Embrace the SUCK: Skallagrim's Unexpurgated Colour Key

The problem with that @GBehm is that China in particular has been divided dynastically throughout its history, not necessarily regionally, thus it may be easier to do it by the dynastic regions.

Skallagrim

Banned
The possibility of matching likely modern seccession candadates as secondary options for historic polities that roughly shared the same territorial location remains a possibility, but that's something that will take me a lot of time to get right. I'm not opposed to it, but I'll honestly admit it's not the first thing I'm eager to do.

I'd think there is a basis for making colours based on regions, given how a great many Chinese dynasties and states were named after historical regions during the warring states period.

Though of course, I do have a few extremely nitpicky recommendations for colours in China based on the current model:
  • The Qin Dynasty were edgy teens and loved the colour black, so I'd recommend a (even) darker colour for the Qin rather than the current darkish line.
  • The Ming meanwhile, when looking at royal portraits and clothing had this reddish-yellow aesthetic.
  • I've looked at way too many Qing maps to accept a Qing with any other colour than Green, but I'll just saythat the Qing had a gold-blue aesthetic. Court officials wore blue, signposts in the Forbidden City are blue, and the blue dragon signifies luck or something on the imperial standard.

There's a Chinese belief that each Dynasty has a corresponding element, as wikipedia says:
wiki said:
黃帝(土)→夏(金)→商(水)→周(木)→漢(火,午祖戌臘。)[5]→曹魏(水,未祖丑臘)[6];

一直到元代皆採此說:

漢(火)→曹魏(土)→晉(金)→北魏(水)→北周(木)→隋(火)→唐(土[7],唐代以褚色為貴,戌祖辰臘)[8]→後梁、後晉(金)→後漢(水)→後周(木)→宋(火,午祖戌臘)[9]→金(土)

元(金)→明(火)→清(水)
There isn't an English page on the wiki, so I'll translate this later today when I get the time.

Looks like a few ideas I had have already been mentioned, I do have two other ones: State of Counani and United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves. Concerning Portugal-Brazil, you don't even need to add a new color for it, you can link it with the Portuguese Empire-in-Exile color since it appears in both the Brazil section and the Iberia section. The same can go for Counani, it can be linked with the Brazilian Guyana color as it appears in the same area as it.

Well then, onto Africa
1) Could be good to have a color code for a United States of xxxxx Africa (so North, South, East, West)- inspired by the fact you have a West African Empire, but not democratic equivalent it looks like
2) Perhaps some more central African Kingdoms/ Tribes could be represented, as EU4 e.g. represents they were numerous -> https://i.imgur.com/EqLfHFP.jpg or in a more official map
centralafrica_copy6.jpg

(found here https://www.timemaps.com/history/central-africa-1789ad/ , also has other eras, so could be a reasonable reasource to check countries existances and such like)

otherwise i think things look decent, I hope that ^ becomes useful, best of luck and keep on going on the key, it is awesome
from ML8991

Well then, onto Africa
1) Could be good to have a color code for a United States of xxxxx Africa (so North, South, East, West)- inspired by the fact you have a West African Empire, but not democratic equivalent it looks like
2) Perhaps some more central African Kingdoms/ Tribes could be represented, as EU4 e.g. represents they were numerous -> https://i.imgur.com/EqLfHFP.jpg or in a more official map
centralafrica_copy6.jpg

(found here https://www.timemaps.com/history/central-africa-1789ad/ , also has other eras, so could be a reasonable reasource to check countries existances and such like)

otherwise i think things look decent, I hope that ^ becomes useful, best of luck and keep on going on the key, it is awesome
from ML8991
That's such a beautiful map of Africa, I think I might cry. :tiredface:

tis me, ML8991 back with another review/ discussion points, this time Anatolia/ Middle East

1) Is other turkish country in Anatolia supposed to be a sub for any other beliyks/ small anatolian sultanates?
2) Is Byzantion your version of a Anatolian relegated Romano-Greek Empire state?
3) I take it Babylonia in your eyes could be used for an Middle East Union state?
4) Maybe add some keys in for some of the smaller Emirates in the UAE, given they haven't been unified that long? Could likewise for some of the bigger beliyks perhaps?
5) Need an Blue and White Horde, or at least some way to show the district nature of the Golden Horde beyond shading
6) Maybe make an Alternative Pakistan, such as an Alt. faith one?

I think that's all of my Qs/Points, hope these help

best wishes and keep up the good work Skallagrim
from ML8991

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
"Spamming" with helpful suggestions is not a problem. That said, while I've added the communist additions to my list, revising the Jamaica colour isn't very high on my list of priorities. ;)

Deleted member 105545

"Spamming" with helpful suggestions is not a problem. That said, while I've added the communist additions to my list, revising the Jamaica colour isn't very high on my list of priorities. ;)
Thank You! Also, can Austria be white?

*looks at OP*

One question, what color do I use for a sci-fi ASB takeover *of* 1960's Greece?

The scheme also lacks lots of colors for types of anarchism. (Anarcho-Feminist is something I'm looking for.)

Also missing colouring the nazi's as R=191 is a shame.

Last edited:

Deleted member 105545

Also, You should consider switching the North Australia color with the Regular Australian color.
Last one, Could you "turn down" the color of the PRC? After working in it, when I looked away everything looked green. It's so saturated it hurts my eyes.

I just wanted to say that I really like your color scheme. It covers a great variety of countries and whatnot. It works well for the maps I'm currently making.

Also, here's the USA with the colors of the states.

suckusa_by_sirion101-dc25t3a.png