Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

The Ottoman Empire's claims for the First World War should be easy enough:

upload_2018-3-7_16-20-17.png

It's just unclear what the 'small correction of Turkey's eastern border' should constitute. Presumably the return of Kars and Batum at least?

Probably means a border with Azerbaijan.

An attempt has been made:

upload_2018-3-8_10-21-24.png

Somewhat interpretive, both in the west (how many of the Aegean Islands would they really take?) and the east. Have gone for most Aegean Islands but none of the Italian Dodecanese (neutral in 1914) or Crete. For the Russia/Ottoman border in the east I have added Kars and Batum Oblasts, Erivan Governorate and a small strip of Elizavetpol that roughly corresponds to the old Nakhichevan Khanate-ish. Quite modest claims really.

An attempt has been made:

Somewhat interpretive, both in the west (how many of the Aegean Islands would they really take?) and the east. Have gone for most Aegean Islands but none of the Italian Dodecanese (neutral in 1914) or Crete. For the Russia/Ottoman border in the east I have added Kars and Batum Oblasts, Erivan Governorate and a small strip of Elizavetpol that roughly corresponds to the old Nakhichevan Khanate-ish. Quite modest claims really.

I'd interpret the "Aegean Islands" part as the North Aegean Islands (Samothrace, Limnos, Lesbos, Chios, Samos, Icaria) which had only been annexed by Greece in 1913.

Aegean_Sea_with_island_groups_labeled.gif

Potentially also the Dodecanese, depending on what happens with Italy. The Cyclades and Sporades had been Greek since their independence.

I'd interpret the "Aegean Islands" part as the North Aegean Islands (Samothrace, Limnos, Lesbos, Chios, Samos, Icaria) which had only been annexed by Greece in 1913.

Aegean_Sea_with_island_groups_labeled.gif

Potentially also the Dodecanese, depending on what happens with Italy. The Cyclades and Sporades had been Greek since their independence.

That makes much more sense. I will update accordingly.

I think if I were gaming Ottoman demands in a Central Powers victory scenario I would probably agree that the Dodecanese would be demanded from Italy (+ Libya), and the end of the British protectorate of Cyprus at the minimum - but this is just Said Halim's proposals made to the German ambassador Hans Freiherr von Wangenheim before the Ottoman Empire entered the war.

Bulgarian_acquisitions,_treaty_IX_1915.jpg

Since we're on the topic of World War I, these are the lands that were promised to Bulgaria in addition to those that were lost during the Balkan wars.

Last edited:
View attachment 375084
Lands that were promised in addition to those that were lost during the Balkan wars.

That's a lot of land. I suspect Bulgaria would have rather a big problem with its Serbian population in that case. No idea if the Central Powers would have actually given them the land if they had won.

Mind you, the Entente promised a lot of land to Italy to get them to join the war - they didn't get all of that in the peace treaty.

Posting the map from Wikipedia here, just in case it hasn't been posted already.

733px-Trattato_di_Londra.svg.png

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trattato_di_Londra.svg