Chapter 30
Chapter 30
February 16, 1984
New York City, NY

There was a major chill in the air, and it wasn't just the weather. The City That Never Sleeps was on edge. The 42nd Infantry Division was formed up, and the New York Guard was in the streets. The CPUSA had been arrested and raided. Al Sharpton and company were in the streets protesting that they would be left for dead in a nuclear attack. The news headquarters for every network was in New York City, and the anchors for those networks had been running ragged with all of the breaking news in the past few weeks. CBS had asked Walter Cronkite, still employed as a "special correspondent," to come in and take over some coverage so Dan Rather could get a break (Rather had become rather cranky in recent days, snapping at everyone in sight, and CBS execs worried the temperamental Texan would end up throwing a punch at someone if matters continued). NBC was using John Chancellor and Connie Chung to supplement Brokaw, and Ted Koppel was backing Jennings at ABC. More and more, regular programming was being pre-empted or interrupted by news programs, including ABC airing the documentary about civil defense and nuclear war that had originally aired on BBC's Panorama program, If The Bomb Drops. There was additional footage added to it for the American perspective, narrated by Hugh Downs, featuring interviews with personnel from the Kennedy and Eisenhower administrations that had worked on civil defense planning. The effect on national morale was not considered helpful, and Roone Arledge received a very unpleasant phone call from White House Chief of Staff Jim Baker, chewing him out. Arledge released a one sentence statement after the kerfuffle, saying, "The people have a right and a need to know what we are facing, whether it is pleasant or not."

As Koppel was at his desk in the news division's offices behind the studio, the wire service dot-matrix printer in his office began chattering to life. This was typically nothing new, except the ten-bell notice sounded, signalling FLASH traffic from the wires. FLASH traffic was the most urgent, and Koppel spun around in his chair to pick up the page from the Associated Press teletype and read.

**************************AP FLASH**************************

1200 HOURS GMT
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
NATO HEADQUARTERS

NATO REPORTS RECEIPT OF COMMUNIQUE FROM SOVIET POLITBURO. SOVIETS DEMAND NATO WITHDRAW ALL FORCES FROM WEST GERMANY BY 0600 HOURS MOSCOW TIME (0300 HOURS GMT) ON 18 FEBRUARY OR "THE STERNEST CONSEQUENCES WILL RESULT, WHICH WE CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR." SHAPE COMMANDER GENERAL ROGERS HAS NOT ISSUED COMMENT. NATO AMBASSADORS CURRENTLY MEETING IN CLOSED SESSION. SOVIET AMBASSADOR TO BELGIUM REFUSED COMMENT ON POLITBURO DEMANDS VIA TELEPHONE, EMBASSY GATES LOCKED.

************************END AP FLASH************************

Koppel jumped up, quickly grabbing his coat and fixing his tie. He speedwalked to the director's booth outside the studio and thrust the dispatch into his hands. Thirty seconds later, the director exhaled, "Holy shit," and picked up the phone, calling up to Arledge's office. "Hi, Debra, it's Jack, I need to speak to Roone immediately," the director said. It only took a ten-count: "Arledge speaking." "Roone, it's Jack, we just got a hot AP flash off the wire. The Soviets just told NATO to get the fuck outta Germany by 6 am Saturday morning or else." There was a short silence, then "OK, Jack, get to air. Who's on deck?" "Ted's right here, he brought me the wire story and he's ready to go," the director replied. "Good, send the alert to the affiliates. Five minute warning." Arledge hung up, while Koppel sat down at the Teleprompter and quickly typed out an outline of what he wanted to say, followed by dictating who he wanted to interview after breaking the news. Jack the director made a phone call to the Washington, D.C. residence of retired four-star General Andrew Goodpaster, who quickly drove to WJLA, the DC affiliate for ABC.

Miami, Florida

The television, as always, was on in the conference room for the Rivera Task Force, and the interruption was, like so many others in recent weeks, unwelcome. Klima and his colleagues put down their bagels, donuts and coffee to listen.

"This is ABC News with a special report. From New York, Ted Koppel."

"Good morning, I'm Ted Koppel with breaking news from the Associated Press reporters in Brussels, Belgium. The Soviet Ambassador to Belgium delivered a diplomatic note from the Politburo in Moscow to NATO headquarters today. The text of the note has not been made public, but the AP reports that it included a demand that all NATO forces withdraw from West Germany by six AM, Moscow time, on Saturday, February 18, or, quote, "the sternest consequences will result, which we cannot be held responsible for." The Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, General Bernard Rogers, did not have any comment as we came to air, and the AP reports that the Soviet Ambassador not only refused comment, but that the gates of the Soviet Embassy have been locked. We are currently awaiting a statement from the Reagan administration, who has alerted our White House correspondent Sam Donaldson that they have received the Politburo's demands and are currently evaluating them, and will respond at the appropriate time.

For some insight on this, I turn to Washington, where the former White House staff secretary and former NATO commander General Andrew Goodpaster has come in to our local affiliate on short notice to help understand the situation. General, if the report is accurate, it sounds as if a demand of surrender is being made before a shot has been fired. Does such a demand guarantee shots will be fired and war will break out in Europe again?"

"Ted, as you know, I served in a number of national security positions over the past thirty years, and I've been around the block a few times. I was seven when the First World War broke out, and I learned at West Point how that war began. For all the rancorous, confrontational moments we had with the Soviet Union, nothing they've sent us matches the tone of this document. The reason I bring up World War I, Ted, is that this note sounds like the one that was sent to Serbia in 1914, demanding their total subjugation to the Austro-German forces as the only way to avoid a war. The Allies did their best to talk the Germans and Austrians out of their demands, but those nations wanted a war and they got their war. We saw how those nations ended up, and how that war caused the next war, and if war breaks out again, we can trace its roots to Yalta, Potsdam, and the Korean War. We've been in one long, uninterrupted cycle of war and recrimination, but now, the superpowers have weapons capable of wiping out virtually all life on Earth. I do not feel that we will avoid a war with this tone coming from the Soviets."

"General, I do not mean to argue, but haven't we faced this sort of belligerence before from Premier Khrushchev during the late 1950s and early 1960s? The Soviets threatened to crush us, subjected our ambassadors to blistering tirades, and even went nose-to-nose with the Vice President, not to mention the Berlin Wall and its immediate aftermath in 1961. How is this any different from, say, the Cuban Missile Crisis?"

"Ted, in 1961-62, I was commander of the 8th Infantry Division in West Germany. While there would have been substantial casualties if the Soviets launched their intermediate range missiles in Cuba, the fact is that it would have been considered more than survivable at the time. Some of our largest cities would be in ruins, but much of our farming and industry would have been unharmed, and America would have come out better than the Soviets, owing to substantial supremacy in our nuclear arsenal. That's not the case today, unfortunately. During the 1970s, the Soviets embarked on a program to build massive missiles with MIRV's, multiple independent re-entry vehicles. It was a way of avoiding the limits of the SALT treaty, which restricted missiles, not warheads. They deployed the SS-18, which now holds up to ten nuclear warheads on a single missile. To clarify the difference, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, a maximum of forty missiles would have been in Cuba, so forty targets would be hit. Many of those would be aimed at stopping our bombers, submarines, and missiles, so only a few cities would be struck. Now, forty missiles can hit up to four hundred different targets. The Soviets have 150 SS-18s, representing as many as 1500 targets, and as many as 330 SS-19s, representing as many as 1,980 targets, according to the CIA. The majority of those missiles are aimed at the United States. Do you understand now, Ted? From 1949, when the Soviets exploded their first atomic weapon, to roughly 1970, we could survive a Soviet attack without our losses being unrecoverable. It would have been loss unimaginable to us, but it wouldn't be enough to destroy our entire nation. That is no longer the case. If a nuclear war happens, there will not be many of us left, and God help those that are."

Koppel's confident anchor face sagged. The numbers staggered him, now that the threat of war was very immediate. There was a heavy silence for almost ten seconds.

"General Goodpaster, what would you recommend to the American people? If it is as bad as it sounds, are we supposed to just wait to die? This sounds terribly gruesome, and we are a hopeful, optimistic people. Is there anything we can do?" The veteran newsman almost pleaded in that last sentence.

"Well, there are some notes of hope, I would say. The first is that I don't believe anybody is crazy enough to use nuclear weapons. The Soviets know they'll all die in a nuclear war. We know America would be devastated. That should hopefully be enough to keep us safe. Second, I would prepare, just in case. Have food and water stored. Have a shelter, or a place out of the city, to go to, and don't wait until the sirens go off. No matter how dire things may be, panic will kill people as surely as a nuclear missile. Clogged roads mean that nobody gets to safety in case of the worst. And finally, I would suggest that people pray, for God promised Noah that he would never again allow humankind to be eradicated after the great flood in biblical times. Prayer never hurts anyone, and we could use as much of it as possible."

"General Goodpaster, thank you for your time this morning. We'll have more tonight on ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings. This has been an ABC News special report. We now return you to your local programming."

It was a very shaky detective's hand that turned the volume down. "Christ, guys, what the fuck do we do now?"

That question was answered for him by the door opening, and the appearance of Major Ron Simmons, the Miami PD equivalent of a brigadier general. "Listen up. This task force, by order of the chief, is on hold from the police end. Ms. Reno will speak to the ASA's later, but meanwhile, we need to get every cop in uniform and on the streets. Chief thinks this Soviet demand is going to cause massive protests or rioting, and he doesn't want us caught off guard. Everyone goes out in pairs, nobody patrols alone. We're going to have patrolmen on foot and detectives in cars. Klima, since Cárdenas is out of action, chief wants you in the ops center. We may need that infantry thinking of yours if a riot breaks out. We clear?"

Klima raised his hand. "Sir, Rivera is dangerous. We have reason to believe that he has some ex-CIA guys on his payroll, and they're probably all armed to the teeth now. With respect, why is the chief pulling us away from this?"

"Klima, this is the FBI's problem now. Our job is to maintain a semblance of law and order in this city. Mayor is talking about extending the governor's curfew longer, keeping everyone indoors more. We're right in Castro's crosshairs if he decides to throw in with his Commie buddies. We are here to serve and protect, and right now, a riot is a much greater concern than a drug lord, spy buddies or not. Do you understand me, son?" Simmons was an African-American, one of the first black officers to make high rank in the Miami PD, and because of all the discrimination and hatred he'd faced, he had the ability to make George S. Patton himself look like a shrinking violet. Jan Klima had no desire to see that side, and he nodded his understanding. "Alright, let's saddle up. Eyes open, radios on, four-hour patrols, then you'll be off for four hours, then back on. We're doing this Navy style." Simmons walked out the door briskly.

Everyone looked at each other. Nobody said anything. Their faces told the story.

I have one thing to say to that update: Oh, crap :eek:.

If I were Klima, I'd forget about Rivera, for now, and begin preparations to leave the city; Miami will probably be the target of a conventional Soviet air attack (and attacks by Soviet special forces cells, as well) from Cuba when war does break out and before it goes nuclear...

Edit: Also on the 16th, all of the nuclear power plants in the country were shut down by AEC order (this is from Land of Flatwater), so Graham will have to deal with the shutdown of Turkey Point, Port St. Lucie, and Crystal River nuclear power plants...

In addition, NASCAR ran the qualifying races in Daytona to crowds rivaling that of Daytona; if there's a second chapter on the 16th, both of the above should be mentioned (I'm surprised you haven't brought up NASCAR yet)...

Last edited:
I have one thing to say to that update: Oh, crap :eek:.

If I were Klima, I'd forget about Rivera, for now, and begin preparations to leave the city; Miami will probably be the target of a conventional Soviet air attack (and attacks by Soviet special forces cells, as well) from Cuba when war does break out and before it goes nuclear...

Edit: Also on the 16th, all of the nuclear power plants in the country were shut down by AEC order (this is from Land of Flatwater), so Graham will have to deal with the shutdown of Turkey Point, Port St. Lucie, and Crystal River nuclear power plants...

In addition, NASCAR ran the qualifying races in Daytona to crowds rivaling that of Daytona; if there's a second chapter on the 16th, both of the above should be mentioned (I'm surprised you haven't brought up NASCAR yet)...

As much as you mention Jan's needing to leave, I feel like you're Jan from this alternate universe telling me to write his ass to safety.

