A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

VVD0D95

Banned
Like the update a few thoughts to a potential agreement.

1: Gottorp get the County of Oldenburg which are raised to duchy status plus a large lump sum (even the enclaves are more valuable than Oldenburg)

As a altenative

2: Gottorp get the County of Oldenburg, keep Gottorpian Dithmarschen and get Danish Dithmarschen. Their domain are named the Duchy of Oldenburg-Dithmarschen. The Danish state pays nothing.

The benefit with agreement number 2 are these. The Gottorp control over Dithmarchen and Oldenburg strenghten the Swedish hold over Bremen-Verden, it keep Denmark from completely control over the access to the Elbe River. This would keep the Swedes and north German states happy. As for Denmark they gain control over the more valuable parts of Holstein and get rid of any threat to their control over Schleswig-Holstein.

Aye, I think option two is likely to be struck, with how I view Leopold and Christian V. With England playing the mediator between all parties, that's going to increase their influence and make Louis shit himself. Likely, Denmark will be moving things about in Schleswig when the war truly kicks off.

Aye, I think option two is likely to be struck, with how I view Leopold and Christian V. With England playing the mediator between all parties, that's going to increase their influence and make Louis shit himself. Likely, Denmark will be moving things about in Schleswig when the war truly kicks off.

I think such a agreement have a lot of potential everyone. The Swedes will be happy that their position in Bremen-Verden have been improved, but they will need more than ever to keep on good foot with the Gottorps. The Gottorp have gotten rid of the Danish threat to their domain, and they no longer need to suck up the Swedes, the Swedes instead need them much more now, also the Gottorp Oldenburg relationship have suddenly become far more positive, and if Sweden doesn't keep on good foot with them, Gottorp can now change alliance to Denmark. The north German states avoid a Danish or Swedish control over the Elbe.

VVD0D95

Banned
I think such a agreement have a lot of potential everyone. The Swedes will be happy that their position in Bremen-Verden have been improved, but they will need more than ever to keep on good foot with the Gottorps. The Gottorp have gotten rid of the Danish threat to their domain, and they no longer need to suck up the Swedes, the Swedes instead need them much more now, also the Gottorp Oldenburg relationship have suddenly become far more positive, and if Sweden doesn't keep on good foot with them, Gottorp can now change alliance to Denmark. The north German states avoid a Danish or Swedish control over the Elbe.
This is very true. Which does make a marriage between Sweden and Gottorp much more like
Y now

Chapter 9: Leopold

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 9: Leopold

Winter had descended on Vienna, cloaking the ground in snow. That meant manoeuvres of the army could not be carried out and therefore the military kept itself occupied with other activities. Leopold had often found such things fascinating, having wanted to know what was happening right down to the last detail. As such he had summoned the Margrave of Baden-Baden to discuss the status of the army. With the way things were progressing against the Turk, Leopold felt confident that things would improve drastically. As if God himself were on their side, and why would he not be? They were carrying out his work after all.

The audience chamber was big, not as big as the one at Hofburg, but big enough. Leopold looked at the Margrave and asked. “We have defeated the Turk at Mohacs, and we have ensured that they do not have a chance to re-enter Hungary, with the fortifications we have built and secured. Now tell us, what more needs to be done to drive them completely out of our domains?” Leopold wanted to take all of Transylvania, and if possible Wallachia and Moldavia, so far he knew that the people of Transylvania had responded positively, but that some were trying to join that heretic Mehmed.

Baden, was a serious man, reflected in his bearing and his words. “Sire, I would argue that for the time being with winter being as it is now, we should focus on ensuring that the garrisons within Hungary have proper rest and food, to keep them going. The winters in Hungary, as I am sure you know can be quite hard, and with the populous newly freed from Turkic rule, they might not know how best to respond to the men’s presence there.” Leopold nodded, that was common sense. “However, once the winter is over, I would suggest that the army move southward to ensure that the Serbs and the people of Transylvania see that we are serious about liberating them.”

“In what number? Forty thousand, thirty thousand?” Leopold asked, he was concerned about raising the money needed to provide for this, there was a volunteer corps from England that had come, commanded by the Queen’s bastard brother, but other than that, all the men were coming from the German lands, and they would demand payment.

“I would, if I could Sire, recommend forty thousand. But if finances are an issue, then perhaps twenty-five thousand, under the command of Maximillian Emmanuel, whilst the main body continues down the route into Wallachia proper, under my command or that of Charles of Lorraine.” Baden answered.

Leopold nodded. “I see, the snows will clear by March at the earliest, I do not wish for the heretics to get the advantage therefore, you shall be prepared to march from the moment the snows melt, is that understood?”

“Yes, Sire.” Baden answered.

“Good.” Leopold replied, he then turned to Rudolf von Metternich, his chief spy master and asked him. “What word has there been from the court of Constantinople?” For a court filled with intrigue and betrayal, the heretics were surprisingly lax about rooting out spies from within their own ranks. Leopold knew they had some twelve spies in Constantinople, within the palace and the city itself.

“Mehmed has had his two brothers killed, and has now started looking for a bride for his eldest son. It seems that the military are abiding by his rule for now, he has appointed a man who has more instinct for war than previous Grand Viziers, and the man is instituting some reforms to their military. However, there are concerns arising that the Persians could be invading Ottoman territory.” Rudolf answered.

Leopold sighed, he disliked the Persians almost as much as he disliked the Turks, but they were a better ally to have, and they caused the Turks issues, so they would suite. “Very well.” He then read through a letter sent to him by William of Orange, the man spoke in such an audacious manner that he sought not to consider it for now, instead he simply said to Baden. “Ensure that the men on the northern frontier are prepared for war. Louis of France will be making manoeuvres at some point or the other.” Baden nodded. Leopold then picked up another letter, and read through it. He put it down and spoke. “After spending more time interested in the Dutch and defeating them, the English have now decided that they wish to get involved in the politics of the Empire. This Queen, has written to me suggesting ways in which we can get the Danish onside against the French.” He handed the letter to his chief advisor Franz Arnolf and waited as the man read through it. Bringing the Danish onside would have its advantages and deprive the French of another ally, but did he really want to make this compromise this woman suggested? “Well?” He demanded once Arnolf had finished reading the letter. “Is there anything to it?”

Arnolf was an old man, who had served Leopold’s father, and even his grandfather before that. He spoke slowly and with much consideration. “I believe, Sire, that these terms that the Queen of England mentions would be reasonable to the Danish and the Duke of Gottorp. I believe they would be willing.”

Leopold was himself not so sure, but the thought of the Danish fleet bringing the French to their knees was a humorous one and so he said. “Very well, send a letter to both courts, and tell them to come to Vienna, we shall sort this matter before the year is over.” If he could do this then the French would think twice before moving to war.

Chapter 10: Christian Albert

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 10: Christian Albert

Christian, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, commander of imperial armies, and well-rounded politician, at least in his own view, looked around the audience chamber of Schönbrunn Palace, the home of the House of Habsburg and the Emperor himself. It was big, with tapestries depicting scenes from the Bible, great battles the Emperor had fought in and other things. The Emperor himself was small, but had long enough hair to cover that fact. Christian knew what the man was doing, he was trying to keep Christian neutral in the upcoming war with France, and ensure that a territorial dispute between him and Denmark ended. He knew what the terms were and he was willing to agree, for a price.

The Emperor spoke in fluent German without the lisp Christian had been told the man had. “We are here to discuss the agreement of distribution of lands between your two families. To ensure that the conflict which has raged for centuries comes to an end. We know that there are grievances and we wish to hear them, but first, let us discuss the most basic facts of the matter.” The Emperor looked toward a man with a moustache and a slight belly, who Christian knew to be Count Rostov.

Rostov spoke. “In agreement before God, His Imperial and Serene Majesty, Leopold, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire does on this day dictate that from this day forward, there shall be peace between the Kings of Denmark and the Dukes of Holstein-Gottorp. Is this in agreement with the parties?”

“Yes.” They both answered, Christian noting the slight sneer on his cousin’s face.

The Count continued. “Subject to suggestion from His Royal Highness, George, Duke of Cumberland, and subject to the agreement of His Majesty King Christian of Denmark and His Highness Christian Albert, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, the land which is discussed is that of Holstein-Gottorp and Schleswig-Gottorp, belonging in accordance with law and right, to the King of Denmark, from which all subsequent branches do descend. In agreement with His Highness the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, an agreement has been reached whereby the Duke and his descendants shall renounce all and any claim to the duchies in return for keeping Gottorpian Dithmarschen and receiving Danish Dithmarschen and the Countship of Oldenburg, which per the Imperial decree, shall be raised to a Duchy.”

