Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the French are responsible for Confederate secession, I'm curious how they end up as allies, or why the British Admiralty isn't preparing to blow its brains out...

Edit: Particularly when the map sees Union states like Missouri and Kentucky given to the CSA.

I admitted those 2 states are mostly due to rule of cool. But the Confederacy didn't end up as French ally very long as they had their own design for Mexico. The British was their main business partner though.

Why would the US ally with France, the people who helped the South break away?

Well, it had already been a generation after the war, the grudge was fading. And the US joined WWI on the Entente's side very late, mostly because of Japan. Japan received a telegram from Germany which asked for them to open a 2nd front against Russia. The Japanese accepted, and while marching into Fengtian, managed to set up a puppet state with Puyi as emperor. Fearing its access to China being cut off, the US declared war and engaged Japan in the Pacific.

apartheid_in_the_sea_of_time_by_kitfisto1997-dc30v4g.png

Here’s a simple Worlda map depicting the aftermath of an ISOT event that involves the nations of South Africa, Rhodesia and the Portuguese Government-in-Exile (and a few more) being transported to OTL Southern Africa from my Republic of Rhodesia oneshot that I uploaded last year. I've also taken some inspiration from @rvbomally’s The South Has Risen Again (Kinda) and its sequel, The South Has Fallen Again.

--

Many thought that the idea of time travel or even travel between other worlds was impossible, but the events of mid-1996 changed all that. Six sovereign states, all of which were some varying levels of dictatorship, replaced what was once a region of free and democratic states on a continent that was usually famous for its dictators.

The nightmares of many South Africans and Zimbabweans who were aboard at the time of ‘The Event’ had been reborn in all their modern, late 1990’s splendour.

The governments of the three Apartheid states merely reacted with shock at their sudden inter-universal transportation, while the communist governments to the north were in utter chaos, still reeling from the loss of their Soviet protectors. Zambia fell into civil conflict about two days after the ISOT, while South Africa and Co. declared martial law and sent the military out to the streets to contain any potential violence. Riots and other forms of widespread civil disobedience began to spread throughout the townships and major cities, where it eventually got to the point of no return in the first week or so after the ISOT. South Africa and Rhodesia quickly collapsed into civil war two weeks after the ISOT, with Estado Novo following shortly thereafter.

The international community reacted with shock, as did President Mandela, who was at the UN during the events of the ISOT. Various sanctions were passed by the international community and a rapid response force of UN and NATO troops prepared for an invasion of the rapidly-disintegrating region. The International Forces quickly made mincemeat of the unprepared South African and Communist forces. The nuclear destruction of Cape Town by an as-yet-unknown party only served to strengthen the resolve of the UN and their newfound allies, most of which were in the form of numerous guerrilla groups, both White and Black.

The remnants of the Apartheid and Communist governments quickly sued for peace approximately 6 months post-ISOT. The occupation duties were split between the major governments of the UN, while new states were created either out of rebellion or carefully negotiated decisions between nations. The South African Conflict, as it came to be known, scarred the continent – and the world – forever. What worried the international community the most was the fact that if some of the worst regimes could just pop up out of nowhere and replace formerly democratic states, who says that it couldn’t happen again?

The current year, 2016 A.D., has seen many changes, for good or for ill. The governments of China, Pakistan and Iran have since passed into history, while the old dictatorships of Iraq, East Africa, Indonesia and Katanga continue to function as they always had. The new Cold War between a military-run Chinese Republic and the United States is set to begin soon, which seems to be a direct consequence of Beijing not getting their ‘fair share’ of South African land to occupy.

Meanwhile, the remnants of South Africa have created their fair share of weird and whacky successors. Formerly exiled-President Mandela went on to run the rump multi-racial South Africa Republic (based out of Pretoria). Natal broke off as an independent biracial Anglo-Zulu Kingdom under native rule, Orange Free State and the surrounding region quickly went Communist, only to have at least half a decade of Chinese recognition and supplies before Beijing went up in smoke, it’s now the African North Korea, to say the least. The Cape region of SA is home to the liberal Cape Republic, dominated by nomically ‘liberal’ Afrikaners, Coloureds and Indians, as most of the Blacks fled to Azania or any of the independent Bantustans that would take them in. Other nations such as Griqualand, Transkei, Botswana, Namibia and Sofala have prospered either by themselves or with a UN/US cash injection to get them going.

Various rogue states have also come out of the South African mess, ranging from the mercenary-run Republic of Angola to the remnants of the Estado Novo regime in Lourenco Marques, who’ve only just doubled-down on their Lusophone version of the Apartheid system and has begun work on a nuclear program with Libyan and Iraqi assistance.

The scientific and cultural implications of the ISOT have now made themselves clear to the world. Science Fiction novels, movies and television series that tell stories of alternate worlds have become popular in certain circles, while historians, students and netizens often speak of the world that the African nations came from, where the USSR stuck around and Jack Kemp was President of the US as opposed to Bill Clinton.

Nobody knows of what further chaos may come from this mess, but it’s now been established that there’s more than just our Earth out there in the sea of time and space. Some tests at CERN and MIT have been recently bearing fruit, which may possibly solve the mystery of what happened all those years ago...

Last edited:
How does Russia in the midst of a demographic death spiral end up claiming more than the US?
Beacuse Russia had more opportunity to claim lands. The US can’t exactly chalenge them on Kazakhstan or Mongolia.
The US has no direct land link to any Virgin lands so it takes more time for them to get into the settlement game.

Last edited:

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
I think we've all wondered how much better off Britain would be without the South.
...no? just me?

Anyway, have this Kazakh-murderingly ASB map of a Britain without the South.
edit: fixed mistake where ashington was labelled as alnwyck

View attachment 370180
Does the South exist ITTL, or is it underwater (not that I'd be upset with the latter, despite living in the South, I'm just curious)?
Real talk, I would have said Wales would be independent, if it was geographically separated from Northumbria and all that.

Plus, I think all of Wales is normally counted as vaguely "Northern".
This map speaks a fair bit of truth:
england-north-south.png

If you really want to leave then just stop posting already. At this point you're just derailing the thread.
This reminded me how I wasted the past 5 years of my life posting on the Roblox forums, most notably Off Topic. Whenever I was on Off Topic there was always tons of trolls, spammers, bots, and flamers.

Fun times...

A collection of space maps.

I: Adrelij systems color-coded by governance- Red: United Upratzij States Orange: Stoyazyi Federation Blue: Grand Viyas Purple: Free Rejudics Green: Middlesystem Defensive Alliance White: No Official Government / Government not "Big Five". Really, the MDA should just be another minor power OR I move the little powers up...
ENMPSrg.png

II: Wormholes of the Adrelij Diaspora, color-coded on a "physical" as opposed to transit map.
HstlbQD.png

III: Wormholes of the Adrelij Diaspora, on a "transit" map.
A0uzIYs.png

IV: Internal astrography of the Beldoniki system, Eleemosyne Polysyndicated.

Beldoniki, the smallest G-type star you've ever seen. The primeworld, its two orbital rings (each pretty huge but balanced and tilted such that sunlight lands pretty much normally), four other large rings, three smaller rings, and the Pulsar Of Weirdness.
SuDzVc3.png
I always see this font on maps and I want to use it, but I don't know the name. Does anybody know?

Deleted member 101966

I have known despair and it is the North

When I started writing this wacky post-apocalyptic setting two years ago, I had never even been to Grande Prairie. Now I live here. This isn't a joke, I ride the #6 bus to work in Richmond Industrial Park every day and it's been hitting -40 for the last two weeks and the tallest building I've seen in 2018 has been 214 Place and a bottle of Jarritos costs $3.50 because the only place you can buy it is at the Farmers' Market and they get their stock from Edmonton. The Saddle Hills lie on the northern horizon, thirty kilometers distant, exactly tall enough to be barely visible. The Grande Prairie is bounded on every side. Along every sidewalk, the piles of snow are five feet tall. I had to walk home from work yesterday.

Also, enjoy the map, I guess!

tomorrow_country_and_the_land_of_peace_by_strathconabooster-dc30ut8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.