Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Especially because NY gave up their claims east of the Connecticut in 1691.

Yep, this. It's odd, though, because sometimes mapmakers didn't keep up a lot, or even people's perceptions - Delaware was still seen as part of Pennsylvania by many despite being a legally separate colony/merely sharing a governor (a la NJ/NY and MA/NH for times), Ben Franklin still talked on "the Jerseys", etc. etc.

I don't know if anyone has ever drawn a complete coast to coast map, but this gives you an idea (1770s)

08VA-1300-Colonial-Williamsburg-VA.jpg
Tried to make a worlda of this:
claims.png

Isn't some of that owned by superpowers like Britain and France?

Considering some fire-eaters thought they could someday win the ideology war so bad WITHIN America so much they'd be "selling slaves in Boston Common" one day, I think we can safely assume "connected to reality" is not an apt descriptor of the Slaveocracy pre-and-during-the-Civil War.

Intermarium.png

Here we have Intermarium. It was proposed after the end of World War I by Polish leader Józef Piłsudski. It was to be a Federation between several Eastern European nations, many of whom were notable for being kicked around by other empires, both to unify them into a single state and to serve as a buffer zone between Germany and Russia to prevent another war. Of course, the only one who approved of his idea was France. The project died soon afterward.

It's also worth noting that there were quite a few different ideas on who should be in Intermarium and this is only one of them.

Considering some fire-eaters thought they could someday win the ideology war so bad WITHIN America so much they'd be "selling slaves in Boston Common" one day, I think we can safely assume "connected to reality" is not an apt descriptor of the Slaveocracy pre-and-during-the-Civil War.
Did someone literally say that part about slave auctions in Boston?

Otherwise known as: "Aren't you glad this didn't happen?"

Incidentally, if we're going for full claims, note that Southern slavocrats already claimed this before the CSA was ever a thing, and tht their ambitions included Kansas, all of Arizona (you only have them claim OTL's "Confederate Arizona", but they wanted the northern half too, up to OTL NM/Arizona's northern border) and a proposed Southern Californian slave state (often called "Colorado" in ATL, because of the river, making it a likely name) which would be everything south of that same OTL NM/Arizona northern border, just extended west to the Pacific. Also, while claims in South America were never defined, the implication was very much "everything we can grab", so the idea of them intentionally leaving Venezuala a coastline strikes me as improbable.

Revision:

View attachment 367224

(Otherwise known as: "Now that's even worse, damnit!")

Could be useful for a victorious Jake Featherston scenario.

A large version of the Talleyrand partition plan for Belgium (by the French ambassador to Britain Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord), made after the Belgian Revolution which separated them from the Netherlands and part of negotiations made by the great powers over Belgium's future. This proposal was ultimately rejected in favor of the recognition of a unified Belgian state at the London Conference of 1830.

728px-Partition-plan-Talleyrand-en.svg.png

I stumbled across this original partition plan for Bengal.

bengalassam.jpg

And because I love WorldA so much, I decided to try my best and transfer it.

Partition of Bengal Pre-Boundary Commission.png

Last edited:
View attachment 373824

After much more searching, I found this image in the appendix of a PhD Thesis by Mark Drummond at the University of Canberra, which is available online. The original image is from a pamphlet from the 1920s, but shows the borders of the provinces/states proposed by Griffith in 1888.
I'm putting this here so that in future this information will be slightly easier to find for someone interested.

Cross-posting from a thread I started asking about the borders of a federal Queensland.
Mark Drummond's PhD Thesis also includes an appendix with numerous other proposed divisions of Australian colonies/states.

Cross-posting from a thread I started asking about the borders of a federal Queensland.
Mark Drummond's PhD Thesis also includes an appendix with numerous other proposed divisions of Australian colonies/states.

Do you have a link to the thesis?

It can be found using Google and I didn't put the link as I can't remember site policy on posting links to obscure websites, but as you asked: http://members.webone.com.au/~markld/PhD/thesis.html
The part I refer to is Appendix 2A: Australian New State Proposals.

Thanks! These look good for consideration of alternate states to be created.

I'm pretty sure the policy is only about not linking to websites that are conspiratorial in nature; this seems to be a good resource (if anything else, the maps are worth the link).

View attachment 374643
Jan Smuts' 1895 proposal for Greater South Africa, with its border set at the Zambezi river.

Didn't know his aim for Mozambique went back to 1895. I know in 1915 during WWI, he had hoped that the Portuguese would be willing to swamp Mozambique (or perhaps just Mozambique south of the Zambezi) for southern Tanganyika. He also proposed renaming German South-West Africa as "Bothaland"

Did he really want to partition the former southern Portuguese East Africa between Transvaal and southern Rhodesia? And merge "Bothaland" with Bechuanaland?