A German-American Colonial War

Is this a good POD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
September 6th, 1901

Temple of Music, Buffalo, New York

1606 Hours

Leon Czolgolz scratched his wrist as he approached McKinley. He put on a blank expression and walked up to the president. The president turned and extended his hand to Czolgolz, offering it to him. Czolgolz raised his right hand and pulled the trigger of the pistol under the handkerchief.

The gun clicked.

The president heard this, and before Czolgolz could cock the revolver again, he yelled.

"Detain this man!"

At this, Czolgolz was mobbed by the president's bodyguards. The pistol was wrestled away from his hands, and he was led away from the building.

Disaster averted.

Last edited:
June 9th, 1904

Berlin, Germany

1020 Hours

Wilhelm II and two of his advisors pored over a map. General Schlieffen was on the Kaiser's left, and Admiral Tirpitz was on his right.

"Mein Kaiser," Tirpitz said, "this plan is mad! The Americans would never cede the old Spanish posessions!"

"I know that, Alfred," the Kaiser said, using Tirpitz’s given name, "that is part of my plan."

After some deliberation, the men decided to send an ultimatum to Washington: Relinquish the Philippines, or have them taken.

It arrived the week after.

Last edited:

nbcman

Donor
How many PODs are you planning for? You have at least two deviations from OTL in two posts. Maximilian von Spee wasn't an Admiral in 1904-he was a Fregattenkapitan (Commander) and would be far too junior to be meeting with the Kaiser. Admiral Tirpitz would probably be a better fit as he was the State Secretary of the Imperial Naval Office in 1904.

How many PODs are you planning for? You have at least two deviations from OTL in two posts. Maximilian von Spee wasn't an Admiral in 1904-he was a Fregattenkapitan (Commander) and would be far too junior to be meeting with the Kaiser. Admiral Tirpitz would probably be a better fit as he was the State Secretary of the Imperial Naval Office in 1904.
Thank you for this information

I got Tirpitz and Spee confused

What do you suggest?

Actual German warplans that Holger Herwig discovered in an archive in Berlin called for invasions of the US East Coast around New York and Boston to create a lodgement that would be difficult for the US to push back and would force the US to negotiate some sort of settlement that involved the US giving up some of its new found gains from the Spanish American War. How serious the Germans were about these plans is open to debate, militaries plan all sorts of things but it shows you how they were thinking to some extent. https://www.amazon.com/Politics-fru...&qid=1512651285&sr=1-6&keywords=holger+herwig

There is this:

https://www.amazon.com/1901-Robert-Conroy/dp/0891418431

I read that book, I was trying not to copy Conroy

No problem, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the what their actual warplans were. Instead of the Philippines which are kind of a big target, what about gunning for island possessions like Samoa, Puerto Rico, and even Hawaii? The plan would be to take all three and then negotiate a settlement where the Germans give back Puerto Rico out of "respect" for the Monroe Doctrine or some such nonsense?

No problem, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the what their actual warplans were. Instead of the Philippines which are kind of a big target, what about gunning for island possessions like Samoa, Puerto Rico, and even Hawaii? The plan would be to take all three and then negotiate a settlement where the Germans give back Puerto Rico out of "respect" for the Monroe Doctrine or some such nonsense?

Just wait

It’ll be good

It's just a little early for the British empire to be licking their lips at a German American war.

June 16th, 1904

The White House, Washington, D.C.

0134 Hours

The aide timidly approached the president's bedchamber, the telegram in hand. He knocked on the door, and got a slurred response.

"Whasit at this hour?"

"Sir, there's a telegram for you."

McKinley grunted, and the frightened aide slid the telegram under the door before shuffling off. McKinley flipped on a lamp and walked to the door. He bent down and picked up the telegram.

He nearly fainted when he read the contents.

It was an ultimatum sent by the German government, demanding that the United States relinquish its hold on the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Subic Bay and Manila in the Philippines to Germany. If these demands were not met, the Germans would use force to take them.

McKinley got on the phone with the Secretary of War immediately.

What do you suggest?

Have discussed occasionally a pre 1898 connection between Spain and Germany. German investment in the residual Spanish empire, then a military alliance aimed at France but bringing them into war with the US in 1898.

Your does have the advantage from Germany having a better blue water fleet a few years later.

June 16th, 1904

The War Department, Washington, D.C.

0202 Hours

Within half an hour of the president receiving the German ultimatum, he had alerted the Department of War and the Department of State of the dire situation. The navy's Caribbean squadron was put on high alert, and the Asiatic squadron was dispatched to Manila. McKinley called an emergency cabinet meeting to discuss courses of action.

It was decided to refuse the ultimatum, an obvious course of action.

McKinley addresses the nation at noon.

June 16th, 1904

Berlin, Germany

1402 Hours

A terrified young man from the Reichstag approached General Schlieffen's aide with the telegram from Washington. The aide looked down at the jittery man before him, and signalled that he should put the telegram in General Schlieffen's mailbox.

An Hour later, Schlieffen returned to his office after a meeting. He checked his mailbox, and opened the telegram. He clicked his tongue as he read it. He found the Kaiser in his office, and notified him of the American response to the ultimatum. The Kaiser merely smiled.

"Alfred, you know this was what I intended?"

"Yes, mein Kaiser, you told Admiral Tirpitz and I this a week ago."

"Yes, Alfred, I did."

Later that day, the German Far East squadron was dispatched to the Philippines, and the Baltic squadron was sent south. It would refuel at the Canaries, then continue on to the Caribbean. Thirty Divisions were moved onto ships in the Baltic ports, and German marines prepared for an assault on Subic bay.

Germany was ready for war.

Last edited: