Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Yes but in Nasser's time they were part of the same nation. What Chris S is asking is why would Nasser have split off South Sudan?
I don't know, but 80% of Northern Sudanese are Arabs and the country predominately practices Islam. I'm pretty sure Nasser's goal was for them to join the Arab Union, but I have no idea if he had any future plans for the South Sudanese. Maybe the whole country would be taken in, maybe the South would've been granted independence.

I don't know. 80% of Northern Sudanese are Arabs and the country predominately practices Islam. I'm pretty sure Nasser's goal was for them to join the Arab Union, but I have no idea if he had any future plans for the South Sudanese. Maybe the whole country would be taken in, maybe the South would've been granted independence.

The Anglo-German conventions on a potential partition of the Portuguese colonial empire are rather well-sourced (you can even find them on the early pages of this thread) but there's one variation for it I sadly can't find a genuine source for. That proposal was that in 1914 an unnamed German banking consortium wanted to buy the colonial province of Nyassaland in modern Mozambique from Portugal and transfer it to German East Africa. This deal was stopped due to the outbreak of the First World War. This information was taken from the German wikipedia article on the German colonial empire, by the way.

So... I've made a worlda patch for it.

Deutsch Ostafrika Expansion Patch.png

The border of Portuguese Nyassaland is from this map.

6%20BEB.jpg

Last edited:
In that case, Google is a dirty liar.
Did you use image search? Usually best to follow the links to see what is said about it. Often times you can find something is just being discussed in part. Maybe the person who did this looked at a bunch of plans various people had made separately? I can see the reasonableness of wanting Malta, but I know a lot of other maps had the zgermans wanting a string of French ports. I also notice the map doesn't have German Samoa or their possessions in China.

Excellent, though I imagine the area neither Sudan nor Egypt wanted would go to Sudan here, and the Golan Heights to Syria. Come to think of this, didn't Mauritanian have a third of Western Sahara back then?

Not during Nasser's time. While Nasser was alive it was the Spanish Sahara. It was only from 1975-1979 that Mauritania had control over the southern third of Western Sahara.

Not during Nasser's time. While Nasser was alive it was the Spanish Sahara. It was only from 1975-1979 that Mauritania had control over the southern third of Western Sahara.
Ahhhh. I suppose it depends on who is in charge in Morocco for this world. If the Moroccoans were still claiming land from Spain (including all of Spanish Sahara) plus huge chunks of Algeria and Mauritania there might be bad feelings. I think the Moroccans dropped their claims on Mauritania officially when they split up the land. Plus, just might looking up Mauritania, it seems that 30% of Mauritania has the same ethnicity (kinda sorta) with the Sahwari. I am guessing his preference is for the locals to vote in if they are independent or partitioned. It depends on how much power their Senate equivalent would be and if the Gulf States needed to be counterbalanced.
View attachment 381048
Here we have Nasser's dream of a Pan-Arab nation.
i can't tell, but does Syria have Hatay?

Does anyone have any Soviet Union related maps/proposals?

So far, the only map that I’ve seen here is the SU claims on eastern Turkey.

The only stuff that comes to my mind are the Interwar proposals for the Soviet-Finnish border... I'll see if I can find anything concrete.

EDIT: I found this map on Wikipedia for the southern border (aka what the Soviets wanted) and this low-res map for the Soviet offer as compensation. That second map seems to have originally been on Wikipedia, but I couldn't find it anymore, so this is the result of a Google image search preview of it being hosted in a thread here on AH.com

Soviet-finnish_negotiations_1939_borderline.png

Repola Porosozero.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't that slated for eventual annexation, though?

Seems like it, actually. At the least, it would be an effective vassal of the German Empire.

AFAIK, the United Baltic Duchy was supposed to be in effective personal union with the German Empire. The Kaiser would rule as head-of-state there, so it would certainly exist in a weird limbo between vassal state and direct annexation.

A4G1djw.jpg

Map of the Finnish Democratic Republic. Had the USSR totally conquered Finland in the Winter War, this shows the territories that would comprise a puppet Finnish state.

A4G1djw.jpg

Map of the Finnish Democratic Republic. Had the USSR totally conquered Finland in the Winter War, this shows the territories that would comprise a puppet Finnish state.
Marvelous. This actually has corrected a mistake I made a lot, when I say that the Finno-Karelian SSR was formed as the base to annex Finland later on.