I would guess that just "Great Britain" or possibly "British Republic" would be the most likely names for such a state (although "British Commonwealth" is a possibility, unless the various Realms Beyond the Sea have already created such an institution ... and possibly even if they have); given that Great Britain and the United States do not seem especially friendly in the FATHERLAND timeline it seems unlikely GB would adopt the name "United States" in any form.

Though having said that "United States of Britain" is a name perhaps worthy of an Alternate History in its own right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Britain_Bill

^^A potentially useful guideline to the structure of a Republican Britain.^^

To clarify the only thing that changed on Jan 1st 1971 was that the Monarch left and was replaced by a interim HOS then by a President in May.
The actual constitutional make up of the United Kingdom was unchanged (The House of Lords was kept), and the continued arrangements in NI, Wales and Scotland.
I didn't think such a change would need a change in the name, but hey....

Last edited:

Deleted member 2186

To clarify the only thing that changed on Jan 1st 1971 was that the Monarch left and was replaced by a interim HOS then by a President in May.
The actual constitutional make up of the United Kingdom was unchanged (The House of Lords was kept), and the continued arrangements in NI, Wales and Scotland.
Well change it to United Republic of Britain then.

You can't have a kingdom without a monarch, my dear fellow! (although Hungary gave it the old college try during WWII at least, although the Head of State was referred to as a "Regent" rather than a President). In all fairness it does make perfect sense to refer to Great Britain as such even in the absence of a Monarch (in the same way Canada is referred to by name rather than "something something Canada"), although "United Kingdom of" could be quietly dispensed with even in the presence of a House of Lords.

Deleted member 2186

Very angry with myself for not finding this TL earlier. ALWAYS wanted a worldbuilding TL on Fatherland. Still on the second page, but happy that some things I imagined like MacArthur becoming president were also present here.
Have tried to world build it but with some slight difference, like the UK not being a Nazi-puppet.

Deleted member 92121

Just finished reading. Reeeeeeeeeally angry with myself for not finding it sooner.

candadtie and future President George Wallace in 1976, in a wheel chair due to a car crash. He was controversial president, primarying President Glenn for his failure in south Africa and his liberal social policies. He won and went on to serve two terms, in which he pushed Health care, defense budget increases, universal health care and attacks on the new liberal "new york pinheads"

I believe it's been stated that Kennedy served until 1976 and then Jon Glenn succeeded him for one terms.

Anyway:

Republican Presidential Nominee and Vice President John W. Bricker with his running mate Richard Nixon on the Campaign trail in 1956. Bricker would go on to defeat democrat Lyndon Johnson in a close election.​

upload_2018-4-19_17-22-56.png

Deleted member 92121

A elderly Marshall De Gaulle in January 1964, still titled "Leader of Free France" on his office in French Guiana. The Governement-in-Exile gradually lost support of the international community throughout the 1950's, culminating in President Kennedy coming to blows with the French statemen in 1962. The Marshal's continuous refusal to call for elections and to supply non-french colonial with the same rights as the french exiles has not helped.

Charles-De-Gaulle-photo.jpg

The 1956 Democratic Presidential convention saw Texas Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson win the nomination from the floor defeating Adlai Stevenson, Estes Kefauver, and Hubert Humphrey for the nomination. Johnson chose Humphrey as his running-mate despite them both being sitting Senators.
Here is Johnson accepting the nomination.

The Texas delegation celebrating Johnson's nomination.

A Johnson campaign badge

1956 Presidential Election
Macarthur decided not to seek a third term as he could as he was not bound the terms of the 22nd amendment. His Vice-President John Bricker was choosen as the Republican nominee and he choose California Senator Richard Nixon as his running mate.
The Democrats saw Texas Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson win the nomination from the floor defeating Adlai Stevenson, Estes Kefauver, and Hubert Humphrey for the nomination. Johnson chose Humphrey as his running-mate despite them both being sitting Senators.
The election had three sitting Senators running for national office (Nixon, Johnson & Humphrey) along with Bricker who had also been a Senator.
The election turned out to be one of the closest in American history, with Bricker winning by 268 electoral votes to Johnson's 263, and Bricker carried the popular vote by just 0.20%.
genusmap.php

Bricker & Nixon 268 electoral Votes
Johnson & Humphrey 263 electoral votes
*266 electoral votes required to win
Notes

This election was worked out using a combination of the real 1956 & 1960 figures. The electoral map is very close to that of the real 1960 election, although not a replica of it.

Last edited:
The now famous picture of Lyndon Johnson watching his defeat in the 1956 Presidential Election being announced on TV from his hotel room in Austin.

I know that this thread hasn't been responded to in a while, but I made a map. This is a map of the world of Fatherland in 1964.

I'm currently working on a map of this world in 2019, and I hope to post it soon.

View attachment 682543

Last edited:
I had lots of things I wanted to do with this thread and the story through pictures, but with my other commitments on this board, I didn't have time to finish it.
Strange thing I am re-reading the book once again at the moment.

This pic is unusual, a Mr. and Mrs. Xavi at a costume party in more cheerful times, I'm presuming it's from the 1950s,

blade-runner-3jpg.jpeg

Here is some rare candid footage from a get-together after a German-British naval exercise. Apparently they decided to go outside for an impromptu poetry challenge. Some fool typed in 1982, so I'm guessing it's a typo from 1952. I don't know about any base or other facility named Blade Runner but I'm no expert.

I'm guessing this guy won the contest. One of those thoughtful Germans, nice to see they're still around...

Last edited:
Also i would assume that Canada has taken over governance of places like the Falklands and former British Caribbean holdings, plus as mention in the book Australia and New Zeeland recognize Princes Elizabeth as they only head of the Commonwealth.

I just realized how this TL puts an extra degree of interest in Argentine-Anglo positioning about those Falkland Islands.