28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

I think that even IF the virus managed to be contained to just Great Britain, the sheer amount of panic that it will cause will be enough to utterly crash the global economy. It will be a 'Fall of Rome' kind of situation for the entire modern world as we know it...
I'm not sure about THAT. Travel hasn't advanced too much since 2002, and they managed to keep it contained to Britain. If this were to happen today the rapid onset of symptoms in victims seems to suggest it would be contained as I don't see Infected getting onto planes or sailing across the Channel.

chankljp

Donor
I'm not sure about THAT. Travel hasn't advanced too much since 2002, and they managed to keep it contained to Britain. If this were to happen today the rapid onset of symptoms in victims seems to suggest it would be contained as I don't see Infected getting onto planes or sailing across the Channel.

I wasn't talking about the Rage virus spreading beyond the Great Britain, but the economic impact that the outbreak will have for the rest of the world.

The City of London alone, for example, is one of the world's greatest financial hubs, including the third-largest stock exchange worth over $USD 6 trillion; The Pound Sterling, the fourth most-traded currency, is now worth less then toilet paper. The world's fifth largest economy is just... GONE. Utterly destroyed of in just 28 days.

And that is not even taking into account that out of Great Britain's over 60 million people, over 80% got wiped out, the rest becoming refugees, and therefore a burden in their host countries at lease in the short term.

The global economy is already not in a very good shape in OTL right now. All the the stress added from the Rage outbreak will be enough to crash the entire thing to bottomless depths. Which in turn, will lead to political instability, and potentially military conflicts. Even in the best case scenario, we are going to lose 2 decades of progress globally as every struggles to the new realities of the situation.

Political and Cultural impact of the Rage Outbreak of 2002

Sports
> It definitely would have butterflied the 2012 London Olympics. Not sure if 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing would be affected by it.
> Same with World Cup, 2006 Germany could have been cancelled since the Rage spread to their nation as well.

Technology
> Would iPhones and Androids still exist in this timeline's 2017? Yes, the US and South Korea were not affected by the Rage directly but the loss of trade and economics links with the UK would have also impacted foreign companies.

Politics and Activism
> With the Iraq War being cancelled, this implies Saddam stays in power into the 2010s. However, would the Arab Spring still occur like it did OTL in 2011?
> Who is the elected U.S. President in 2008, 2012, and 2016? Assuming George W. Bush is reelected in 2004.

Other Diseases
> Would SARs still emerge in 2003 in China?
> Would H1N1 still emerge in 2009 in Mexico?

chankljp

Donor
> Would SARs still emerge in 2003 in China?

Well, in OTL, SARS started in November 2002, and it spread so far and wide because of a doctor from Guangdong (Who treated one of the early SARS patients) traveling to Hong Kong for a wedding, stayed at an international hotel, and ended up spreading it to the other guest in the hotel, who then spread it to Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Canada, etc...

With the Rage outbreak earlier in 2002, I will absolutely not put it above the PRC government ordering the doctors to just round up and quarantine the original batch of SARS patients instead of trying to treat them (Or even outright terminating them), and putting EVERYONE that they have came into contact with under observation. Hence preventing the doctor from Guangdong from ever going to Hong Kong, therefore butterflying away the disease from reaching pandemic levels.

Well, in OTL, SARS started in November 2002, and it spread so far and wide because of a doctor from Guangdong (Who treated one of the early SARS patients) traveling to Hong Kong for a wedding, stayed at an international hotel, and ended up spreading it to the other guest in the hotel, who then spread it to Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Canada, etc...

With the Rage outbreak earlier in 2002, I will absolutely not put it above the PRC government ordering the doctors to just round up and quarantine the original batch of SARS patients instead of trying to treat them (Or even outright terminating them), and putting EVERYONE that they have came into contact with under observation. Hence preventing the doctor from Guangdong from ever going to Hong Kong, therefore butterflying away the disease from reaching pandemic levels.

This in my view would be the proper and responsible reaction to a potential new plague.

I would also see the Mexican government eradicating pigs on a massive scale when the Swine Flu breaks out in this timeline in 2009 (same with OTL).

As for the 2012 Olympics, it is no doubt it would be held in a different location with most of Europe still recovering from the most devastating plague of the 2000s decade.

I just finished reading this whole thread. Imagine if the infection started in New York instead. Chills run down my spine at the thought.

I remember one chapter here where Blair and the cabinet was contemplating to hide in the Downing Street Bunker. I have read it is designed to house a 100 people, has lots of supplies, and was at the time of the Cold War, built to withstand a nuclear strike. It bares similarity with the PEOC bunker beneath the White House.

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/www.m...de-prime-ministers-nuclear-bunker-8474816.amp

What if he hid there instead of fleeing to York then Edinburgh then Belfast?

Here, I am writing an experience that happened in OTL and depicting it in the 28 Days Later timeline. Note: It's just a local conversation among a group of friends that occured last 07/01/17 in a nightclub so I decided to place a creative turn into it.

