US Township-BAM

Md, I'm sorry your state is so diseased. But is there a metropolitan area that isn't a confusing mess of municipalities?
As for Texas, while it doesn't literally have townships, I suppose its map wouldn't look much different from a township map, because so many counties are so small and so many towns are so big.

Note to everyone who posted here this week: this project never actually got started, and the maps posted here were created by other people and dumped here after some minor touches.

VT45

Banned
Md, I'm sorry your state is so diseased. But is there a metropolitan area that isn't a confusing mess of municipalities?
As for Texas, while it doesn't literally have townships, I suppose its map wouldn't look much different from a township map, because so many counties are so small and so many towns are so big.

Boston's suburbs aren't too bad.

ST15RM

Banned
Note to everyone who posted here this week: this project never actually got started, and the maps posted here were created by other people and dumped here after some minor touches.
Well, when will be getting started? I'm very willing to do this.

This map has been like dead for a while... is this project dead?
It was, but I recently returned to this and polished up my northeastern map.

QtkZHFN.png
Still a lot of work to do in Northern New York and New England. At this point I'll leave fixing Pennsylvania to whoever intends to use this map first.

Edit: Most of the map has now been taken care of, except for central and southern PA.

Last edited:

ST15RM

Banned
It was, but I recently returned to this and polished up my northeastern map.

QtkZHFN.png

Still a lot of work to do in Northern New York and New England. At this point I'll leave fixing Pennsylvania to whoever intends to use this map first.

Edit: Most of the map has now been taken care of, except for central and southern PA.
Yahoo!! The Township BAM is back!!

KYG1aP4.png

Here's a new version, with cleaner PA borders and insets copied from @Chicxulub's county-BAM (which is at its original scale- this map is huge) at the top.

Last edited:
FINAL VERSION BELOW:

YKM28gi.png

And, along with it, a WIP of the 2016 presidential election results.

yQXF1Wi.png

Md139115

Banned
The colors for the parties are flipped, which caused me to nearly choke on my tongue when I thought that Trump overwhelmingly won Manhattan.

Md139115

Banned
Incidentally, I am noticing that the towns in New Jersey that went for Clinton are almost all along I-95 and the Atlantic City Expressway. That’s really fascinating to me.

So many squares...

You Americans live in squares. You are square people, with square minds, who live square lives.

Squares.

So many squares...

You Americans live in squares. You are square people, with square minds, who live square lives.

Squares.
Most of the squarish regions are sparsely populated, with the exception of Western New York, where most of the village and town centers happen to neatly fall near the middle of the squares.

In the midwest, the square townships get way worse but have either been abandoned or are being phased out as the seat of municipal government in favor of county or consolidated municipal governments.

Redcoat

Banned
We actually have a formal term for our disease in New Jersey, it is called "boroughitis"
It's symptoms are hair loss, stress and anxiety (from dealing with the hundreds of political peons) and bad eyesight, from trying to stare at maps like these and figure out what town is what.
Well why don't they try to consolidate?

Md139115

Banned
Well why don't they try to consolidate?

You must first understand the problem:

Boroughitis began at the beginning of the last century when wealthier parts of towns began seceding and creating their own school districts in order to avoid “subsidizing” the rest of the town and their districts. Generally, these enclaves are either still wealthier than their surrounding towns, or the roles have been reversed and the larger town doesn’t want to annex a poorer community. Of course it would be easier and cheaper overall to share services rather than operating separate town councils/police departments/fire departments/school districts, but someone will be paying more in their taxes than they are now. Hence the political opposition.

Governor Christie did attempt to force some consolidation, but he pretty much was beholden to the same political bosses/forces that the rest of the state is held to, so nothing really came of it. I suspect Governor Murphy wants to tackle it too, but I doubt he will.

FINAL VERSION BELOW:

This is amazing and bless you for doing it. Do you happen to have a link or just a basic run down of how you made this for anyone who might want to do it for other states on their own time so we don't have to bother you? :)