The VT-BAM project

I think we're doing the administrative ones.
Edit: I'm actually not entirely sure, I can't find any information on how to tell and the data doesn't specify.
Can you tell from what is currently drawn?
I'll send you a render of what I currently have in a few minutes.
Edit2: I'm an idiot, they are definitely the municipal raions

Last edited:
I've redone the districts of Malta
Malta nuovo.png

I've redone the districts of Malta
View attachment 357597

Except, these are not administrative divisions. The first level of division in Maltese government (since 1993) are the 68 local councils (which are used for the ISO 3166-2:MT standard).

Malta was also divided into a number of regions (three from 1993-2009; five from 2009-present). These have committees, but if they have administrative functions, it isn't admitted in any official text. These have no powers unless there is a unanimous agreement by the constituent councils to transfer specific devolved powers "upwards". According to this article, "So far, the Local Enforcement System and street lighting have been devolved to the Regional Committees. Management of regional libraries is also planned to be devolved." I'm not sure the authority responsible for street lighting, parking tickets, and libraries is a meaningful administrative division.

There are six districts, which exist solely for statistical purposes.

There are thirteen electoral districts, which are used solely for general elections, and have no administrative function (Malta uses STV voting for this, with multiple seats in each of these 13 constituencies).

Prior to 1993, there were no local government divisions at all. (https://portal.cor.europa.eu/divisionpowers/countries/MembersNLP/Malta/Pages/default.aspx)

Properly, the 68 local councils are the top level division. Arguably, the 5 (or 3) regions could be drawn as top-level, with local councils second. There is no situation in which the districts would be appropriate to draw as administrative divisions.

1280px-Malta_-_administrative_division.svg.png

Except, these are not administrative divisions. The first level of division in Maltese government (since 1993) are the 68 local councils (which are used for the ISO 3166-2:MT standard).

Malta was also divided into a number of regions (three from 1993-2009; five from 2009-present). These have committees, but if they have administrative functions, it isn't admitted in any official text. These have no powers unless there is a unanimous agreement by the constituent councils to transfer specific devolved powers "upwards". According to this article, "So far, the Local Enforcement System and street lighting have been devolved to the Regional Committees. Management of regional libraries is also planned to be devolved." I'm not sure the authority responsible for street lighting, parking tickets, and libraries is a meaningful administrative division.

There are six districts, which exist solely for statistical purposes.

There are thirteen electoral districts, which are used solely for general elections, and have no administrative function (Malta uses STV voting for this, with multiple seats in each of these 13 constituencies).

Prior to 1993, there were no local government divisions at all. (https://portal.cor.europa.eu/divisionpowers/countries/MembersNLP/Malta/Pages/default.aspx)

Properly, the 68 local councils are the top level division. Arguably, the 5 (or 3) regions could be drawn as top-level, with local councils second. There is no situation in which the districts would be appropriate to draw as administrative divisions.

1280px-Malta_-_administrative_division.svg.png
Ah ok, I did again the divisions because I saw that the 2011 census used different geographic units, but I think that drawing the 68 local councils is quite impossible. I think I'll leave Malta as it actually is, since districts are the only used in statistics.

Guys is it possible to convert the physical map into a grey key heightmap including the sea height? I can convert it in a Minecraft world, with 1 pixel being 1 block, it would be cool :)
By the way, I am redoing Spain's borders using @Klime's overlays:
upload_2017-11-29_15-45-3.png

Last edited:
(Or as using the federal districts for Russian top-level)

Even Russian federal districts have more administrative meaning than the Maltese statistical districts, in that they have someone specifically appointed as a representative of the president to that federal district. Maltese districts don't even have that.

VT45

Banned
Took a long ass time, but I've finished the first tile of the Americas. If anyone wants to attempt the municipalities, be my guest.
BeOt7WE.png

VT45

Banned
Here's how I did it:
1. Take the water overlay and add the borders according to FrankCesco's method.
2. Remove all superfluous black pixels by repeated Gaussian blurs of one pixel around the water (and on subsequent steps, the borders which I recoloured as I went so they could be picked up).
3. Apply the FrankCesco method to each level of division one by one, starting with nations and working down.

Here's how I did it:
1. Take the water overlay and add the borders according to FrankCesco's method.
2. Remove all superfluous black pixels by repeated Gaussian blurs of one pixel around the water (and on subsequent steps, the borders which I recoloured as I went so they could be picked up).
3. Apply the FrankCesco method to each level of division one by one, starting with nations and working down.
Great! So I guess that the map could be finished in so less time :D My method is more useful than I thought xP

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
When you guys do the former Yugoslavia, can you show Bosnia's municipalities?

EDIT: Never mind. Found them.

Last edited:
Where did you post it?
Here it is (gifs allowed only a limited amount of frames, so I uploaded a video)
https://streamable.com/0jd49
Here!
Not necessarily. I can transform it easily from one to the other in QGIS.

Also, @FrankCesco: is there a way to adapt this to doing internal borders? Cos that would make life a lot easier.
I just realized how early as one month ago @VT45 already thought a way to do internal divisions, sorry but I didn't read that message tbh XD

VT45

Banned
Oh it definitely is. It's just that the municipalities in some regions in Klime's overlays are very hard to discern. Hence my saying if someone else wants to attempt it to go right ahead. I've got the file if you want it.