The count finished speaking and rolled up the paper. The Emperor looked at them, first at the King and then at Christian. “Are these terms acceptable to you gentlemen?”

The King spoke first, as Christian knew he would. “Will we have to pay our cousin any amount in compensation for the lands he has lost?”

“No.” the Emperor replied. He shall have sufficient funds from the new lands to compensate him for any lands lost.

“Then we consent and will give the order for our men to move from Oldenburg into our new lands within the day.” The King said.

“And you?” The Emperor asked Christian.

Christian thought it through, he did not want to move, he was happy where he was, but he knew that if he refused now the Emperor would harm him and his family later. Besides there was better chance to moving from Sweden and toward others in Oldenburg that there was not if they remained where they were. Therefore, he said. “I consent.”

The Emperor clapped his hands together and said. “Well then, let us make this official.” Christian and the King got down on one knee and swore the same oath.

“We promise, so long as we live to hold the peace, to protect the liberties of our people, and to defend the religions of Christ as long as we both shall breathe, before the Imperial Majesty we do swear. May God strike us down should we be unfaithful or liars.” They kissed the ring of the Emperor one after the other then rose.

The Emperor smiled. “Well, that is quite enough of that. Come, there are more important things to do. To the great hall.” They walked out of the audience chamber, neither man saying anything, though the Emperor seemed happy enough.

They entered the great hall, where plates upon plates of food were served to them. Christian ate, all the while wondering if this was appropriate what with the Turks knocking on the door still. Yet his cousin ate, and so he too ate, he didn’t want the Dane getting any ideas after all.

VVD0D95

Banned
And so, 1687 ends. Next we shall see war properly start on all fronts.

How are people finding the timeline so far?

I am enjoying it a great deal. It isn't really a period that I have dug into a great deal, but is on my to-do list and this is fascinating and informative :)

VVD0D95

Banned
So, I’m revisiting the topic of marriages, in light of this new treaty, I think it’s safe to say that Hedvig Sophia will be marrying Frederick of Holstein Gottorp, what of Charles and Ulrika? Will they marry danish princess and prince? Or will Charles marry Sophia hedvig or someone else?

A few general thoughts I lioke the update, but just for future reference:

These kind of negotiation's would happen in Regensburg where the imperial diet was placed.
Also the duke and king would be unlikely to travel to it, instead they would send representants.

So, I’m revisiting the topic of marriages, in light of this new treaty, I think it’s safe to say that Hedvig Sophia will be marrying Frederick of Holstein Gottorp, what of Charles and Ulrika? Will they marry danish princess and prince? Or will Charles marry Sophia hedvig or someone else?

I think Hedvig Sophia and Frederick still makes sense.
Sophie Hedwig (of Denmark) on the other hand was both engage to the John George IV of Saxony (who broke the engagement for personal reasons in 1691), next she was engaged to the emperor Joseph I, the engagement was broken because they couldn't agree over religious matters, but here's Sophie Hedwig a even better catch and Denmark are on better term, so I think some kind of agreement could be reached (like Joseph I finding a Jansenist court priest to her). It could be pretty interesting if she produce a son to Joseph I and he still dies at the same time.
As for Ulrika I think the Swedes would seek to marry to James foremost and a Danish prince second.
Sweden will likely also seek a English alliance for Charles, with Sophie Hedwig as second choice if she doesn't marry the emperor.
Crown Prince Frederick could also be engage to a English princess. His OTL marriage depended on his brother dying the moment he did. Also marrying him to someone else also avoid a lot of problem which the heirs he produce gave (his son Christian VI was intelligent, but a arch-reactionary religious fundamentalist).

The benefit of these alliance for England, are that they ensure in case James dying, the nearest heirs are powerful Protestant dynasties.

VVD0D95

Banned
A few general thoughts I lioke the update, but just for future reference:

These kind of negotiation's would happen in Regensburg where the imperial diet was placed.
Also the duke and king would be unlikely to travel to it, instead they would send representants.

I think Hedvig Sophia and Frederick still makes sense.
Sophie Hedwig (of Denmark) on the other hand was both engage to the John George IV of Saxony (who broke the engagement for personal reasons in 1691), next she was engaged to the emperor Joseph I, the engagement was broken because they couldn't agree over religious matters, but here's Sophie Hedwig a even better catch and Denmark are on better term, so I think some kind of agreement could be reached (like Joseph I finding a Jansenist court priest to her). It could be pretty interesting if she produce a son to Joseph I and he still dies at the same time.
As for Ulrika I think the Swedes would seek to marry to James foremost and a Danish prince second.
Sweden will likely also seek a English alliance for Charles, with Sophie Hedwig as second choice if she doesn't marry the emperor.
Crown Prince Frederick could also be engage to a English princess. His OTL marriage depended on his brother dying the moment he did. Also marrying him to someone else also avoid a lot of problem which the heirs he produce gave (his son Christian VI was intelligent, but a arch-reactionary religious fundamentalist).

The benefit of these alliance for England, are that they ensure in case James dying, the nearest heirs are powerful Protestant dynasties.
Right you are on the meeting will keep that in mind for the future.

And interesting, Sophia hedvig to Joseph would need a lot to change for that marriage I think, which would be fascinating

Chapter 11: Shrewsbury

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 11: Shrewsbury

Charles Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury and Secretary of State for the Northern Department was sat on the front bench, next to the Earl of Sunderland, the Baron Dartmouth and Sidney Godolphin First Lord of the Treasury. Parliament was in session, after the winter break, and the mood was placid. With the treaty that had been signed between Denmark and Holstein-Gottorp, things seemed relatively peaceful, though there were of course fears that there might be war on the continent with Louis of France threatening again. Charles stood up when gestured to do so by the Lord Chamberlain, the Earl Mulgrave.

Charles stood straight and then said. “My lords, it is my pleasure to announce that with the successful signing of the Treaty of Vienna between the King of Denmark and the now Duke of Oldenburg, we have successfully prevented the Duke of Oldenburg from siding with the French in any future war, and have also ensure that the King of Denmark is our ally from this time to the eternity.” That was the Duke of Cumberland who was sat behind him some way away had said, and as the man knew his brother the best out of all of them Charles was inclined to agree. “With this in mind, we can be sure that trade between our two countries shall now prosper without the unnecessary burdens that previously prohibited free goods to cross our shores.” Charles was sure this would be a benefit for the crown and the country, and perhaps enable the development of the navy. He sat down, and watched as his opposite number, Henry Capell representing his nephew the Earl of Essex in the Lords, stood up.

“We recognise that this treaty will do much good for the country in terms of trade and prosperity. Something that will of course benefit the common man, as it rightly should.” Capell said, to cheers from his side. Shrewsbury had to hide a smile behind his hand, Capell was one of the most fanatical royalists that Shrewsbury had ever met. Why the Queen had not named him to a position in the government he did not know. “However, what we must wonder is whether this treaty, being negotiated by Her Majesty’s government will now mean we are required to get involved in disputes within the Holy Roman Empire, and whether this means we now must play arbiter at all of Denmark’s disputes.” There were murmurs of approval from Capell’s side of the fence. Shrewsbury had expected as much, after all Capell and Shaftesbury in particular did not want to get involved with Denmark for they feared some indirect tie to France.

Shrewsbury stood up. “My lord need not fear any such thing. The treaty was made between two sovereign states, or rather a sovereign state and a cousin of said sovereign state. There was no implication within the treaty that England need get involved in any other dispute that Denmark gets involved in, unless England is already involved in said dispute for whatever reason.” He sat down again.

Capell stood up once more. “Very well.” He sat down, and then the Earl of Shaftesbury who was very much an ardent country member and perhaps the Earl of Devonshire’s prodigy spoke.

“This treaty is said to bring benefit and that is all well and good. What, I wish to know, and what I am sure this whole house wishes to know is, what will the honourable lord, do about the state of the farming tools that our farmers have?”

Shrewsbury would have laughed at that. Shaftesbury with his estates centred around towns wouldn’t need farmers to be protected, he’d need them exploited. Of course, pointing that out now would likely not go down to well, so instead, Shrewsbury replied. “My lord has a valid concern. The farming tools are being assessed and looked at as we speak through the Committee of Means, a report shall be put out within the week discussing the best way to improve conditioning and substance.”

