The VT-BAM project

I'll do them then, I've just been doing the area around the Pechora river which is definitely as bad. The Ob, Yenisei and Lena are what I'm worried about.

ST15RM

Banned
Here
swden.png

The Pieman

Banned
Can someone please give the map of Australia (not with anything, only the base without borders) so I can create the map for it.

upload_2017-11-26_4-35-35.png

Short break from Russia due to Komi Republic shaped nightmares
Jammu and Kashmir + disputed areas along the Indian border
upload_2017-11-26_4-5-20.png

It's quite interesting to white out the background then overlay the topographic map with blending set to multiply and see how the borders interact with the terrain.
upload_2017-11-26_4-32-15.png

I'll do Xinjiang and Tibet soon if I have time (should have a better idea of this soon), I'm curious to see them like this.
Can someone please give the map of Australia (not with anything, only the base without borders) so I can create the map for it.
It's in this post

Could someone drop an outline crop of India in the thread please? I tried doing it myself but the full Europe-to-India map crashed.

Oh and I've redone the Sri Lankan lakes from a better source.

Sri Lanka VT-BAM.png

ST15RM

Banned
So, @ Klime Im gonna take a lil break from Sweden because too much lakes. But I’ll still do it. I am now gonna work on Russia. Do you want me to do Komi Republic cause it seems like you’re havin a difficult time.

But my main focus is Siberia and more specifically...

Tannu Tuva.

I've got it mostly drawn now, I have an idea to allow you to do stuff that is not currently mapped.
Add the overlay to the map.
Expand the map eastwards by 1 tiles worth of pixels.
Use a corner of the previous overlay to position the full thing.
I've also made the overlays for most of Siberia now so I'll send you them in a bit.

Yeesh, hadn't realised how bad the original distortion on the Southern border of Switzerland was @Klime (and I'd spotted something was off).

Have you been able to determine exactly where the limits of the distortions lie @Klime?

Also Britain appears to be one pixel longer on the overlay than the coastline export from earlier.

Yeesh, hadn't realised how bad the original distortion on the Southern border of Switzerland was @Klime (and I'd spotted something was off).

Have you been able to determine exactly where the limits of the distortions lie @Klime?

Also Britain appears to be one pixel longer on the overlay than the coastline export from earlier.
The current overlays should be as accurate as is possible at this resolution regarding position. Any remaining errors are in the data itself.
It looks like the coastline data used to create the basemap was a bit lower quality than the height data itself (especially Greenland and the northern coasts) and may have been slightly distorted too.
In terms of the original overlay the distortions came from it not being exact, it needed manual positioning and was not rendered at any particular resolution in relation to the basemap
This meant that I had to effectively try and resize the overlays using reference points which wasn't really very reliable. Though it looked perfect, until I was trying to combine some into a complete overlay of Siberia and noticed that the reference points were making multiple images that were the same resolution into different resolution images.
And with the revelation that the coasts weren't all correct that means that the reference points were not all reliable in the first place.

Also make sure that you're using VT45's 3x2 tile maps to line up the tiles, If they won't load tell me and I'll send you some pre overlaid cutouts
Also make sure to use the water overlay for coastline adjustments, it's more accurate than the administrative one.

Separate question,
How should I depict the Nenets Autonomous Okrug,
It is apparently a Federal subject (first level) and has second and third level divisions,
but it is apparently also part of Archangelsk Oblast.
Should i depict it as a second level division of Archangelsk and offset it's divisions down a level,
should I depict it as just it's divisions within Archangelsk, or should I depict it as a separate first level division?

Edit:
The 8291 pixel boundary of the Komi republic has been redrawn and completed
It has an area of over 1100000 pixels
Searching for the 10 random missing pixels was not fun
upload_2017-11-28_0-45-43.png

Last edited:

VT45

Banned
When there’s a discrepancy between the coastal tiles and Klime’s overlays, go with Klime.

upload_2017-11-29_7-17-43.png

Archangelsk Oblast
upload_2017-11-29_7-18-37.png

Komi Republic (Raions only for now)
upload_2017-11-29_7-18-49.png

Redrawn borders and lakes for the Baltic and Belarus
upload_2017-11-29_7-58-45.png

Russian autonomous okrugs are typically depicted as first-level divisions.

Source: am Russian
Thanks. Would you be able to help me find data for the selsovets of the Komi Republic and the Nenets Autonomous Okrug, Unfortunately the data is incomplete and there are several raions that are without coverage. I tried throwing translated Russian into Google but without any understanding of Cyrillic or Russian it was hopeless.

Last edited: