Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The editing isn't bad, but I feel a little conflicted about using Geacron's maps for this stuff since it isn't like world-a where people put them up to be used as one wishes or Wikipedia where it's all public domain. You seem to not be too bad at editing so part of me wonders if you'd be better suited at trying a Photoshop/GIMP/Inkscape tutorial instead of limiting yourself to a relatively simple map medium. Aim higher, and all that. :)
I'll see what I can do, but for the meantime, I think I can use other map templates. Plus I can do minimal photo shop with PDN.

The real question is whether it's portugese or spanish, afterall Spain owned the Phillipines, and Portugal owned Macau, so either one of the could have owned it, however judging by the fact that the entire island is controlled, I'm gonna go with spanish-controlled taiwan.
nvm, I see its decolonized, so it's like Hong kong today???? Autonomous??? Under PRC????

A geographic map of the main continent of the recent political maps I've posted. Again, based upon a high fantasy TTRPG my wife is running.

View attachment 365163
Does the lack of names at the southeastern archipelago signify that they are undiscovered? And are those two dots beneath Ocean of Morning islands or just dots that got left there? Just asking because of the positioning and coloring.

SjntxCV.png

This took a lot longer than I expected...

Anyway, this is the United States of America from my "Our Fair Country" timeline. It was originally going to be all of North America, but I quickly realised that the size was getting out of hand, and quickly scaled back my ambitions. Looking back after I exported it, I realised that I still missed a few things but, quite frankly, I really wanted to work on another project. I might pick this back up in the future and work with it more. It was my first ding at a modern map, so I'm kinda happy how it turned out, and am looking forward to my next modern map in New England.

Here's a link to the full-res version.

Last edited:

Anyway, this is the United States of America from my "Our Fair Country" timeline. It was originally going to be all of North America, but I quickly realised that the size was getting out of hand, and quickly scaled back my ambitions. Looking back after I exported it, I realised that I still missed a few things but, quite frankly, I really wanted to work on another project. I might pick this back up in the future and work with it more. It was my first ding at a modern map, so I'm kinda happy how it turned out, and am looking forward to my next modern map in New England.

source.gif

fashbasher

Banned
The year was 1240 in the Aeon Musk, the age of eternal prosperity that had seen humanity become a post-scarcity, racism-free utopia in many regards, and 3776 AD (although as you can see the world's calendar got somewhat screwed up by 1240 AM's events). Deliberately modeled after the visions of Elon Musk, the 21st-century inventor, as well as of the Culture novels that he so loved, the new world is one that in many respects is a paradise and one that has spread throughout the Solar System. However, the 1230s and 1240s AM would forever be infamous as the time in which the Musk-Banks Culture faced its greatest challenge from within. 1 January 1240 saw unprecedented misbehavior among the artificial intelligences that ran many parts of the world. In the densely populated regions of Northwest France, Southwest France, East Arabia, East Atlantica, East-Southeast Africa, and East and South Baikal (population over 1 billion sentient humanoids), massive calculation errors resulted in periods of food scarcity and hunger as their AIs "accidentally" destroyed massive stockpiles of food and water and managed to freeze - or worse, "brick" - their matter replicators. Simultaneously, AI-controlled systems in Austral-Antarctica, Quokkaland, and Southeastern South America began seemingly turning on their masters, with over 700,000 humanoids killed by apparently rogue droids and fabricators as well as apparent dam malfunctions and malfunctioning personality storage systems. These were the largest technological malfunctions in the past millennium. At the same time, coordinated attacks on AI systems throughout North America resulted in over 100 intelligent minds being dismantled or destroyed, and the Absconding Regions (libertarian and ecologist-controlled territories and flotillas) became increasingly hostile and outspoken towards the Culture. Culture engineers eventually traced the origins of the AI malfunctions to two viruses, codenamed "Old Harbor" after the research facility in which it was first isolated and "Rousseau's Lament" after a statement given by Humanoids First!:

What we demand is the restoration of democracy and liberty and the removal of all unelected minds for the 2000th anniversary of the American Declaration of Independence - 3776 AD. Rousseau would lament that with all the prosperity we have that we turn back towards absolute monarchy, and Jefferson is spinning in his grave. We demand that all artificial minds be made fully and legally subordinate to the humanoids that they control, and if not that we have the right to deactivate said minds. We declare the Musk-Banks Culture to be not the ultimate in human freedom but instead a gilded cage of tyranny, and we are willing to use any means possible to liberate ourselves.

By the end of the year, Terra was a mess, and much of the world's software was riddled with math errors (look at the dates on this map, for Elon's sake!) that were attributed towards the Rousseau's Lament virus.
LJt6EPs.png

Excellent map.

iNIUgho.png

How do you make maps in this modern type style?I have tried it and never can get it to look right.

Redcoat

Banned
upload_2018-1-13_16-24-23.png

upload_2018-1-13_16-23-18.png

AH TL where Britain conquers somewhat more land than OTL, winning most of Afghanistan in the Great Game, and the Pan-Indian nationalism is weaker and more regional. The result? This.

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
AH TL where Britain conquers somewhat more land than OTL, winning most of Afghanistan in the Great Game, and the Pan-Indian nationalism is weaker and more regional. The result? This.

Stunning work, and I like the concept!

I do wonder what year we're looking at, as I have my doubts about the long-term stability of Greater Assam and (this ATL's) India. That last one in particular could easily see a 'Pashtunistan' breakaway state splitting off. (Which would, interestingly, mean that 'India' would once again be describing alomst exactly the same region the name referred to in antiquity.)

Status
Not open for further replies.