Shaftesbury said nothing, and Shrewsbury knew that he had shut him up on that point. Then the man did exactly as Shrewsbury thought he would. “And what of the Occasional Conformity Bill?”

There was some murmuring on the opposite benches, and Shrewsbury could have sworn he saw Devonshire moving with a sly grin on his face. Shrewsbury ignored him and replied. “The bill will soon be brought back to the house with amendments that Her Majesty has suggested. There are some things within it that Her Majesty does not think suits the current climate.”

“I look forward to seeing what amendments Her Majesty suggests we bring to this bill.” Shaftesbury said.

As they both sat down, Dartmouth leaned in and said to him. “Well played, my lord. Her Majesty will be keeping an eye on things from now on.” Shrewsbury nodded, internally though he was laughing, if that meant Sunderland was on his way out perhaps things would be good from here on in.

Chapter 12: Sun King

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 12: Sun King

There were times when Louis wondered if perhaps he were being too extravagant, wanting too much and taking too much and giving too little. There were times when he assessed the finances of his realm and cursed himself and his ambition. Then there were times where he applauded himself and decided he was doing a very smart thing. And right now with the eyes of Europe looking at the Turks and their declining threat, he knew that what he had planned was the smartest course of action. France needed to be secure, she could not rest easy until everything had been secured on the north east and the eastern frontiers. Louis looked down at the map and then spoke.

“Tell us of the war, and of our son.” For the Dauphin foolish though he was seemed to have some military brains and was commanding this expedition.

Lovouis his Minister for War spoke then. “Sire, the investment of Phillipsburg was a success. The city surrendered at dawn four days ago, since then there has been a concentrated effort to secure the city properly should others try and infringe upon it. Following Your Majesty’s orders, the town of Landau has also been taken successfully. From there we now look for further guidance.”

Louis looked down at the map once more with Phillipsburg his and with Landau also his there was chance to expand further. He did not want to move too closely into the territory of the Empire, he was not a fool, he knew that there were limits to the supply lines. “Mannheim, Stollhofen and Strasbourg must be properly secured as well, that way we shall have a properly secure frontier.”

His brother, Philippe, Duke of Orleans spoke then. “Sire, Mannheim makes sense to take, but Strasbourg and Stollhofen offer nothing other than three more towns that would need to be supplied via the Rhine, and they are three more points that would cause some chaos should the Emperor look to turn his attention Westward.”

Louis looked at his brother, knowing that the man wanted to serve, or rather wanted his son the Duke of Chartres to serve in the field and get some active experience. “What do you suggest then, dearest brother?”

Philippe pointed at the map. “Take Mannheim, the Elector is a fool who will not know to keep things completely secure. The Manifesto you have issued has only been in circulation for three days, they will not have had time to truly know what it is you intend. Once Phillipsburg and Mannheim are secure, send forces further toward Mainz. There is already another force at Luxembourg under Marshal Luxembourg, order him to venture northward toward Trier and Trarbach, secure those towns and then set up shop.”

Louis looked at Lovouis then. “Well, Lovouis? What say you?” He could tell his brother was somewhat angered by the questioning of his suggestion, ever since Cassel his brother had the strange habit of assuming he was the master of all military matters.

Lovouis was clearly hesitant to contradict Philippe but he would not also lie to his King. He paused over the map several times, and then eventually said. “Sire, I believe, Monsieur is correct in his estimations. The needs that you have stated need to be met immediately, with prompt action. In order to ensure that that happens, the course that Monsieur suggest is the right one.”

“You are certain?” Louis asked, he did not want to give an order only for it to come back and bite him.

“I am positive, Sire.” Lovouis responded.

Louis nodded. “Very well, give the orders. We wish for these orders to be carried out with the greatest of haste, before the Emperor and his minions return from fighting the Turk.” The reports coming from that end were not encouraging in one way, the Turk was slowly being pushed out and their weaknesses were being greatly exposed. Hungary was completely under the control of the Habsburgs now, half of Serbia also rested under Habsburg control. Not for the first time, Louis wondered at the benefit of having an alliance with the heretics. He wondered if God would punish his soul for that. He dismissed that concern for now and said. “Council dismissed.” The men walked out, leaving him staring at the map. He would see France strengthened even if it killed him.

Chapter 13: Anne's Cabinet

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 13: Anne’s Cabinet

Whitehall was a towering palace, filled with countless rooms and halls, when she had been a child, and then newly married her uncle had given her and George a new set of rooms within a tower that could hold three hundred people. It was known as the Cock Pit. And though Anne kept some of her things there, she had always known it was not fit place for a Queen. She now resided within the central wing of the Palace, not in her father’s rooms though for that was one bridge too far. She resided in what was known as the Queen’s rooms for it was where Her grandmother had once resided. Now though she was sat in the cabinet room, seated on a throne, her husband to her right, and the Lord Chamberlain to her left. The others were gathered as appropriate to their rank.

Anne looked at the letters before her and then said. “We have received word from our cousin of Orange. It appears that Louis of France has broken yet another treaty and has insisted on taking that which does not belong to him. Philipsburg, Landau, Mannheim and other places have fallen. This is of course a great concern. We would hear our ministers’ thoughts.”

Sunderland as the Secretary of the Southern Department by rights went first. “Your Majesty, I feel that the best course of action is a ground war against King Louis. The man showed during the wars in the reign of your uncle, His Majesty King Charles, that he would not stop unless forced to stop. It is merely a short stop from Trier to Liege and from Liege, the man could march his armies into the Spanish Low Countries.”

Anne nodded, she had thought as much, William was panicking due to the great number of forces that King Louis had amassed, that the man’s son the Dauphin had showed such foresight to invest Mannheim was a surprise. Anne had always been led to believe the man was a dolt. “Do we have enough resources to mount a ground campaign?” She asked, she was well aware that such campaigns could be very expensive. Especially if the French did not give open battle.

Sidney Godolphin, First Lord of the Treasury spoke then. “Your Majesty, I have read through the accounts with my fellow lords, and we have agreed that we have sufficient funds to mount both a land and a naval campaign, provided that they do not extend beyond three years.”

Anne raised an eyebrow that was an oddly specific cut off period, she did not remember her father being told anything similar. “Why three years, my lord?”

Godolphin blushed slightly. “Your Majesty, we have cast a prediction and stated that though Parliament gave Your Majesty a generous grant including Tonnage and Poundage for life, the war in Europe might well grow to be more expensive than we can manage. The hit that our trade would take is something that we cannot allow. Therefore, we urge caution.”

Sunderland spoke then. “You would allow for France to go unchallenged in Europe, and potentially threaten the balance of power, for something more akin to cowardice?”

Godolphin looked deeply offended at that. “Never, my lord. This is simply the reality. Unless the crown develops another means of raising capital, then we shall be stuck within a three-year time period.”

Anne suspected that Godolphin wanted her to raise the matter of a Royal Bank as he had been pressing her to do for some time, however she knew that such a thing would be tied to the issue of the Occasional Conformity Bill and Parliament had not seen fit to agree to her amendments. Therefore, she wished to avoid such a thing. “Our lord Dartmouth, which would you suggest?”

Dartmouth was an experienced naval commander and his brother the Earl of Peterborough had been one of her father and uncle’s most loyal servants. “Your Majesty I believe our best chance to keep the French contained is on the water. We have the dominant position. If we can defeat their ships here and in the new world we can ensure that they will be struggling to ship supplies across. A ground war will be far too expensive in my view.”

“The war will not be won on the sea.” Shrewsbury said then. “We know King Louis does not favour the French Navy, he wants to bring more land, not water to his kingdom. We must put down ground troops.”

Godolphin said nothing then, Anne decided she would speak. “There is no point in sending in ground troops if the French will have the chance to hurt our colonies and our own land. We shall give the order for a ground and land war. Sunderland, your duty is to make sure Parliament acquiesces for the necessary additional funding.” If needed she would bring the idea of a Royal Bank to the fore, and then she would work on it. “Our lord Dartmouth you are in command of the fleet, and shall oversee its preparation.” She thought over who should command the ground troops. Peterborough was experienced, but he was old fashioned, this war would need to be fought differently. “Our lord Churchill shall command the ground troops. We shall draw from all three of our realms.”

There was a murmur of approval, and Churchill who often remained silent during these meetings bowed his head in thanks. Let him prove himself and earn the peerage that Sarah demanded for him. If he failed perhaps then Sarah would come down from her perch. Anne doubted it though.

