The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Alright, status report: I'm about 30% done with the Asia/Africa updates; additionally, all future maps going forward are being refitted to a more accurate version of the Worlda, done by @cultural-deleonist. I found a way to speedup my workflow, so the series should be up to date by mid April, hopefully. Freshman year of college is starting to ramp up in workload, so I'll have to see how much I can get done per day :p. Anyways, thanks everyone for the feedback thus far, it's been really helpful.

As to the requests for new maps, I'll start work on those after I finish backtracking and updating the older ones.

Alright, status report: I'm about 30% done with the Asia/Africa updates; additionally, all future maps going forward are being refitted to a more accurate version of the Worlda, done by @cultural-deleonist. I found a way to speedup my workflow, so the series should be up to date by mid April, hopefully. Freshman year of college is starting to ramp up in workload, so I'll have to see how much I can get done per day :p. Anyways, thanks everyone for the feedback thus far, it's been really helpful.

As to the requests for new maps, I'll start work on those after I finish backtracking and updating the older ones.
I'm definitely looking forward to this. Would you be able to give some insight as to what these updates will be?

Here's that more accurate Worlda by the way! It owes a lot to you all here, obviously, but I redid all the Canadian lakes.

Attachments

• another worlda.png
    another worlda.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,207
Speaking of which - Progress on the 3.0 series is chugging along pretty steadily. I've gotten up to the 1350 base map, and I'm going to try and bang out the 1400, 1500, 1650, and 1700 map this weekend, assuming I can get my schoolwork out of the way quickly. Freshman year of college has slowly been ramping up in terms of workload.

The series is both a revamp of the non-european world, as well as updating the series to be on the actual most recent worlda basemap.

Thanks for doing the updates. Speaking as someone who likes maps but has zero skill in making them, it is appreciated. <imagine a thumbs-up smiley here>

I do have one nit-pick (sorry :(). The 1200 map shows Great Britain all as English pink - could it be corrected to Scottish blue (as in the 1350 map) at some point? Thanks.

Alright, so, while I haven't finished fixing all the maps yet, here's the actual *blank* map for the 3.0 series. The link on the main listing is updated as well. :
1TEPk0f.png

Oh! Also, I updated the NCS after some feedback on the "Maps, Flags, Linguistics, and Alternate History" discord server. The link on the main post is updated, and here it is as an image:
ePOWkEZ.png

Oh! Also, I updated the NCS after some feedback on the "Maps, Flags, Linguistics, and Alternate History" discord server. The link on the main post is updated, and here it is as an image:
you gotta post a link to the server
also that's a great color scheme

I like the new color scheme, and the addition of a "Minor Italy color" was a nice touch. But really, I like to split the hair on these things, so forgive me if i nit-nitpick.
Ferrara has been part of the dual duchy of Modena-Ferrara under the Estensi Family. At its peak, the Estensi Domains went from Lunigiana to Ferrara, neatly splitting Italy in two between the Imperial-leaning North and the Papist Center-South, which also follows a linguistic split between the Gallo-Italic and the more properly Latin dialects, which is why I see it as a watershed of sorts between two Italies, so Kudos for adding it in.
Ferrara However was a minor possession, that often changed hands between the Pope and the Estensi, and more generally, between the Papacy and the Empire, which is why, (my personal opinion, so feel fee to happily ignore me) I tend to see Ferrara, alongside Bologna, as a sort of "No Man's land". The main seat of the estensi Power Was Modena, and the Duchy of Modena outlived the Estensi, becoming a secondary domain of the Habsburg.
A minor but important Italian domain would be better represented by Modena rather than Ferrara.
Also, later on, that became the Left leaning zone, so it would rather be a reddish shade rather than a green one, but that's kind of splitting the hair split.
Again, feel free to ignore me.

Guys, this is great work and all, but I have a nitpick concerning blank maps:

Why did you put the blank map repository at the tail end of the map resources page on the wiki ?

Most of the newer blank maps now on offer on the resource page are just global maps. Fair enough, but some people, including timeline writers, also require regional maps. The sort that was plentiful in the blank map repository. I know several of those might need updating or replacing, but I don't think it's a good idea to completely downplay the regional blank maps. They still have their uses. Some people don't focus purely on the global maps.

Honestly, rather than making three different blank map directories, I'd be in favour of just replacing the outdated maps in the blank map directory with newer ones. Preferably with maps that have a regional focus and a smaller scale, and are easier to fill with details.

Guys, this is great work and all, but I have a nitpick concerning blank maps:

Why did you put the blank map repository at the tail end of the map resources page on the wiki ?

Most of the newer blank maps now on offer on the resource page are just global maps. Fair enough, but some people, including timeline writers, also require regional maps. The sort that was plentiful in the blank map repository. I know several of those might need updating or replacing, but I don't think it's a good idea to completely downplay the regional blank maps. They still have their uses. Some people don't focus purely on the global maps.

Honestly, rather than making three different blank map directories, I'd be in favour of just replacing the outdated maps in the blank map directory with newer ones. Preferably with maps that have a regional focus and a smaller scale, and are easier to fill with details.
Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean by *three* different map directories. The sticky on the Maps and Graphics forum and the Map Resources page on the wiki have both been updated by me to point to the most recent, complete, and up to date map series. I put the "Regional Blank Map Directory" near the bottom because most of those maps haven't been updated or used for a good four or so years. Most regional maps are done using M-Bam or VT-Bam nowadays; hell, I haven't seen the maps in that directory used in a good three or so years. My main goal in reorganizing the Wiki and creating the index on the forum is so that people are pointed to the most up to date stuff, so that everything is in one place, and there is consistency with base maps.

My time is mostly spent on keeping the threads up to date, and continuing work on the NextGen Worlda Series, so I personally don't have the time to update those older region BAMs, especially since VT-BAM and M-Bam serve the same purpose nowadays. If any other authors want to take up that task, then that'd be great, but I personally cannot at this moment.

Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean by *three* different map directories. The sticky on the Maps and Graphics forum and the Map Resources page on the wiki have both been updated by me to point to the most recent, complete, and up to date map series. I put the "Regional Blank Map Directory" near the bottom because most of those maps haven't been updated or used for a good four or so years. Most regional maps are done using M-Bam or VT-Bam nowadays; hell, I haven't seen the maps in that directory used in a good three or so years. My main goal in reorganizing the Wiki and creating the index on the forum is so that people are pointed to the most up to date stuff, so that everything is in one place, and there is consistency with base maps.

My time is mostly spent on keeping the threads up to date, and continuing work on the NextGen Worlda Series, so I personally don't have the time to update those older region BAMs, especially since VT-BAM and M-Bam serve the same purpose nowadays. If any other authors want to take up that task, then that'd be great, but I personally cannot at this moment.

I wasn't speaking literally, I just mean we should avoid too many redundant map repositories that offer the same. The old ones need updating to the current standards, rather than languishing as some lost archive. Of course, the updating will take a while, even if others help you with the effort.

Do the new collections also include regional maps (e.g. east Africa, west US, etc.) in the VT-BAM and M-BAM categories ?

If yeah, then it's okay.

It's just that I want to be sure people can access the stuff they need, and that we'll keep some stuff archived until its wholly superceded by a better or more modern equivalent. Regional blank maps are very useful for many TLs and I want to be sure new map-makers can still find them on the wiki in the future, if they'd ever need some specimens.

Thanks for all the hard work ! You're doing a great job. :cool:

Last edited: