Create Your Own Alternate History Newspaper/News Thread!

Whether it be from an alternate outcome of a Battle/War in history or an alternate election outcome or a sports event or an ASB event (Godzilla, Independence Day, Resident Evil, etc).

Feel free to create your own newspaper headlines, articles, FB posts, Tweets, and screengrabs here

Here is an article I created for the Philippines in the Independence Day universe during the War of 1996.
SUN STAR
Baguio

July 3, 1996

MANILA DESTROYED!
latest
  • President FVR and cabinet relocates to Baguio.
  • Millions feared dead as alien mothership obliterates capital.
  • Damaged may have spread to Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal
  • Contact lost with Visayas and Mindanao

All of Metro Manila has been destroyed by the alien mothership that hovered around the city for almost eight hours. Prior to the city's destruction, President Fidel V. Ramos and the cabinet ordered the evacuation of the overpopulated capital region before relocating to Baguio City, where a temporary capital has been established there. It is estimated that 1.5 million people may have perished as around 300,000-400,000 may have escaped to neighboring provinces of Cavite, Laguna, Rizal, or have sailed to Manila Bay or Laguna Bay.

The Department of Interior and Local Government estimates damage between 15-20 million pesos. The Armed Forces of the Philippines have suffered heavy casaulties, with the loss of Villamor Airbase, the Philippine Air Force is reduced to only a quarter left. Remaining units are believe to remain operation in Pampanga, Tarlac, Cebu, Davao, and Zamboanga, and by the order of the President, to remain so should contact be re-established since the temporary government in Baguio has lost contact with the south.

Turn to page A26.

Shout-out to SpanishSpy's The Eagle Looks to the Right Scenario on Alternate History Wiki

new-york-times-logo.jpg

NEW YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2001

U.S. ATTACKED
HIJACKED JETS DESTROY TWIN TOWERS AND HIT PENTAGON AND CAPITOL IN DAY OF TERROR, BUSH DIES OF HEART ATTACK
ac6fe88a1c62336e9db37d6fc63ead6a.jpg

mg22530144.100-1_800.jpg
59c7766d18f5134ff8f4379e1f4f52bf.jpg
NewsMedia_129763.jpg

latest

AMERICAN TARGETS. A ball of fire exploded outward after the second of two jet liners slammed into the World Trade Center; less than two hours layer, both of the 110-story towers were gone. Hijackers crashed a third airliner into the Pentagon and fourth airliner into the Capitol building, setting off a huge explosion and fire.
A CREEPING HORROR
Buildings Burn and Fall as Onlookers Search for Elusive Safety
By N.R. KLEINFIELD

A Somber VP-Turned President Cheney Says Terrorism Cannot Prevail
By ELISABETH BUMILLER with DAVID E. SANGER

President Cheney Vows to Exact Punishment and Justice for 'Evil'
By SURGE SCHEMANN
wtc636259.jpg

SECOND PLANE. United Airlines Flight 175 nearing the trade center's south tower.

Awaiting the Aftershocks
Washington and Nation Plunge Into Fight With Enemy Hard to Identify and Punish

By R. W. APPLE Jr.

Preview for my upcoming timeline series entitled For What Its Worth - a Medal of Honor: Rising Sun crossover with Yamashita: The Tiger's Treasure

Old-London-Alternate_Washington-Post-Logo-Font.jpg

Saturday, May 15, 2010

YAMASHITA TREASURE FOUND

AFTER NEARLY 70 YEARS, LEGENDARY LOOT DISCOVERED

1*FNdlIKedkJv5WeN2lKjJ7A.jpeg

The infamous Golden Buddha of Yamashita on display at Camp Crame for the time being. It is believed to be one of many Golden Buddhas surrounding the myth.
index.jpg

Soldiers and policeman guard some of the goldbars recently unearthed in the island of Mindoro.
In what is regarded one of the world's largest mysteries of World War II, the legendary Yamashita Treasure has been discovered by a group of adventurers people accompanied by two U.S. Marine veterans and a Philippine Commonwealth Army veteran. The adventurers, led by Jobert Rosales, 21, led his friends Omar, Elmor, Vince, Willie, Orly, and Larla, alongside PCA veteran Carmelo "Melo" Rosales, 88, former American servicemen PFC Donald "Donnie" Griffin, 92, and former OSS Agent Joseph "Joe" Griffin, 88. Despite their old age, they were able to hike the treacheous terrain and hostile forces.

Along the way, the group was kidnapped by a WWII Japanese veteran, alias "Naguchi", whom apparently used some of criminal underground connections in the Philippines to hold the group against their will, hiring mercenaries armed with M-16 assault rifles, M1911 handguns, and Uzi submachine guns. Seeing no choice, the group led Naguchi and his criminal syndicate to the site in the island of Mindoro, where the loot was transferred into transport trucks.

The suspicious activity of heavily armed men in the area alerted local police and military units that were tipped off by witnesses. The Philippine Army sent a truck with a platoon of soldiers to investigate the area. According to one soldier that wished to remain anonymous, they discovered a group of men holding civilians at gunpoint chasing some civilians, shooting at the ground to make them round. Unknown to the mercenaries, their shots hit the truck carrying the soldiers, causing them to return fire. No one was killed but 4 mercenaries were wounded. The rest apparently surrendered as more soldiers had been called in.

Meanwhile, the trucks carrying the loot were stopped by thousands of people who somehow learned of the value behind it. The henchmen were arrested alongside Naguchi as the police neared their convoy.

Jobert, Melo, the Griffins, and their friends were then sent to a hospital under witness protection. It is unknown if they will make a public appearance soon. President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and President-elect Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino have congratulated the group for finally unearthing this legend, thus closing a chapter in Philippine and world history. The Malacanang Palace may soon invite the group. The U.S. Embassy has decided to shoulder the expense of the hospital bill for the two American veterans currently hospitalized.

World Leaders congratulate the Griffins and Co.
Turn to page 4 for International Reactions

Fate of Loot to be discussed

'People Power IV' stop criminal syndicate from taking the treasure

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 2.31.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 2.31.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 2.31.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 2.31.20 AM.png

Crowds, some waving Philippine flags gather around the trucks carrying the loot while news choppers hover above and Philippine Navy gunboats patrol the waters around Mindoro.

Residents apparently stopped Naguchi and his syndicates as they traveled with the loot. Sources within the Philippine Government state that undercover agents broke the news on purpose in order to stop the mercenaries from escaping.

In what has been described as People Power IV, an estimate of 5,000-15,000 of Mindoro Island's population converged on the transport trucks carrying the Yamashita treasure. The henchmen initially tried to disperse the crowds by firing their handguns on the air, but it only attracted more. As the crowds grew, so did national media. News vans flooded the scene as news choppers hovered above. The Philippine National Police, backed by the Army soldiers and Navy gunboats which patrolled the nearby coastal road, then intercepted the convoy, arresting the henchmen and retrieving the loot.

Roberto Vargas, 27, was attending his store when he saw a news on TV calling people to intercept the convoy about criminals obtaining 'precious gold'. Asked when what about how he reacted about the news, he was shocked to discover it was the legendary Yamashita treasure. "I was at disbelief." He said in Filipino, "I was like 'Wow, that was unexpected' then suddenly a crowd of people were heading down the road, armed with nothing. One of them told me to help them block the roads. The crowd was composed of different backgrounds. And I was convinced to join because this is our history, it should not be stolen from us."

A 13 year old boy, named withheld, joined with his friends in blocking the convoy. "We were like, my God this is real!? There stealing our treasure. Then I saw everyone in town converging to the same area. It reminded me of fiesta or as if Manny Pacquiao won another match. So I went my friends and helped our police retrieve the treasure from the bad guys."

How will the discovery of the treasure affect American and Fil-Am veterans in PH, U.S.?

VA to hold press conference.

The Vancouver Sun
MONDAY, JUNE 5, 1989

SHOTS FIRED FROM BOTH SIDES
China plunged into Second Civil War
main_900.jpg

FZGI47TSEJCU7G7W2TNRBRVKDI

Above: Pro-democracy soldiers ride a military truck as citizens walk by.
Below: Government tanks secure the square while citizens pass beneath.
World leaders condemn violence
  • FM Joe Clark: "We can only express horror and outrage at the senseless violence and tragic loss of life resulting from the indiscriminate and brutal use of force against students and civilians of Peking."
  • Warsaw Pact governments divided, Poland condemns the PLA crackdown, while Romania, Hungary, and East Germany shows their support towards the Chinese Communist Party.
  • USSR yet to comment on the events in China.
A6

Canadian embassy: No Canadians hurt in chaos, urged to leave China immediately
A3

Overseas Chinese citizens hold protests in Alberta, Toronto, and Vancouver
A7

Deleted member 2186

The Vancouver Sun
MONDAY, JUNE 5, 1989

SHOTS FIRED FROM BOTH SIDES
China plunged into Second Civil War
main_900.jpg

FZGI47TSEJCU7G7W2TNRBRVKDI

Above: Pro-democracy soldiers ride a military truck as citizens walk by.
Below: Government tanks secure the square while citizens pass beneath.
World leaders condemn violence
  • FM Joe Clark: "We can only express horror and outrage at the senseless violence and tragic loss of life resulting from the indiscriminate and brutal use of force against students and civilians of Peking."
  • Warsaw Pact governments divided, Poland condemns the PLA crackdown, while Romania, Hungary, and East Germany shows their support towards the Chinese Communist Party.
  • USSR yet to comment on the events in China.
A6

Canadian embassy: No Canadians hurt in chaos, urged to leave China immediately
A3

Overseas Chinese citizens hold protests in Alberta, Toronto, and Vancouver
A7
Nice is this due the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 going nation wide, this 2nd Civil War may end up being more bloodier than World War II.

Nice is this due the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 going nation wide, this 2nd Civil War may end up being more bloodier than World War II.

It definitely would, one thing is the U.S. and the UK might get involved clandestinely (as for Britain, Hong Kong was still a colony then). Contrary to the belief, the Soviet Union will not intervene on the side of the Communist Party in this second civil war. They were not in the best of terms, even after Gorby visited Beijing in May 1989 at the heart of the protests.

Would love to follow this up with another headline from another newspaper in the future, but keep in mind this thread is open to anyone who wishes to create their own alternate history newspaper headline, article, front page, screen grab, or Twitter post.

Deleted member 2186

It definitely would, one thing is the U.S. and the UK might get involved clandestinely (as for Britain, Hong Kong was still a colony then). Contrary to the belief, the Soviet Union will not intervene on the side of the Communist Party in this second civil war. They were not in the best of terms, even after Gorby visited Beijing in May 1989 at the heart of the protests.

Would love to follow this up with another headline from another newspaper in the future, but keep in mind this thread is open to anyone who wishes to create their own alternate history newspaper headline, article, front page, screen grab, or Twitter post.
Taiwan would intervene, but i like this idea.

Taiwan would intervene, but i like this idea.

I would the ROC intervene when things get a little "interesting", as in when the CCP is already falling majority of the PLA defecting to the rebels. Tibet and Xinjiang could use this moment to declare independence. Around 1989-early 1990s, Taiwan was slowly building their military. While they didn't have the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Mirage 2000, and some French frigates and Oliver Hazard Perry-class destroyers, they did have two Dutch-built submarines which were more advanced the the PLA-N submarine fleet, in addition to their WWII submarines given by the United States.

There are already many scenarios about a Tiananmen Square being the POD for a Second Chinese Civil War,
Here are a few:
http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Gate_Of_Heavenly_Peace
http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Chinese_Federated_Union_(The_Era_of_Relative_Peace) - this one I wrote around 2016 when I was writing a World In Conflict extended scenario
http://thisdayinalternatehistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-4-1989-soldiers-join-tiananmen.html

Deleted member 2186

I would the ROC intervene when things get a little "interesting", as in when the CCP is already falling majority of the PLA defecting to the rebels. Tibet and Xinjiang could use this moment to declare independence. Around 1989-early 1990s, Taiwan was slowly building their military. While they didn't have the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Mirage 2000, and some French frigates and Oliver Hazard Perry-class destroyers, they did have two Dutch-built submarines which were more advanced the the PLA-N submarine fleet, in addition to their WWII submarines given by the United States.

There are already many scenarios about a Tiananmen Square being the POD for a Second Chinese Civil War,
Here are a few:
http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Gate_Of_Heavenly_Peace
http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Chinese_Federated_Union_(The_Era_of_Relative_Peace) - this one I wrote around 2016 when I was writing a World In Conflict extended scenario
http://thisdayinalternatehistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-4-1989-soldiers-join-tiananmen.html
Thanks, i will check them out.

The London Herald
April 29th, 1938
upload_2018-4-8_22-6-39.png

Chancellor of the Volkstag Condemns Russia
Fears of Violence in the Greater Soviet Union
The unhappy marriage of Russia, Germany and the other Soviet Republics suffered yet more strife yesterday as Chancellor Thalmann stated, "Almost two decades into this great new age in human history we are facing our greatest threat yet, not from the capitalists in London and Paris or the fascists in Tokyo but from the revisionist rot that has infected the heart of this Union, Moscow. Instead of giving selfless to the world as they did in our revolution, Russia has stabbed our comrades in Spain in the back to pursue the Tsarist interests of old." This speech follows on the increasingly tense relationship between Berlin and Moscow over Thalmann and Stalin's conflicting views on foreign policy and proper communist ideology.

(This is a newspaper clip from a tl premise I have but have not developed in any meaningful way. Basically, Germany has a communist revolution during Lenin's reign over the Soviet Union and he gets them to join as a member. Eventually though the conflict between Germany and Russia leads the Greater Soviet Union into a sort of civil war.)

The London Herald
April 29th, 1938

Chancellor of the Volkstag Condemns Russia
Fears of Violence in the Greater Soviet Union

(This is a newspaper clip from a tl premise I have but have not developed in any meaningful way. Basically, Germany has a communist revolution during Lenin's reign over the Soviet Union and he gets them to join as a member. Eventually though the conflict between Germany and Russia leads the Greater Soviet Union into a sort of civil war.)

What happened to Hitler here? So Germany is known here as the German SSR? What side will the U.S., UK, and France take? Or will they just watch the communists destroy themselves?

Overall, great premise. Has a lot of potential.

What happened to Hitler here? So Germany is known here as the German SSR? What side will the U.S., UK, and France take? Or will they just watch the communists destroy themselves?

In my current plan, Hitler was going to flee to Austria after the revolution and eventually work his way to being an infamous kingmaker/perennial pain-in-the-ass to whoever was actually running the country.

I was thinking that the Western powers would let the communists bloody each other in the early part of the war at least, one of the more distant ideas would be that there would be no proper World War II but their would a number of conflicts, including this Soviet War that would raise to Great War status.

In my current plan, Hitler was going to flee to Austria after the revolution and eventually work his way to being an infamous kingmaker/perennial pain-in-the-ass to whoever was actually running the country.

I was thinking that the Western powers would let the communists bloody each other in the early part of the war at least, one of the more distant ideas would be that there would be no proper World War II but their would a number of conflicts, including this Soviet War that would raise to Great War status.

Interesting. The West would not want to be involved knowing the drain of resources, not until they see an opening where they can use it as an advantage.
On the Far East, how does a Greater Soviet Union affect Mongolia and the Chinese Civil War? Did the Japanese also invade Manchuria in 1937 on schedule as OTL?

From Spec Ops: The Line.

January 26, 2012

SANDSTORMS COME TO DUBAI
latest

The city of Dubai is to be engulfed in the worst sandstorm in UAE history. President Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum have called for the evacuation of the city. They are disclaiming the rumors that the wealthy Middle Eastern city would be "abandoned". However, both emergency services and the armed forces have struggled to cope with the increasing amount of residents to be evacuated. All roads leading out to city have been jammed with 8 hour long traffic jams. All flights from the airport have been busy around the clock delivering passengers into Abu Dhabi and neighboring cities. The seaport remains in operation.

The United States has offered to come to the aid of the Emirate, placing the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet and the U.S. Army's 33rd Infantry Battialion based in Kuwait on standby, as stated by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta in a press conference in the Pentagon. The UAE has yet to approve the offer. Meanwhile, the Gulf States Union has also promised to provide assistance to the emirate.

Deleted member 2186

Second that.

Based on Harry Turtledove's The Hot War.
Pacific-Stars-and-Stripes.png

TUESDAY, January 23, 1951

A-BOMBS USED IN MANCHURIA!
Thousands of Red Chinese Soldiers Decimated;
Shenyang, Dandong, Qingdao (Port Arthur) Destroyed In Blasts;
Mao Zedong Declares State-of-War between Red China Against USA, NATO, and Allies;
Stalin Vows Support to China and Eastern European Comrades, Declares 'Global War Against Capitalism'

atomic-bomb-black-white.jpg

An explosion from an atomic bomb dropped from a B-29 seen in the Sino-Korean border.
After an intense debate between General Douglas MacArthur and President Truman, at least a dozen atomic bombs have been dropped on Manchuria, just north of the Korean border. The bombs were dropped from B-29 Superfortress bombers based on Tinian Island in the Marianas and in Japan. Scenes of mushroom clouds and destruction dotted the landscape. It is estimated that around 250,000 Chinese and another 144,000 North Korean soldiers have been killed in the blasts, in addition to countless civilians. Continued on page 4.

PRES. TRUMAN: USSR and Red China Responsible for War
1051501291.jpg

President Truman addressing a joint-session on Congress in Capitol Hill, stating an official declaration of war against North Korea, Red China, the Soviet Union, and the Iron Curtain.

Navy Reactivates Mothballed Carriers, Jeep Escorts, Destroyers, Battleships, Frigates, and Cruisers

Aerial_view_of_Boston_Navy_Yard%2C_circa_July_1943.jpg

Countless ships ranging from destroyers (DDGs), battleships (BBs), jeep escorts (CVE), light carriers (CV), large aircraft carriers, frigates, and destroyers awaiting reactivation in Boston Navy Yard. Mothballed ships are also awaiting reactivation in Philadelphia Naval Shipyards, the Norfolk Naval Base, the San Diego Naval Base, Bremerton Shipyards, and Pearl Harbor.
Volunteers for ATC and Merchant Marine Spike Up
wwii-merchant-marine.jpg

la-times.jpg

Friday , June 7, 1968​
Robert F. Kennedy narrowly avoids assassination!!
Brother of late President Kennedy nearly killed after speech in California.​
robert_kennedy_009.jpg

(Kennedy announcing his victory to a crowd of people.)
24 hours ago Democratic candidate for President Robert F. Kennedy, was nearly assassinated by a Palestinian named Sirhan Sirhan who’s motives are yet to be known. Kennedy had just made a speech at the Los Angles Ambassador hotel and was leaving through the kitchen when a series of shots rang out. Through the confusion and hysteria, the assassin had been tackled down and handcuffed by police. Kennedy was unharmed although some of his entourage were injured during the event.
kennedy-assassination-plimpton.jpg

(Author George Plimpton, front left, and J.W. Gallivan, Jr., a Robert Kennedy aide, try to wrestle the pistol out of the hand of Sirhan Sirhan.)
Kennedy has announced he will still campaign, not letting this near end distract him from the main issues. Polls are showing a rise of 50% for Kennedy after this traumatic incident, this might allow Kennedy to beat incumbent Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Senator Eugene McCarthy.
Photo_rfk_RfkChavez.jpg
(Senator Kennedy with a young man named Cesar E. Chavez)

la-times.jpg

Friday , June 7, 1968​
Robert F. Kennedy narrowly avoids assassination!!
Brother of late President Kennedy nearly killed after speech in California.​
robert_kennedy_009.jpg

(Kennedy announcing his victory to a crowd of people.)
24 hours ago Democratic candidate for President Robert F. Kennedy, was nearly assassinated by a Palestinian named Sirhan Sirhan who’s motives are yet to be known. Kennedy had just made a speech at the Los Angles Ambassador hotel and was leaving through the kitchen when a series of shots rang out. Through the confusion and hysteria, the assassin had been tackled down and handcuffed by police. Kennedy was unharmed although some of his entourage were injured during the event.
kennedy-assassination-plimpton.jpg

(Author George Plimpton, front left, and J.W. Gallivan, Jr., a Robert Kennedy aide, try to wrestle the pistol out of the hand of Sirhan Sirhan.)
Kennedy has announced he will still campaign, not letting this near end distract him from the main issues. Polls are showing a rise of 50% for Kennedy after this traumatic incident, this might allow Kennedy to beat incumbent Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Senator Eugene McCarthy.
Photo_rfk_RfkChavez.jpg
(Senator Kennedy with a young man named Cesar E. Chavez)

Awesome! Has potential.

DAILY RICHMOND EXAMINER
RICHMOND, VA. Monday Morning, November 14th, 1881

Constitutional Convention Duly Proclaimed

The several states having legally assembled in their separate conventions, the Commonwealth of Virginia has joined with the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas to duly summon a convention of all the States for the sake of discussing an Amendment to our Constitution, in accordance with Article V of that hallowed document, presumably seeking the fulfilment of President Longstreet's promise to our Allies in England and France that our Peculiar Institution shall be brought gracefully to a close in return for the assistance lent us during our late, glorious Victory over the United States in the War of the Second Mexican Purchase.

This convention has been mooted for some time and delayed almost as long by disagreements within the body politick on whether the assistance lent us by our allies merits so significant an alteration of our Society, but it has at last been made possible for the success or failure of this policy to be decided by the Statesmen and not the Politicians. The Constitutional Convention will be held in Montgomery, Alabama our Nation's First Capital and has been scheduled to begin on February 6th of next year.

President Longstreet has publicly declared that he will not be attending, this being a matter for the Legislative Branch and not the Executive, though Vice President Lamar is expected to attend as his representative; a Justice of the Supreme Court will also be in attendance, to examine and to answer questions of Constitutionality, and shall discuss the question of our Peculiar Institution along with the Deputies and Delegates appointed by the several states, including Chihuahua, Cuba and Sonora, the newest stars to sparkle in our Southern Cross. Discussions are expected to be spirited.