Chapter 14: Leopold The Emperor

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 14: Leopold The Emperor

Winter was fast setting in. The snows were once more starting to drag themselves through the streets, the cold had set in and there had been a scare when Leopold’s son Charles had suffered a minor cold, thankfully he had gotten passed it. Leopold knew how precarious things were, there were only four male Habsburgs still alive. They could not afford anymore incidents of death. Not for the first time Leopold wondered if they had made the right choice by marrying their Spanish cousins so often. Keeping the family possessions in check made sense, but marrying so often, that was concerning. His wife was still young, there was still time to have another son. He would think about that and talk with her after this meeting.

Leopold stroked his moustache and looked down at the map before him. “So, you are telling me that the Ottomans have been pushed out of Northern Serbia to the point where they now cannot sufficiently take Belgrade without expending energy elsewhere?” Such news if true would delight him, if he could push the Turks completely out of Serbia then they would never re-enter and he would have his glory.

Charles Theodore his chief war minister spoke. “Yes, Your Imperial Majesty. The Turks are running out of support within their own ranks to fight in Serbia. The locals are also making things very difficult for them. And as such I believe that they need only one more push and Belgrade will be completely secure.”

“And does Charles Henri agree with your assessment?” Leopold asked, he knew Lorraine was someone who did not always see eye to eye with the others of his administration.

Charles Theodore grimaced. “Sire, he does, though he wishes to engage directly instead of building walls and firing from the safety of the city itself.”

Leopold waved a hand dismissively. “He will do as we command.” Leopold looked at the map once more and then demanded. “And the people of Serbia, what is their feeling?”

Here was where Metternich spoke. “Sire, our spies have been spreading word of the great benefits that will come from your most imperial rule over them. Of the freedom they would get from the heretical desires of the Turk. And so far the areas under your most majestic control are most loyal, indeed they are fighting most ferociously for your majesty. In the areas under Ottoman control things vary.”

Leopold nodded, he trusted Metternich. He turned his attention to Croatia. “What of our lands in Croatia, how goes the fighting there?” He knew that for some time the Turks had seen Croatia as a means of venturing into Hungary proper and then also into Austria. But they had been driven from Slovenia and from all of Hungary, and had no chance of returning there anytime soon.

Charles Theodore spoke. “Sire, His Highness the Margrave of Baden has fought off the Turks incursions into Zagreb and is wanting to push further south to ensure the Turks are driven off completely from the land.” Theodore hesitated for a moment, Leopold waved for him to continue. “The Venetians would be good allies to have in this manner. If they can be convinced to hit the lands of the south then the Turks will be stuck.” Leopold looked at Metternich for confirmation of this.

“It is true Your Imperial Majesty. Sultan Mehmed has suffered greatly. His murdering of his two brothers did not bring him the respite he thought it would. Instead it has served to push the opposition toward his sons. He will be under more pressure if his southern lands are under threat.” Metternich stated.

“Very well, reach out to the Venetians tell them to increase the pressure they put on those southern islands.” Leopold said. Metternich made a note of that and then, Leopold turned his attention westward. “What reports from the western front?” He knew his cousin Louis would want to expand his frontier. That man always felt threatened, no doubt with cousin Carlos an invalid, the man would want Spain as well. Leopold had written to his daughter Maria telling her to get about producing a daughter for his son Charles to marry. He had received word that she was pregnant, her husband had been granted leave specifically for that purpose.

“Sire, the situation is not good. Philipsburg has fallen, Mannheim, Trier, Trarbach, Landau and Mainz have all fallen to the French. The Elector Palatinate is in dire circumstances, and Prince William of Orange is worried that the French will turn on him soon.” Charles Theodore answered.

Leopold nodded, he did not want to distract from the campaign to push the Turk out of his lands, but he knew that if he did not aid the lands of the Empire then his line might not hold the position. “Very well, send word to the Elector of Bavaria and instruct him he is to take the fourth, fifth, eighth and twelve regiments with him to fight the French. We shall send more as time progresses.” Charles Theodore nodded, and wrote that down. Leopold looked at the men before him and said. “Now gentlemen, if you would, we must visit our wife.” With that he got up and walked out of the room.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, I have a question for you all, should I have Maria Antonia give birth to a girl, and should that girl marry Charles of Austria?

VVD0D95

Banned
Another query, if for whatever reason a marriage between Ulrika and James of England does not happen, could we possibly see a marriage between James and say Maria Luisa of Savoy?