Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
fUQGdl1.png

Behold, the world of Fuego.

I was inspired by those cool Planetocopia maps in the world dream bank, in particular the Tilt! worlds where the poles are placed in different locations and a different climate is worked out.

I decided to make one where the north pole is in Tierra del Fuego, the southern tip of South America. The south pole ended up in Russia near Lake Baikal. Yes, the huge ice-capped blob at the bottom of the map is indeed Eurasia. This world is sort of halfway between Shiveria and OTL, with a potent Ice Age, but not a suffocating one. I did my best weighing glacial rebound, poorly-charted bathymetry, and overflowing ice sheets. Due to the low quality of my reprojected basemap, many islands are either not shown or possibly off a bit.

I might decide to to do more with this world. It's not finished yet at all; there are no cultures or history and I haven't worked out the climate zones or rainfall levels. Maybe.

Last edited:
great work kolchak, that looks like a fun concept to play around with.
guessing you used an otl sea levels map for it and manually edited in the new coastlines? impressive either way
Yeah, it's quite fascinating. This one was a little sloppily done and took me about three days. The coastlines were mostly very careful guesswork. I don't have geoprojector, so I drew them where seemed appropriate.

At least it does look like I actually used a sea levels map :)

The basemap was taken from this website.

bZUr6uP.png

"John!"

"John, for the love of god get the hell in here!"

"David it's too early for this again what do yo-"

….

"Good god."

Earth-9TGW1T

Earth-9TGW1T (nicknamed Britannia) was one of the first of the hegemonic universes to be discovered by the Department of Trans-Dimensional Affairs. It is considered a DIMDEF Level 2 Threat, and contact has not been made. It is currently unknown if Britannia has access to inter-dimensional technology, but it is considered well within the realm of possibility. Currently, there are over [redacted] detectives investigating the state of affairs in the timeline. It is important to note that although the ruling nation-state refers to itself as Britain, English culture is the hegemonic one, as the Celtic populations of the Isles have been almost entirely absorbed.

A hegemonic universe is an alternate timeline in which one culture has effectively subdued the entirety of Earth and Sol militarily, culturally and economically. It does not necessarily mean a nation that has succeeded in world conquest - as resistance to the conquering power must be non-existent for the universe to be considered hegemonic.

All hegemonic universes are considered threats to trans-universal stability. When encountered, the appropriate defensive pre-emptive strike is enacted.

~~~

I can't find the source image or original author, but the internal divisions of Central Asia and East Africa are (mostly) not mine. Russian and China are dominated by a British corporate oligarchy, hence they're not independent allies or directly a part of the empire.​

bZUr6uP.png

"John!"

"John, for the love of god get the hell in here!"

"David it's too early for this again what do yo-"

….

"Good god."

Earth-9TGW1T

Earth-9TGW1T (nicknamed Britannia) was one of the first of the hegemonic universes to be discovered by the Department of Trans-Dimensional Affairs. It is considered a DIMDEF Level 2 Threat, and contact has not been made. It is currently unknown if Britannia has access to inter-dimensional technology, but it is considered well within the realm of possibility. Currently, there are over [redacted] detectives investigating the state of affairs in the timeline. It is important to note that although the ruling nation-state refers to itself as Britain, English culture is the hegemonic one, as the Celtic populations of the Isles have been almost entirely absorbed.

A hegemonic universe is an alternate timeline in which one culture has effectively subdued the entirety of Earth and Sol militarily, culturally and economically. It does not necessarily mean a nation that has succeeded in world conquest - as resistance to the conquering power must be non-existent for the universe to be considered hegemonic.

All hegemonic universes are considered threats to trans-universal stability. When encountered, the appropriate defensive pre-emptive strike is enacted.

~~~

I can't find the source image or original author, but the internal divisions of Central Asia and East Africa are (mostly) not mine. Russian and China are dominated by a British corporate oligarchy, hence they're not independent allies or directly a part of the empire.​

I approve. :cool:

But in my headcanon, The Neuroi; an alien race of magitech mastery, eat large swathes of northwestern Canada/Farway and Alaska as soon as they landed on earth some 10.000 years ago, and then use it to fill up the area that is now Eastern Seaboard and Western Seaboard of US Liberion, and the central Liberion in the south so that they can use it as a launch point to spread themselves al over the globe.

Hmm. So The Neuroi came and went and the continent was shaped that way when Europeans first arrived?

There would seem to be a bit of a logical contradiction between "Neuroi hives can appear anywhere" and "the Neuroi can't spread by sea?"

Hmm. So The Neuroi came and went and the continent was shaped that way when Europeans first arrived?

There would seem to be a bit of a logical contradiction between "Neuroi hives can appear anywhere" and "the Neuroi can't spread by sea?"

The show had pubescent young girls flying at high altitudes in giant metal leg harnesses, wearing nothing but their uniforms. Without pants. You tell me about logical contradiction. ._.

The show had pubescent young girls flying at high altitudes in giant metal leg harnesses, wearing nothing but their uniforms. Without pants. You tell me about logical contradiction. ._.

Worldbuilding and head canon, folks: if the hulk is always wearing purple pants, goddamn it, you gotta explain those purple pants. :p

I can't find the source image or original author, but the internal divisions of Central Asia and East Africa are (mostly) not mine. Russian and China are dominated by a British corporate oligarchy, hence they're not independent allies or directly a part of the empire.

Well, it's no WorldRaj :biggrin: , but it's pretty cool. How are incorporated territories defined/governed, and don't the areas in personal Union get to have any?

about that contradiction:
from the Strike Witches Wiki
Strike Wtiches Wiki about Neuroi said:
An interesting note is that Neuroi are as of the moment documented to show a disdain and aversion for large bodies of water, and generally seem to dislike water in general. Thus, there are no Neuroi units that are currently known to adopt class types that can travel upon or wage war upon the sea. While they can cross the skies above bodies of water, Neuroi appear to have very short flight times and appear to stay within a certain proximity to land in order to return to their lines and in turn return to the miasma. The exact reasons for this are vague, although some speculations put forth claim that Neuroi can't withstand or operate well in such excessively large quantities of water, possibly disrupting their biology as well as having little to no access to resources of the land for their own purposes. The only times Neuroi have spent an extended time over seas and oceans are to conduct close to shore patrols and combat missions or infiltration, or as a sort of one way trip invasion that demands a lot of time, resources and Neuroi unit support of kin units; as seen during the Fuso Sea incident

Also in my headcanon, Neuroi can burrow themselves to the ground and can go as deep into the Earth's mantle, creating geological anomalies as they travel beneath the planet.

Worldbuilding and head canon, folks: if the hulk is always wearing purple pants, goddamn it, you gotta explain those purple pants. :p

Also the pantless thing, it has to do with the witches aerodynamical abilities. maybe wearing pants would created some drags in the air while they're flying, thus slow them down. :p

Last edited:

Bruce Banner has 20 suits, all the same color so he doesn't have to think what to wear in the morning, all purple because... he just has terrible taste.
That's canon, comes from the in-universe notes of Doc Samson who is the Hulk's shrink.

Status
Not open for further replies.