They could gain Thrace but any attempt to conquer Istanbul would be a unsuccessful bloodbath

Maybe not if the US government decides to send its full support especially if Greece’s new neighbors are communists? I don’t think the US is going to take the idea of a Communist-controlled Bosporus very lightly.

Actually no. Lets assume a Turkish civil war during the colonels junta, say in 1971 when the Turkish coup by memorandum took place. On the Greek side of the border the Papadopoulos regime is joined at the hip with the United States ( I won't go to whether the US had any connection to the 1967 coup, probably it did not. The fact remains that by 1971 the Nixon administration had very close ties to the regime) and the latter is not going to support anything of the short, if it somehow came to being. Second these are the same people that in 1974 left Cyprus on its own devices in the face of the Turkish invasion and in the ATL they'll dare launch an invasion of Turkey to gain what exactly? Several million Turks as subjects? While forgetting that general mobilizations puts in immediate threat their hold over the army? Not really likely. Taking advantage of the civil war to declare union with Cyprus is as far as they are going to go and would be more than sufficient by itself in terms of gaining them public support.

They could also use a propaganda campaign to remind Greeks of their past oppression and genoicde and the loss of Thrace and Constantinople and the western coast of Anatolia. I’d imagine that could rally some people up. And if the Turkish civil war gets messed up I won’t be surprised if the Greeks are able to exploit the advantage of the distraction of both parties. And like I mentioned the US is NOT going to like a Communist nation on the Mediterranean very much especially when it has NUKES in that country.

Also anyone who knows about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict knows that Greece would resort to practices that... well, let’s just say are better off not mentioned. That’s how they’d be able to secure their claims.

Last edited:
Maybe not if the US government decides to send its full support especially if Greece’s new neighbors are communists? I don’t think the US is going to take the idea of a Communist-controlled Bosporus very lightly.
The city population is too large for Greece to take , anytime post world war 2 its population is 12% of Greece's to larger then whole Greek population unless the US loans Greece some nukes its not happening

The city population is too large for Greece to take , anytime post world war 2 its population is 12% of Greece's to larger then whole Greek population unless the US loans Greece some nukes its not happening

Or they can.. well I can’t say it.

But honestly that regime will do anything to prove itself worthy of its people. And I don’t think the US will have any shame letting it go by.

Or they can.. well I can’t say it.
They'd have to take the city to ethnicity cleanse it , They could try starving the city out but I'm not sure if the Greek navy has the capacity to blockade the city and if the surrounding terrain can't be used to bombard the Greek fleet

They'd have to take the city to ethnicity cleanse it , They could try starving the city out but I'm not sure if the Greek navy has the capacity to blockade the city and if the surrounding terrain can't be used to bombard the Greek fleet

It would honestly be awful. They would most likely use poison gas and bombs. And it’s going to cause an international outcry.

It would honestly be awful. They would most likely use poison gas and bombs. And it’s going to cause an international outcry.
The smartest thing to do would be to seize all of Thrace but the city itself and build a lot of fortifications and defenses for the inevitable Turkish attempt to retake Thrace

Or also take the Turkish side if the Bosporus and surround it. Most likely they’ll ask Uncle Sam for deadly weaponry though.
unless they plan to starve the city out its pointless to try and surround it and there also the issue of international outcry the longer a siege goes on

But they most likely would.

It would be the humanitarian crisis of the century. Like Aleppo on a mountain of meth.
sanctions are a real possibly and OPEC would likely issue an oil embargo should the siege go on long enough . Seizing land from people the international community doesn't hate is best done fast . A long siege is not in Greece's interest

sanctions are a real possibly and OPEC would likely issue an oil embargo should the siege go on long enough . Seizing land from people the international community doesn't hate is best done fast . A long siege is not in Greece's interest

Well also because Greece wants this over it for the sake of time. I don’t think it matters either way.

Well not if the siege is done quickly and over with especially with American weapons. The US won’t be hesitant to back the Greeks up.
Unless they use nuclear weapons it won't be over quickly if your talking during the junta the city has population of 2,100,000 to Greece's 8,800,800. Unless communists are in control of turkey the US will not back them in a long siege and even if communists are in control of turkey . They will easily break the siege on the Asian side .

Unless they use nuclear weapons it won't be over quickly if your talking during the junta the city has population of 2,100,000 to Greece's 8,800,800. Unless communists are in control of turkey the US will not back them in a long siege and even if communists are in control of turkey . They will easily break the siege on the Asian side .

Like I said there are poison gas and other biological methods of warfare they can use. And the nuclear weapons would most likely be used in Western Anatolia. The US would not risk putting the cultural heritage of the city on line. They wouldn’t sink that low.

Like I said there are poison gas and other biological methods of warfare they can use.
Biological weapons will also get the Greeks and chemical weapons I don't believe Greece has them and they wouldn't have the ability to get the whole city and mass genocide will lead to sanctions and even military action