Second Mexican Purchase.

This convention has been mooted for some time and delayed almost as long by disagreements within the body politick on whether the assistance lent us by our allies merits so significant an alteration of our Society, but it has at last been made possible for the success or failure of this policy to be decided by the Statesmen and not the Politicians. The Constitutional Convention will be held in Montgomery, Alabama our Nation's First Capital and has been scheduled to begin on February 6th of next year.

President Longstreet has publicly declared that he will not be attending, this being a matter for the Legislative Branch and not the Executive, though Vice President Lamar is expected to attend as his representative; a Justice of the Supreme Court will also be in attendance, to examine and to answer questions of Constitutionality, and shall discuss the question of our Peculiar Institution along with the Deputies and Delegates appointed by the several states, including Chihuahua, Cuba and Sonora, the newest stars to sparkle in our Southern Cross. Discussions are expected to be spirited.

What happened to the USA in this TL? Or what is the POD?

Timeline-191 happened! This is an entry I threw together on the principle that "it ain't Alternate History.com until somebody starts talking Southern Victory!" and something I've been thinking about as part of my attachment to FILLING THE GAPS (a thread which should still be on the first page of the Books and Other Media section of these forums and which shall richly repay your interest should you care to read it).:biggrin:

For the record the institution of Nation-wide Manumission in the Confederate States of America would indeed have required a full-blown Constitutional Convention of the States and not just a vote in the Confederate Congress, followed by ratification across the Southern States (as per Article V of the Confederate Constitution, reproduced below).

ARTICLE V

Section I. (I) Upon the demand of any three States, legally assembled in their several conventions, the Congress shall summon a convention of all the States, to take into consideration such amendments to the Constitution as the said States shall concur in suggesting at the time when the said demand is made; and should any of the proposed amendments to the Constitution be agreed on by the said convention, voting by States, and the same be ratified by the Legislatures of two- thirds of the several States, or by conventions in two-thirds thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the general convention, they shall thenceforward form a part of this Constitution. But no State shall, without its consent, be deprived of its equal representation in the Senate.

As mentioned above, one imagines there would be one almighty bun-fight at any such Convention addressing the question of a General Manumission (and probably a great deal of foot-dragging in the hope that support for the idea would wither up if somebody procrastinated for long enough); for the record the "Solid South" State of Alabama was persuaded to call for a Constitutional Convention through the intervention of President Longstreet (something of a Favourite Son in the Yellowhammer State, which appointed him to West Point after the vacancy in his district of Georgia was filled by another candidate and got "Old Pete" started in his career as a Confederate Officer - the fact his mother also lived in that State doubtless results in passionate disagreement between Georgia and the Alabamans over which State gets to claim the Greatest Confederate President as its very own, at least in the World of Timeline-191*).

*In our own History Longstreet appears to have spent most of his childhood in Georgia (staying with an uncle there after his family left for the Cotton State following the death of his Father) and does not appear to have lived in Alabama for any length of time (though being a Military Man his existence was peripatetic if not outright nomadic before the Civil War) and he appears to have preferred New Orleans and Georgia to the Heart of Dixie when seeking a homestead following the Surrender of the South.

Well I can't speak for Gillan 1220, but if you let the thread know what you loathe most then I'm sure somebody can whip up an article calculated to make you Miserable, m'lord!;)

Deleted member 2186

Well I can't speak for Gillan 1220, but if you let the thread know what you loathe most then I'm sure somebody can whip up an article calculated to make you Miserable, m'lord!;)
All of them please.

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but what is wrong with lordroel? As I understand it, this entire site is for people to just let ideas they have, within reason of course, to be typed out.

Deleted member 2186

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but what is wrong with lordroel? As I understand it, this entire site is for people to just let ideas they have, within reason of course, to be typed out.
Nothing is wrong with me, that i know of so far, just like some of the ideas and would like to see them made into full timelines.

It was more a timeline where America became something akin to a Brazil - a minor world power, but massively corrupt. A part of that was continued discrimination against blacks.

So Britain and France are the world powers here?
Massive butterflies indeed... :O

From my previous posts about Detective Conan being shown on CBBC... (see here)

upload_2018-4-18_22-57-25.jpeg

The Pint-sized PI: How CBBC's Japanese import is taking Britain by storm
8 May 2002

9a7a5344da62f8ef696654e5ec363b6c1413505831_full.jpg

The Main Cast. Clockwise from Centre: Conan, Dr. Agasa, Inspector Meguire, Richard Moore, The Junior Detective League (Amy, Mitch, and George) and Rachel Moore.

He is one of the greatest detectives of his time, even though he is a child, and he is rapidly becoming the hottest Japanese property since Pokemon.

Since the four-part screening of The Face at the Window back in late January and early February, Conan Edogawa has become a permanent presence on CBBC. So much so, that CBBC have expanded into the 5:35pm slot each weekday to show Case Closed, moving Neighbours over to BBC Choice.

The expansion, which came into force with the airing of the first episode, The Big Shrink, showed that CBBC have big plans for Conan. Sources at Funimation, who dubbed the show for Toonami two years ago, have said that their contract to dub the show for CBBC (only 130 episodes were initially dubbed for Toonami, with another 150 yet to be dubbed) covers every single episode and film. And it appears to be working, as the show is engaging in much more of a way than Pokemon. One columnist for this paper, while judging the show, stated that he tried to solve one of the early cases before Conan could and failed miserably, while another early episode, Moonlight Sonata Murder Part 2, was such an emotional gut-punch that the presenter, Angelica Bell, was visibly in tears as she signed off after the episode.

The films are also being dubbed; the first one, The Time-Bombed Skyscraper (Possibly inappropriate given events of the past year, but it was made in 1997) was aired over the Easter holidays, while the second, The Fourteenth Target, will air at the beginning of the summer holiday. Although Vi Graythorn, who appeared in The Face at the Window, is yet to appear, CBBC have told us to expect her in the summer. They have also said that the plan is to catch up to as close as the Japanese releases as possible, and then roll the show back to weekly showings.

One thing is for sure; it looks as though CITV's "Pokemonopoly" is no more.

October 10th, 2001
Iran invades Afghanistan, Al-Qaeda retreats towards Pakistan[/cent]

Taliban-Airstrike-Night-vision.png

A infrared image of a Iranian air strike on Al-Qaeda

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard has reportedly invaded Afghanistan

Iranian forces entered the country last night, reportedly with the consent of members of the Taliban regime. A Statement from the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said the Iranian regime is targeting members of Al-Qaeda, the organization behind the failed attack on New York City in September.

A Taliban-controlled radio station has called on it's fighters to not resist the invasion and instead, assist it in 'waging a holy struggle against the tafkiri'. The use of this language is significant because the word 'tafkir' is a very negative term in Islam, referring to a Muslim who has committed apostasy.

Violence has been very minimal, with firefights being limited to small skirmishes between Al-Qaeda insurgents and the Iranian forces and the Taliban in the cities such as Jalabad. There have been reports of suicide bombings being carried out against Iranian troops. Air strikes have been carried out against Al-Qaeda targets, mostly training camps and bases, particularly in the mountains. It has been reported that members of Al-Qaeda are fleeing towards the Afghan-Pakistani border.

The State Department has released the following statement;

"The United States supports the actions of the Islamic Republic of Iran and are prepared to provide assistance in whatever form the Iranians request. We would like to reiterate that we would prefer that the Al-Qaeda leadership, particularly Osama Bin Laden, be taken alive and transferred to the custody of the United States", [/cent]

The Iranian government has not issued a response to the State Department's statement.

In response to the Iranian invasion, the Northern Alliance has launched an offensive against Taliban targets, with the offensive being labelled Massoud's Revenge in honour of the slain General Ahmad Shah Massoud.

Interesting scenario. What caused the 9/11 attacks to fail?
And so, wouldn't the U.S. send special forces to Afghanistan if they find out from the hijackers it was OBL and KSM behind the plot?

Nothing is wrong with me, that i know of so far, just like some of the ideas and would like to see them made into full timelines.

You are free to make these into full timelines, though some are based from other timelines posted on this forums and the wiki, as well as games and movies.