Robert 1969-1977
Ted 1977-1985
Eunice 1985-1993
Caroline 1993-2001
John Jr 2001-2009
Patrick 2009-2017
Joe 2017-

Most ASB list ever :cool:

Good update. Like that Johnny Cash helped give Elvis the motivation to kick his drug habit (given Cash's own struggles with drugs (1)) and he will live longer as a result...

It's nice that Cash and Presley are trying to help drug addicts here...

BTW, the Wind Changes was a song sung by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash and released originally on Johnny Cash's Old Golden Throat album in 1968, but was a bonus track on Carryin' on With Johnny Cash and June Carter, so it appears to have been recorded in 1967, so congrats for continuing the pattern.

(1) BTW, have you watched the movie Walk the Line? Good movie, even if it is a little inaccurate in some of its details...

Waiting for 1968...

Good update. Like that Johnny Cash helped give Elvis the motivation to kick his drug habit (given Cash's own struggles with drugs (1)) and he will live longer as a result...

It's nice that Cash and Presley are trying to help drug addicts here...

BTW, the Wind Changes was a song sung by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash and released originally on Johnny Cash's Old Golden Throat album in 1968, but was a bonus track on Carryin' on With Johnny Cash and June Carter, so it appears to have been recorded in 1967, so congrats for continuing the pattern.

(1) BTW, have you watched the movie Walk the Line? Let me put it this way: if I had a dad like Johnny Cash's dad was portrayed in that movie, I'd turn to substance abuse (I'm honestly surprised Johnny didn't pull a Tyrion Lannister and kill his dad). What a POS (and telling your living son that the wrong son died?!? No wonder Johnny had issues); he's right up there with Joseph Kennedy, Sr. (his treatment of Rosemary Kennedy is enough to land him on the worst fathers list, IMO) in terms of bad parents...

Waiting for 1968...

Thank you, Unknown! :) I have seen Walk the Line, absolutely love that film. Cash's autobiography, which a lot of the film is based on, also talks about his relationship with his father. While I think the film highlighted the tension between the two of them for added drama, I definitely see where you're coming from.

I edited the update to reflect some of that, @President_Lincoln (apparently, the relationship was worsened for dramatic effect (that's Hollywood for you); Johnny Cash's dad IRL was apparently a man of few words, but they did have a strained relationship IRL).

BTW, have you seen the movie Murder in Coweta County? Johnny Cash plays the hero sheriff and is quite good. Andy Griffith is terrifying as the villain (of course, anyone surprised by this hadn't seen him as Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd)...

BTW, have you seen the movie Murder in Coweta County? Johnny Cash plays the hero sheriff and is quite good. Andy Griffith is terrifying as the villain (of course, anyone surprised by this hadn't seen him as Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd)...

I love that movie! I'm a huge fan of both Cash and Andy Griffith, so I've probably seen it more times that I'd like to admit. Plus, as already noted, it's one of the rare heel turns for Andy Griffith, who could show legitimate menace when needed.

It was never the focus of a chapter or anything. I believe it was mentioned during one of the updates on the Civil Rights Movement from '65 - '66, but if not, I'll say here that Malcolm X was still assassinated as per OTL.
Speaking of....will MLK live? I think he could do so much more as a man than a martyr.
Senator King? VP King? President King?

How are McCarthy and McGovern doing?

Both McCarthy and McGovern are enjoying successful careers in the Senate representing the more progressive wing of the Democratic Party. :) They both could have bright political futures ITTL, though neither seriously considered a run at the Nomination for President in '68. Without a war (as of yet) for them to rally against, they are simply overshadowed by Humphrey.

Just spent the last hour or so reading this. I was sad it wasn't complete because I was getting so into it. There's a perfect blend of politics and pop culture here. Another plus is this is one of my favorite times in American Political History, so many divergences possible during this time, and while the whole JFK doesn't die scenario is one of the most popular, you've made it your own and it's made for a very fascinating read, I'm excited to see where it goes! Also you got me to make my first post on this forum in two years of being a member so congratulations!

BP Booker

Banned
What will happen politically in Mississippi? Will the Democrats be stronger there than OTL? Will there be a successful bi-racial coalition?

OTL the Democrats stoped being competitive at the presidential level in the South after the 60s, but it was still plausible to win State wide races well into the 90s, in 1992, all four of Mississippis congretional delagates were democrats. Neighbouring Alabama elected its last Democratic Senator (under normal circumstances) in 1992, and Louisiana elected a Democratic governor in 2015 - With ACP the South will remain out of the Democrats grasp as the white bloc desertes them, and the black vote wont be enought to counter it, you would need a Bill Clinton/Barack Obama type candidate to manifest such bi-racial coalition

OTL the Democrats stoped being competitive at the presidential level in the South after the 60s, but it was still plausible to win State wide races well into the 90s, in 1992, all four of Mississippis congretional delagates were democrats. Neighbouring Alabama elected its last Democratic Senator in 1992, and Louisiana elected a Democratic governor in 2015 - With ACP the South will remain out of the Democrats grasp as the white bloc desertes them, and the black vote wont be enought to counter it, you would need a Bill Clinton/Barack Obama type candidate to manifest such bi-racial coalition

Are you saying it's very similar to OTL then? I was hoping for the establishment of biracial coalitions even in the presidential races.

You know, I’m kind of wondering, and this only occured to me today, but have the Kennedy’s (JFK and RFK) managed/will manage to off Fidel Castro like they tried all those times before JFK’s death in OTL?

I mean, you’d think they’d manage to luck out and do the deed with an extra 5 years.

Last edited: