Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

This is my first time trying to do one of these, so tell me what to change/how to improve.

PHLOGIS
Type: Lava Terrestrial Planet
Origin Word: Ancient Greek word "phlegein" meaning "to burn"
Year length: 36 Days
Day length: 72 Days
Temperature: 1880F(1300K)-4400(2700K)
Distance from sun: 0.15 AU (14 million miles)
Diameter: 3,344kilometers (2,078 miles)
Surface area: 351 million square kilometers (136 million square kilometers)
Volume:19.6 billion cubic kilometers (4.7 billion cubic miles)
Mass:1.0584x10^17 kilograms (1.0584x10^14 tons)
Density: 5.4 g/cm^3
Moons: 0
Composition 70% metals, 29.9% silicates, 0.1% other(including water)
Axial tilt: 0.001°
Hydrosphere: ice 99%, water 0%, water vapor 1%
Atmosphere: Rock vapor and negligible amounts of other elements (water, carbon dioxide, hydrogen)
Odds of life: Impossible

Phlogis is the smallest single and innermost planet in the Tellurus System. It's orbital period of 36 days is the shortest in the solar system. It is named after an element hypothesized to be the source of combustion.
Like Semreh and Aerethyc, Phlogis is an inferior planet only visible from it during mornings and evenings, but it is far too close to the sun to be visible easily from Tellurus without powerful telescopes. The planet was not discovered until (equivalent of Earth year1859).
The planet is nearly completely molten as a result of tidal force and proximity to the sun, and is locked in a resonance with it, leading to every Phlogistan year being exactly half the day's length.
The side of the planet facing away from the sun manages to stay molten by the intense radiation of the sun ad heat through the planet itself. The planet is has a thin layer of solid rock at both poles acting as "icebergs" in the lava seas, drifting towards the equator and melting in the sun's heat.
The planet can become Cthonian during periods of intense solar activitiy, with it's outer layers being blasted away into space. The planet may once have been a size similar to Semreh, but billions of years of solar erosion have shrunk the world.
How does it maintain ice? Is it near the poles?

I'm just leaving this here since I have no intention of completing it.

The way I made it was actually pretty interesting. I started out with an MS Paint doc that was 2 x 4 pixels, and I colored in a few pixels green and the rest of them blue. Then, I scaled it up by 2 and added more detail. I repeated this until the map was so large that adding detail was taking too long, and I simply imported the end result to G-Projector. If anyone wants to use it or touch it up, please do so.

Untitled map.png

CannedTech

Banned
upload_2017-8-9_23-46-49.png

WIP for a revamped Triton map, likely highly inaccurate, but based on this. I'll likely add some fluff for aesthetic purposes though just so it isn't so wonky since there's just the southern hemisphere in detail on that map.

IMG_9313.PNG

A planet in a scenario I had made with a friend in 10th grade, his was my map of 1 of 4 extra planets in our solar systems goldy lox zone. That is the planet after human conquest (vengeance for 1899, also because my friend wanted these aliens to invade us). Some info...

Poseidon
*World Type: Humid jungle land surface, ocean world
*Main Species: Cthulites; Molluskite
*Main Resources: Metals, Oil, Crystal
*Situation: Currently in a state of Cold War between the land and water nations. The two main superpowers are the Permites and the Silurians. World technology has stayed the same for relatively a century.

View attachment 338174
A planet in a scenario I had made with a friend in 10th grade, his was my map of 1 of 4 extra planets in our solar systems goldy lox zone. That is the planet after human conquest (vengeance for 1899, also because my friend wanted these aliens to invade us). Some info...

Poseidon
*World Type: Humid jungle land surface, ocean world
*Main Species: Cthulites; Molluskite
*Main Resources: Metals, Oil, Crystal
*Situation: Currently in a state of Cold War between the land and water nations. The two main superpowers are the Permites and the Silurians. World technology has stayed the same for relatively a century.
Is there any other Alternate History timeline behind this? I was just wondering about the distribution of the territory.

This is my first time trying to do one of these, so tell me what to change/how to improve.

Orbital eccentricity would be nice to know, especially if it is greater than 0.1 or so. If it's greater than that, you will get a weird resonance thing like Mercury has (which, like your planet, has a solar day twice as long as its year). If it's less than that, your planet will be tide locked and it would have a sidereal day length that is identical to its year (in your case, 36 days). Your planet's synodic (or solar) day would be infinite.

Orbital eccentricity would be nice to know, especially if it is greater than 0.1 or so. If it's greater than that, you will get a weird resonance thing like Mercury has (which, like your planet, has a solar day twice as long as its year). If it's less than that, your planet will be tide locked and it would have a sidereal day length that is identical to its year (in your case, 36 days). Your planet's synodic (or solar) day would be infinite.
What do you recommend?

How did the Iberians and Italians get so much territory? Or is that territory just not worth as much. Cause I can't really see them somehow getting more influence on that world than the Chinese of Americans or British.
The Italians and Iberians managed to work out deals with other nations to annex more land into their small territory, specifically land still held up with rebels or non profitable area's. Otherwise it was kinda random borders.

What do you recommend?

I'm not an astrophysicist, but...

I would say somewhere around Mercury's eccentricity (0.1-0.3) is about right. Any less than that, and you will get tide-locking. The Earth's Moon has an orbital eccentricity of 0.05, so mild eccentricity probably leads to tide-locking rather than 3:2 resonance like Mercury. As eccentricity increases, however, you can get some even more exotic spin-orbit resonances, including 2:1, 5:2, 3:1, 7:2, 4:1, 9:2, and 5:1. See Figure 8 in this article (it's near the end): http://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...03EC960C8A8526888FE.c1.iopscience.cld.iop.org

Basically what this means is that in order to get the "weirder" resonances, you need a higher orbital eccentricity. In Mercury's case, at an orbital eccentricity of 0.20, there is a 100% chance that a Mercury-like planet will have a 3:2 resonance and a 30% chance of a 2:1 resonance. A higher orbital eccentricity (around .35), will mean that you get a 2:1 resonance, rather than 3:2.

Here is a link to an online version of the ACCRETE program of Stephen H Dole fame for simulating formation of planetary systems:
http://fast-times.eldacur.com/StarGen/RunStarGen.html

I've seen this before, and it's interesting, but I don't particularly like it. The problem I have with it is that it only gives you solar systems very similar to our own, with an Earth-sized Pluto at the end of it. No Hot Jupiters and no planets with high eccentricity orbits like the ones astronomers are finding. Of course, those systems probably aren't hospitable to Earth-like life.

Hapsburg

Banned
Overhead view of the Milky Way as politically understood by humanity, circa 2390. It has been 9 years since the Republic of Orion won its independence from the Terran Federation. A trade treaty was completed the previous year, and both space nations begin in earnest a friendship and alliance to peacefully expand among the stars and engage in valuable trade with one another.

2390.png