Millennials React to the Rage Epidemic of 2002, 15 years later

July 1, 2017

The Sentral Bar and Lounge
Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines

My friends and I were at this club, enjoying life. We, the millennials in this nightclub, are already in our twenties. Just like it felt yesterday, we were just children; and now we are here adulting. I was there for the sole reason that I am starting medical school this August 7, 2017. It was 9pm and the club wasn't full yet. I entered the door, to which the bouncer asked for an ID with a date-of-birth (I look young for 20 year old). To the right, I saw my friend Francis who signaled me to come. He told me the others have not arrived yet. We got out to wait for our friends. By 10pm, our other friend Gian arrived. He mentioned the others on their way. We then took the last table available. Then a group of girls, in which one of them Gian knows, asked if they could sit with us. We thought of it that if we let the girls sit with us, the chip-in for the table and the drinks will be much cheaper. Furthermore, we saw it as an act of goodwill.

Once we are settled in, we introduce ourselves to the girls. They too did the same, their names were Anna, Danica, Kimberly, and Jade. From our conversation, Francis and I learned that they were B.S. Psychology students from the University of San Carlos (the same university I graduated B.S. Biology in). Apparently, we graduated together last April 10, 2017. One of them asked what our plan was after B.S. Biology.

"Oh I am going to Medschool." I said.

"Where? asked Danica.

"Cebu Doctor's University." I replied.

"How about you Gian?" she asked.

“University of Visayas.” He replied.

Kimberly then asked Francis what he is taking. Francis replied that he will graduate this October and that his course he took is B.S. Environmental Science.

When we asked them what their plan was, if they were going to Law School or be a guidance counselor, most of them did not know what to do.

Danica then asks me if I am not scared of blood, feces, and other bodily fluids. I said I am not, but there is one thing I do fear. When the all asked what it was, I replied:

“I am the scared of the Rage Virus or something similar. I know a vaccine of it has been created and the last samples of the virus hidden away, but if it happens again then for sure those on the hospital would be the first victims.”

This silenced the table I was in. It has been 15 years since the Rage Epidemic struck the United Kingdom and devastated much of continental Europe before stopping at Russia’s western borders. 15 years later, much of Europe is a wasteland.

“We were still kids when it happened.” Much as well remember the September 11, 2001 attacks; I told them as I remembered that day on May 4, 2002 when the first reports of a violent disease was in Cambridge. I remembered following it on the news: the fall of London, the British governments retreat to Northern Ireland, the repopulation and the second outbreak, the Fall of Europe, and the measures done by the Philippine government to prevent rage from entering the country.

As I look at the nightclub around me, it was getting crowded. More partygoers had arrived. The inside was already packed, with the bouncers regulating the amount of people going in and out a the same time. It made me think that 15 years ago, the young people of Cambridge, UK were also doing the same: partying and enjoying life. And it made shiver on the thought if one of the infected managed to spread the virus in a confined area, all hell would break loose.

“When the outbreak hit mainland Europe, my family and I stayed in the Camotes until it was clear the Russians held it on their border towns. My father bought a gun; it’s still with our family right now.”

“Interesting.” Kimberly said. “I’m from Camotes too.”

“Oh really?”

“Yes. If an outbreak occurs, I’d be safe there. The infected cannot swim right?”

“Nope.” I replied.

“But what happens when the rage occurs and you are in the hospital.” asked Danica.

“I once told myself I’d smuggle a gun with me. So if that’s not allowed, then I’d hope I’m in an area far from the infected. And I hope that area would be where I can escape to my car.” I said firmly.

“And if it is not there?” she asked again.

“Well then, it sucks to be me.” I replied as I watched the crowd party the night away; wondering on the thought on how a Rage outbreak would occur specifically in this place if it were to ever come back in history.

Sealand's greatest issue is it's reliance on intact infrastructure in the UK or France / Belgium / Netherlands to supply their fuel needs in particular

Last edited:
Been thinking about doing another update at some point, though I'm not sure what to do?

Also, I wonder if the infected retain any sense of who they were before being infected. Do they still have all their memories? Are they fully aware of what they are doing and are horrified by their actions but unable to control themselves? That would be an interesting twist if they were able to cure the infected one day at they could remember everything they did to people whilst infected.

Been thinking about doing another update at some point, though I'm not sure what to do?

Also, I wonder if the infected retain any sense of who they were before being infected. Do they still have all their memories? Are they fully aware of what they are doing and are horrified by their actions but unable to control themselves? That would be an interesting twist if they were able to cure the infected one day at they could remember everything they did to people whilst infected.

If they were cured and remembered everything, at the very least they'd suffer psychological damage and extreme PTSD, and at the worst they'd either go completely insane or commit suicide from the overwhelming guilt of tearing strangers, neighbors, friends, and family to bloody shreds. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Short of an outbreak in the modern day I think you pretty much covered it. Hell, you destroyed Europe before you retconned it.