Update #67: Supreme Court of the United States
Interesting.
I can't wait to see how John Edwards will implode.
Who did Fred Thompson appoint to succeed William Rehnquist and Sandra Day O'Connor?

Sorry it took so long so answer, I completely forgot about responding! I've been substituting these last few days.

Supreme Court of the United States
Chief Justice: John Roberts (Thompson)
John Paul Stevens (Ford)
Anthony Kennedy (Reagan)
Antonin Scalia (Reagan)
Clarence Thomas (George H.W. Bush)
Ruth Bader Gingsburg (Clinton)
Stephen Breyer (Clinton)
Edith Brown Clement (Thompson)
Jennifer Granholm (Edwards)

Conservative: 5
Liberal: 4

Not even Joe Clark? :cryingface:

Meh, I'm not a monster. The man has suffered enough.

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long so answer, I completely forgot about responding! I've been substituting these last few days.

Supreme Court of the United States
Chief Justice: John Robarts (Thompson)
John Paul Stevens (Ford)
Anthony Kennedy (Reagan)
Antonin Scalia (Reagan)
Clarence Thomas (George H.W. Bush)
Ruth Bader Gingsburg (Clinton)
Stephen Breyer (Clinton)
Edith Brown Clement (Thompson)
Jennifer Granholm (Edwards)

Conservative: 6
Liberal: 3

Meh, I'm not a monster. The man has suffered enough.
Love it! Leave it to Thompson to pick someone from the South instead of from Pennsylvania.
Stevens was a liberal, however. So 5-4 conservative, just like OTL. Dodged a bullet there

Update #68: Vancouver 2010
The 2010 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XXI Olympic Winter Games, and commonly known as Vancouver 2010, informally the 21st Winter Olympics, were a major international multi-sport event held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, as well as Richmond, West Vancouver, and University Endowment Lands, as well as the resort town of Whistler, from February 12 until February 28, 2010. The third Olympics hosted by Canada, after the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, Quebec and the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Alberta, the City of Vancouver was narrowly chosen over Pyeongchang, South Korea in the second round of voting held by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Approximately 2,600 athletes from 82 nations participated in 86 events in fifteen disciplines.

As per tradition, Vancouver Mayor Christy Clark received the Olympic Flag during the closing ceremonies of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. The Flag was raised on February 28, 2006, in a special ceremony overseen by Clark, British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell, Lieutenant Governor Iona Campagnolo, various members of the provincial legislature and federal parliament, and remained on display until the official opening ceremonies of the games. The 2010 Olympics were officially opened by Governor General Marc Garneau, who was accompanied by Prime Minister Jim Dinning and International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge.

For the first time since its involvement in the Olympics, Canada secured a gold medal on home soil, something of which it had failed to do in both 1976 and 1988, respectively. With 16 medals, Canada broke the record for most gold medals won at a single Winter Olympics. The previous record, 13, was set by both the Soviet Union in 1976 and Norway in 2002. The United States won the most medals overall with 35 medals, falling just short of Germany's showing of 36 in 2002.

With a viewership of approximately 27 million Canadians, the gold medal game between Canada and the United States, a rematch of 2002, was by far the most watched event of the entire Olympic games. The final score was a 3-2 win for Canada, with Captain Sidney Crosby scoring the winning goal seven minutes and forty second into overtime. Throughout Canada the goal has been routinely touted as one of the great highlights of Canadian hockey, and the puck used in the game has since been sent to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Although criticized by foreign press as somewhat too nationalistic, most notably for the Own the Podium program, both IOC President Rogge and Prime Minister Dinning applauded Vancouver, as well as the country as a whole, for how they embraced the games. The Prime Minister called the Winter Olympics a watershed moment for Canada, and a time when Canadians, who have historically been charged as being reserved when dealing with matters of nationalism, to publicly take pride in their country. The political opposition in Canada has also criticized the federal government for using the games and its resulting success to their own political advantage, including the prorogation of parliament in the lead-up to the games, and numerous Conservative campaign material praising their government’s handling of the games.

h3sELJS.png

Last edited:
Update #69: Nova Scotia general election, 2010 & Opinion Poll
When Scott Brison became leader of the Nova Scotia Progressive Conservatives and Premier of the province, he was viewed, whether fairly or unfairly, as a novelty. Young, inexperienced, and, although some Tory activists were uncomfortable with it, gay, he had helped rejuvenate the Tories image with Nova Scotians. Seeking a mandate of his own only months after securing his party’s leadership, making the first openly gay Premier in Canadian history, Brison had secured the majority that his party had lost only three years earlier, albeit only narrowly. It appeared as though the Progressive Conservatives had pulled a rabbit out of a hat, and were set to govern indefinitely. Certainly they had the public’s backing, with polls showing as much as sixty percent of voters were satisfied with the Tory government, and the new Premier was well ahead of both the NDP’s Darrell Dexter and the Liberal’s Diana Whalen when it came to who the public viewed as their preferred leader. Joining fellow Tory Premiers Janet Ecker and Bernard Lord, there was routine chatter that Brison could one-day be a potential candidate for the federal Conservative leadership. Despite his own personal animosity with much of the Conservative Party’s western, more socially conservative wing, the Nova Scotia Premier enjoyed a close and friendly relationship with Jim Dinning, whom he had privately called the only thing keeping the federal Tories both sane, and from entering into civil war with one another. Still, like any decade-long government, the cracks and scandals had begun to show.

