Because there were a lot of internal tensions in Turkey during the Cold War period of the country, could it been possible a civil war could’ve broken out? I’d imagine that the left-leaning faction(s) would be supported by the USSR why the opposing faction(s) by the US and the Kurds would be supported by whoever. And Greece might try to take advantage of this by invading and annexing some of the territories, possibly take Cyprus.

Could a civil war in general occur? How would it occur especially when American nuclear weapons are located in that one country? And what would be the most likely outcomes?

Last edited:
You could have one of different Iraqi or Syrian governments co-op kurdish nationalism leading to massive Kurdish uprisings with large scale soviet support and friendly bases

You could have one of different Iraqi or Syrian governments co-op kurdish nationalism leading to massive Kurdish uprisings with large scale soviet support and friendly bases

The problem is though that the countries also own territories populated with the Kurds. If they do that they’re going to give their Kurdish constituents some ideas.

The problem is though that the countries also own territories populated with the Kurds. If they do that they’re going to give their Kurdish constituents some ideas.
Its not much of an issue if the goal of revolt is to unite the Kurdish areas with either Iraq or Syria and the majority of Kurds in either Iraq or Syria are content or supportive of the government

Its not much of an issue if the goal of revolt is to unite the Kurdish areas with either Iraq or Syria and the majority of Kurds in either Iraq or Syria are content or supportive of the government

Depending on the time frame. Ever since the 1990s the Syrian and Iraqi Kurds really started to feel that their Arab overlords overstayed their welcome. And even if Syria and Iraq do aim at destabilizing Turkey empowering the Kurds is the last thing they want to do especially if the independence movement gains support outside Turkey.

Did I miss something or has the Lukaskenko clone in Ankara defied the NPT to make Turkey a nuclear armed state?

He means US nukes stationed in Turkey. I don’t know how that would be handled - they might be moved out of country.

I don’t know too terribly much about Turkish internal politics, but I imagine that the PKK would get significant Soviet aid.

I feel like this one really has the potential to turn into WW3, given 1) Turkey’s status as a NATO member, 2) Turkey bordering the USSR, and 3) the ever-critical Bosphorous possibly being up for grabs.

I'm not super read up on this but i've heard that the kurdish dispute in turkey only really began to heat up in the 90s and that before that there was not as signficant a secession movement.

Did I miss something or has the Lukaskenko clone in Ankara defied the NPT to make Turkey a nuclear armed state?

No Turkey’s part of NATO which means that the US is able to place nukes in the country.

Which were (and still are) guarded by US personnel and supposed to be transferred to the host country only in very specific cases.

True enough, they weren't as closely guarded as one could imagine. Also I don't know if they had safeties as wonky as the 00000000 code in the Permissive Action Link.

Which makes me wonder what happens in the case of a civil war.

I'm not super read up on this but i've heard that the kurdish dispute in turkey only really began to heat up in the 90s and that before that there was not as signficant a secession movement.

There were Kurdish rebellions around the 1930s. I don’t see why the Kurds won’t use this opportunity to break away if Turkey falls under civil war.

Last edited:

PKK are Reds that should tell you that the Kurdish independence movement are far older than the 90ties.

ar-pharazon

Banned
There was the PKK and quite a few far left wing groups in Turkey-heck there is a continuing Maoist "insurgency" today(even if it counts for little). You have Islamist and far right Turkish nationalists, the army and the factions within the army.

So it seems to be a civil war is quite possible.

Might we see a Syrian intervention in Turkey? Or Armenia and Iraq biting of chunks?

James G

Gone Fishin'
The Kurdish separatist movement in Turkey certainly heated up in the early / mid 80s and some of that was caused by external events against Kurds in Iraq and Syria. Saddam and Assad were both cracking down hard and causing Kurds to flee north into Turkey.
I know this because I used it in my TL to greater effect but it was fact based.
Turkey has had a problem with Kurds who have justifiaby been rebelling since before the 90s.

There was the PKK and quite a few far left wing groups in Turkey-heck there is a continuing Maoist "insurgency" today(even if it counts for little). You have Islamist and far right Turkish nationalists, the army and the factions within the army.

So it seems to be a civil war is quite possible.

Might we see a Syrian intervention in Turkey? Or Armenia and Iraq biting of chunks?

USSR would most likely be the one biting chunks in Armenia’s place. And Syria could grab a chunk of southeastern Turkey. There’s a little panhandle mostly surrounded by Syria that the country has claimed for its own since independence. But other than that if Iraq and Syria were to try breaking off chunks they’d have the Kurds to deal with. They most likely would be involved suppressing Kurdish insurrection in their own backyards. Greece would be more willing then either of them to annex parts of Turkey.

Also I’m still wondering about NATO’s response considering that American nukes are in place in that country. If the country does go to civil war it’ll cause a crisis that’ll get the world scrambling.

The Kurdish separatist movement in Turkey certainly heated up in the early / mid 80s and some of that was caused by external events against Kurds in Iraq and Syria. Saddam and Assad were both cracking down hard and causing Kurds to flee north into Turkey.
I know this because I used it in my TL to greater effect but it was fact based.
Turkey has had a problem with Kurds who have justifiaby been rebelling since before the 90s.

If it does get more violent before then I could imagine it would affect the Syrian and Iraqi Kurds instead of the other way around. Probably will get both countries drawn into the conflict.

I'm surprised no one else here has talked about how Greece would've responded.

With horror as people flee the civil war by the tens or hundreds of thousands for Greece? Greece had no territorial ambitions in Turkey after 1922. There is the matter of Cyprus of course, any civil war before 1974 probably means peaceful union of Cyprus with Greece with relatively little fuss and the promise of future concessions to Turkey "after things stabilize". A civil war in 1975-1980 which probably is the window of highest probability given the troubles that led to the 1980 coup could potentially lead to trouble though particularly in Cyprus, with tensions extremely high and troops out of firm control due to the civil war on the Turkish side.

With horror as people flee the civil war by the tens or hundreds of thousands for Greece? Greece had no territorial ambitions in Turkey after 1922. There is the matter of Cyprus of course, any civil war before 1974 probably means peaceful union of Cyprus with Greece with relatively little fuss and the promise of future concessions to Turkey "after things stabilize". A civil war in 1975-1980 which probably is the window of highest probability given the troubles that led to the 1980 coup could potentially lead to trouble though particularly in Cyprus, with tensions extremely high and troops out of firm control due to the civil war on the Turkish side.

Greece was also controlled My a military dictatorship since 1967. Could it be possible for the country to find a good excuse to annex territory in Western Anatolia and Thrace? Maybe a campaign of regaining Constantinople would allow people to be willing to forget about how bad their government is?

Last edited:
Greece was also controlled My a military dictatorship since 1967. Could it be possible for the country to find a good excuse to annex territory in Western Anatolia and Thrace? Maybe a campaign of regaining Constantinople would allow people to be willing to forget about how bad their government is?
They could gain Thrace but any attempt to conquer Istanbul would be a unsuccessful bloodbath

Actually no. Lets assume a Turkish civil war during the colonels junta, say in 1971 when the Turkish coup by memorandum took place. On the Greek side of the border the Papadopoulos regime is joined at the hip with the United States ( I won't go to whether the US had any connection to the 1967 coup, probably it did not. The fact remains that by 1971 the Nixon administration had very close ties to the regime) and the latter is not going to support anything of the short, if it somehow came to being. Second these are the same people that in 1974 left Cyprus on its own devices in the face of the Turkish invasion and in the ATL they'll dare launch an invasion of Turkey to gain what exactly? Several million Turks as subjects? While forgetting that general mobilizations puts in immediate threat their hold over the army? Not really likely. Taking advantage of the civil war to declare union with Cyprus is as far as they are going to go and would be more than sufficient by itself in terms of gaining them public support.