Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As for conflicts and flash points in Europe, it's been mentioned that Spain is going to have another Carlist war, one which will likely involve France and Britain backing different sides.

The next Carlist war I am guessing will come on the heels of the Spanish War against either America or Texas. I think it was that eight years after the ACW Tombs will be discovered in Cuba. I don't know if him being discovered will be a trigger for the war or a result of it, but I think it will be tied with it.

Since the Carlists seem to be closely tied with the Bonapartes, ironically, France is likely to lend support. Not sure about Britain aiding the Isabeline faction though.

It's been mentioned that Scandinavia may try and unify, and that it may escalate into a full blown diplomatic crisis, so I guess that could be the trigger.

Yeah, Denmark being absorbed by Sweden-Norway will surely send ripples.

I woke up feeling inspired this morning, so I decided to try and make a map of Europe post the Austrian partition.

View attachment 378054

For my first attempt at map making, I think it went well. I'm not entirely happy with Hungary's borders and Alsace Lorraine.

Thanks for the map, looks great! The borders of Europe will stay the same for about a decade or so, however the rest of the world is going to change immensely.

Also loving the immense speculation that you guys have had so far. I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say that you guys have got a good number of things correct, and some thing wrong. All will be revealed in due time.

I also apologize immensely for the delay. College life keeps on getting the way with work and all of my free time in writing was dedicated to Gihren's Glory which I had writer's block on, and I severely needed to update due to the Turltedoves. In case you didn't notice, Gihren's Glory is now in the running for best ASB based on a work of fiction poll. So be sure to take some time to read the story (especially if you are into Gundam) and vote Gihren's Glory to the top.

My goal is to get an update by the end of the week which will deal with the Paraguayan War. I'll have some free time on the weekend so that should be my priority. Thanks for the incredible patience guys. I'll be sure to reward you soon!

One thing I hope for, is Russia keeping Alaska. With the USA seeming destined to get all of Canada that isn't Quebec, I would like to see that get away from them.

As it is I worry the USA will annex Cuba ITTL.

One thing I hope for, is Russia keeping Alaska. With the USA seeming destined to get all of Canada that isn't Quebec, I would like to see that get away from them.

As it is I worry the USA will annex Cuba ITTL.
Chris has already hinted at the US getting Alaska, so I'll bust your bubble there. Cuba remains to be seen though.

Chris has already hinted at the US getting Alaska, so I'll bust your bubble there. Cuba remains to be seen though.

I guess I'll get into the bubble bursting too.

In the Lone Star Sepecial: Birth of a New Age, it is mentioned that Havana as well as Santo Domingo would be cities in the US.

LSS New Age said:
By 2017, Miami would become one of the most premier ports in the United States and one whose Latin culture would only be rivaled by Havana and Santo Domingo.

So it seems that the US will annex Cuba from Spain, as well as eventually incorporate the Dominican Republic. (My money is on them becoming a protectorate, there was an attemp by President Grant to make them one OTL, the senate rejected it.)

So it seems that the US will annex Cuba from Spain, as well as eventually incorporate the Dominican Republic. (My money is on them becoming a protectorate, there was an attemp by President Grant to make them one OTL, the senate rejected it.)

Drat! I was hoping at least Santo Domingo if it fell would be under the Lone Star.

Yeah, Denmark being absorbed by Sweden-Norway will surely send ripples.

Maybe, Texas can acquire the Danish Virgin Islands instead of the US. A little reorganization of colonial territories around the world and particularly on the map of the Caribbean might be a little unexpected ripple.

Still a great timeline, Bryan

So guys I'm working on the next update and will hopefully post by the end of the day. Before I do that though I have two announcements on the future writing of this TL.

The first is the usage of historical characters and OC's in the future of this writing. On the site there's this divide between writers where people will either have everyone born after the POD be killed off and new individuals to take their place, or keep on using historical people to fill new roles despite the swarm of butterflies and the amount of time between the POD and their appearance. Personally I'm all in favor of the latter as I'm more invested in the fate of people I already know about and seeing as how they change in ideology, personality, and history due to the effect's of the POD. However as I'm writing forward I realize that I may not be able to keep them in power or find a reasonable excuse as for why they would still exist. This is mainly because of how immensely some nations will change in the future with the top 3 being Great Britain, China, India, Germany, and Russia; all of which will barely have histories that are the same as OTL and will have either bloody conflicts which kill millions or great political revolutions which kill of ideologies which would've succeeded in OTL and put new people in charge. So in the future I'm going to start adding OC's and stray away from the placement of prominent historical politicians in their OTL positions of power. There will still be many people who do follow similar paths, but these will mostly be in the United States and in Texas; especially Texas as I want to show how prominent Texans will shine in an independent Texas. Of all the characters I've mentioned up til this point that will appear in the future, they are all still canon with the exception of Texan Chiang Kai-Shek, who I will replace with a Texanized Wang Jingwei.

The second announcement is the future of the Democratic Party in the United States. Originally I was planning for them to veer in a more Populist direction, culminating in its modern state with both Jenning and Long, however with what I'm planning in the future I don't know if the Democrats will still be relevant and stay in power for them to actually reform in these directions. I have been taking Texas History classes this semester, and I've just finished the Reconstruction and Gilded Age eras in United States history. Comparing the sociological trends here and how the United States is after the Civil War ITTL, opposition to the Republican Party may shift in new directions to the rise of a Populist Party as the main secondary party instead of the Democratic Party. So my plan for the near future is either to have the Democrats enter into a schism with a temporary three or fourth party system until reorganization, or for them to just gradually change as time goes on and the Progressive Era begins. I'll come up with a final decision for the story direction in the next month or so. What do you guys think as a possible future of American politics in this alternate Gilded Era?

Also guys I must once again apologize incredibly for the lack of updates. The main reason is due to college with this semester being slightly more difficult than the last one and me having to spend more time on preparing papers and tests than updates. School must always be a priority so I must put this on the side. Also with what free time I've had, I've started to spend it more on Gihren's Glory with how much attention it had with the story growing incredibly in popularity. I haven't at all forgotten this story or you guys, but for the next month at least I must keep it on hold. After the first week of May I'll be done with my finals and once that happens I'll try to pump out as much as I can to make up for the lost time. The only guaranteed update I can promise is the Paraguay War which will be posted today. After that is maybe a post on the third Seguin administration. On the bright side with my Texas History class I now know a HUGE amount of Texan history than I did before the start of the year so I will be able to go into unexplored ares or go into greater depth than I could last year.

Thanks guys for sticking around so long, it means the world to me. Long live the Republic!

Looking forward to it.

I usually have no problem when a timeline uses a ‘butterfly net’, when some people or events happen despite the changes, but it doesn’t technically make sense.

As for the change in the Democratic Party I have no issue with it. The fact that it didn’t collapse after the civil war is a miracle unto itself. Makes sense it would break with a Republican domination, only to eventually end in Populist ‘victory’ for Jennings and Long.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you.

I trust your artistic discretion. Too date the only point I have been wary on is Japan following the same path as OTL with all the butterflies, and that is no deal breaker. Well Canada too but that's just a personal preference I admit.

I look forward to the Paraguay update and wish you luck with your studies. "Long live the Republic!"

Redcoat

Banned
I woke up feeling inspired this morning, so I decided to try and make a map of Europe post the Austrian partition.

View attachment 378054

For my first attempt at map making, I think it went well. I'm not entirely happy with Hungary's borders and Alsace Lorraine.
Made my own attempt on a standard MBAM.

Though I'm not happy with Hungary's borders.

upload_2018-4-7_17-57-39.png

As I like to say in regards to people: the POD may guarantee they're not the same person; but it doesn't erase the name itself from existing.

Take your use of Huey Long for example.

He could just be some ran to named Huey Richards who changed his last name to Long at the start of h8s career to show that he'll be here for a Long time.

Made my own attempt on a standard MBAM.

Though I'm not happy with Hungary's borders.

Why are Russia's gains depicted in a different color from Russia proper.

Also I am wondering if Hungary will be interested in Bosnia. There is still a Croatian population there yes? Though they might decide they have enough nonHungarians in their borders? Serbia has been quiet in this TL so far, perhaps they will be allies for Hungarians?

And there is Montenegro, the often overlooked.

Good looking map! The only nit picks I have is that the division of Bukovina is somewhat off, and Limburg should go to Germany, otherwise it looks great.

Redcoat

Banned
Good looking map! The only nit picks I have is that the division of Bukovina is somewhat off, and Limburg should go to Germany, otherwise it looks great.
I know full well about the first, that's part of what I was unhappy with.

Just me or does this TL wank Germany a little bit?

Oh yeah and I've a new username now.