First came the Ernie Fage incident. First elected in a 1997 by-election, Fage had been promoted to cabinet by Brison shortly after the latter's leadership victory. Unfortunately for everyone involved, the new Minister, ironically, wasn't very bright when it came to the law. In 2007 Fage left both cabinet and caucus after it had been revealed that he had been charged with leaving the scene of an accident, and was subsequently found guilty and charged an $800 fine. Although not an official member of the government, the former minister continued to support Brison as an independent, on the condition that he be allowed to openly contest his party's nomination in his home riding once more, without interference. That very same year the province's immigration department was the subject of scandal surrounding its business mentorship program. Typically, applicants would pay $130,000 in exchange for a six-month work placement with a Nova Scotia business, with salary set at $20,000. Arguing that the program was not producing adequate results, the government scrapped it. Unfortunately for the Tories, more than a few people believed that the participants had not been given a fair return on their investment. A number of individuals had paid for a placement, but were forced to take a $100,000 refund instead, costing taxpayers approximately $60 million. With the added fact that Brison had decided to recommend MLA Jane Purves to the Senate, despite the objections of his colleagues, the Tories quickly found themselves in minority territory at a very dangerous time, with 26 for themselves, 23 for the opposition, and one apiece for the Speaker, who was bound to the Tories through both allegiance and tradition, Ernie Fage, who had been properly bribed, and the newly-minted Senator Purve’s now empty seat, which would be subsequently won by the opposition Liberals.

Diana Whalen had secured her party’s leadership in circumstances almost the opposite of Scott Brison. Her party had been relegated to third place, almost no one, aside from herself and and a handful of nobodies, had been interested in leading the party, and the Liberals were pretty broke. But, as the only Liberal elected in Halifax in the previous election, Whalen had commanded considerable influence, as well as the needed experience that Frank Mackenzie had lacked. Still, rebuilding the party hadn’t been an easy task. While providing various center-right policies of her own, including tax cuts and deregulation of the gas industry, Whalen offered voters an alternative to the NDP; essentially a PC government, minus all the scandals and dumb decisions. Even the NDP, who found themselves in a state of infighting over the direction of their party in the aftermath of their disappointing showing in the last campaign, attempted to follow the Liberals in adopting more conservative, fiscally-minded policies, to varying degrees of success.

Despite all their close calls, the government survived the full four years, and the campaign was called for April 13, 2010. From the outset it appeared to be a three-way contest, with polls conducted within the first few weeks showing the New Democrats at thirty-three percent, the Liberals at thirty-two, and the Progressive Conservatives with thirty-one. Fearful that they would lose their voters to the Liberals, the Tories focused a great deal of their attacks on the policies proposed by the New Democrats in an attempt to frighten voters back into their camp. Luckily for the Liberals, the Tories unrestricted warfare against the NDP only increased voter’s uneasiness in electing the party that had delivered Robert Chisholm to power years earlier. Thus, while the NDP were busy defending their pledges to reduce wait times and make sure emergency rooms remained open and deliver a balanced budget by 2011/2012, the Liberals introduced policy of their own without significant opposition or critique. Like Brison, Whalen promised to cut small business taxes in order to stimulate the economy. Unlike the Premier, however, the Liberal leader promised free tuition for over a hundred medical students if they agreed to work in the more under-served regions of the province. By time of the first leader’s debate voters had shifted in favor of the Liberals, awarding them a five-point lead over the Progressive Conservatives, all at the expense of the New Democrats, who found themselves unable to deliver on the specifics of their health care plan. With less than a week left in the campaign, the Tories were forced to shift tactics away from the threat of an NDP government, and instead on the possibility of a Liberal one. Radio ads and campaign leaflets were drafted portraying Whalen as just another Russell MacLellan, who had disastrously led the province for a single year in the mid-to-late 1990s. But twelve years on from MacLellan, the attacks felt stale.

Election Night was notable for a number of reasons. It was the first election since 1998 that a party in third place had been elected to government. It was also the first election since 1993 where the New Democrats had found themselves in third place, albeit narrowly. Diana Whalen was also the first woman Premier of Nova Scotia, as well as the first woman to defeat a sitting Premier and government. Despite the relative closeness in the popular vote, with the Liberals finishing only four percentage points ahead of the Tories, the formerly third-place party secured a bare majority of 27 seats. This would set the stage for a controversial Speaker election where NDP MLA Gordie Gosse would defy his party in order to secure the highly-paid position. The Liberals were back in power, and their enemies found themselves once again in the process of rebuilding. Darrell Dexter took the opportunity presented in his Election Night speech to announce his resignation as NDP leader, while Scott Brison took until the week after his defeat to do the same, with Karen Casey named his interim replacement.

XtBKBWW.png

Premiers of Nova Scotia:
John Savage (Liberal) 1993-1997
Russell MacLellan (Liberal) 1997-1998
Robert Chisholm (New Democratic) 1998-1999
John Hamm (Progressive Conservative) 1999-2006
Scott Brison (Progressive Conservative) 2006-2010
Diana Whalen (Liberal) 2010-

xn7iYNU.png

Yes, I know, depending on where you live I guess this could be considered an early morning update. I've got places to be today, so I'm going to have to post it now. Anyways, next week will be the 2010 Canadian federal election. Because I'm interested in getting to know my readership a little better, and I think it's long overdue that I start incorporating this back into my TL, I thought it would be fun to include a little poll. This poll will not impact the results of the write-up or outcome, rather simply give me a general idea as to the politics favoured by you the readers. Hope you're enjoying everything so far!

Last edited: