Planetocopia Map Thread

...Wait, how did you come up with that formula? I'm a little confused because someone else did an interpretation of my map where I'm in the mid-40's whereas according to your calculation, I'm at 33 degrees north. (BTW, the green line is supposed to represent 45 degrees north.)

When given the choice between math and "eyeballing it," I go with math because it's more reliable.

111 kilometers is the approximate distance of 1 degree of latitude on Earth's surface. It varies very little, between 110.6 km at the equator and 111.7 km at the poles. Lines of latitude are perfect circles on a sphere, with the center being on the poles.

Still assuming you live in Manila. If your north pole is at 12.6N, 8W (Bamako, Mali), then the distance between those points would be 13651 km, which divides to 123° almost exactly. 90°-123°=-33°, or 33S. So yes, you'd be 33 degrees from the equator.

You can do a check of the formula by looking at antipodal points.

Taipei, Taiwan, and Asunción, Paraguay, are very close to each other's antipodes, meaning they are nearly exactly on the opposite side of the world from each other. Let's say we want Taipei to be the north pole, 90°N. This means that its antipode, Asunción, should be very close to the south pole, which is 90°S. We put it into the map, which tells us the distance is 19947 kilometers (default is miles; remember to select kilometers!). 19947/111=179.7. 90-179.7=-89.3, which is close to -90. The formula checks out.

Agreed. Adding to the Mediterranean Ice-Sea system is more likely. There were a few depressions in Iran that seem promising but there is no way for them to flow. And then the Nile flows across where the Pharaoh's Canal once was. And the Jordan River flows into, and finally out of, the Dead Sea.

Greenland is still a plateau here, could get the whole range of Scandinavian climates.

How about C )? The Siberian region could be very extreme desert. The only rain looks like it could be a mild monsoon, but that won't make it to Central Asia.

North America will be interesting here. Australia, but the Murray-Darling is as big and reliable as the Mississippi, thanks to the Rocky Mountains.
As for North America, I think the population is still gonna be less sparse than Australia because there would be lots of lakes and mountains to break up the outback.

Last edited:
When given the choice between math and "eyeballing it," I go with math because it's more reliable.

111 kilometers is the approximate distance of 1 degree of latitude on Earth's surface. It varies very little, between 110.6 km at the equator and 111.7 km at the poles. Lines of latitude are perfect circles on a sphere, with the center being on the poles.

Still assuming you live in Manila. If your north pole is at 12.6N, 8W (Bamako, Mali), then the distance between those points would be 13651 km, which divides to 123° almost exactly. 90°-123°=-33°, or 33S. So yes, you'd be 33 degrees from the equator.

You can do a check of the formula by looking at antipodal points.

Taipei, Taiwan, and Asunción, Paraguay, are very close to each other's antipodes, meaning they are nearly exactly on the opposite side of the world from each other. Let's say we want Taipei to be the north pole, 90°N. This means that its antipode, Asunción, should be very close to the south pole, which is 90°S. We put it into the map, which tells us the distance is 19947 kilometers (default is miles; remember to select kilometers!). 19947/111=179.7. 90-179.7=-89.3, which is close to -90. The formula checks out.
BTW, you wound up at 26.054054054 degrees south.

...Wait, how did you come up with that formula? I'm a little confused because someone else did an interpretation of my map where I'm in the mid-40's whereas according to your calculation, I'm at 33 degrees north. (BTW, the green line is supposed to represent 45 degrees north.)
grega94-1866598-albums-maps-pic145450-antarctica-equator.png
OK, so here's an updated version from the same person who made the modified map:
grega94-1866598-albums-maps-pic145584-antarctica-updated.png

Regarding the most complete equatorial current idea - I think XKCD's Cassini could be the closest. It does have Antarctica in the way, but unlike the other versions, the current can flow around, and possibly through, Antarctica. After that it only has to wind it's way around Africa, and then thread it's way through the Bering Strait.

Again, I don't have image software on this PC, so imagine the equator, it's on the international date line -

M8yrt3z.png

If we're looking for maximum circumtropical currents, this isn't a bad place to start.

J35pmPr.png

hi, if you want the longest possible uninterrupted stretch of water then kamchatka-pakistan is as far as you should be able to go

J35pmPr.png

hi, if you want the longest possible uninterrupted stretch of water then kamchatka-pakistan is as far as you should be able to go

The longest unbroken line on ocean is not necessarily the equator with the most ocean, since that circumference also goes straight through a very mountainous patch of Central Asia and the Mongolian highlands.

Every circumference on a sphere's surface corresponds to a pair of poles, which means every point on a hemisphere has a unique circumference. There might be a program that could tell you how much land/water is on a given equator, and then run it for a set of lat/long pairs in the northern hemisphere, and then you could find the equator with the highest ocean percentage. Maybe a GIS program could do that, but I don't know how to use those.

Redcoat

Banned
unknown.png

Can someone make me a map with the equator following this line? It goes through Nantes, just outside of Zagreb, Bern and Varna, slices through Tasmania, reaches the tip of New Zealand, through the Panama/Costa Rica border, and just misses the Galapagos. Anyone up for it? My computer can't seem to download any of those mapping tools.

The North Pole is at 43.1 N and 178.5 E

Not even a basemap, I just want someone to generate the map.

Last edited:
unknown.png

Can someone make me a map with the equator following this line? It goes through Nantes, just outside of Zagreb, Bern and Varna, slices through Tasmania, reaches the tip of New Zealand, through the Panama/Costa Rica border, and just misses the Galapagos. Anyone up for it? My computer can't seem to download any of those mapping tools.

The North Pole is at 43.1 N and 178.5 E

Not even a basemap, I just want someone to generate the map.
Here's one as close as I could make it. Robinson.

yNKeQVx.png

Any guesses as to this climate zones here? I put the roof of the world on top of the world (with the north pole roughly centered around Mt. Everest)
kagVxBM
Everestia.png

Interesting thread... someone on the worldbuilding Reddit posted this a while back with the same idea you had.
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuild...stia_my_take_on_what_the_world_would_be_like/

Its a pretty basic map, not very detailed but a good starter for anyone else interested (for instance he did not account for sea level fall or the existence of Hudson Bay being questionable).