As far as NASCAR, not done writing the 16th yet. This is a pivotal day, and will be the focus of additional chapters.

As much as you mention Jan's needing to leave, I feel like you're Jan from this alternate universe telling me to write his ass to safety.

As far as NASCAR, not done writing the 16th yet. This is a pivotal day, and will be the focus of additional chapters.
To think OTL today's when Iran started a half-million strong Offensive and only have six days left to live ITTL.

Chilling. Honestly, this update more than others does a chillingly good job of conveying the sheer existential horror of looking nuclear war in the face, made all the more effective by the foregone conclusion - and for that matter, you've done this better than most any TL I can think of in the P&Sverse, save maybe the original (ATTACK WARNING RED were three bloodcurdling words).

This is what sets your TL apart: where most P&S spinoffs are preoccupied with languishing in the horrors of a post-nuclear age, you've painted the most detailed picture yet of how things got there in the first place.

I've exceeded my ration of nice things to say for one day (worrying for those around me as it's now past midnight here, so woe betide those around me), and I've said most of them before - but damn fine work. Damn fine.

I agree @Tsar of New Zealand, I agree. I just remembered something else about Miami, something that does explain the riot fear...in May of 1980 (3 years and 9 months before the current story date--it competed with the Mt. St. Helens eruption for headlines), Miami suffered massive rioting after four white cops were acquitted of killing a black man (the more things have changed, the more they stayed the same, sadly), killing 18 people, injuring 350, and leading to 600 arrests, as well as causing severe destruction in several neighborhoods.

Here's the WTVJ news broadcast from that night linked from YouTube (it also covers the start of the Mariel boatlift, too; it's interesting that YouTube can be a window into history):

The Miami PD has every reason to fear rioting here; Klima was a detective, but he probably was involved in trying to maintain order in the aftermath (and probably doesn't have good thoughts about the cops involved)...

Is Major Ron Simmons a real person, BTW? (The Ron Simmons I know is the wrestling one.)

Waiting for more...

Last edited:
The Miami PD has every reason to fear rioting here; Klima was a detective, but he probably was involved in trying to maintain order in the aftermath (and probably doesn't have good thoughts about the cops involved)...

Is Major Ron Simmons a real person, BTW? (The Ron Simmons I know is the wrestling one.)

Waiting for more...

I was kinda wondering this myself as the Ron Simmons I know was in Tampa until 85 playing USFL.

And of course it wouldn't be a 1980s TL without some sort of appearance by Casey Kasem...

The last #1 ITTL was 99 Luftballons by Nena, which is more than a little...Harsher in Hindsight in-universe, considering what's coming...

The last #1 ITTL was 99 Luftballons by Nena, which is more than a little...Harsher in Hindsight in-universe, considering what's coming...

It was, appropriately enough, mentioned in the original as being played by British radio stations at the top of the hour every hour in protest during the TTW.

And it was played on MTV for an hour in response to Shultz's going to Geneva; it was mentioned in Land of Flatwater and End of Watch. As you have said, Tsar, this is the best depiction to date of how things got to how they are postwar (the Foregone Conclusion of this means that the Klima/Rivera struggle doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world (1).)

(1) What can I say? I always thought that was a good line from Casablanca...

Wow!

@Tsar of New Zealand, that praise is just incredible. I'm speechless, as a fan of yours about Muldoon and NZ, that's just such great praise. I have always felt the news reports would be a great plot device to build that tension and flesh out things that I always wondered about.

@Unknown and @HesitatedEye, I liked using the name, since I watched old school NWA/WCW growing up, and knowing Simmons' Florida connections, it worked. I might have to get in at least one "DAMN!"

There will be at least one more 2/16/84 post, and we will be going day by day now with no skipping. I've got a twist planned that I'm excited about, and we've been quiet about Manny because he's holed up and ain't nobody finding him anytime fast, but you haven't seen the last of him, either.

Looking forward to the twist (as long as it's not something like Klima really being evil, him cheating on his wife, or it all being just a dream; I hate those twists because they're so clichéd in stories) and waiting for more...

Other events that might have occurred or will occur: the Florida ANG dispersing its fighters, Guantanamo Bay being evacuated of non-essential personnel (the base will be evacuated of them, since Cuba is an ally of the Soviet Union ITTL)...

Last edited:

Artaxerxes

Banned
Forget riots, half the police force are going to slink home, everyone else is going to be running around terrified or doing the same.

Forget riots, half the police force are going to slink home, everyone else is going to be running around terrified or doing the same.

Eventually, but doing so now before war has actually broken out would not go well. It'd be like the soldiers fleeing the battlefield before the first shot was fired.

That said, Miami is going to be a very interesting place in the next 96 hours or so.

Chapter 31
Chapter 31
February 16, 1984
Gainesville, Florida

General Ensslin was in a state of agitation, having just gotten off a conference call with the Pentagon. The reason for his agitation was twofold: the first being the Soviet ultimatum, and the second being the awful deck of cards he was being dealt. Florida's Air National Guard was one fighter wing, the 125th, that consisted of its main group at Jacksonville, an associate unit based at Tyndall AFB in Panama City, a detachment at Homestead AFB, two training flight groups at Camp Blanding, the FNG training facility, and support squadrons spread across the state (Tyndall, Patrick AFB, Cape Canaveral, Fort MacDill). Operationally, this meant a squadron of F-106A and F-106B Delta Dart interceptors, airplanes that were Air Force hand-me-downs while the active duty boys had new F-15 Eagles and F-16 Falcons. From a flying perspective, that wasn't a concern, as the F-106 was a purpose-built interceptor that flew very well in all conditions; however, it lacked in armament quality, as its AIM-4a and AIM-4b (infrared and radar-guided) missiles fared poorly in Vietnam against Soviet built MiGs. Since then, the F-106s were retrofitted with Vulcan cannons, 650 rounds worth, and the brigadier in charge of the 125th had been having his pilots fly practice missions to hone their dogfighting, close combat skills. Because the F-106s had internal weapons bays, the missiles were fired in pairs, so the interceptors only had two missile shots before they had to resort to cannon fire.

That would already be enough to make many despair, but it only got worse from there. Much of the ANG force was deployed at guaranteed nuclear targets, and Georgia, their closest neighbor, had no ANG fighters as part of its Air National Guard. They were all intelligence and troop transport units; because of the presence of Fort Stewart and Fort Benning in the state, those planes were flying REFORGER missions around the clock. This left the FANG fighters without backup in case of the worst occurring, whether it was squadrons of Air Force regulars being pulled from continental air defense for Europe, or nuclear war devastating the continent. There'd been some discussions with Alabama, but they didn't extend beyond an agreement by Alabama to cover the Panhandle's air defense in the event of the bases there being taken out of commission. Ensslin had heard about some of the plans of the Gulf States Command, but Florida had not been invited and they were all too busy to try and barge in. Ensslin knew it wouldn't matter that much. Florida was too far removed from Louisiana and Mississippi to do much to help them, and they certainly knew that the Panhandle would be glowing if the missiles came for years to come. There wouldn't even be a safe land route, and the Gulf was likely to be a place fraught with danger, if the Soviets leaked submarines into it from Cuba, as expected.

Ensslin had already sent out directions to activate Florida's Civil Air Patrol, with areas of responsibility broken out as follows:

Florida_Wing_Group_Boundaries.png

Group 7 was considered to have zero survival chances as currently located, so they were ordered to deploy to Group 5's region. Group 2 and 3 members in areas likely to be affected by nuclear attack dispersed towards the edges. With school officially closed, teenage cadets were asked to join senior squadrons to begin additional training. While a goodly number of parents resisted this, some relented, and their teenagers went off by day's end to learn the business of war. The colonel in charge of the Florida CAP was a Korean War veteran who flew F-86 Sabres in that war, and had purchased one after its deactivation by the Air Force. The colonel, Miguel Hernandez, had kept his F-86L in as pristine a condition as he could, and the brigadier running FANG had made purchases of SNEB rockets as planning ramped up dramatically in the past month. If it came down to it, Col Hernandez would take the Sabre up with rockets to go after Soviet jets. Unguided rockets weren't anyone's first, second, hell, fifth choice in the air, but you played the hand you were dealt, and if CAP were all that was left, then a Sabre interceptor with unguided rockets beat the hell out of the alternative. Col. Hernandez made his first order of business to fly to Page Field in Fort Myers, where Groups 5 and 7 would be flying out of. Page Field was formerly a WWII airfield, with runways large enough to handle the CAP aircraft and some fighters (provided they came in slow enough for a landing). Senior squadron leaders in the CAP were flying to other fields, sending information back to Gainesville about what could be used for reserve deployments of CAP aircraft.

Based on available information, the task was going to be very difficult for Gainesville. The Tampa-St. Pete-Orlando-Cape Canaveral line of multiple nuclear detonations was going to split the state in two, and usable airfields for CAP was tough enough. There was Perry, Inverness, the state prison airfield, Gainesville Regional Airport, and Palatka-Kay Larkin. Of those, only the latter two and Camp Blanding had enough runway room to collect fighters in need of landing. Blanding was considered an unlikely target, based on how many larger opportunities existed around the state, but if it were hit, Gainesville would be faced with a substantial crisis. Blanding contained a lot of infrastructure for both the Army and Air National Guard forces of Florida. Ensslin estimated, based on intelligence provided to him, that if it were to be hit, Soviet bombers, following a missile exchange, would be the most likely to target it. Because of this, and because of how much had been put into Gainesville, the FANG interceptors were redeployed as best as possible. Gainesville Regional and Camp Blanding would host the majority of the F-106s, and the remainder would be deployed to Fort Myers and Fort Pierce. The last one was a gamble, given its location halfway between West Palm Beach and Patrick AFB; however, Ensslin felt there was a chance to maybe save one of the two if bombers came for them instead of missiles, and any city plus airport that could be saved was a victory for Florida.

The next part was the trickiest: Governor Graham and General Ensslin conducted a conference call with the support squadrons at Patrick AFB, Cape Canaveral and Tyndall AFB in Panama City. They were instructed that upon either A: receiving a prearranged code (GRAHAM CRACKER) or B: notice of a nuclear detonation anywhere in the world, they were to ready up in their transport planes and fly back to Gainesville or Blanding. There was a decent chance that there would be no way to lift off, unless the base commanders issued an evacuation order, but the two men recognized that they needed those men, their gear, and the short-range transports for the state's defense. The Pentagon's commanders might consider the orders treasonous, or dereliction of duty; the aims of the state were now vastly different than those of the nation. Nuclear war would, for all intents and purposes, eliminate the federal government's authority for weeks at best and years at worst. The governors that had been preparing for the threat of war over the last several months had to deal with the aftermath up close, whereas President Reagan or VP Bush or whatever poor bastard of a cabinet secretary that ended up being President when things went to hell would be in a bunker nowhere near the dead, the sick, the starving, and the homeless.

They had no idea how bad it would be.

Miami, Florida

Jan Klima was sitting in the operations center in downtown Miami, plotting the unrest that was bubbling up around the city. After the news from Brussels spread, the panic quickly grew. People straight up left their jobs, got in their cars, and drove to the nearest grocery store. What had felt surreal and maybe even premature a day or so ago became all too real and immediate to the citizens of Greater Miami. Fights were breaking out, and despite Graham's orders, it didn't stop it, mainly because police were slow to get to the trouble spots. The flow of orderly supply purchases was their first priority, per the Governor's instructions. It was not a recipe for peace, but peace was rapidly becoming something in short supply around the world.

Klima was looking at the large, street level map on the wall, where they used pushpins to mark trouble spots, and he saw a pattern forming. The stores in the poorer minority neighborhoods was where the most fighting was occurring. Klima got on the radio to one of the officers and asked who he saw there. The officer replied that there were more white people at that store than he'd ever seen before (he was in Liberty City, home to the 1980 riots). Klima urgently waved over Simmons to the map. "Sir," Klima said in a low voice, "we've got a lot of white people, probably from Broward, buying out the groceries at stores in Liberty City. They probably work downtown and are afraid there won't be anything when they get home, so they're buying now, and that's probably causing the fights from locals who feel like they're being robbed." Simmons looked at Klima, then the map. There was a lot of trouble building in Little Haiti and Liberty City.

"Alright, son, what do you think we ought to do here?" Simmons asked the question honestly of Klima. The detective picked up a pencil to illustrate his reply. "Sir, in the Cav, what you'd want to do is hem everything in. You don't want this to become a full-fledged riot, so we need to stop the influx of people into these neighborhoods by closing off traffic. Roadblocks at the I-195 exits in those neighborhoods, and the 6th & 62nd Street exits off I-95. Also have roadblocks off of every street in those neighborhoods coming from 54th Street. It's safe to assume people aren't going to drive past the neighborhoods and come back south, I think, and nobody's coming from Broward down here. It's all the downtown workers and other places south where they're just afraid of the world ending and are making a run for what's closest. Unfortunately, in doing so, they're putting more pressure on communities that already are desperate even before a potential nuclear apocalypse. Hard to blame anyone in this situation. Fear is a powerful thing, sir."

Simmons lowered his voice. "Believe me, I know. I'm scared shitless for my kids and granddaughter and my wife." Klima looked back at him and did the math in his head. "Sir, have you ever been to Fort Myers?"

Manny Rivera had one of the Agency men call Rosenstein from a pay phone to find out what was going on in the Grimes case. He'd been anxious, having not heard anything in a good week now. The news, of course, had become saturated with the Soviet crisis, and everything else was being pushed off the front and inside pages. Training camp wasn't even opening, and for a man who grew up on the sport in Cuba, that was sad to him. Manny wasn't given to sentiment much, but baseball was one of his happy memories, dating back to before Castro took over. When the Agency man returned, he brought a torrent of news with him.

"Boss, sit down. I've got a lot to tell you, but before I do, I think we need to get Rosenstein out here with us, permanently," said Mike Carr. Carr began his agency life working the streets of Eastern Europe, digging up military information on the Soviet bloc, before rotating back to headquarters in the mid-70s to become an analyst and operations planner. Operations was the directorate that Stan Turner had nearly wiped out after the Church Committee revelations, and so Carr had been cut loose, along with Matt Phillips, who was the pilot. Carr had learned enough to co-pilot, but Phillips handled the bulk of flying duties. Phillips had learned fixed-wing aircraft after the agency cut him loose too, having flown Hueys in Vietnam as an Army lieutenant, then was recruited to the CIA's paramilitary group within Operations. The paras, as they were known, conducted Operation PHOENIX amongst others: essentially a form of terrorism against the Viet Cong. Phillips was definitely someone not welcome in the post-Church Committee Agency, and although Director Bill Casey had tried to revive that area, it was slow in coming, especially with a very uncompliant Congress. All of this meant Carr and Phillips had been adrift for a while. They worked as security consultants and Phillips flew private jets for the wealthy between Florida and Texas, teaching Carr along the way enough to be helpful in that area. Carr, though, was first and foremost an agent, and knew how to read people. Hence his warning.

"Why do we need that putz around here? I can barely stand him as..." Rivera found himself shocked by Carr's hand in front of his face. It'd been a long time since anyone had done that to him.

"Boss, I'm gonna be straight with you. There's a threat out there. Rosenstein said a man dressed all in black, with his face painted black, appeared in his bedroom in the middle of the night. The man said you'd pissed off some powerful people and they were after you. Before you think this is Paul using too much of your product, know this: the man told him that he'd killed Antonio, and that the cops had beaten him to your commando friend, quote. Just the fact that he knew Antonio's name and admitted to killing him, and that Antonio has been missing for weeks....I suspect this man is telling the truth. Someone is hunting you, and your lawyer is a weak link. Now, we're aware the world is going to hell rapidly, but the last thing we want is anyone out there with a loose tongue or knowledge. I believe him, and that means we have to bring him in. Of course, if necessary, he can always be disposed of later, but right now, we need to hold him close. We've locked this place down about as tight as we can make it, but we're being hunted, and we don't want to give this guy any more clues. The plan is we get a car, pull in, and leave with the Mercedes. Something stolen should work nicely. Those cars are built well, and I'll go with one of your guys to watch for a tail. I don't know if you pissed off another competitor or its someone from your past, but we need to plug this leak and do it fast," concluded Carr.

Rivera nodded. It's good to have professionals around...

Last edited: