The Universal Religious Colour Scheme (TURCS without Caicos)

Crescent of the Saracens, Descripition
will arrive in due time.
For now, The Pagans of the World, Divide work in progress.
Dunno if I should give each of the North American mythologies a colour though. Haven´t touched Africa yet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mytho...cas#Algonquian_(northeastern_US,_Great_Lakes)

My Excel table showing colours, so that I dont duplicate them
upload_2017-12-29_21-56-26.png

Showing the HLS: Hue being the horizontal axis, Saturation the vertical, and lightness being written behind the colour.
Pagans.png

So at least some Europe, Northern Asia and the New world

Would be very helpful, e.g. in an Islamwank scenario.
There are literally tons of them. My table should allow me to represent a total of 2601 denominations. I see quite a lot of it filled without touching Christianity, or Asia, but there is still quite a few colours in the green muslim area.

I would pick perhaps three for now, but which ones?

Last edited:
Pagans of the World Divide, Description
DRUIDRY
Key deities: Teuthates, Cernunnos, Lugus
Key locations: Stonehenge, Anglesey,Lyon
Liturgical language:Gaulish, Brythonic, Gaelic
ZAMOLXIAN
Key deities: Zamolxis
Key locations: Sarmizegethusa
Liturgical language:Dacian
RODNOVERY
Key deities: Perun
Key locations: Arkona,Novgorod, Kiev
Liturgical language:Old Slavic

And Yet Another Schism, Description
Gentile Christianity
Separated from: main branch of Christianity, founded by Paul
Key locations: Antioch, Ephesus, Jerusalem, Rome, Damascus
Liturgical language: Koiné Greek, Aramaic
Authority: Apostles, Patriarch of Antioch, Patriarch of Rome
Jewish Christianity
Separated from: Judaism
Key locations: Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth
Liturgical language: Palestinian Aramaic
Authority: Patriarch of Jerusalem
Samaritan Christianity
Separated from: Samaritanism
Key locations: Gerizim, Capernaum, Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Samaritan Aramaic
Authority:
Valentinian
Separated from: Gentile Christianity, Gnosticism
Key locations: Alexandria, Rome, Cyprus
Liturgical language:
Authority: Church of Aeons
Appollinarian
Separated from: Gentile Christianity
Key locations: Antioch, Laodicea (Lattakia), Jerusalem, Rome
Liturgical language: Koiné Greek
Authority: Appollinarian Congregation
Patripassian
Key locations:
Liturgical language:
Authority: Patripassian Patriarchy
Donatism
Key locations: Carthage, Rome, Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Latin, African, Punic, Berber
Authority: Patriarch of Carthage
Priscillianist
Key locations: Ávila, Toledo, Rome, Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Latin, Early Spanish
Authority:Bishop of Ávila
Arianism
Separated from: Gentile Christianity at Council of Niceae
Key locations: Alexandria,Sirmium, Milan, Ceasarea, Durosotrum
Liturgical language: Coptic, Gothic, Koiné Greek
Authority: Arian Papacy
Ebionites
Separated from: Jewish Christianity
Key locations:Jerusalem, Damascus, Sinai, Dhofar, Antioch
Liturgical language: Palestinian Aramaic, Hejazi Arabic
Authority: Ebionite Church (Patriarchate of Jerusalem)
Pelagian
Key locations: Iona, Landisfarne, Dyfed, Inse Gall, Ormond, Canterbury
Liturgical language: Brythonic, Gaelic, Britannian
Authority: Pelagian Bishop, Bishop of Iona
Nicene
Separated from: Gentile Christianity at Council of Niceae
Key locations: Rome, Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Seleucia-Ctesiphon
Liturgical language: Koiné Greek, Aramaic, Coptic, Latin
Authority: The Patriarchates of Rome, Antioch, Alexandria and Seleucia-Ctesiphon
Nestorian
Separated from: Nicene at Ephesus and Chalcedon
Key locations: Seleucia-Ctesiphon, Assur, Edessa, Jerusalem, Antioch, Rayy,Merv, Mahoyadapuram
Liturgical language: Syriac, (Sogdian)
Authority: Patriarch of the East (Seleucia-Ctesiphon)
Chalcedonian
Separated from: Nicene at Chalcedon
Key locations: Roma, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Latin, Koiné Greek,
Authority: The Pentarchy
Myaphisite
Separated from:Nicene
Key locations: Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, Axum, Ghazali (Echmidzin)
Liturgical language: Coptic, Syriac, Armenian, Ge´ez
Authority: Coptic Pope, Patriarch of Antioch
Monotheletism
Separated from: Chalcedonian, 3rd Constantinople council
Key locations: Antioch, Jerusalem, Bkerke
Liturgical language: Western Aramaic
Authority: Maronite Patriarch
Catholicism
Separated from: Chalcedonian, by the Great Schism
Key locations: Rome, Santiago, Avignon, Hippo, Jerusalem, Cologne
Liturgical language: Latin
Authority: Pope in Rome
Fraticelli
Separated from: Catholicism
Key locations: Rome, Assissi, ...
Liturgical language: Latin
Authority: Fraticelli Pope
Cathars
Separated from: Catholicism, under influence of Bogomilism
Key locations: Albi, Montségur, Carcassonne, Béziers
Liturgical language: Occita
Authority: Cathar papa(s)
Waldensians
Separated from: Catholicism, by Peter Waldo
Key locations: Lyons, Susa
Liturgical language: Franco-Provencal
Authority: Majoralis omnium
Lollardy
Separated from: Catholicism, by John Wycliffe
Key locations: Oxford, Canterbury, York, Lincoln
Liturgical language: English
Authority: ?
Orthodoxy
Separated from: Chalcedonian, by the Great Schism
Key locations: Constantinople, Mt. Athos, Ephesus, Antioch ,Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Greek, later Georgian and Old Church Slavonic as well
Authority: Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, patriarchs in Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, later Kiev, Mtsketa and Ohrid
Paulician
Separated from: Orthodox
Key locations: Samosata, Kibossa, Amamalis, Tephrike
Liturgical language: Greek, late Anatolian
Authority: Paulician Patriarchate
Bogomilism
Separated from: Paulician
Key locations: Ohrid, Pliska, Visoko,Vidin
Liturgical language: Old Church Slavonic
Authority: ?
Iconoclast
Separated from: Orthodox
Key locations:Constantinople, Ephesus, Mt. Athos,Antioch ,Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Greek
Authority: (iconoclast) Ecumenical Patriarch
Maronites
Separated from: possibly successor to Monothelites
Key locations: Bkerke, Antioch, Tripoli, Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Syriac
Authority: Maronite Patriarch (claimant to Antioch)
Coptic Orthodox Church
Separated from: part of Myaphyiste communion
Key locations: Alexandria, Cairo, Minya, Qasr Ibrim, Ghazali, Axum
Liturgical language: Coptic
Authority: Coptic Pope of Alexandria
Syriac Jacobite Church
Separated from: part of Myaphysite communion
Key locations: Antioch, Mor Hananoyo Monastery, Edessa, Jerusalem, Tagrit (Tikrit) , Nisibis
Liturgical language: Syriac
Authority: Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch, maphrian of Tagrit
Armenian Apostolic Church
Separated from: part of Mayphysite communion, previously subject to Antioch
Key locations: Dwin, Echmiadzin, Sis, Jerusalem
Liturgical language: Armenian
Authority: Catholicos of Armenia, Catholicos of Cilicia, (Armenian)Patriarch of Jerusalem, (Armenian ) Patriarch of Cosntantinople
Church of the East
Separated from: Nicene at Ephesus and Chalcedon
Key locations: Seleucia-Ctesiphon, Assur, Edessa, Jerusalem, Antioch, Rayy,Merv, Mahoyadapuram
Liturgical language: Syriac, (Sogdian)
Authority: Patriarch of the East (Seleucia-Ctesiphon)

Last edited:
A minor thing: Maronites and Monothelites have little in common, so they wouldn't have the same patriarch

You are missing a few of the big heresies upon further inspextion:
Pneumatomachians/Macedonians: founded by Macedonius, believed the Holy Spirit was created by the Father and the Son and was therefore subservient to them.

Origenism: founded by Origen, followers or Origen's unorthodox views such as the salvation of all souls.

Hyper-Arianism: Make no mistake, this sect was quite distinct from the Arians. While the followers of Arius believed that Christ was created by God the Father and was thus subservient to God the Father but was still made of the same essence as God the Father, hyper-Arians believed that Christ was created with a lesser essence, thus marking themselves as a position between classical Arianism and adoptionism.

Antinomians: believed they no longer had to follow any of the mosaic laws after Christ. Infamous for their hedonism.

Agonistici/Circumcellians: Military order of the Donatists that prized martyrdom above all else and even begged for it. Enforced the Donatists will on the populace of Donatists possessions.

You are missing a few of the big heresies upon further inspextion:
Pneumatomachians/Macedonians: founded by Macedonius, believed the Holy Spirit was created by the Father and the Son and was therefore subservient to them.

Origenism: founded by Origen, followers or Origen's unorthodox views such as the salvation of all souls.

Hyper-Arianism: Make no mistake, this sect was quite distinct from the Arians. While the followers of Arius believed that Christ was created by God the Father and was thus subservient to God the Father but was still made of the same essence as God the Father, hyper-Arians believed that Christ was created with a lesser essence, thus marking themselves as a position between classical Arianism and adoptionism.

Antinomians: believed they no longer had to follow any of the mosaic laws after Christ. Infamous for their hedonism.

Agonistici/Circumcellians: Military order of the Donatists that prized martyrdom above all else and even begged for it. Enforced the Donatists will on the populace of Donatists possessions.
Pneumatomachians: will be included , therefore
Origenism: could be included as well
Hyper-Arian :are theycso distinct from Arianism to deserve a separate colour? Also what about Adoptionism?
Antinomians: wait isn't it already divided into Marcionism and Nicolaotans? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinomianism
Circumcellians: agreed they will be the Military Order for the Donatists. Should I also include military orders for other denominations, crossposted from CK2:
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Holy_orders, such as Holy Sepulchre, Saint Anthony and Saint Addai?

Pneumatomachians: will be included , therefore
Origenism: could be included as well
Hyper-Arian :are theycso distinct from Arianism to deserve a separate colour? Also what about Adoptionism?
Antinomians: wait isn't it already divided into Marcionism and Nicolaotans? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinomianism
Circumcellians: agreed they will be the Military Order for the Donatists. Should I also include military orders for other denominations, crossposted from CK2:
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Holy_orders, such as Holy Sepulchre, Saint Anthony and Saint Addai?

They are. In fact, I messed up, the true name of the Hyper-Arian heresy is Anomoeanism, and Aetius of Antioch and Arius' successors actually had a good bit of beef between each other.

Marcionism from what I understand is far more important for it's rather alien quasi-Gnosticism that could have created an entirely different Christianity than it's antinomianism, i.e. it was more antisemitic than antinomian. The Nicolatians do fall under this, but considering that there were various accusations of Antinomianism throughout the middle ages, it is not implausible for there to be a "resurgent Antinomianist" movement.

The problem with the military orders from CKII is that they are honestly rather fictional. The Order of the Holy Sepulchre was a Catholic holy order. The closest thing the Orthodox had to an international Orthodox holy order was the (awesomely-named) Order of the Dragon, and even then it was more ecumenical than Orthodox. Arguably, this is because of the close synergy of church and state in the Eastern Roman empire resulting in the Eastern Roman Imperial army being the Orthodox holy order, but that is subjective. The Oriental Orthodox communion overall did not have any military order. This is the same with the Church of the East (AKA the Nestorian Church). Honestly, I'd just have "Exotic holy order color 1, 2, 3, etc"

If you need help thinking of fictional heresies, I could help too.

EDIT: One last heresy that is worth mentioning is the Angelicii, or Angel Worshipers. While they didn't get too far IRL, the heresy has potential to crop up throughout the middle ages, especially if it breaks from a group that rejects, say, the Book of Revelation.

They are. In fact, I messed up, the true name of the Hyper-Arian heresy is Anomoeanism, and Aetius of Antioch and Arius' successors actually had a good bit of beef between each other.

Marcionism from what I understand is far more important for it's rather alien quasi-Gnosticism that could have created an entirely different Christianity than it's antinomianism, i.e. it was more antisemitic than antinomian. The Nicolatians do fall under this, but considering that there were various accusations of Antinomianism throughout the middle ages, it is not implausible for there to be a "resurgent Antinomianist" movement.

The problem with the military orders from CKII is that they are honestly rather fictional. The Order of the Holy Sepulchre was a Catholic holy order. The closest thing the Orthodox had to an international Orthodox holy order was the (awesomely-named) Order of the Dragon, and even then it was more ecumenical than Orthodox. Arguably, this is because of the close synergy of church and state in the Eastern Roman empire resulting in the Eastern Roman Imperial army being the Orthodox holy order, but that is subjective. The Oriental Orthodox communion overall did not have any military order. This is the same with the Church of the East (AKA the Nestorian Church). Honestly, I'd just have "Exotic holy order color 1, 2, 3, etc"
If you need help thinking of fictional heresies, I could help too.

EDIT: One last heresy that is worth mentioning is the Angelicii, or Angel Worshipers. While they didn't get too far IRL, the heresy has potential to crop up throughout the middle ages, especially if it breaks from a group that rejects, say, the Book of Revelation.

What I understand from the wikipedia it says that anomianism means that a group intentionally rejects any socila, moral or religious norms, be it of whatever denomination. There were some movements in early Christianity who rejected these norms (whom I mentioned), and then some Lutherans, Calvinists, and Quakers rejected the norms However, I fail to see Antinomianism as a unfied movement with some people openly identifiying with Antinomianism as a denomination.

Angelici, sounds similar to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazdânism.
Fictional sects : could be added, but the real ones will have to get colour first.
Regarding the names of non-Catholic military orders, I would just write into the key:
Orthodox mil. order (e.g. Brotherhood of the holy Sepulchre/ Order of the Dragon)
Myaphysite mil. order (e.g. Knights of St. Anthony)