28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

What I liked about this TL is it explains the gaps between the time Jim woke up to an accurate portrayal of how Europe was destroyed. Maybe they should hire you as the story writer for the next sequel.

I guess the post might have been from a timeline snippet then rather than the movies.

Found it

Some what ironically was the state of the former United Kingdom, which was actually improving, the resettlement areas set up American led NATO forces before the Europe outbreak had manage to establish contact with eachother and form a loose federation of communities that swere dotted around England, Scotland and Wales. My early 2006, the Federation of Great Britain was proclaimed in St Andrews, Scotland, which included St Andews, the most affluent of the resettled areas, as well as the Isle of Wight, Dover, Folkstone, Portsmouth, Fort William and Angelsey. Smaller villages near these towns were later cleared of bodies and wreckage and also resettled, and rudimentary phone lines and power lines were set up or reconnected, allowing communication between the citizens of the British Federation of some 30,000 estimated people. The Federation was run by a joint civilian and military council upon its proclamation, with plans for elections in 2008.

It would not be Republican- plenty of surviving Royals, and the Brits would go for continuity of traditions.

The international community still recognizes the Blair then Brown administration in de facto Belfast as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I believe by the time of the second outbreak a new republican British Government had been established in the former UK.
Perhaps the Republican British government established in southern England is a "temporary" or "provisional" country, to give some form of autonomy whilst the Brown administration settles up things first in Northern Ireland then in Scotland. It was mentioned that the recognized British government slowly returned to the mainland, first getting into contact with Acting Prime Minister, then later First Minister of Scotland, MP Galloway, before going south and establishing the capital in Richmond.

Absolutely in love with this entire thread, awesome job, spence! Re-read it like three times now lmao. Literally only made this account because I wanted to join this thread so badly.

It definitely got me thinking about what the effects of this widespread decimation would be on numerous things in our world, and recently it got me thinking about the entertainment industry of all things as I was just playing the Anniversary edition of Halo 2, I wondered if the Flood would have been taken out of the game entirely by Bungie due to it being a controversial subject. (Halo 2 being released in late 2004) Y'know a virus that turns people into monsters that then further spread the virus, which of course would dramatically change the game's play and story and the games after that. The movie and game franchise of Resident Evil entirely may be dropped or changed to focus more on the corporation and political stuff rather than the zombies. (Going on the assumption that zombies exist in pop culture in this world since zombies are never really brought up in most of the universes that media IRL is set in containing them) Dawn of the Dead (Remake) would absolutely be cancelled, the Dead Rising series would never come to light. That entire genre would most likely just disappear over night, likely not to return for decades. (Mainstream wise)

I'd say the only media that would be considered appropriate in the public eye would be documentaries or books about the events, any kind of fictionalized version would most likely be shunned as insensitive.

Even movies that don't focus on zombies but just on diseases in general may not pass the corporate level decision making in Hollywood. Movies like Contagion (2011) for example that just focus on the spread of a disease would most likely not come out or be controversial upon release. Dr. Who would have never been revived after years of being off the air as it only came back in 2005, the iconic Cornetto trilogy of comedy movies starring Simon Pegg and Andy Frost would also likely never come out unless they relocated to America before Britain was shut off from the rest of the world during the outbreak and even then.

Outside of the entertainment industry however I was also thinking about the Middle East. Since the Iraq War never happened, ISIS never came to power and would the Arab Spring even happen? And if it did would it happen in 2011, later or maybe even earlier? Would it be as intense with numerous civil wars sparking as a result or would it be less horrific due to the non-existence of ISIS and Russia and NATO potentially being too distracted with Europe to focus on interfiering in Syria and the Middle East overall.

chankljp

Donor
Outside of the entertainment industry however I was also thinking about the Middle East.

I am certain that all the radical Islamist such as the Taliban and Al-Qaeda will be claiming that the Rage Virus was divine punishment for the infidels for occupying the Muslim land, or maybe just use people totally justified fear of viral infection to mail packages with fake Rage infected blood all over the place as a cheap way to spread panic.

It definitely got me thinking about what the effects of this widespread decimation would be on numerous things in our world, and recently it got me thinking about the entertainment industry of all things as I was just playing the Anniversary edition of Halo 2, I wondered if the Flood would have been taken out of the game entirely by Bungie due to it being a controversial subject. (Halo 2 being released in late 2004)

Considering the global economic collapse due to the fall of not just Britain, but also much of Western and Central Europe, I think the entire entertainment industry would have taken quite a significant hit with the lost of so many major markets and talent. For all we know, many of the OTL games and film studios might not be able to survive the crash, resulting in may games and movies never being produced, period.

I am much more of the opinion that the Outbreak was contained to Britain, as the setup and ending of 28 Weeks was very stupid imho, however even given a UK only 2002 Outbreak, the panic and market reaction would crash the world economy for some years, and I doubt any big blockbusters are being made for a long time.

The effect on popular music is likely to be a revival of quite apocalyptic lyrics vs very optimistic happy 'poppy' stuff.

I am much more of the opinion that the Outbreak was contained to Britain, as the setup and ending of 28 Weeks was very stupid imho, however even given a UK only 2002 Outbreak, the panic and market reaction would crash the world economy for some years, and I doubt any big blockbusters are being made for a long time.

The effect on popular music is likely to be a revival of quite apocalyptic lyrics vs very optimistic happy 'poppy' stuff.

A UK only 2002 outbreak would not be enough to destroy the entertainment industry. In-fact during the Great Depression, Hollywood was more popular than ever, entering its own golden age. At the height of TGD, 60-80 million Americans still went to the cinemas regularly. Movies, games and books help people escape the tragedies of the real world, I think the entertainment industry would definitely change however to adapt to the public's new need for more happy/optimistic escapism. Actually with that description I think the 2002 outbreak would spur the revival of the superhero genre much earlier and stronger than it did IRL. Think about it, would you rather go to the cinemas to see some horror/drama tragedy film about all of the characters' dying and losing everything they have, which IRL would probably (if made well) be considered good viewing or a CGI superhero going about saving the day and having catchy one liners. Maybe the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies in this world were a lot more successful than they were in ours.

For games as well, studios like Bungie for example as I was basing my thoughts off of Halo 2 don't actually require the UK to still exist in-order to succeed. The US, Canada, Aus/NZ alone, and also Europe (in a scenario where the outbreak was UK only) are enough to spur massive success for any triple A game. Again, I do think that in the gaming community at least where Halo 2 was already the most (at the time) widely anticipated release that it may have even been more hyped and successful than it was in our world since its a breath of fresh air and optimism in a world that has suffered greatly at the hands of the Rage Virus. People like to use media to escape the real world so I think in some ways the entertainment industry might actually thrive post-outbreak. Though of course we'd lose a lot of excellent British media like I listed in my first post.