Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

(a) I'm Welsh, old chap, not English.
(b) You didn't have to keep it that way - you've had over two centuries to change the borders around. Besides, you colonials didn't like the way we arranged things, so we had to take the Dominion of New England apart again.

1) That's what I get for going with English-New England to roll off the tongue, so apologies. XP
2) You can always blame the Stuarts for that one, which somehow seems to work out and still actually have a point anyway. :D

(b) You didn't have to keep it that way - you've had over two centuries to change the borders around. Besides, you colonials didn't like the way we arranged things, so we had to take the Dominion of New England apart again.
Nope, we had to respect the sovereignty of our constiuents. Re-arranging the state borders would have been more like enlarging different members of the EU.

Or, like France rearranging its provinces into departments, or the UK reorganising its counties...
No, it isn't, because French departments and English counties are equivalent to American counties, which get re-organized all the time. The States are sovereign bodies unto themselves, or at least that's the idea.

No, it isn't, because French departments and English counties are equivalent to American counties, which get re-organized all the time. The States are sovereign bodies unto themselves, or at least that's the idea.

They are first-level subdivisions. It's the Americans' own fault that they made it so difficult to rearrange them. :winkytongue:

Actually, the English counties are the same level as the US states - the districts are the same level as the counties.

They are first-level subdivisions. It's the Americans' own fault that they made it so difficult to rearrange them. :winkytongue:

Actually, the English counties are the same level as the US states - the districts are the same level as the counties.
But are English counties intended to be sovereign? The American states aren't supposed to be just general subdivisions; they're supposed to be sovereign states, hence the name.

But are English counties intended to be sovereign?

No.

The American states aren't supposed to be just general subdivisions; they're supposed to be sovereign states, hence the name.

Then the United States shouldn't exist at all, and each of the states should be independent countries.

But they aren't - the United States is sovereign, and the states are its first-level subdivisions.

But are English counties intended to be sovereign? The American states aren't supposed to be just general subdivisions; they're supposed to be sovereign states, hence the name.

Perhaps a better analogy would be the English-Welsh and English-Scottish borders, in which case see...

Monmouth/Gwent
Flintshire (formerly the western part of Cheshire)
Berwick upon Tweed

There aren't any constituent members for the UK in the same way that there are constituent states for the US. The four nations are historical/cultural entities.
So were the 13 original colonies, and some of the further ones, and those ones (that have a historical/cultural backing) are really the only ones that are oversized/undersized - hence why most of the Western states are roughly equal-sized squares.

And you’re still British, no?
I am a citizen of Indiana and of America.

However, not of Ohio.

I am a citizen of the United Kingdom. I am resident in Wales, which is part of the United Kingdom. I culturally identify as Welsh and British.

You are a citizen of the United States of America. You are (I assume) resident in the state of Indiana, and therefore strongly identify with that state. Which is fine.

However, to me that's like someone declaring themselves to be from Yorkshire or Pembrokeshire. Or a German declaring themselves to be from Bavaria, or Schleswig-Holstein. It doesn't sound like someone declaring themselves to be from Belgium, or Lithuania, or Portugal.

Granted, I don't live in a country the size of a continent.

I am a citizen of the United Kingdom. I am resident in Wales, which is part of the United Kingdom. I culturally identify as Welsh and British.

You are a citizen of the United States of America. You are (I assume) resident in the state of Indiana, and therefore strongly identify with that state. Which is fine.

However, to me that's like someone declaring themselves to be from Yorkshire or Pembrokeshire. Or a German declaring themselves to be from Bavaria, or Schleswig-Holstein. It doesn't sound like someone declaring themselves to be from Belgium, or Lithuania, or Portugal.

I can respect that, why do I always meet the Welsh members here :p

I am a resident of Indiana, and I do tend to identify as Hoosier first and American second

The thing is, people in Germany do identify with their states quite often, however some more than often.

This had been a fun discussion actually. Bit eye opening

This results from a fundamental misunderstanding of the American ideal that is in part pushed by a lot of Americans who don't get that the states aren't meant to just be administrative districts.

The American states are sovereign, culturally bodies that have entered into confederation together, where they pull their sovereignty.

And a Welshman is still a Briton.

I didn't claim otherwise. People are perfectly within their rights to identify with a particular section of their home country as with the country as a whole, for any reason.

This results from a fundamental misunderstanding of the American ideal that is in part pushed by a lot of Americans who don't get that the states aren't meant to just be administrative districts.

The American states are sovereign, culturally bodies that have entered into confederation together, where they pull their sovereignty.

The United States is a federation, not a confederation. It stopped being a confederation with the ratification of the US Constitution, which replaced the Articles of Confederation.

An American is a citizen of the USA. They are resident in a particular state.

Last edited: